PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit c**p

Alpinestarhero
28-11-07, 11:44 AM
Hi guys, thought I'd post this here since most of you lot are in the same boat as me, i.e. commuting round london (or playing around london). Anyway, I feel like a bit of a cack rider today. I seem to be getting in every other bikers way when filtering, not so much crossing into their path but because I can't go fast enough (limited by my own confidence) I feel like I'm holding up the riders coming up behind me. I try and move out of their way as soon as I can, and let them go in front, but I still feel bad for holding them up. It dosnt help that riders behind me dont leave as much of a gap between us as I do whem I'm behind other riders, so I'm scared of braking suddenly after bottling out from going into a gap between cars that I think I might not fit through

Anyway, if any of you get caught up behind me then just be patient, I'll move over as soon as I can and you can make your merry way to where-ever :)

How do you guys do it? I dont suppose all of you filter quickly but I never really get out of second gear when traffic is stationary, and never out of third gear. If the traffic is doing 30 mph, then I sit with the traffic.

Matt

Biker Biggles
28-11-07, 11:57 AM
Sounds sensible to me.All too easy to get pressured into riding outside your comfort zone.All too easy to be impressed by the uncanny ability and skill of others who ride like gods.

What you almost never discover is when those gods end up in hospital.Worth a thought.

Ratty46
28-11-07, 12:03 PM
i never filter faster than i can stop at any given moment(if that makes sense!?)

on my SV i am a lot more cautious when filtering, if the traffic is flowing i move with it, if i get the room to overtake i do, but by and large i dont. when its stationary, i filter at around 15-25mph i suppose, dont look at teh speedo, no time too!

on my scoot i think i filter alot quicker, its more nimble, fart and it changes direction , its light ,and i can stop it very quickly compared to my SV. but thats probably a confidence thing?

plus i can get through tiny lickle gaps!

Davies
28-11-07, 12:13 PM
I really wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much mate, always ride within your comfort zone. Riding in London, especially at rush hour, and at this time of year is always a pig because of the road conditions and the other things you have to worry about like buses and lemmings. Give it time and your confidence will build. I remember when I first started riding in London I was sh*t scared and paranoid, but after a year or so my confidence grew to the stage where I now ride progressively but safe.

If you've got some moron behind you, it's their job to get past you without putting you in danger, but don't worry about letting them past either, it doesn't mean your slow, some people just take more of a risk. Even now I still let couriers and other bikers past if I see them approaching me fast in my mirrors. If this happens I just move over in my lane and stick my boot out to tell them I've seen them and to go through.

Mind you, at rush hour most of the time you'll be filtering and therefore not going over 15/20 mph anyway.....you don't really want to be going above this because if a car/person steps out, you want to be able to stop without locking the front.

Hope that made sense, drivvle over :D

wyrdness
28-11-07, 12:27 PM
One of the biggest mistakes that experienced riders make is to filter too fast. I'll admit that I do it sometimes. Filter at a pace that you're comfortable with, but check your mirrors and let other bikes past you. Don't let them push you to go at a pace that you're not comfortable with. There'll always be someone faster and someone slower than you. We all have off days. There'll be days when I can't cope with the concentration necessary to filter fast, so I just take it easy. Even when I'm being a complete nutter and really going for it, I'm still constantly thinking about safety.

Jester666
28-11-07, 12:35 PM
7 ish years as a courier taught me fast filtering. However I do filter too fast most of the time.

I'm just not able to ride slow!! :twisted:

I regularly get stuck behind the same people every day on the way to work but I make it perfectly obvious that I'm there. Show myself in both mirrors and if needed rev the nuts out of the engine. (Note to self: sort out the standard can!)

AShero, don't worry about holding people up, if they're good enough to filter fast they'll get past you at some point. Ride at the pace you are comfortable with and watch your mirrors. Your speed will increase with practice and confidence. :thumbsup:

HTH!! :lol:

JediGoat
28-11-07, 12:35 PM
I have, on more than one occasion (in fact, probably more than four or five occasions) asked a rider filtering behine me if they are trying to ride pillion on my bike.

By all means move out of the way to let a faster rider through, but ****holes who ride dangerously close need a talking to.

Jo -> blimey, I'm in a grumpy mood today :-s

Alpinestarhero
28-11-07, 12:46 PM
Cheer's guys, that makes me feel a bit better, specialy knowing that some of you let others past aswell. I think some of it aswell is knowing that drivers ahead of me havn't seen me in their mirrors, so I know I can't go faster even if the gap is there incase I need to stop. Might feel better when I have my fuel exhaust on, it makes people look a bit more (from observing other riders with loud exhausts and how car drivers react to that)

I've given up telling other road users off after one guy chased me in his mondeo on monday night after wandering into my lane on the A406, trying to use the bit of road I was occupying. Apparently I was wrong, he was right.

Matt

Davies
28-11-07, 03:09 PM
Might feel better when I have my fuel exhaust on, it makes people look a bit more (from observing other riders with loud exhausts and how car drivers react to that)

Amen to that, it'll help loads :smt045

Stig
29-11-07, 01:49 PM
Ride to your own ability comfort zone and F*** everyone else. If they are as good as they think they are, they will find an alternative way round you.

