PDA

View Full Version : Starter Control Relay - where is it?

BrianP
24-11-07, 11:02 PM
I have an SV that has decided to not start(at least off the starter switch). After putting everything back together after setting the valves, I hit the switch and the starter motor turned over for a fraction of a second, and then stopped. I found that a wire had broken where it is soldered in the switch so I fixed that. However, I still get nothing out of the starter. I thought that the starter relay might have gone bad. However, I jumpered 12 volts and a ground to the connections for the relay, and it activated. I've tried following the circuits for the starter and have followed 12 volts through the ignition switch, on/off switch, starter switch and the clutch position switch. The next item in the circuit is the starter control relay, which may be the problem since the starter relay itself seems to work.

However, I can't find that relay. Anyone know where it is? Possibly back by the regulator?

Oh, I jumpered from the battery directly to the starter motor and the bike did start and run fine, so at least I didn't mess up setting the valves. And since it did run, it looks like the kickstand and neutral switches are OK.

yorkie_chris
24-11-07, 11:32 PM
Pointy or curvy?

If its curvy then just put the +ve out of the killswitch to the starter button, then the wire out of the button straight to the main relay, this will eliminate the side stand and relay as potential failure points.

YZEtc
25-11-07, 12:16 AM
If you're talking about the relay I'm thinking of, the battery's positive lead runs straight to it.
Not sure of any other starter relay.

yorkie_chris
25-11-07, 12:23 AM
Theres another relay next to the fusebox, its a combined indicator flasher and starter relay.

Sidestand being up allows current to flow from the switch to the main relay.

YZEtc
25-11-07, 12:37 AM
Ain't that the turnsignal/side stand relay?

yorkie_chris
25-11-07, 12:58 AM
Yes it is, and it controls the starter circuit.

YZEtc
25-11-07, 01:12 AM
I see what you mean.

BrianP
25-11-07, 06:07 AM
The turnsignal/sidestand relay is not the same as the starter control relay, which is not the same as the starter relay itself. At least that is the way I read the wiring diagram. But I don't seem to be able to find the thing.

YZEtc
25-11-07, 12:58 PM
Got me, there.
Just what publication are you reading that has this wiring schematic?
And, what year and model bike is this?

Lissa
25-11-07, 01:03 PM
On a curvy the relay is down where the two 30amp fuses are, under the right hand infill panel.

BrianP
25-11-07, 03:03 PM
The wiring diagram I am using is from Suzuki's service manual for the SV650. According to the diagram, There are three connections to the Starter Control Relay- A yellow/black wire that goes to both the diode and the start relay, a yellow/green that is connected back to the Clutch lever position switch (which provides voltage to activate the Starter Control Relay, and a Black/White that connects into the grounding circuit. I've tried folling the Yellow/Green to the relay from the Clutch switch, and the Yellow/Black back from the Starter Relay to the Starter Control Relay and in both cases the wires just disappear into the wiring loom and I can't tell where they go to find the Starter Control Relay. Mind you, that relay may not be the problem, but after a somewhat unorganized attempt to get the starter working, I decided to trace step by step the circuit that activates the Starter Relay. The Starter Control relay is the next step and has me stuck for now.

yorkie_chris
25-11-07, 04:05 PM
for the sake of getting the bike to run, omit the relay entirely, the earth does nothing, the clutch switch give the live and the output to the diode is what energises the main relay.
Route the wire from the clutch switch direct to the starter relay.

BrianP
25-11-07, 10:36 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I tried jumpering around starter relay connector to get power to the bike and then jumpering power directly to the starter relay and it fired right up. So, after a some more tracing the wiring trying to find the problem I just hooked everything back up and hit the button and it started. :D

Seems like in all my taking things apart/putting back together I must have connected something that was loose. Hopefully it is that and not an intermittent short or a wire broken inside the insulation. Either way, the starter switch definitely was also bad and had to be fixed.

I've been riding my wife's scooter to work while the SV was down, and while that was fun in its own way, it's nice to be back on the SV.

beabert
13-03-10, 07:45 PM
I have the same question.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/3484/relay.png