PDA

View Full Version : LED stop tail bulb

Blue_SV650S
12-11-07, 09:37 PM
I have one of them stupid clear lens rear lights (on it when I got it), BOTH bulbs have now blown, they were standard 21/5w stop&tail bulbs, but painted/coated red ... halfrauds don't do red ones, so I was looking on eBay, they do LED ones for not much more than the normal filament bulbs ...

I like the idea of low power consumption and durability ... anyone ever tried any???

I was looking at these ones in particular as they are the only ones that specifically state they are stop&tail .. other auctions have pics of bulbs with 2 terminals on the bottom, but you can't go by pics ...

anyhoo ...

anyone tried these led bulbs (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-24-LED-RED-1157-P21-5W-TAIL-STOP-straight-bulbs-UK_W0QQitemZ250186185655QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72234QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)?

Do they come out proper red, or orange looking??? are they just as bright as normal bulbs .. are they too bright on side and look like the brakes are on???

Razor
12-11-07, 09:56 PM
Those LED bulbs aren't very bright.

I gave up with the clear lens and fitted the original and bulbs, brighter and the chavs don't give me props anymore.

the_lone_wolf
12-11-07, 10:08 PM
why not upgrade the whole thing to an LED unit?

Something like this? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TL1000-TLR-TLS-SV650-integrated-clear-led-tail-light_W0QQitemZ330187696490QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1053 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

independentphoto
12-11-07, 10:09 PM
No reason not to have LEDs, just make sure that they're up to the job. I fitted a clear lens on the rear of Quedos' silver curvy and it looks good and performs well. Brightness is slightly down on standard, but not much. The technology for LEDs has come on leaps and bounds in a very short period and is now standard on emergency service vehicle lightbars. Now those are used in bright sunlight etc, so the light output has to be high.

Unless you can get someone to demo them, or quote generation 3 LEDs, you'll just need to take a chance. I bought Qs' from an ORGer, so I can't say exactly what lamps they are.

Sorry.

Garry:rolleyes:

Blue_SV650S
12-11-07, 10:52 PM
why not upgrade the whole thing to an LED unit?

Something like this? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TL1000-TLR-TLS-SV650-integrated-clear-led-tail-light_W0QQitemZ330187696490QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1053 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

coz it is 10 times the price of replacement bulbs ... that is why!! ;)

the_lone_wolf
12-11-07, 11:06 PM
coz it is 10 times the price of replacement bulbs ... that is why!! ;)
says the man with three bikes and a go-kart

:p

petevtwin650
13-11-07, 12:25 AM
I've got the clear lense and LED bulbs.

People have been telling me they are bright enough.

Dunno what bulbs they are though as they came with the lense as a kit from Busters.

northwind
13-11-07, 12:42 AM
Same as Pete, mine has the standard LED "bulbs" from the clearalternatives kit. I don't like it that much... THey're good enough, not amazing but not bad either. They don't suffer as badly as some LED products which are very bright, but not really very visible (a very bright point source is harder to see than a less bright area source such as a lamp and reflector). The angular visibility's not amazing, you can get LED packs that have some mounted on the edges to improve this. (like this bad boy, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-36-RED-LED-REAR-BRAKE-TAIL-LIGHT-BULB-1157-380_W0QQitemZ260181969729QQihZ016QQcategoryZ28646Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

But really, I just don't like the way them look with the light on. I'll probably either wire up a full sized board with a load of LEDs on, or buy that Ebay item there, or go back to standard at some point.

Blue_SV650S
13-11-07, 08:28 AM
says the man with three bikes and a go-kart

:p

And why can I afford 3 bikes*???? - coz I don’t waste money like that!! ;)

*To be fair I actually currently have 8 bikes - 3 SVs ;) – oh and yes a gokart, a car AND a van!! :oops:

dirtydog
13-11-07, 08:36 AM
I bought some very similar off of ebay and they were ok although 1 has started flickering when it's on

Will probably go back to the slightly smaller ones I got from www.ultraleds.co.uk (http://www.ultraleds.co.uk) as they seem to be better quality but they are almost double the price

Blue_SV650S
14-11-07, 04:23 PM
Well, I ordered some like northy suggested ...

What I have done as a temporary measure is get some clear ones and covered them in red airfix type paint!!! 8)

To be honest the job is a good-en … I am wondering why I spent a tenner on some LED ones now!! :D

the_lone_wolf
14-11-07, 04:38 PM
To be honest the job is a good-en … I am wondering why I spent a tenner on some LED ones now!! :D
lol, cheaper than a free gift:p:D

Blue_SV650S
14-11-07, 07:32 PM
lol, cheaper than a free gift:p:D

That's me :smt043

Blue_SV650S
20-11-07, 07:56 PM
Got me new bulbs through the post today, like I said, went for the ones like northy suggested, i.e. like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-36-RED-LED-REAR-BRAKE-TAIL-LIGHT-BULB-1157-380_W0QQitemZ260181969729QQihZ016QQcategoryZ28646Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Now they work great ... except for the fact that they are too FAT to insert into the rear light ... basically they are uselss for this application.

They would be fine if you inserted them from the front, but as they have to go through a hole ... no chance!!! ...

What a waste of a tenner :smt022

On the upside, my airfix painted temporary ones worked a treat ... baring in mind the new ones don't fit, they will now become more permanent!! :D

northwind
20-11-07, 08:03 PM
Eh, I never actually suggested them, that was an example of an LED with a wide spread, not a product recommendation... Sorry if that wasn't clear

Blue_SV650S
20-11-07, 08:51 PM
Eh, I never actually suggested them, that was an example of an LED with a wide spread, not a product recommendation... Sorry if that wasn't clear

Don't worry, I am a big boy now!! :D ... it never crossed my mind to check the dimensions ... but it is important for me to report my findings so some poor other sap doesn't make the same mistake!! :smt081

Blue_SV650S
11-12-07, 04:09 PM
Oh FYI, I had a moment of clarity/re-think and managed to use the new bulbs in the end ... :D

Although my undertray means the light has to be removed to unscrew the lens, you can take the lens off can’t you!! 8-[ .. so I took my light out, whipped the lens off and inserted the bulbs in the front rather than the traditional way through the back!! (as like I said, they don’t fit through the insertion hole) … so they are in now and they work really well!! 8)

If you have a standard rear light setup, the overhead in putting them in is minimal as you just remove 2 screws and take the lens off to change the bulbs!! :) Its only my silly undertray that masked the screws and made it a pain to insert the bulbs the new way!! :)