I am the same as Jester, I filter fast, I like it. Unlike Jester though, I did not have my brain removed as part of the process of becoming a courier so I do have some life preservation bits stuck in there somewhere which keeps me honest.

Or that could be interpreted as he is better than me at filtering (possibly) :lol:

But I doubt it.

Jester666
29-11-07, 02:26 PM
Or that could be interpreted as he is better than me at filtering (possibly) :lol:

But I doubt it.

:smt046

Was that a thinly veiled challenge?

Alpinestarhero
29-11-07, 03:20 PM
I have arrived at an encouraging comlcusion. This morning, I let a bunch of guys through. They all filtered faster than me, yet I always got back up to them at traffic lights.

Anywho, I was in a better frame of mind today and didnt care about holding up Mr Rev-My-R1.

Matt

Spiderman
29-11-07, 07:25 PM
Ah, i'll take any of you on when ti comes to filtering skills. So bring it on if you're brave enough.

Matt, i missed this thread till now but i'm glad the advice has brought you to where you are now.

There will always be someone who filters slower than me on the way in to work. If i can see they are trying their best i back off and give them some room.
if however its a numpty who clearly just decided to leave the car at home for one sunny day and rides like he's still in a car then i expect him to get out the way as soon safely possible.
If he dont, i'll find a way round him no problem.

Like everyone else you start filtering slowly and it gets faster as your confidence builds.
No-one starts out as a filtering god.

Jester666
29-11-07, 07:33 PM
Right! You! Outside Now!!!! :lol:

G
29-11-07, 07:35 PM
I filter pretty fast when its light, I dont trust my eyesight and instinct enough to filter fast now its dark again.

The lanes of nottingham ring road are pretty wide though which allows fast filtering, (when mr BMW or OAP isnt sitting on the white line). I dont think I have held anyone up yet, there is a green kwak I awlays see when in my car though....I would hold him up without a doubt....hes VERY quick.

Stig
29-11-07, 07:36 PM
:smt046

Was that a thinly veiled challenge?

Nope. I wouldn't want to embarrass you. :lol:

Or is that I don't want to die. :?: :-k

Alpinestarhero
29-11-07, 07:56 PM
You lot can race, but its gonna be a close run thing if you come up behind me approaching hangar lane in morning traffic :D

Matt

Sid Squid
29-11-07, 11:12 PM
Lightweights the lot of you!

And while we're discussing this - ASHero: Get the fick out the bloody way will ya! - I've got some traffic lights to sit at dontchaknow.

Alpinestarhero
30-11-07, 01:49 PM
Lightweights the lot of you!

And while we're discussing this - ASHero: Get the fick out the bloody way will ya! - I've got some traffic lights to sit at dontchaknow.

*wobbles along in second gear, 3000 rpm, sniggering while sid squid gets all annoyed*

They all told me not to move for anyone, so Im not :p

Matt

chris8886
04-12-07, 02:32 PM
I've given up telling other road users off after one guy chased me in his mondeo on monday night after wandering into my lane on the A406, trying to use the bit of road I was occupying. Apparently I was wrong, he was right.

Matt

don't give up!! if they're that obnoxious and rude to you use your nicely kevlared and very strong gloves to smash his mirror (making sure it's not a police car ofc!!) before buggering off sharpish (into traffic preferably, where you can't be followed) so that they can't get your plate!!:razz: i haven't yet done this but if someone was deliberately putting me in danger i damn well would!!

Spiderman
04-12-07, 02:37 PM
don't give up!! if they're that obnoxious and rude to you use your nicely kevlared and very strong gloves to smash his mirror (making sure it's not a police car ofc!!) before buggering off sharpish (into traffic preferably, where you can't be followed) so that they can't get your plate!!:razz: i haven't yet done this but if someone was deliberately putting me in danger i damn well would!!

Hmmmm, i've made a couple of wing mirrors explode in my time and i can honestly say this. Its not big and its not clever.

but some diks understand nothing else and it serves it purpose from time to time.

Jester666
04-12-07, 02:54 PM

Be very wary of doing this. If you are in a position to smash the wing mirror you are also in a position to be swerved into!! :rolleyes:

Also if caught by our friends in blue I'm guessing you could be looking at criminal damage as well as riding without due care and attention/dangerous riding!

chris8886
05-12-07, 09:28 AM
which is why the little bit about the rozzers was written :rolleyes:

Kinvig
05-12-07, 09:46 AM
Never kicked in a wing mirror - don't see the point when you can beep your horn & gesticulate angrily at him.

Surely a car without a wing mirror means that they definitely won't be ablt to M-S-M when changing lanes & therefore be MORE liable to hit a bike?

Alpinestarhero
05-12-07, 10:37 AM
I hate coming across cars with no mirrors! I dont uderstand how people dont notice their missing mirrors...unless, of course, they never use them to observe they are mising...

Still, fuel exhaust is in the post I think. I'll soon blast them out of the way with some NOISE

Matt

Sosha
05-12-07, 11:32 AM
Noise is good.....

