PDA

View Full Version : SV1000 part Identification

Mark_h
21-11-07, 09:56 PM
What's this then?

I found it when rummaging in the box of bits that came with the bike. It has a heavily modified induction system on it so I expect its some kind of tree hugging emissions control thingy.

Is it anything special?

Given it's in a box and not on the bike is there anything I should be paying particular attention to?

Cheers,
Mark

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 10:23 PM
I would guess at PAIR valve, thats usually removed when tinkering.

Lissa
21-11-07, 10:29 PM
Think YC is right, does this look familiar?
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/Lissasv650/Sv1000.jpg

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 10:32 PM
Check the heads for the installation of blanking plates on the cam covers

Mark_h
21-11-07, 10:38 PM
That's the one.

So what does it do and what if any issues can I expect given it's not doing it?

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 10:41 PM
Riiiight

Its a silly, longhaired, treehugging hippy thing.

It feeds air into the exhaust on the overrun to reduce emissions, when you fit a can or a system then it causes a lot of backfiring.

Thats all it does, leave it off.

Mark_h
21-11-07, 10:46 PM
Consider it left off.

Now all I need to do is get some cans for it. It came with a monster 2 into 1 super loud high level system which would have got me strung up by the neighbours. I've put the stock 2 into 2 back on for now but given it has very open induction and now very restrictive exhaust I dread to think what it's doing to the fueling set-up.

Will probably treat myself to a pair of CCC cans again. One sounded acceptable (with baffels in. Horrible with them out) on my 650 so I'm hoping 2 will sound good on the 1000 and get it back to breathing more or less like it was when it was dyno'd by the previous owner who clearly had deaf neighbours or never went out early.

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 10:51 PM
Stop being soft, the neighbors will be deaf in no time.

Mark_h
21-11-07, 10:55 PM
Trust me it was too loud. Full race system with high level can and direct induction . Was actually painful over 8k ! Even with the standard cans on the induction banging away is still plenty loud. Swapping out the end cans will save about a quarter tonne of cats and cover up the sound of the rattling clutch too :)

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 10:56 PM
Direct like bellmouths or a K&N / desnorkelled thing?

Mark_h
21-11-07, 11:21 PM
Looks like a flat red rubber surround to a fairly open filter and no lid at all on the airbox. Had an M4 titanium full race system too. Dyno'd at 111.8 hp at the rear wheel according to the print out up from 101 torque up from 59 to 67.4. JHS racing fixed up the induction and exhaust guess it actually made a performance difference as well as a lot more noise. He also ran if for a bit with a larger rear sprocket. Must have gone like stink.

Lissa
21-11-07, 11:26 PM
Stop being soft, the neighbors will be deaf in no time.

+1

But cut down all the trees in the neighbourhood, just in case they start looking for a rope:D

yorkie_chris
21-11-07, 11:28 PM
Looks like a flat red rubber surround to a fairly open filter and no lid at all on the airbox. Had an M4 titanium full race system too. Dyno'd at 111.8 hp at the rear wheel according to the print out up from 101 torque up from 59 to 67.4. JHS racing fixed up the induction and exhaust guess it actually made a performance difference as well as a lot more noise. He also ran if for a bit with a larger rear sprocket. Must have gone like stink.

Pfffffffft

Still wouldn't be a patch on a TLS

Mark_h
22-11-07, 09:22 AM
But stand a chance of getting back from a ride without having to recover the bike from a hedge :)

kwak zzr
22-11-07, 09:24 AM
i dunno about that:)

yorkie_chris
22-11-07, 12:23 PM
:smt044

Most of the people I've chatted to think the reputation is worse than the bike, the only guy who actually confirmed the reputation had removed all the fairings, junked the damper and dropped the forks 4-5mm. Rather sharp apparently.
He wouldn't let me have a go though.