PDA

View Full Version : Depressed

KnightRider
13-11-07, 11:33 PM
For those of you who weren't at the Shire tonight (shame on you Nick7) I thought I would update you on the status of my bike.

Having had a thoroughly miserable ride home (got overtaken by an RR :smt022and was feeling decidedly crap about the SV after Mondays battery problems) someone deceided to reverse into my bike whilst it was parked up. The guy was in a sports car and was parked in a disabled space when he deceided to reverse at speed crashing into my SV and pushing it into the garden and onto its side. He then drove off without so much as a glance toward my bike.

SV has some damage:
Gear lever sheared
Rear left body panel scratched in multiple places
Seat cowl scratched
Crash bung scratched
Rear bobbin scratched
Haven't looked at the rest yet cause it is too dark.

I have a witness (Scifi_blokes mate) but we dont have a number plate. The shire are going to see if they can see the number plate on their CCTV, but they are not holding their breath!

As you can imagine I am now even more ****ed off at the SV and fear that it feels the same way about me. Role on the RR. I am even at the point where I might start looking at new bikes as I'm really hating the SV right now :compcrash:.

Jon

PS - Now I dont want to point fingures but if Nick7 had bothered to show up tonight I am sure that this whole incident wouldn't have happend as I would have parked in my usual spot next to him - sorry mate but this makes you Nick8.

ASM-Forever
13-11-07, 11:35 PM
Look on the bright side....your SV made the ultimate sacrifice to protect the R6. :)

I suggest similar parking arrangements at future meets.

KnightRider
14-11-07, 12:01 AM
Hmmm, I'm parking with Nick8 from now on.

ASM-Forever
14-11-07, 12:05 AM
We will form a ring of most>least valuable bikes, with the R6 at the core. Ummmmm now is yours worth more than the ninja? You'll have to argue that with Nick8.

Oh Sosha has to park hers a few feet away, for the 'lighthouse affect'

KnightRider
14-11-07, 12:33 AM
So all I need to do is buy a bike that is better than the R6 to be in the centre of the ring of steel?

Thats easily done. I almost have the gf convinced about me getting a new bike.

ogden
14-11-07, 09:17 AM
It'll T-Cut out.

KnightRider
14-11-07, 09:53 AM
Damage report:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9581/cimg3586nn8.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6492/cimg3587mz8.jpg
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5945/cimg3589ot2.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2570/cimg3588xh5.jpg

Might need a little bit more than T-Cut!

Warthog
14-11-07, 10:14 AM
Thats a bugger Jon, hope you aren't too depressed about it. Hope they catch that rich b*stard on CCTV, there is always a chance. I volunteer my bike for guard duty next time, with it's light colour and negative value. :)

StreetHawk
14-11-07, 10:27 AM
Mate, that is **** luck you are having at the moment! You only just got that bike back.. If you can afford it, maybe keep the SV for commuting and buy an IL4 Supersports next spring for weekend hooning?

Can't blame me , I wasn't there! Looks like I made the right choice, could have been Ninja down :rambo:

KnightRider
14-11-07, 10:45 AM
Mate, that is **** luck you are having at the moment! You only just got that bike back.. If you can afford it, maybe keep the SV for commuting and buy an IL4 Supersports next spring for weekend hooning?

Can't blame me , I wasn't there! Looks like I made the right choice, could have been Ninja down :rambo:

Was only kidding re blaming you!!!

Not sure I would really want to keep two bikes at the moment so am tempted to just offload the SV and buy something else. Knowing my luck, I'll probably get run over good and proper by the end of the week!

Stig
14-11-07, 11:14 AM
I wish I had turned up now. I could have used the Dullsville to protect ALL the bikes. Anything hitting that, would have had substantial damage to the car. I dropped the Honda 4 times last year in the snow and there was no damage at all. it has great big built in Steel bars as crash bungs. And steel foot levers so you can bend them back into shape.

KnightRider
14-11-07, 11:22 AM
Just called the Shire Horse and the CCTV footage is 'apparently' useless. I am no expert on these systems but what is the point of having them if they cant even make out the lit number plate on a car?

I'm not going to tell the police that the CCTV is rubbish and hope that they request it and take a look at it properly as I am not convinced that the pub manager did a thorough job looking at it (ie looking at all the cars that entered and left the pub and comparing the first digits of the number plates with the ones I have).

Overall I am well ****ed off. Just another reason to sell the f'in thing!

Jon

PS - can anyone feel my anger?

Warthog
14-11-07, 12:32 PM
I'm feeling it Jon! I'd be inclined to agree with you, go to the Police, cos if their CCTV can't cover car park entrances then it is no good at all. Plus you have a partial plate and car ID, so you mihgt be able to match something up.

StreetHawk
14-11-07, 12:40 PM
There are loads of cameras at the shire, must be on one of them.. get the Police involved.

ogden
14-11-07, 12:46 PM
Angle grinder.

ogden
14-11-07, 12:46 PM
Streetfighter it!