Alpinestarhero
05-12-07, 11:34 AM
I worked out its not noise, since noise is unwanted sound

it is, instead, loud sound

and who dosnt want that? A v-twin, full chat, unbaffled fuel zorst

Yum

Matt

G
05-12-07, 11:44 AM
I worked out its not noise, since noise is unwanted sound

it is, instead, loud sound

and who dosnt want that? A v-twin, full chat, unbaffled fuel zorst

Yum

Matt

Loud sound works lovely, if they dont move or are ignorant, some full revs just as you pass their window gives me some satifaction knowing they are probably screwing up their faces. Unbaffled dual port no baffles mmmmmm.

Alpinestarhero
05-12-07, 12:17 PM
GP, exactly. I followed an aprillia falco with full race cans on once, all the cars moved for him

Matt

jambo
05-12-07, 12:40 PM
I don't have a loud can, I'm really not sure it's as important as people make out, if you're relying on them hearing your engine, and getting annoyed if they don't move even if they've heard you, then I guess you do this filtering thing diferently to me.

But then, I'm slow...

Alpinestarhero
05-12-07, 02:33 PM
I don't have a loud can, I'm really not sure it's as important as people make out, if you're relying on them hearing your engine, and getting annoyed if they don't move even if they've heard you, then I guess you do this filtering thing diferently to me.

But then, I'm slow...

I know what you mean; but having a louder bike will be better when im alongside e.g. lorries, vans. A few blips of the throttle with a louder exhaust is more of a warning than my pathetic horn.

I'm a slow filterer too :D

Matt

Jester666
05-12-07, 03:04 PM
I'm not!!! And I only have the standard can!!

I find shouting and looking mean usually works!! :lol:

chris8886
05-12-07, 03:10 PM

and your big mod stick that you carry on your back to poke people through their windows when your really mad ;)

Jester666
05-12-07, 03:23 PM
True True!! :lol:

metalmonkey
05-12-07, 04:19 PM

The first time I rode to work on my SV this idiot cut me up on the A5, I was a little bit unsteady as I had done a few hundered miles, and didn't get to the horn in time so I resulted in yelling :smt019:smt077:smt013:smt065:smt094 the car driver heard me through my lid and all the traffic noise, he actual looked a little scared;) Well I though it was funny, he was like "sorry, sorry" grrr Hopefully he won't have cut a bike up again!

Sosha
05-12-07, 07:07 PM
Loud works well on pedestrians who are about to lemming though..... chap last week definitely heard me rather than saw me as he was looking the other way as he went to step blithely into the road...

tonyk
05-12-07, 09:39 PM
only go as fast as your happy with........
DONT ride to others peoples speed....
remember in ride outs, u ride your own ride..
if they want to pass let them, dont be intimidated to go faster..:evil:

jambo
06-12-07, 01:36 PM
Loud works well on pedestrians who are about to lemming though..... chap last week definitely heard me rather than saw me as he was looking the other way as he went to step blithely into the road...
14,000 rpm on the Kwak seems to be fine with a standard can, but I agree, twins on stock cans sound rubbish!

Jambo

Benji
06-12-07, 04:08 PM
A guy flicked his ash out of his window right in front of me, so as I came up to his window I flicked my hand into his open window as I went past right next to his face.

Scared the **** out of him :smt098

Sudoxe
06-12-07, 04:11 PM
I had a similar one morning. Guy threw his cigarette out the window and it hit me.
At the next set of lights, I pull up and ask him "Mind if I smoke?" then proceeded to light up the back wheel next to his open window.

A guy flicked his ash out of his window right in front of me, so as I came up to his window I flicked my hand into his open window as I went past right next to his face.

G
06-12-07, 04:53 PM
I'm really not sure it's as important as people make out

Its not that important if at all really, I would say i filter fast, and i will fit through most gaps regardless of the room that someone has left me, infact a loud can doesnt aid filtering at all. It certainly helps you make people aware your there as they are about to switch lanes without looking though.

Stig
06-12-07, 06:17 PM

I have had a car driver flick thier cigarette out the window and it hit me in the chest. I've stopped, taken hold of said cigarette, caught back up with driver, and flicked it back in thier lap.

Jester666
06-12-07, 06:30 PM
I have had a car driver flick thier cigarette out the window and it hit me in the chest. I've stopped, taken hold of said cigarette, caught back up with driver, and flicked it back in thier lap.

+1.

I thought it was funny but the driver had a sense of humor failure! :lol:

Spiderman
06-12-07, 09:08 PM
You'd think most cars come with ashtrays now days wouldnt you :roll:

Ratty46
09-12-07, 05:14 PM
Its not that important if at all really, I would say i filter fast, and i will fit through most gaps regardless of the room that someone has left me, infact a loud can doesnt aid filtering at all. It certainly helps you make people aware your there as they are about to switch lanes without looking though.

loud cans definetly help, had people move over so many times after i've blipped the throttle a bit, some people are just ignorant:smt013 and wont move, most are good enough too move tho,:smt045

how do you get through most gaps regardless of the room left for you?? on a scoot..yeah but on an SV? you must bang it up a bit doing that!