PDA

View Full Version : i know i know i know!

sv-robo
21-11-07, 04:40 PM
i know another tyre thread,so i,ll apologise in advance(VERY VERY SORRY)
all i want to know(if anybody knows)is on a brand new d220 (front)how much tread depth should there be on the centre lines?also now ive got you under my power(look around the eyes,not in the eyes but around the eyes)how much tread depth should a new d220 rear have?

the reason for these questions is on my front the centre tread depth is at 2mm and need to gauge how many miles it has left before replacement,also i often take my 7yr old son out quite often and his safety has to be paramount.

many thanx.

fizzwheel
21-11-07, 05:22 PM
It'll have more than 2mm ;)

I dont know, but I think the legal minimum is 1mm across 75% of the tyre. With 2mm left and the weather being wet cr@ppy and horrible then if it were me I'd be getting that tyre changed if I was intending to ride through the winter. Remember its a legal minimum tread depth not a suggested one....

I'm_a_Newbie
21-11-07, 10:52 PM
It's not the centre that wears fastest on the front, you need to worry about the tread about an inch or so off centre.

Tim.

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 11:06 PM
2mm, IMO is about the minimun that can still shed water.

This was advice given to me by an experienced bike mechanic, and my bt010s with about that left were scary in the wet.

metalmonkey
21-11-07, 11:21 PM
Legal is 1mm, but as Chris said I would change it....I just rode home in the rain, i wouldn't like to be doing that on worn tyres, end of the day its your choice

Lozzo
22-11-07, 07:42 PM
It's a D220, I'd change it anyway.

ThEGr33k
24-11-07, 11:30 PM
Change it and go for some Michelin Pilot road 2, they are great in the wet, not had any bad feel from them yet! :-D

kcowgergmm
25-11-07, 04:48 AM
+1 i hate them

John 675
25-11-07, 08:17 AM

+ 1 MILLION
I hated these tyres! in winter they felt like ice skates!
ive got Z6s on now, but im moving to dual compound when the bike comes out after winter

Dangerous Dave
25-11-07, 03:18 PM
Ditch the D220's and fit either a set of Avon AV45/46 or Micheling Pilot Road 2. I would say the Avon's, on my 4th set now, but to I'm am gonna be honest and say that the Michelins will go on next as I haven't tried them but a lot of SV people are rating them.

The D220's I had on a hire SV for a week, and my old man's new pointy, were awful in the dry and damn scary in the cold 'n' wet.

yorkie_chris
25-11-07, 04:00 PM
Avon storms, good tyre.

John 675
25-11-07, 04:06 PM
Ditch the D220's and fit either a set of Avon AV45/46 or Micheling Pilot Road 2. I would say the Avon's, on my 4th set now, but to I'm am gonna be honest and say that the Michelins will go on next as I haven't tried them but a lot of SV people are rating them.

The D220's I had on a hire SV for a week, and my old man's new pointy, were awful in the dry and damn scary in the cold 'n' wet.

two of my Three crashes were because of those cheap tyres lost traction when i needed them the most.. and to be honest has left me NO confidence in dunlop at all lol,...

fizzwheel
25-11-07, 04:36 PM
two of my Three crashes were because of those cheap tyres lost traction when i needed them the most.. and to be honest has left me NO confidence in dunlop at all lol,...

You shoudl ride to how much grip you have not rely on your tyres to get you out of the sh*t when you got yourself into it in the first place by riding at a speed or apply a braking force, to much lean etc etc that was inappropriate for the road conditions.

John 675
25-11-07, 05:03 PM
You shoudl ride to how much grip you have not rely on your tyres to get you out of the sh*t when you got yourself into it in the first place by riding at a speed or apply a braking force, to much lean etc etc that was inappropriate for the road conditions.

which i totally agree with mate, however i was coming to a junction on one occasion and it was wet, then they just gave way under normal breaking mate i wasnt speeding nor was i in a tight spot, they just lost traction :confused:

fizzwheel
25-11-07, 05:21 PM
then they just gave way under normal breaking mate

So you might argue that you were braking to hard for the road conditons or you hadnt allowed extra room because it was wet etc etc

they just lost traction :confused:

Tyres D220's or not, dont just loose traction, road conditions, wet dry etc, manhole cover, white lines etc etc, all reduce grip. Diesel is like riding on ice. If you've not made allowances for it then you'll come off. But sometimes its difficult to spot Diesel.

Sorry but I dont see how you can blame tyres.

John 675
25-11-07, 05:56 PM
So you might argue that you were braking to hard for the road conditons or you hadnt allowed extra room because it was wet etc etc

Tyres D220's or not, dont just loose traction, road conditions, wet dry etc, manhole cover, white lines etc etc, all reduce grip. Diesel is like riding on ice. If you've not made allowances for it then you'll come off. But sometimes its difficult to spot Diesel.

Sorry but I dont see how you can blame tyres.

fair argument, diesel could of played a part and i didnt see it, i blame the tyres because there rubbish mate, ive ridden all last year on them and 6 months on the Z6s and the Z6s have not stepped out or spun in the wet.. they are a much better tyre, same if you put d220s against 021's
there is no way in hell you would have d220's on your gixer, but you would the 021's because they are less likely to slip on you as they are better tyres.

ThEGr33k
25-11-07, 06:06 PM
I gotto say my Michelin Pilot road 2 feel a lot better, but then i never had any major problems with the D220's and that was riding in the north yorkshire dales in winter.

