PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli Tyres ONLY in BSB & BSS.

grh1904
13-12-07, 01:06 PM
http://www.superbike-news.co.uk/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=10632&z=4

BSB & BSS to be one tyre series.

Alpinestarhero
13-12-07, 01:14 PM
Just seen this on crash.net too. Shame on one hand since no more open rules, and the loss of dunlop who have been a major supplier for years.

But

It does mean brands hatch WSBK will be littered with BSB wild cards. I've gone all misty-eyed at the memories such as walker slotting in behind foggy in 1999, both going first and second into paddock. Shakey beating them all with that fantastic double in 2002 (or was it 2003?) and stopping at paddock in front of me, head in hands. That horrible moment when I thought Hizzy was dead in the paddock gravel trap after a huge accident in 2000.

Its a good thing, in that respect.

Matt

jambo
13-12-07, 01:28 PM
Make 'em all run on Stradas then :D

I too look forwards to the return of the wildcard entry :cool:

thebluelion
13-12-07, 02:26 PM
To hell with that Im running pirelli stradas and needed a new one but decided to wait till after winter, bet they bump the price up now

coombest
20-12-07, 11:08 AM
It does mean brands hatch WSBK will be littered with BSB wild cards.

Not necessarily - and they'd fairly certainly be running at the back if they're on BSB bikes!

The rules are (at present) slightly different in the 2 championships, so the BSB bikes would be more like the World Superstock bikes!

Only time will tell!!!

Biker Biggles
20-12-07, 12:05 PM
I think they should develop a tyre rule that uses more than one make,but keeps close racing by alternating tyre suppliers between race meetings.This would mean both riders and bikes would need to be versatile enough to adapt to different tyres,and there would still be development and competition in the tyre industry.

rigor
20-12-07, 12:19 PM
BSB qualifying times – Brands Hatch. Sunday, 8th April 2007
1 Jonathan Rea 1min 25.235 secs

WSBK Superpole and qualifying times - Brands Hatch. Saturday, 4th August 2007
1 Troy Bayliss 1min 25.607 secs

BSB at the back? Really? OK, I can't remember the weather for those two dates, and I know that WSB is moving on all the time, but surely circuit knowledge plays a big part..... Should be interesting anyway :D More bikes on the grid is a good thing :D

wheelnut
20-12-07, 07:09 PM
Because Dunlop have been supporting BSB and especially BSS its a shame to see Pirelli get the glory.

Biker Biggles has a point and to take it a step further the tyre companies should be asked to sponsor the events. How about a Dunlop British Supersport round at Donington or a Pirelli BSB Brands event? Obviously only the sponsor can supply the rubber for qualifying and racing but let them have a free for all in free practice.

Dunlop Qualifiers were developed through the BSS and Virgin teams. Where does that leave them now with no data?

Alpinestarhero
21-12-07, 09:16 AM
BSB qualifying times – Brands Hatch. Sunday, 8th April 2007
1 Jonathan Rea 1min 25.235 secs

WSBK Superpole and qualifying times - Brands Hatch. Saturday, 4th August 2007
1 Troy Bayliss 1min 25.607 secs

BSB at the back? Really? OK, I can't remember the weather for those two dates, and I know that WSB is moving on all the time, but surely circuit knowledge plays a big part..... Should be interesting anyway :D More bikes on the grid is a good thing :D

I think its something to do woth the engine rules meaning that the BSB teams arnt allowed to do as much to their engines any more? Even so, with modern superbikes putting out 180 bhp in road trim (claimed poewr figures), then there wont be too much in it still, specialy at a place like brands hatch, where you cant use full throttle for much of the time anyway

Im getting racing withdrawl symptoms1!! help1!!

Matt

Pedrosa
21-12-07, 09:42 AM
I dont know that the single tyre rule in WSB detracted too much from competitive racing?

I personally get on a lot better with Pirelli than the snail sludge compound one's made by Michelin.;)

coombest
21-12-07, 09:49 AM
Indeed the engine regulations are changing to make it more affordable for the smaller BSB teams to be competitive.
It means that BSB engine regs will be more akin to Superstock regs!
Not certain on the in & puts of it but will find out when I get my 2008 BSB year book with all the official and tech regs in it!

Alpinestarhero
21-12-07, 09:55 AM
coombest, you are quite a fan of racing then? ;)

I still think that the engines will get close to 190bhp, maybe a bit more with super-sport style tuning. What went on with the BSB-Ducati saga? Because ducati wanted to change the pistons, but BSB organisers said "no, thats against the rules". Did they come to some agreement?

Matt

Biker Biggles
21-12-07, 10:28 AM
The single tyre rule in WSB certainly made for close competative racing,which was and is great from a spectator angle,but it knocked a fair bit off lap times.Pirelli had no competition,and developed their race tyres as they saw fit which may or may not have been in the right direction.I think there needs to be some compromise developed between monopoly tyre supply,competitive racing and sport development.

coombest
21-12-07, 10:40 PM
coombest, you are quite a fan of racing then? ;)
A bit yeah!!
I'm at all 3 days of most BSB rounds and world rounds in the UK as a senior race marshal.

I still think that the engines will get close to 190bhp, maybe a bit more with super-sport style tuning. What went on with the BSB-Ducati saga? Because ducati wanted to change the pistons, but BSB organisers said "no, thats against the rules". Did they come to some agreement?

Matt
Only time will tell - I'm not 100% certain what the regulations are and what the differences will be but I know that WSB are going to be allowed more engine modifications than we are in the UK.
As for Ducati - we DO have Ducatis in BSB next year. There is apparently going to be more than 1 team too!

Alpinestarhero
22-12-07, 10:00 AM
Yea, i read this on crash.net...i know there was something about ducati wanting to have special pistons allowed for use, but BSB bosses said no. I think there was a desicion made and both parties where happy; it was something to do with the rings on the pistons, the standard bike has two, ducati want to run 3 in the race bike engines because they are scared of engines blowing up

I expect the Ducati 1098R (anyone seen it? gorgeous) will have the uprated pistons in as part of being a homoglation special

Coombest, keep an eye out for me on my yellow curvy over the next week, might be eastbourne way if I can't get enough of my exhaust tone :cool:

Matt