PDA

View Full Version : weird rattle

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 12:50 PM
At about 4k revs i can hear a weird noise coming from the engine, sounds like a rattle or something loose buzzing about. Is it normal?
If not anybody got any ideas and has it happened to you?

Main thing is, is it going to be costly lol?

Paws
20-11-07, 12:59 PM
cam chain rattle?

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 01:10 PM
How do i fix it if it is?

Paws
20-11-07, 01:11 PM
Do a search for cam chain/ cam chain hun :)

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 01:27 PM
Just took a video, have a listen?

YOUTUBERERER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK6McIzVpL4)

Paws
20-11-07, 01:41 PM
Hmmm, unsure now, ask one of the more mechanical minded guys like northwind/jester/tsm/rictus

jambo
20-11-07, 01:41 PM
it's a bit hard to tell from the video but I'd be taking that rattle seriously.

As Paws suggests, do a search on cam chain adjusters, they tend to seize up. If this gets too bad it can be very expensive.

Does your bike have the right amount of oil in it? and how often do you check this?

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 02:00 PM
Only had the bike a month or so, haven't ridden it yet as haven't done test, wasn't like it when i first got it n my dad took it for a test ride (or i didnt notice it) never checked oil, will do now

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 02:03 PM
Cant see how to check oil as dont have a dipstick or window?? How do you do it and if there is a window where is it?

I think its the cam chain tensioner, it stops at about 6k and starts at 4?

Do you think its serious

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 02:04 PM
Also on vid sounds a bit different, in real life it actually sounds like a chain hitting the side? But i dunno

jambo
20-11-07, 02:15 PM
Ok, To check your oil level hold the bike level, and look at the sight glass on the right hand side at the back of the engine block. It's probably hidden behind your fairing lowers. The oil should be between the upper and lower line. Please lets not be having another massive oil level checking debate in this thread it's been done to death lately.

Check your oil once a week.

I know it's tempting but continually starting a bike and running it for a bit to listen to while you wait for your test does it no favours. I'm sure it won't do it any massive damage, but it won't help matters.

Start by searching for cam chain tensioners and go from there.

HTH

Jambo

P.S For a long winded debate on oil levels, please add to this thread here (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=100401)
A useful thread on cam chain rattles here (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=87198&highlight=chain+rattle)

Paws
20-11-07, 02:34 PM
Another bit of advice
STOP panicking/worrying hun :) your in safe hands with these guys :)

hovis
20-11-07, 02:36 PM
take it to spannerman

if Mansfield notts is near you

jambo
20-11-07, 03:06 PM
take it to spannerman

the AA route planner has it as about 75 miles away. As he's not passed his test yet, riding it down may be a little problomatic though....

Spanner Man
20-11-07, 03:10 PM
take it to spannerman

Cheers for the plug Hovis:D

From what I can make out from the video it sounds like it could be cam chain rattle.
It sounds quite severe, I would get it looked at sharpish, for if it is a tensioner that's gone awry it could let go completely & your engine will be lunched.:(

Cheers.

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 03:25 PM
If i have it serviced will they sort all that out for me? Also i cant ride it atm so it will just be sitting there till i pass my test, about xmas hopefully

jambo
20-11-07, 03:38 PM
If you look at my earlier post there's a link to a cam chain rattle thread. A complete step by step guide to fixing it is in there. Won't cost the earth or take you forever.

But as stated above. Don't panic. Do get it sorted.

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 04:08 PM
Just wanna know one thing, will it do any damage taking it 20mins down the road to the bike garage?

jambo
20-11-07, 04:53 PM
Just wanna know one thing, will it do any damage taking it 20mins down the road to the bike garage?

I can comprehensively say "maybe"

Its so hard to say how bad the issue is from the video. If the cam chains are loose and rattling about it may be just fine to start it up and run it 20 minutes down the road. It may be fine for the next 3,000 miles, I've certainly heard plenty of SVs with bad rattles that have been fine for quite a while. The problem is, if it does jump the teeth on the cam shaft your timing goes out in a heartbeat and the cams force the valves down into a piston. Then you're looking at proper money to put it right.

Given how wonderfully well documented the fix is, and how little mechanical knowledge is needed to get this sorted. I'd do it yourself.

You've got a month. Read through the how to bit, and if needed get someone round and bribe them with beer to take a look. Give them the beer AFTER they've looked at it.:p

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 04:56 PM
lol sounds a plan to me :D

ljharmitt
20-11-07, 05:08 PM
if i cant fix it will it get done on a service cause gotta get it serviced anyway so....?

Spanner Man
20-11-07, 05:31 PM
Evening all.

I wouldn't run the engine if I were you, for as stated sometimes they rattle for quite some time, & sometimes they don't! It will be big money if you have a meeting of valves & pistons.

It should get fixed during a service, but to be on the safe side I would mention it to whoever you take the bike to.
Sometimes tensioners can be freed off, & sometimes they need replacement. Get a quote for either option.

Cheers.