PDA

View Full Version : Akrapovic exhaust system for curvy?

adam_castell
12-11-07, 12:35 PM
been thinking about getting a full exhaust system, Akravopic list a full 'Race Line' system on their website for a 2003 model, will this do for my curvy, or is it just for a pointy?

Cheers

dirtydog
12-11-07, 02:05 PM
that will probably only fit the pointy models.

akrapovic used to do a full system for the curvey, know this as i've got 1 :cool:

northwind
12-11-07, 02:07 PM
Though by all accounts, it's not all that good ;) Probably because it was just about the first SV full system, everyone else got to learn from the Akrapovic design.

adam_castell
12-11-07, 02:35 PM
well found the system

http://bikehps.demonweb.co.uk/acatalog/BikeHPS_OnlineStore_Sport_Production_Race_Systems_ 169.html

what is not so good about it? and any recomendations?

cheers

Biker Biggles
12-11-07, 03:50 PM
Vastly expensive bit of kit for what it delivers.New ones cost half the value of the bike so you need to really want it------?

Paws
12-11-07, 04:12 PM
look on ebay mate, i picked a brand new system off there for my curvy for £160, akrapovich sounds awesome but i wouldnt have paid full price

Ratty46
12-11-07, 04:26 PM
akrapobitching....

love em! both my mates have them, one on a 98 blade, and one on a 2001 R6 both sound awesome, if my pointy hadnt come with a blueflame already on it i would definetly have gone for an akra's!

dirtydog
12-11-07, 05:08 PM
Though by all accounts, it's not all that good ;) Probably because it was just about the first SV full system, everyone else got to learn from the Akrapovic design.

Nowt wrong with it, gives a few extra horses when it's set up properly. You're just jealous ;)

northwind
12-11-07, 06:19 PM
They just don't flow the best, is all. Neither does my WRP for that matter, but it weighs less and cost me £80 so, can't complain :mrgreen:

Biker Biggles is 100% correct of course, buying new makes fairly little sense, you don't get massive gains from any exhaust- and remember to budget for setup too. A slipon on the SV makes massively more sense. However, some of us are idiots 8). Idiotic as I am, I've still done it cheap, you couldn't buy a top-end slipon for what I paid for my system and jetting all-in. Buying used is the way to go really.

But, for a few bhp, it's very expensive. You could get a slipon and do the cam swap, get about the same power and spend a few hundred quid less. Or, you could get a slipon and spend the rest on online poker.

dirtydog
12-11-07, 06:48 PM
They just don't flow the best, is all. Neither does my WRP for that matter, but it weighs less and cost me £80 so, can't complain :mrgreen:

Biker Biggles is 100% correct of course, buying new makes fairly little sense,

It weighs less than the akra?

I totally agree, buying new makes absolutely no sense at all but then again if someone didin't buy it new then we'd not have any second hand bargains to snap up would we :mrgreen:

r4ce_e3nd
12-11-07, 11:23 PM
If you want to buy a new one, take a look in the VS. They are selling Yoshimura systems over there for $740 + shipping costs. I think this is $740/2=£380? Nice price, no? But the question is, do they gain the same or less, and do they look and sound the same (I don't like them thou)?

I got also an Akra system and to be honest, even lost 1bhp with it when I installed it after having an slip on. Notice there were 10000 km's in between the 2 runs and some trackdays. So the engine can have lost a few bhp's.

At this moment I have 80 horses running at the rear wheel with the system, the cam-swap and dyno-jet. Not bad me thinks...

yorkie_chris
12-11-07, 11:39 PM
So with these mods how much longevity will be lost?

northwind
13-11-07, 12:32 AM
If you import it, you might end up getting taxed on it though, not pretty.

Chris, that's the question isn't it... Race End has pretty much the same setup as me, I think realistically there's no big loss of natural life as long as it's set up right, but, there's an increased risk of a shorter term catastrophic fail because of the higher acceleration forces acting on the crank and rods. There'll be a wee bit of increased top end wear because of the more aggressive cams, mind, and the filters are slightly less efficient.

So, if it doesn't spit a rod or, more likely, spin a bearing or snap the generator end off the crank, or some other epic fail, an SV motor's good for 100,000 miles or more no probs. Maybe ours are now good for a wee bit less, but that's not much of a concern, it's the CRACK! noise that we have to worry about.

But I'm not that worried myself. If it does blow up, I've got a spare crank :mrgreen: And it does get really complicated, frinstance, mine pulls from 2500rpm and it's as strong or stronger for a band about 3000rpm wide as a stock SV is at its absolute peak. So, yes, more power causes more stress, but it means I'll sometimes be riding at 6000RPM where most people would drop a gear and ride at 7100RPM or similiar- and dropping the engine speed massively decreases the stresses.

In short- I do not know. But probably not too bad, as an educated guess (not mine, that's the more educated guess of people who really know this stuff, I just copy them like a chimp). Once you start adding moving mass or maximum revs, the risk snowballs though