PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem/HT Cable Voltage?

The_Noose
22-11-07, 01:32 AM
alright guys
i have a sv, had her for jus over a year. love it to bits, spent alot of time and money turning it into what i take as my perfect bike.

so over the past 2 months, sumtimes it wudnt start, it wud make the battery noise, but the engine wudnt ignite, then i wud run me battery flat.
all i normally need to do is put the charger leads on, and it starts first time.

then after a while, i wud have to charge me battery every nite and even in the morning after a full nights charge, it wudnt ignite, and the battery power was lasting for about 3 clicks and dying.

so i put a new battery in it today and it started about first time for the first 8 or 9 times, all of these of a warm enigne. but then i let it get cold and bamm, its doing it again.
engine noise is working only the engine wasnt igniting.

so alot of my biker friends have said find the altornator voltage and HT cable voltage then he will test them to see if their the problems.
hes also suggested taking a look at my plugs, which we will do at the weekend.
so i am going to, but does anyone know these voltage levels becaus ei cant find them anywere?

tar.
Stuie.

Spanner Man
22-11-07, 07:45 AM
Good morning.

It sounds like a charging problem to me. Get it running & check the voltage across the battery terminals, you should get at least 14 volts dc at 5000rpm with the lights on.

Alternator testing is a little more involved, is your bike a carburettor model or an injection one?

Cheers.

The_Noose
22-11-07, 01:50 PM
well dude thats gonna be tricky, as ermm.. i have no rev counter, lol. am sure i can get a wild guess. thats for them numbers i will try that this weekend.

and erm its a sv650s 1999 mate so i dont know, you might, lol.

yorkie_chris
22-11-07, 04:16 PM
i have no rev counter,

Why no rev counter?

Yes it'll be carbed since its a 99

Just guess at the revs, doesn't have to be screaming its nuts off

The_Noose
23-11-07, 12:33 AM
hey guys did that today and everything seemed to be fine..

got new plugs in it and its firing up first time every time tonight but i still have this awful feeling that tomorra morning in the freezing cold its gonna tell me to go F myself.

and hehe why does my sv have no clocks. how do i post a picture and i will show you why my friend ;)

The_Noose
23-11-07, 12:42 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/The_Noose/PICT0020ed.jpghttp://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/The_Noose/MOV00424_0001.jpg

yorkie_chris
23-11-07, 12:44 AM
Sweet :cool:

The_Noose
23-11-07, 12:45 AM
theirs a picture of the bike as i work on it and one playing on an industrial estate with me girlfriend in 5th gear ;)
and i hate showing a picture without a picture of me also, so heres the face behind the helmet.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m83/The_Noose/100_3929.jpg

yorkie_chris
23-11-07, 12:52 AM
, so heres the face behind the helmet.

For the greater good, mine shall remain behind a black visor :-P

The_Noose
24-11-07, 12:49 AM
haha u cant be that bad ;)
yeah mate my sv has started from stone cold twice today so am happy, well in uni i clicked it once an it caught but didnt quite get goin, tuk me finger of the starter, gave it 10 seconds, did it again an all was well. so todays a gudun.

yorkie_chris
24-11-07, 12:55 AM
I try to resist the temptation to wheelie the SV, not sure how much truth there is in the rumours ... but do let me know if your big ends start rumbling :p

The_Noose
26-11-07, 12:13 PM
my big ends.. now my mate had a zx10 and blew his big ends and kwakka were puzzled as it was a brand new bike and it hadnt happend before.
so what are my big ends and i will keep an ear out for them.
and would you like to see a video of what i put my sv650 threw.