PDA

View Full Version : How to get into racing.

ThEGr33k
17-01-08, 12:59 AM
Well im getting another bike soon and planning on keeping my SV for track bike and eventually race bike if I can.

I havnt even done any race days yet so thats something im going to have to get sorted this year!

The first thing i need to know is licences, and basically how to get started. What ill need to do for any race series. Im looking for the bare minimum of requirements to start off with as im not rich and so my budget wont stretch far. Whats the best begginer class for an SV rider. I probably wont be doing all the legs of a series (mainly cos of cost + leave is difficult as we are under manned...) and im not too bothered about being massivly competative to start with, just get EXP.

If there are any people who are racing in a SV based (included) series then let me know so i can come along and see what im letting myself in for.

Reason I have decided to go for it now is as I say I have the bike. A guy from my last base (RAF) told me to get involved in racing instead of doing just track days. I have a friend who told me a couple of days ago that he raced at my current base so ill see what he knows and pick his brain.

i know practically nothing.

Cheers for any help!

:mrgreen:

metalmonkey
03-02-08, 08:49 PM
Your in the same postion as me then, thats what I want to do and have been looking into it and thinking about what needs doing....

There are others on here who have raced min twins, who will have a better idea, though this is what I have worked out so far.

I assume as you have an SV you would to get into mini twins, which is the race prep version of out road bikes, there are limits to what you can do also the engine must be standard and the BHP limit is 72BHP.

You need an ACU licence which means a race school, take a test and join a club that will get you your licence.

After that you will need a race bike or convert you road bike to race, within the racing regs. It must also be lock wired and have a catch tray for oil ect so it doesn't go all over the track.

Your bike what ever you spend on it.

Also riding gear, full one piece leathers, a good lid (I ride with an RX7) a full back protector, racing gloves and boots and ear plugs. So thats close to a £1000 there.

You will need WOW (wet on wheels) for wet races plus spares to fix the bike as you will crash/come off.

You will need a van, a genny probally 2-3KW output, tools, tryre warmers, awaning, camping gear. this lot £2-3000, remember insurance for the van and bike and the inital cost of buying gear.

Money to pay for entry for the race w/ends, praticse day, Tyres, fuel (desil and petrol of the bike and genny) food is what comes to mind.

From speaking to other in mini twins its about £8000 for a full sesion if you do every round, but you don't have too.

At the moment I'm trying to find some better costing to pass info to a sponor to see what they will give me. Its not cheap, I will have to go without many things.

Websites;

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/for_sale.htm
http://www.minitwins.com/forsale.html
http://www.motoforum.net/
http://www.bemsee.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

ThEGr33k
08-02-08, 02:00 PM
Cheers. Looks like I might get into local club racing to put me on, ill guess thats a bit cheaper. :rolleyes:

Im not rich enough for that.

All your presumptions were right btw.

metalmonkey
09-02-08, 01:14 AM
Hey actually thinking about things now a bit more, I have found out ways to reduce cost down ect, I will post later or PM with any questions ect, I'm a bit tried now but more than happy to talk with you or help in anyway. let me know buddy.

flymo
09-02-08, 07:59 AM
Hi guys, I've been racing for about 7 seven years now on various bikes, Classic MZ250 singles, Yam FZR400 and for this year I'll be doing mini-twins an a SV650K3.

I race with the Wirral 100 at Anglesey and Oulton Park, the latter not being that far from Barnsley (if you sqint your eyes a little ;-) ). If it helps you are more than welcome to come along and check it out.

It can be much cheaper than you pointed out as when you first start you dont need to buy everything. Start cheap and if you enjoy it then upgrade as you go.

Tyre warmers and new tyres every weekend are not essential at all unless you are seriously fighting for top positions. I've raced an entire season on the same set of tyres before now, although for the past 4 years or so I've stepped up my game considerably.

For a newbie though, you'll find that there is more improvement available in your riding then in any mechanical upgrades you can make.

As you say licencing is the start. You only need to attend a new riders training day which is totally theory and not an on track race school. With this done you apply for your licence (?40) and away you go.

If there is anything you need let me know.

Mike

Lozzo
09-02-08, 08:22 AM
As you say licencing is the start. You only need to attend a new riders training day which is totally theory and not an on track race school. With this done you apply for your licence (?40) and away you go.

To race with Bemsee as a novice you need to have verifiable race school training as well as the ACU theory pass certificate. My ex, Tori, did hers with Mick Boddice at Darley Moor and said it was worth every penny.

metalmonkey
09-02-08, 10:41 AM
Yeah just to add to that, I found a bike with stands for under ?2k Race preped), the bike is fine for me, I'm gonna get second hand tyre warmers, genny, gerry cans, a cheap van that works. Oh tool halfords pro tool kit is ?99 I think that will dlo everything, so you know you don't need that much there. I think whatever bike you get will be better than you, I can say for a fact both my bikes are better than me right now.

Though I'm not racing right now, I'm doing track days to gain experince of being on the track, working on my skill, getting used to the bike and oh yes to save money:D

All is need is one piece leathers, another lid (casue I ride on the road I need to get to work on Monday;)) race gloves (worth the money) I have boots, and a back protector. Good gear is worth the money, should the worst happen.

For the w/end sleep in your van, get some camping gear and your good to go. I'm gonna use an old lap top for music and moives which has been given to me, for down time I got fat speakers for it, so hey thats sorted!

I have actually worked out now, I can make it a lot cheaper than I first though as a rookie.

Wild Bill
10-02-08, 11:19 AM
I`ve yet to see minitwins racing,Flymo.Is the Wirral 100 doing them this year?

Cheers

flymo
10-02-08, 03:13 PM
I`ve yet to see minitwins racing,Flymo.Is the Wirral 100 doing them this year?

Cheers

Yep, this is the first year. There were a couple of minitwin bikes running last year but not for points.

First race with Wirral 100 this year is 16th March and then second round is at Oulton Park some time in April.

Come along and say hello :)

Wild Bill
11-02-08, 07:13 PM
Thanks Flymo, I look forward to seeing you at oulton.I`m not sure about 16th march,It`s Anglesey Isn`t it? I`ll try tho. Crikey, the new season is only a few weeks away!

Cheers