PDA

View Full Version : Jacket advice

RingDing
17-01-08, 01:33 PM
I'm after a summer only riding jacket that is waterproof and has ventilation. Textile or leather.

Last year I bought a new Hein Gericke Goretex jacket to replace my old one (lasted 6 years) and although this one is great with the lining in, their sizes have changed and it is too loose on me with out it. Temperatrue wise it was good in the summer as it has ventilation zips so I'm after something similar but biased towards summer only.

I've done an internet search but there are so many jackets it's confusing! I was hoping for some recommendations.

Thanks.

dizzyblonde
17-01-08, 03:04 PM
I just bought meself a Halverssons lindstrands 'graffiti' jacket....absolutely the dogs doodaa's. It was expensive, I bought it in a sale...but you get what you pay for..altough they come highly recommended off a few folk I know

K
17-01-08, 04:22 PM
I'm after a summer only riding jacket that is waterproof and has ventilation. Textile or leather.

The problem with leather is that the only way to ventilate it is to punch holes in it... or zipped vents...

... kinda ruins the whole 'waterproof' thing. ;)

Personally I've got a set of Alpinestars leathers for summer, perforated kangaroo (so, killed with a large quantity of buckshot then ;)), but then I will always advocate leather over textiles, but that's just me.:rolleyes:

On a sad, nerdy, techinical note - if you do look at a leather jacket that has been perforated, make sure it's kangaroo - or that if it goat or plain ol' cow that the perforations are small and widely spaced, otherwise you could be looking at it simply ripping/peeling away if ever put into a fight against tarmac.

RingDing
17-01-08, 06:49 PM
The problem with leather is that the only way to ventilate it is to punch holes in it... or zipped vents...

... kinda ruins the whole 'waterproof' thing. ;)

My Hein Gericke jacket has zipped ventilation and is waterproof due to the goretex lining. I assumed that similar could be done with leather.

I agree with your point over relative protection between textile and leathers.

dizzyblonde
17-01-08, 07:06 PM
alternatively, if you want some real ventilation, you can get an armoured vest type thing. Its got all the armoured plating, everywhere, but is made of a lycra type material. My bloke has one for the height of summer and wears a tshirt over it.
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/208905_PU.jpg
similar to this one....but only when its extremely hot and sunny

Brooga
11-02-08, 09:59 PM
Thats your bloke? oh no, hes similar to that one.... :P

plowsie
11-02-08, 10:11 PM
alternatively, if you want some real ventilation, you can get an armoured vest type thing. Its got all the armoured plating, everywhere, but is made of a lycra type material. My bloke has one for the height of summer and wears a tshirt over it.
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/208905_PU.jpg
similar to this one....but only when its extremely hot and sunny

Do they do them for fat people? How much it cost him?

dizzyblonde
11-02-08, 11:18 PM
they come in a variety of sizes...dianese do one but you'll pay the earth, matt bought one from our local bike shop, that incidently is having a sale on, chris picked one up from there fer about30/ 40 quid i think....and they're described as pit jackets or something, they usee them in motocross

plowsie
03-06-08, 12:49 PM
yeah cos your not spam :lol: