PDA

View Full Version : Pod Filters

phizog
16-11-07, 06:25 AM
Hey I'm looking at buying a set of pod filters for my SV, as well as 1/2 " tank risers. Wondering if anyone had experience using them? Do I take off the whole airbox and put these on? Or do they just plug in, into the airbox? :S

Thanks for any info you can give.

charlie13
16-11-07, 08:27 AM
Think i'm right in saying you remove the airbox and plug the pod's straight on the carb intakes. The tank raisers will of course give a bit more clearance twixt tank and frame and in theory allow more airflow in to carbs. Seen a couple of folks with them but haven't triied them myself. But just remember the carbs will more than likely need jetting properly if you do these changes.

phizog
16-11-07, 08:58 AM
Ahk, so the whole airbox will be replaced by the sounds of it :D

Awesome! Should make for some serious induction sound, not to mention extra airflow/extra grunt - yeah I intend on getting the carbs rejetted after I've done this airbox and exhaust mod.

21QUEST
16-11-07, 09:23 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't bother.....especially for a road bike(?)

A search should bring up(if you are lucky) one or two threads on Pods

Ben

phizog
16-11-07, 09:59 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't bother.....especially for a road bike(?)

A search should bring up(if you are lucky) one or two threads on Pods

Ben

Boring! I have 3 months until I can ride it (license), so I need something to occupy me. Not to mention that I want to get some sweet induction sound, and everything running most efficiency. Not doing it for a need for the extra power, just a want for the best midrange :)

edit: and I've tried searching, cant find a thing.

northwind
16-11-07, 10:13 AM
It's a big job, for the carbed SV, not just a case of jetting, IIRC to get it running right you also need to drill out the main air jet, or similiar. That's assuming you use the biggest pods you can fit in there, the alternative is the Renegade approach, you can use pokey wee filters that don't actually flow very well and that way you don't have such an extreme change of flow.

But, this is fairly second hand, there are people on here who know more, or, another option is to get the relevant factory pro air kit which comes with the full instructions.

phizog
16-11-07, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the input, the ones I'm looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SV650-Pod-Air-Filters-Premium-Race-Ready-SV-99-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35597QQihZ012QQitemZ 220134610698QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

northwind
16-11-07, 11:12 PM
Hmm, I don't know the product but they've done some reading at the very least. The jet sizes they quote aren't as big as you'd usually expect with pods I think... New one by me though.

zadar
16-11-07, 11:57 PM
dont know what brand those are but same looking K&N pods will require main jets at around 210-220 in size.
if you do it right and tune it properly you may gain 1-2 hp.

Razor
17-11-07, 01:00 AM
Forget that idea, get the BMC filter instead.

northwind
17-11-07, 01:24 AM
Zadar, what do you reckon of the Factory Pro option, CRB-S36-3.7-RK3? I notice they mention carb machining required, which ties in with the old SVRider article and my half-remembered PMs from you ages back.

(I like Factory Pro, Marc came through really well for me a while back, but now that every third sentence on their website is "Ya boo, all other dynos suck" I'm starting to get a bit fed up with them :smt045)

ThEGr33k
17-11-07, 01:35 AM
Ive read you dont get a major increase in air flow, its a bit of a gimmick... I cant remember where i saw the review but if i remember right a performance filter and snorkel removal (centre of air filter removed will have the same effect, if not better... and the noise is there for cirtain!)

:smt077

Grinch
17-11-07, 01:55 AM
You'd be better of doing a snorkel removal on the air filter for some nice induction noise, I asked about this last year with some K&N pods and it seemed the opinion is its a waste of time.

zadar
17-11-07, 04:54 AM
Zadar, what do you reckon of the Factory Pro option, CRB-S36-3.7-RK3? I notice they mention carb machining required, which ties in with the old SVRider article and my half-remembered PMs from you ages back.

(I like Factory Pro, Marc came through really well for me a while back, but now that every third sentence on their website is "Ya boo, all other dynos suck" I'm starting to get a bit fed up with them :smt045)
have no clue what that option is.I dont even remember last time I have seen stock carbs :)

phizog
17-11-07, 05:44 AM
Forget that idea, get the BMC filter instead.

Fine! :D

Was talking to some friends today who explained that I'd have to pay a fortune trying to get it jetted properly. I'll just get a bmc or k&n :)

Thanks for the advice though.

northwind
17-11-07, 02:17 PM
have no clue what that option is.I dont even remember last time I have seen stock carbs :)

Heh, good answer, cheers :thumbsup:

yorkie_chris
17-11-07, 06:50 PM
If you were actually to do this, then you'd need to adapt some sort of catch can on the oil breather pipes.
Or point the breathers at the chain and have a hillbilly scottoiler

Robw#70
17-11-07, 09:10 PM
If you were actually to do this, then you'd need to adapt some sort of catch can on the oil breather pipes.
Or point the breathers at the chain and have a hillbilly scottoiler

No you just use the std breather box that is screwed to the airbox.

Just dont expect any midrange improvement (lucky if you match let alone gain) with seperate filters.
Without using air-correctors I can't see how the 162 jets required with those filters would ever be close, unless the filters flow like S&B's:smt081