Stig
14-11-07, 01:17 PM
Hey, look on the bright side. If you had already traded in the SV for an RR or similar, it would have been that that was knocked over. As it is, it's 'just' the SV. ;)

ASM-Forever
14-11-07, 01:25 PM
Hey, look on the bright side. If you had already traded in the SV for an RR or similar, it would have been that that was knocked over. As it is, it's 'just' the SV. ;)

We've already told him that! But then if you had turned up yesterday, you would of known that. ;)

fat_brstd
14-11-07, 01:53 PM
really sorry to hear that mate, dont take it out on the bike tho its not worth it. As for getting an rr i guess your hearts set on it now but il tell you what wait at least untill ive got my tl back together and then you can have a go on that and then you realise that there are bikes out there that make ss600's look all girly and lame (and there cheeper on the second hand market as well)

KnightRider
14-11-07, 02:03 PM
really sorry to hear that mate, dont take it out on the bike tho its not worth it. As for getting an rr i guess your hearts set on it now but il tell you what wait at least untill ive got my tl back together and then you can have a go on that and then you realise that there are bikes out there that make ss600's look all girly and lame (and there cheeper on the second hand market as well)

I also want to have a go on my mates ducati 748. SuperSport twin could be interesting!

KnightRider
14-11-07, 02:11 PM
So I just got back from reporting the incident to the police and they were about as helpful as a bag of poo.

After going through a massive form with them I am now required to produce my full driving license, insurance certificate, MOT(not that I need it) etc within 7 days or else I get in trouble! I know that they have a job to do but I cant see how any of that is of use considering that I was in the pub at the time of the accident...grrrr.

I am also a little miffed that they cant just check using my registration number and driving license number? If I can get a tax disc online, surely they can check my particulars?

Rant over.

fat_brstd
14-11-07, 02:16 PM
I had to do the same thing mate when i got knocked off my el and the fiesta had legged it. Makes you feel like your the criminal but its all part of the process. rules are rules and all that me lad.

ASM-Forever
14-11-07, 02:34 PM
I also want to have a go on my mates ducati 748. SuperSport twin could be interesting!

Commute on that and i will be the first to laugh when it pops. ;)

KnightRider
14-11-07, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know if I need to contact my insurance company at this stage? Is there any ramification if I dont ie would I still be able to claim if they found that car next week?

philbut
14-11-07, 03:42 PM
Thats really cr*p news Jon, sorry to hear it. What a pr*ck, to just drive off. they must have a CCTV shot of him IN the pub or something, the bast*rd!

As you have now filed a police report, I think you are OK to contact the insurance - you have to within a certain number of days or you can't claim. BUT, the insurance premium hike will no doubt nearly cost as much as fixing the bike, especially if you are looking at getting a IL4 600, so I'd think carefully about whether you just go via the ebay / breakers route first. that first years no claims discount will be very handy when it comes round to insuring a new bike. I'd just fix the SV with second hand bits or live with the scratch and commute on it. With the amount of miles you do, a few scratches won't affect the resale value too much in 6 months. might have to bite the bullet and buy a new lever, jus be glad you had the R&G's fitted!

Could be worse mate, I'm not having the best of times at the mo either - sometimes life just tests us. :smt011

KnightRider
14-11-07, 04:35 PM
Thats really cr*p news Jon, sorry to hear it. What a pr*ck, to just drive off. they must have a CCTV shot of him IN the pub or something, the bast*rd!

As you have now filed a police report, I think you are OK to contact the insurance - you have to within a certain number of days or you can't claim. BUT, the insurance premium hike will no doubt nearly cost as much as fixing the bike, especially if you are looking at getting a IL4 600, so I'd think carefully about whether you just go via the ebay / breakers route first. that first years no claims discount will be very handy when it comes round to insuring a new bike. I'd just fix the SV with second hand bits or live with the scratch and commute on it. With the amount of miles you do, a few scratches won't affect the resale value too much in 6 months. might have to bite the bullet and buy a new lever, jus be glad you had the R&G's fitted!

Could be worse mate, I'm not having the best of times at the mo either - sometimes life just tests us. :smt011

My point re the insurance company is that if the police catch the guy, however unlikely that may be, I would want to claim. If they dont, you are right in saying that there will be no point in claiming.

ASM-Forever
14-11-07, 04:54 PM
My point re the insurance company is that if the police catch the guy, however unlikely that may be, I would want to claim. If they dont, you are right in saying that there will be no point in claiming.

Its pretty certain that there will be a time period in which you must contact your ins.co, in the event of a mishap. If you don't then they won't pay out.

Best to check your T&C's for a definitive answer.

Stig
14-11-07, 05:29 PM
You are duty bound to inform your insurance company of any accident within 48 hours.

The question you have to ask yourself is, is it worth it. Personally, if you are wishing to claim from your insurance to have repairs done, then do it. If your excess is beyond the cost of repairs and the hike in your insurance premium, you would be shooting yourself in the foot. I would have added the cost of trying to sell your bike with a reported accident against the registration too, but you'll already have got that from the previous accident.

Realistically the chance of you catching the person that knocked your bike over are next to zero. So you have nothing to gain by informing the insurance. (If you are not going to claim on it). Insurance companies still note down on your file that you were involved in an accident, regardless of the fact you were not at fault. Your insurance can be effected by non fault claims or reports. If you had a few, they would still class you as a risk to insure and your premium would reflect that.

At the end of the day, the pub were no help and neither were the police. If you were to find out who did it, you would still not have any evidence. Your word against theirs. You wont win.

It would be a shame if their car were to mysteriously have a deep scratch all the way down one side of the car wouldn't it.

StreetHawk
14-11-07, 06:04 PM
Do you know what make/model of car it was? Did you say you had some oif the reg number? What colour car?

KnightRider
14-11-07, 06:41 PM
dark coloured, probably blue sports coupe (like a porsche). Had an unusual reg - LKMM or LKM. The police arent convinced by the number plate and think it might be LK11 or the like.

I think the ape is right. If the police dont come up with anything by tomorrow then I will call it a day and not tell the insurance company. Although technically that is illegal to, and seeing as I have reported it to the police it is on record has having been in an accident.

Looks like I have a catch 22.

Warthog
14-11-07, 10:33 PM
Forget the insurance. Surely if they do end up catching the guy, it would be HIS insurance you would be claiming off??

ASM-Forever
14-11-07, 10:52 PM
Forget the insurance. Surely if they do end up catching the guy, it would be HIS insurance you would be claiming off??

Yes, but then he would still be in breach of HIS contract.

Whilst i havn't seen the damage in good light, i would be inclined to touch up as best possible and then drill/replace the lever.

Law
14-11-07, 11:51 PM
Bugger.

I say fix the bike on the cheap, and sell it asap.

ASM-Forever
15-11-07, 12:15 AM
Bugger.

I say fix the bike on the cheap, and sell it asap.

LMAO.....so many anti-sv comments on a sv site.

I don't think selling is that great an idea financially. Best case scenario, Jon ends up all square(i think its on finance but cant remember for sure) but he will still have lost all the cash he has paid thus far. Realistically though how much can you get for an SV....especially at this time of year.

Assuming he were to go for the CBR, then that would be double the amount on finance and then increased insurance costs. Whilst 1 years NCB isn't much, its more than he has now!

But what do i know. :p

KnightRider
15-11-07, 08:09 AM
Will keep the SV until I get a new job (which is hopefully closer) and then consider an upgrade if the distance is not excessive.

The SV is on finance, but am paying it off this month so thats not a problem. In terms selling prices if I did sell the SV, I would assume that second hand supersport bikes will be comparitevely cheaper than the SV at this time of year cause an SV is a good winter bike - not that this is founded on any proper research!

Still not sure what to do regarding the insurance!

ogden
15-11-07, 08:41 AM
Even the most mint, recent, low-mileage SV isn't going to fetch much more than 2.5k at this time of year, and there are shedloads around so you wouldn't have much of a basis for haggling. If it's all scraped up with bent/missing levers, etc, then you're going to be knocking a fair bit off that value as well.

And ignore the value of any extra bits (exhaust, etc) - they add zero to the value of the bike and, if you have the originals, you're best off flogging the shiny bits separately on ebay.

ASM-Forever
15-11-07, 11:13 AM
Even the most mint, recent, low-mileage SV isn't going to fetch much more than 2.5k at this time of year, and there are shedloads around so you wouldn't have much of a basis for haggling. If it's all scraped up with bent/missing levers, etc, then you're going to be knocking a fair bit off that value as well.

And ignore the value of any extra bits (exhaust, etc) - they add zero to the value of the bike and, if you have the originals, you're best off flogging the shiny bits separately on ebay.

I have to agree with all of that.

Law
15-11-07, 12:28 PM
LMAO.....so many anti-sv comments on a sv site.

whoops, forgot my there's some truth in my post but I wasn't being too serious smilie.

If I had my nice shiny black SV broken :rolleyes: I'd fix it with pattern parts and sell it in Spring or whenever my insurance was gonna run out....

The SV is a great little bike. I bigged up the SV, happy now ASM? ;)

KnightRider
15-11-07, 04:35 PM
Anyone got a good online source for gear levers (dont need to be suzuki parts thought). Need one for my K7 and am not willing to pay the £50 that spares direct are asking for!

Have the bolt in there for the time being but not sure how long that will last and also want something that will protect my boots from getting ripped!

ASM-Forever
15-11-07, 04:41 PM
SVspares..or whatever they are called.

Might also be worth putting an ad in the wanted section/asking people breaking bikes.

Fat-******* might still have the gear lever left over from his SV. Could be worth a PM.

I'm sure you've already checked ebay.

fat_brstd
16-11-07, 12:37 PM
if i had a gear lever id give it to you but that was the first part to go when i started braking my bike. people are always after them. Ive got clutch and brake levers if thats any help?

StreetHawk
16-11-07, 12:44 PM
Try Motts Motorcyles in Basingstoke or Steve Jordan near Boxhill..

Mark_h
16-11-07, 04:16 PM
Bernies bike breakers in Aldershot always worth a try. He has an ebay shop something like "bernies bikes" where he lists all his bits. Can go and pick it up in person to save the usual ebay delays.