I have a feeling lylej you had diesel issues! Ive been off on diesel on my older bike and it happens so fast there is no comming back. I have a strong feeling you have felt the effect of desiel.

My advice for wet weather riding is do not break with front breaks if you can get away with it! (if you lock the front thats it your off!), keep an eye out for roundabouts near fuel stations, though any roundabout should be treat as suspect. Basically ride with the intent of only using the rear brake!

This is all through experience so please please take notice and take care in the wet!

fizzwheel
25-11-07, 06:06 PM
I just think that alot of people blame the D220 when they should be looking at their riding style / how they could ride better and use the tyre that they've got thats all. I

If your spining up / sliding any tyre then you are'nt riding to the road conditions IMHO. Rubbish tyres or not.

I think your confusing Grip with Feel, the one thing I would say about the D220 is that you can't always feel what the tyre is doing, I suspect the grip is there but you cant use it as you cant feel what the limit of the tyre is. Whereas something like the Z6 you can use the grip because the tyre is more responsive and offers more feedback.

I feel the same about Bridgestones I could never tell what my GSXR was doing with the 014's on it if it was wet / cold, they are incredibly vague. No I wouldnt put D220's on my GSXR, but then I wouldnt put 021's on it either...

Dangerous Dave
26-11-07, 11:24 AM
The last few posts have been correct, you need to ride within your limits. That doesn't mean that if you could ride like Rossi then you will do at all times! Your limit depends on you, your bike (including tyres), the conditions, and your surroundings!

For the back brake only suggestion, fit a wavey disc and EBC sintered pads, it makes a huge difference!

As for the D220's if these are your first tyres on an SV then you should be learning the bike and its limits first and not blaming the tyres for your mistakes/mis-calculations. However, if you have fitted D220's after Avons, Bridgestones, Michelins, etc.... you could easily find that the D220's are of a very poor performance compared to its rivals. They do just let go!!!!

As I said in my previous post, I love the Avon AV45/46 on an SV with 80bhp. Plenty of wet/dry/cold grip and also the deepest tread of the current favourites. They do last longer, about 1 1/2 of the life of Bridgestones 020, and thats with daily commutes (and blasts) all year round!

sv-robo
26-11-07, 01:05 PM
That doesn't mean that if you could ride like Rossi then you will do at all times! As I said in my previous post, I love the Avon AV45/46 on an SV with 80bhp.

what have you had done to your bike to bring it up to 80bhp?:p
sv-rossi

oops sorry meant sv-robo

Dangerous Dave
26-11-07, 04:43 PM
I got it looked at by the guys at JHS Racing, the SV tuners!

M4 full system, Cams, BMC Filter, Dynojet, G-Pack, and a few home made goodies. Possibly a bored out engine next year.

www.jhsracing.co.uk (http://www.jhsracing.co.uk)

John 675
26-11-07, 04:52 PM
what work did you have done dave?

Dangerous Dave
26-11-07, 06:02 PM
M4 full system (High level), JHS Cams, BMC Filter, Dynojet, G-Pack, and a few home made goodies. GSXR front end and an ohlins shock.

John 675
26-11-07, 07:02 PM
M4 full system (High level), JHS Cams, BMC Filter, Dynojet, G-Pack, and a few home made goodies. GSXR front end and an ohlins shock.

wouldnt mind seeing aa pic of that mate.. did it cost alot? sounds like about £2000 + labour for the job?

kcowgergmm
26-11-07, 07:28 PM
I just think that alot of people blame the D220 when they should be looking at their riding style / how they could ride better and use the tyre that they've got thats all. I

If your spining up / sliding any tyre then you are'nt riding to the road conditions IMHO. Rubbish tyres or not.

I think your confusing Grip with Feel, the one thing I would say about the D220 is that you can't always feel what the tyre is doing, I suspect the grip is there but you cant use it as you cant feel what the limit of the tyre is. Whereas something like the Z6 you can use the grip because the tyre is more responsive and offers more feedback.

I feel the same about Bridgestones I could never tell what my GSXR was doing with the 014's on it if it was wet / cold, they are incredibly vague. No I wouldnt put D220's on my GSXR, but then I wouldnt put 021's on it either...

well in my wreck if the tires had of been better or i had of been better it it wouldn't have happened. so the easiest thing to do is replace the tires and work on riding skills which are much better then they use to be

sv-robo
26-11-07, 07:33 PM
wouldnt mind seeing aa pic of that mate.. did it cost alot? sounds like about £2000 + labour for the job?

like most people seem to say,if your going to spend that much tuning the sv maybe its just better to save your cash and spend it on a bigger bike.

Well Oiled
26-11-07, 07:49 PM
IMO if you're on a budget Conti Road attacks can't be beat for all round perfomance.

got Pirelli diablos on my K4 right now but the road attacks on my old SV felt just as good.

John 675
26-11-07, 08:30 PM
like most people seem to say,if your going to spend that much tuning the sv maybe its just better to save your cash and spend it on a bigger bike.

i think sometimes it comes down to how much you like your machines, id spend that much because id like my machine to be the best it can be.. dont ever plan on selling it so.. when i get my next bike gixer 750 for example.. id do the same with that. its just how i am lol,
:)

sv-robo
27-11-07, 10:39 AM
fair point.....i,ll get my coat.:thumbsup:

Dangerous Dave
28-11-07, 02:38 PM

Because I love my curvy SV650's, V-Twin power, light weight, cheap insurance, reliability, adaptability, etc,etc........