PDA

View Full Version : My First Track Day

metalmonkey
29-01-08, 06:56 PM
Was just plain awesome, I'm have the biggest smile, I am really tried and want more, more of it!:D:D:D:D

Hard to put in words how I feel, but you know I had a lot of fun, learnt a load of really useful things about my riding and have to make it better, I'm hooked simple as.

I got faster as the day went on, building up my experince and learning when to tip in, roll on the gas, brake ect. I have shredded my tyres they look used lol. You know I wasn't scared at all, I was having too much fun. The only time I though oh crap was when I went into a corner too fast. I dealt with that by leaning the bike over a lot more and rolling on the throttle, it works a treat. Not much scares me really.

Good points, I had 2 sessions with an instrucor both of them said I was smooth, which is ace a very important thing for a racer, I finally figured out the racing lines where to tip in lean etc. I was kissing the apxe on bends by the 4th session:smt056 Riding in the all this rain, has made me a smooth rider! I did all 6 sessions as well:)
:smt045

Points to work on;

Getting the racing line totally sorted.
Body postion
Brake and gear control

What next? Well I want to get me a race bike, so I ride it as much possiable and learn race craft. I will being doing probally another 2 track days and a bike safe before May. I will be racing in May as well, so that will add to my experince.

Just to add, I never felt out of control of the bike at any time, nor did I come close to a crash.

Well I can't wait till my next track day, I may go inters for Silverstone not sure yet, though I'm thinking noivce to work on the above things where I can go a bit slower, I guess I will decide in the next few days.

StreetHawk
29-01-08, 07:14 PM
Nice one, sounds good! I wish I could have come along aswell.. Will defo be doing my first trackday this year.

FG1
29-01-08, 08:26 PM
Glad you had a great day Mr Thunder. I wish I had the gumption to do a track day but I'm too aprehensive of things going pear shaped.

metalmonkey
29-01-08, 08:35 PM
Glad you had a great day Mr Thunder. I wish I had the gumption to do a track day but I'm too aprehensive of things going pear shaped.

Don't be you must belive in your self and remove anything like that from your mind easier said than done, but winning the mental battle is vital. You must go at your own pace and listen to what your told and you will be fine.

I wasn't the fastest person out there by far, but I was working on my skill. you can't even dream of being fast, without how your race/track craft sorted and down. I will make it part of me, that what you need do.

I would say go for it, you will be fine, but don't confuse my self belief for arrogance.

I have a lot of work to do, but I totally belive the goals I have set for myself in all parts of my life will happen wit hard work. It just depends on how much you want something, there are certian things I will do almost anything to get.

monkey
29-01-08, 08:39 PM
Glad you had fun. Was it raining? Where's the pics? How many people did you overtake? Was it Brands Indy? What did you have for lunch? Did you run off track? Kneedown? Pegdown? Any phhhhrrrtt moments? Why is the sky blue and finally can I have a go mister?
:D

metalmonkey
29-01-08, 08:47 PM
Glad you had fun. Was it raining? Where's the pics? How many people did you overtake? Was it Brands Indy? What did you have for lunch? Did you run off track? Kneedown? Pegdown? Any phhhhrrrtt moments? Why is the sky blue and finally can I have a go mister?
:D

No rain was sunny then went cold brr! Yes it was, I had a hot dog (thanks trax) a cheese burger some candy and coke cola and water. No I didn't, not many either I was working on the race line rather than body postion.

Hell yeah when I finally worked out some lines after taking advice....coming out of Clear Ways full throttle storming to the next bend brake drop 2 gears, then round then down the slope up and brake drop a gear and lean.

I'm not worried about my speed yet, that will come I have aim set for me by a mentor which I will do! The sky is blue when I smile and sure if I can play with your bike:D

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 10:20 AM
Cool.

Reading this has made me want to get on a trackday … when is the next one?? … I was going to go to the bike show on Friday and have the day off … feck the bike show, is there a trackday on!?!? {opens up trackdays page} :D

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 10:24 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... {wets pants} ....

http://www.hottrax-online.com/product_info.php?products_id=15138&osCsid=fff72b654c792e3a5b06767715a9e2fb

8) 8)

Snow is a bit of a worry mind ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1601

metalmonkey
30-01-08, 10:25 AM
Cool.

Reading this has made me want to get on a trackday ? when is the next one?? ? I was going to go to the bike show on Friday and have the day off ? feck the bike show, is there a trackday on!?!? {opens up trackdays page} :D

There is one on Saturday, but I'm working:( I have almost used all my leave up un till the end of March now. I think its at Brands, but I need be at the bike show. Besides its free, also I have spent far too much money this and yes pay day is a wait for me......:smt088 got paid not that long agao.

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 10:33 AM
There is one on Saturday, but I'm working:( I have almost used all my leave up un till the end of March now. I think its at Brands, but I need be at the bike show. Besides its free, also I have spent far too much money this and yes pay day is a wait for me......:smt088 got paid not that long agao.

Hey, I can still go ;) ... I was supposed to be going to the bike show on the 1st and now can do the trackday on the 2nd, it makes the journey up more worthwhile!! 8) .. my only concern is leaving my fully loaded van with all my kit (and 2 bikes) at the show carpark ... perhaps not wise and I will worry all day ... :rolleyes: ... what to do ... what to do ..

flymo
30-01-08, 10:34 AM
Glad you enjoyed! There's a lot of bull related to trackdays being places when you need to ride the nuts off the bike and impress everyone. No matter how good you are there will always be some guy going aroudn the outside and showering you with sparks on some stock 400 or so ;).

As far as race craft goes, whole different story to riding a track. The track riding is fantastic and you will learn so much about riding your bike. Top tip, if you can absorb it then get hold of a copy of "Twist of the wrist", it talks alot of sense about how you need to approach things mentally.

My first race was scary some 7 years ago. At the time grid positions were determined by picking a numbered token out of a hat for the first race. I was rather 'unlucky' to get pole. As the lights went out at Anglesey and I hurtled off pole position down to turn 1 I was suddenly surrounded by a swarm of more experienced racers passing me into the corner......totally crapping myself.

The worst thing is as you are about to tip in to a corner and you do a quick 'life-saver' look over your shoulder :-) Its hard to drop those habits.

I can honestly say know that I complete a full race without aver looking behind me. Race craft just comes with tons of practice and experience. If you fancy racing give it a go, its totaly fantastic.

Anything I can help with let me know.

Mike

tranx
30-01-08, 02:17 PM
Good to hear you had fun! You were really getting the hang of it by the end of the day.

Bear
30-01-08, 02:22 PM
Well I can't wait till my next track day, I may go inters for Silverstone

Why? Were you consistently and safely passing everyone in the novice group, sailing past without a care in the world without thinking about it?

If not, stay in the novices. If you go to inters now you will simply be black flagged and put into the novice group anyway. It's not a 3 shot deal where you do 1 session in novice, one in inters and then you're in the fast group!

John 675
30-01-08, 03:49 PM
good to hear you had a good time blue, hope the viper performed, i think if that was your first and from what you have said in other threads.. id stay in the novices.. although the inters still appear to be slow... they are really not.. build it first and it will come to you, rather than getting swamped on the first corner

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 04:09 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree with above comments!!! ;)

Bluethunder wants to race, and soon! ? he needs to push himself ? from what he says he is confident running at mid-fastest novice, that will put him in the slow-mid inters, NOT off the bottom of the curve!! ;)

As he is on the curve, he will be no danger to others in the inters and staying in novice with all the wobblers will only hold back his own development!

In short if you are mid-fast novice, GET OUT!! ;)

I gave weazelz this same bit of advice to move from inters to fast as he was mid-fast inters. In his first fast session he smashed his personal lap record that he had failed to better for ages stuck in inters!!!! ;)

He also felt much less boxed in etc etc. Making overtakes requires confidence (or stupidity ;)) so going where there is naturally a faster pace (so you don?t NEED to overtake to make progress) makes sense if you want to speed up as you can concentrate on the business of going fast, not avoiding people!!!!

Grinny
30-01-08, 04:17 PM
Don't be frightened about stepping upto the inters, you'll find that faster riders will bring you on in leaps and bounds.

Bear
30-01-08, 04:18 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree with above comments!!! ;)

Bluethunder wants to race, and soon! ? he needs to push himself ? from what he says he is confident running at mid-fastest novice, that will put him in the slow-mid inters, NOT off the bottom of the curve!! ;)

As he is on the curve, he will be no danger to others in the inters and staying in novice with all the wobblers will only hold back his own development!

In short if you are mid-fast novice, GET OUT!! ;)

I gave weazelz this same bit of advice to move from inters to fast as he was mid-fast inters. In his first fast session he smashed his personal lap record that he had failed to better for ages stuck in inters!!!! ;)

He also felt much less boxed in etc etc. Making overtakes requires confidence (or stupidity ;)) so going where there is naturally a faster pace (so you don?t NEED to overtake to make progress) makes sense if you want to speed up as you can concentrate on the business of going fast, not avoiding people!!!!

I agree with you IF he's mid-fastest novice. I see no evidence for that in any post, and this was his first track day after less than a years riding in total. Bluethunder, if you wanna do it go for it, I'd just advise a reasonable amount of caution as you were perfectly happy to talk about starting racing with no track experience at all! Don't try to run before you can walk, but when you can walk, go for it.

Just be honest with yourself about why you want to go into the inters: do you think you NEED to, or do you WANT to because it feels like you're making progress towards racing?

Cheers for listening.

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 04:24 PM
.. I see no evidence for that in any post...

I agree actually, there is no real concept of true/actual pace even against others in what he said (except he wasn't the fastest) ... Bluethunder, where would you HONESTLY (and be honest) place yourself in the group come the end of the day? ;-)

John 675
30-01-08, 04:24 PM
the one thing id disagree with in your post Bluesv650s is that a track day... is not a race, or a race day, i respect what your saying about the ambitious side of it, but you really know what your doing on a track, if you were in bluethunders shoes i think you would agree that the inters after one track day and a years riding exp.. would not be the place to be, BUT after a years track time there is no reason why he couldnt be in the fast group, but as it stands today, honing your ability on the track IMO is best in novice class given the evidance

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 04:36 PM
Hence why he wants a clear(er) track that inters should provide him to concentrate on riding, not racing/overtaking others!! ;)

We need to get an honest indication of his pace verses other ppl in the group. If it is mid to high, get out. If it is low to mid, then indeed at least start the next day in novice (you can always move group on the day if you are getting bogged down).

I see no harm in getting out of novice, especially if he is keen/quick ... he will actually be a potential danger to the true noobs/the more nervous riders if he is significantly quicker and to try and find his own pace carving his way through ..

Indeed, lets not get any false sense of grandeur, but the instructors commented on his smoothness, so he is not riding the ragged edge, this to me sounds like he isn't an accident waiting to happen at his current pace.

John 675
30-01-08, 04:46 PM
good point, i suppose without seeing him its hard to really know,
on my first day i got my pegs to the floor, ( which was stupid on my part ) my instructer said that i was VERY quick for my first time.. but needed LOADS more practice, so i hit novices for ages now i think id be up for inters.
we should organise an SV track day.. if the interest was there i could actually arrange it for us living 5 miles from donnington that track would be my first choice :D

Bear
30-01-08, 04:47 PM
I see no harm in getting out of novice, especially if he is keen/quick ... he will actually be a potential danger to the true noobs/the more nervous riders if he is significantly quicker and to try and find his own pace carving his way through ..

So if HE is a true noob (Sorry Chris!) then being amongst loads of other people going fast will also be dangerous!

I find it quite fun disagreeing on what we agree about Blue_!

Chris: your next track day is at Silverstone, and you're going with lots of people from on here, most of whom will be in the novice group. I suggest stay in the novices with them, see how you get along and then think about moving up for next time.

BUT this is just my opinion. If you HONESTLY think you NEED to move up, as in, like Blue says above, you are constantly being held up by slower riders, or as I said in my post you are passing everyone without any difficulty, go for it.

metalmonkey
30-01-08, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the post I didn't expect so many replies to be honest!

Right okay, when your on the track you can't see your self ride so I asked Trax to watch me take the corner into Clearways, I was so far off it wasn't funny. But when the error was pointed out to me I changed me line, picked up speed and yes I got the apex. So improved that quickly.

If I had been at the track today, I would for sure have made a loads of progress.

What I did find frsutrating was riders in front messed the line, hence I lost my pace and the line I wanted to be on they just got in the way which annoyed me. Casue they had bigger bikes out of the corners then would pull away quickly, so I would nail down the start/pass line.

Brake put my weight foward, to help me stop but the same idiot got in my way again grr...

I want to learn but also pick up the pace as well. I wasn't scraping my pegs on the floor, I didn't want to its my road bike. I'm now gonna see if I can scrape enough money togther for a mini twin bike and a van a few bits of gear, like spares ect. Then I will feel confident in going for it, I really need my SV to get around on, so I think this is the best thing to do.

Also finding enough money to race next year will be very hard, but I will try. The idea of getting the mini twin bike now is, so I know what the bike can do, so I know for a fact when I brake hard and tip me and the bike make it on piece round the bend. The idea being a pratices a learning year, so when I get out there I'm ready as can be.

(side note not fitted the can yet, strap on way in the mail, also having time free to do it)

I am keen to progress, but am I better learning the craft in noives where I take my time, or just go for it. I will do a race school as well sooner rather than later, but as with all things I need money to do it.

I know that this may be a big leap going from riding less than a year, but we all have to start somewhere, with the right training I know its possiable.

Also I should have a link for the photos in the next day ace!

Also I learn a hell lot when I start as well, the right ground work is important, but as with anything like this you only learn from getting stuck experince helps, with a ot of things I do I draw experince fro before to work something out, so why should racing be different?

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 06:05 PM
As I said, if people are constantly getting in the way, you won't learn much staying in novice!! ;)

You didn't answer the 'where would you place yourself?' question!

metalmonkey
30-01-08, 06:18 PM
Where do I place myself? Not sure I can't see myself ride.

It was hard to judge, I was a lot better in the afternoon if I was that good the next time would that be good enough? As I said there are things I want to work on, but you need be going at a good pace to be doing them so they work.

I need really a few more track days and a race school.

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 06:26 PM
Where do I place myself? Not sure I can't see myself ride.

It was hard to judge, I was a lot better in the afternoon if I was that good the next time would that be good enough? As I said there are things I want to work on, but you need be going at a good pace to be doing them so they work.

I need really a few more track days and a race school.

You place yourself by the number of people that overtook you (and stayed in front) verses the number of people you overtook (and stayed in front).

As I said before, even if you placed yourself in novice on the next day, that doesn't mean you have to stay there all day if you are going well!!! They actually encourage people to move if they feel they should. Its better for everyone involved if people are in the correct group!! ;)

Flamin_Squirrel
30-01-08, 07:07 PM
Any idea of your times?

Stu
30-01-08, 08:13 PM
You place yourself by the number of people that overtook you (and stayed in front) verses the number of people you overtook (and stayed in front).

But is that not unrepresentative when you're on a slow SV compared with all the faster bikes that seemed to hold him up.

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 08:14 PM
But is that not unrepresentative when you're on a slow SV compared with all the faster bikes that seemed to hold him up.

How so? :confused:

Flamin_Squirrel
30-01-08, 08:16 PM

Not really - especially at Brands Indy. Sports 600s for example, only go a few seconds faster than mini-twins. The biggest differences definitely come from the rider, especially in slower groups.

Stu
30-01-08, 08:16 PM
If he didn't actually overtake many because he was outgunned on the straights & held up on the corners, he could be faster than your test suggests:???:

ASM-Forever
30-01-08, 08:18 PM
if the interest was there i could actually arrange it for us living 5 miles from donnington that track would be my first choice :D

My mechanic told me Donnington is the strictest track for exhaust noise though.

tranx
30-01-08, 08:29 PM

Not at all, I was out on an SV650 minitwin and running well in the fast group. Not the fastest by a long shot and I can safely say that it was all down to me, not the bike.

Blue_SV650S
30-01-08, 08:32 PM
If he didn't actually overtake many because he was outgunned on the straights & held up on the corners, he could be faster than your test suggests:???:

Sure it might be slightly flawed, but with no other data, its the best method we have of assessing his readiness to go into inters!! ;)

Flamin_Squirrel
30-01-08, 09:26 PM

I'm guessing you've not done a track day then!

lukemillar
30-01-08, 10:30 PM
Hey, I can still go ;) ... I was supposed to be going to the bike show on the 1st and now can do the trackday on the 2nd, it makes the journey up more worthwhile!! 8) .. my only concern is leaving my fully loaded van with all my kit (and 2 bikes) at the show carpark ... perhaps not wise and I will worry all day ... :rolleyes: ... what to do ... what to do ..

Come on Blue, who would want to nick your carp bikes!?

Going to be at Eastern Creek again in a few weeks if you fancy a 25 hour plane journey :wink: I'm pretty sure it's gonna be sunny..

metalmonkey
30-01-08, 10:38 PM
Well I know what I'm gonna do now, I may try to fit another track day in before Silverstone, it depends on a few things have to see how it goes. But while its cheap I think it worth fitting in 3 if I can before prices go mad in April and beyond!

Patience isn't my strong point, (putting this way I was pacing up and down today waiting for a phone call today I was only waiting 10 minutes) and I'm very keen and foucused I will put that all to good use:D

lukemillar
30-01-08, 10:41 PM
Hence why he wants a clear(er) track that inters should provide him to concentrate on riding, not racing/overtaking others!! ;)

I totally agree with Blue. I would class myself as a front running inters /mid pack fast group rider. I am always waaay happier when I'm in the fast group and not the fastest bike in the group. Way less overtaking/being overtaken and a much clearer track for lap times/real pace. Plus, I like to see where faster guys/girls brake, turn in etc. Overtaking loads of bikes may be a bit of a novelty on your first few trackdays, but after it wears off and gets very tedious.

One other advantage that the fast group has over the inters/novice group (which I like) is everyone is way more predictable. Yes there is some closer overtaking, but you know where people are and where they are likely to be going. Novice and Inters can be quite unpredictable sometimes.

lukemillar
30-01-08, 10:51 PM
Oh, and any pics from the day?

metalmonkey
30-01-08, 10:54 PM
Oh, and any pics from the day?

There will be I'm waiting for an email to come, when I get it I post them up!

Red Herring
31-01-08, 02:36 AM
I'm doing Brands on Saturday 2nd. My SV won't be ready but I'll give the ZXR an airing and probably take the Supermoto up as well, especially if it's raining. Might see some of you guys there then...

flymo
31-01-08, 09:51 AM
As I mentioned early in the thread, you cannot relate track days to racing at all really.

If you are even slightly serious about racing then get out of the novice group and go for inters at least. If you know you are not confident enough (note not fast enough) then stay where you are and ride more before you consider racing.

Most racers I know use track days for nothing more than a bit of practice track time and mostly for checking out a bike the day before a race etc. The best situation if you are lucky enough on a track day is clear track. If you think about it, even at a moderate pace compared to the other inter riders you may well get left behind from the off, but that might well give you 10 solid minutes of clear track to practice on which would be perfect.(Before the front of the group catches you)

In the novices you will be tripping over people all the time and wasting valuable practice.

The other thing I would recommend is get yourself a copy of the MCN track guides and study the tracks you are going to visit in detail. After you have ridden even a few laps you can practice laps in your mind.....yeah, I'm serious. "Twist of the wrist" will teach you how to do this and its actually pretty accurate.

Racing though.....an entirely different ball park. Best thing you can do there is find sombody to show you the ropes for a race meeting but when you get on track just stay out of everybodys way and you'll be fine. You'll find the experience...and then the speed will just come with practice. Forget about foot pegs, knee downs and all the crap. Doesnt count for anything. Lap times is the only measure.

Blue_SV650S
31-01-08, 10:59 AM
"you cannot relate track days to racing" ... er no one was (were they??)!! :D

I have decided NOT to go to Brands on sat :(

flymo
31-01-08, 11:03 AM
"you cannot relate track days to racing" ... er no one was (were they??)!! :D

Well yeah, there's been a lot of talk comparing one's ability in a track day to how that might influence taking up racing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, no big deal. its all about having fun at the end of the day.

Blue_SV650S
31-01-08, 11:11 AM
Well yeah, there's been a lot of talk comparing one's ability in a track day to how that might influence taking up racing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, no big deal. its all about having fun at the end of the day.

Well you can draw something from it ... like it's safe to say if you are struggling on a trackday there is no point considering racing ... I'd say further than that, if you can't at LEAST hold your own in the fast group, then again you are not ready!! ;)

Lozzo
31-01-08, 11:13 AM
My mechanic told me Donnington is the strictest track for exhaust noise though.

It is. There's a noise meter on the start finish straight with a direct link to the council offices who deal with noise complaints. If you break the limit they will haul you off the track until you are able to pass a noise test. I'm having to buy a legal baffle for my CBR6's Akrapovic system because I'm off for a half day's set-up there on Feb 22nd. The only other time I've ridden Donington was on my Gixer Thou with a legal Quill T3 can.

flymo
31-01-08, 11:18 AM
Well you can draw something from it ... like it's safe to say if you are struggling on a trackday there is no point considering racing ... I'd say further than that, if you can't at LEAST hold your own in the fast group, then again you are not ready!! ;)

Yeah you're right dude. I think the point I was getting at was that the track riding part of it is such a small part when you consider racing. Its basically practicing going round some tarmac. Racing is just so much more than that piled on top.

For me i think its more about the confidence level, going slow isnt necessarily a problem but being scared and unpredictable can be dangerous. I dont mind coming across slower riders in a race but its really not nice when they are worrying about what to do and inadvertantly wobble across the racing line as you are passing them.

Blue_SV650S
31-01-08, 11:18 AM
It is. There's a noise meter on the start finish straight with a direct link to the council offices who deal with noise complaints. If you break the limit they will haul you off the track until you are able to pass a noise test. I'm having to buy a legal baffle for my CBR6's Akrapovic system because I'm off for a half day's set-up there on Feb 22nd. The only other time I've ridden Donington was on my Gixer Thou with a legal Quill T3 can.

But Donny is right next to a hoofing greeeeet airport innit?!?! ... :D

Lozzo
31-01-08, 11:21 AM
But Donny is right next to a hoofing greeeeet airport innit?!?! ... :D

But that's ok because they're not flown by smelly bikers who overtake your BMW 5 series when you're stuck in traffic.

Here's a little tip for the residents of Castle Donington, Melbourne and the villages surrounding the race circuit. If you don't like noise, DON'T MOVE TO A VILLAGE THAT HAS AN AIRPORT AND A RACE TRACK ON YOUR DOORSTEP!

Same goes for those idiots who bought big houses that back right on to the GP circuit at Brands and complain about the noise - you knew the circuit was there, so why did you buy the bloody house in the first place.

Blue_SV650S
31-01-08, 11:24 AM
Yeah you're right dude. I think the point I was getting at was that the track riding part of it is such a small part when you consider racing. Its basically practicing going round some tarmac. Racing is just so much more than that piled on top.

For me i think its more about the confidence level, going slow isnt necessarily a problem but being scared and unpredictable can be dangerous. I dont mind coming across slower riders in a race but its really not nice when they are worrying about what to do and inadvertantly wobble across the racing line as you are passing them.

I think people have picked up on the word race too much (i.e. he wants to start racing) ... the actual discussion/point is should he go inters or novice on his next trackday ;)

Also people have presumed he is too carp to go to inters, without any evidence to say that is the case!! ;)

John 675
31-01-08, 11:51 AM
put it this way.. i live 5 miles from donny WHICH IS MINT ! ! !
and on race day with the wind in the right direction i can hear the ducati's perfectly as in gear changes.. the lot!
however i couldnt give a monkeys because.. its me and i love racing lol,

Blue_SV650S
31-01-08, 12:10 PM
put it this way.. i live 5 miles from donny WHICH IS MINT ! ! !
and on race day with the wind in the right direction i can hear the ducati's perfectly as in gear changes.. the lot!
however i couldnt give a monkeys because.. its me and i love racing lol,

My point is that its not like the track has just been put there ... people must have moved there with that knowledge!! ... also its not like it is the only noise pollution in the area ;)

John 675
31-01-08, 12:51 PM
My point is that its not like the track has just been put there ... people must have moved there with that knowledge!! ... also its not like it is the only noise pollution in the area ;)

my grandmar (bless her) lived in donny for about 30.. maybe more. at the back of her house there was a massive feild... then the airport then the race track.. and i tell you you DO get used to it, so when people come along and complain.. as you say YOU CANT MISS AN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND RACE TRACK ! ! ! ! ! lol, but i loved it

Bear
31-01-08, 01:29 PM
Also people have presumed he is too carp to go to inters, without any evidence to say that is the case!! ;)

Not quite. I know Chris, I've seen his bike and a little of his riding, and have had reports on it from a few others whose opinions I trust. I wouldn't say carp, but he is quite new to riding. Maybe the training has helped him come on leaps and bounds, it probably has, but I also know that he's really enthusiastic, and in my opinion sometimes overstretches himself. (I'm not saying this as a dis of you at all Chris, it's good to be enthusiastic and push the boundaries, you just need to know when!)

I'm concerned about him pushing himself too far in one go and having something nasty happen. That said of course I could be wrong (there's a first time for everything after all...) but at the end of the day it's his life and his decision.

Blue_SV650S
31-01-08, 01:31 PM

Ah .... I see!! ;)

monkey
31-01-08, 06:56 PM
Talk about derailling! He he he.

Where are the pics?! Can't wait for Silverstone. Is there an easy way to get used to a track without forking out for the guides? I've tried watching Blue's video's but he's too quick! Maybe on slow mo with a copy of the track next to me.

What was that about derailling? Sorry. :(

;)

Paws
31-01-08, 07:37 PM
hmmm the whole should he be novice or inters arguement is interesting...
me and my ex did our first ever trackday last year and i booked him into inters and me in novice, was the right decision as he was much more a confident rider than me.
why not go in inters and if you or the track guys dont think its suiting you then you'll just get moved to novice.

metalmonkey
31-01-08, 10:40 PM
Not quite. I know Chris, I've seen his bike and a little of his riding, and have had reports on it from a few others whose opinions I trust. I wouldn't say carp, but he is quite new to riding. Maybe the training has helped him come on leaps and bounds, it probably has, but I also know that he's really enthusiastic, and in my opinion sometimes overstretches himself. (I'm not saying this as a dis of you at all Chris, it's good to be enthusiastic and push the boundaries, you just need to know when!)

I'm concerned about him pushing himself too far in one go and having something nasty happen. That said of course I could be wrong (there's a first time for everything after all...) but at the end of the day it's his life and his decision.

I have always pushed myself, I have too....This time last year I hadn't even got on a bike, it was still a dream which I made happen, so now I'm working on my next. Yup I have been riding SV for under 6 months so lack experince a lot you guys do, but who says I can't build it up very fast?

I was thinking today at work, how much work has be done to race, but I though its very possiable so I will push for it, I know the risks even they were higher I would go for it, but I'm not dumb I won't put myself in harms way for the sake of it.

It probally wouldn't suprise you lot when I raced boats, I have a scary accident, I got caught under the main sail, which pushed me under the water, got feet caught in the rigging, I swallowed quite a bit of water that day. That was one of the times I though I though OH S*** this is going very wrong. It didn't out me off racing.

Well I have made my mind up and I'm going for it!

Grinny
01-02-08, 10:44 AM
What sort of times are you doing? That way you can judge yourself against racers to see if you could cut it even at the rear of the field.

Racing is a massive step up from trackdays! Not to put you off, when I started racing, i was in like 20th-30th position, in 2007 I was winning races! Thats was only in 2 years of racing..

You ride with faster people, they drag you along loads!

Hope this helps,

Ben

chunkytfg
01-02-08, 12:31 PM
What sort of times are you doing? That way you can judge yourself against racers to see if you could cut it even at the rear of the field.

Racing is a massive step up from trackdays! Not to put you off, when I started racing, i was in like 20th-30th position, in 2007 I was winning races! Thats was only in 2 years of racing..

You ride with faster people, they drag you along loads!

Hope this helps,

Ben

No it's not!

Racing at the front of the pack certainly is but if you are there to make up the numbers at the back then the pace isnt that much more than you'd expect from the slow end of a fast group.

The thing that makes it so much different is th attitude of the guys around you. On trackdays you are curteous to others and give them room but racing you will do anything you have to(within reason) to get infront of the guy ahead even if that means parking yourself on the aopex of the corner leaving the other guy noweher to go but way off line!

monkey
02-02-08, 10:18 PM
Piccys please Blue

metalmonkey
03-02-08, 11:16 PM
Piccys please Blue

Please look in photo section there are links to my photos in there:D

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=1405285#post1405285

monkey
03-02-08, 11:45 PM
Nice one Cyril. (Someone's nicked your lowers!)
:)

metalmonkey
03-02-08, 11:47 PM
Nice one Cyril. (Someone's nicked your lowers!)
:)

My lowers are currently in my bedroom, as there is no where else to put them I took them off for the track day and I need to clean them and the bike now before i put them back on!

monkey
03-02-08, 11:50 PM
...I need to clean the bike now before i put them back on!

Too right you do!