PDA

View Full Version : Info required for some bad news I recieved.

Jester666
29-01-08, 11:22 PM
Just got some rather bad news.

My Aunt and Godmother has been diagnosed with Leukemia.

Has anyone (unfortunately) had any experience on this?

Mum and my Uncle (Vicky & Mums Brother) are going for tests to see if they can be bone marrow donors.

I would offer but having practicaly green blood (AB-) I can't help.

I'm off to see her in York hospital next Wednesday.

Chemo(?) has already started, what should I expect?

Her Dad , my Granda, died of leukemia. Is it hereditary?

Any info woud be most welcome.

Cheers

Paul.

ASM-Forever
29-01-08, 11:30 PM
I don't have much experience with this, but sorry to hear about it all the same.

I had a school friend who had leukemia and she beat it, so keep positive.

CoolGirl
29-01-08, 11:38 PM
I've no idea, but you know where we are for moral support. :grouphug:

I believe Caz has been working with oncology patients, so may be able to give you a steer.

Jester666
29-01-08, 11:52 PM
I'm ok(ish) with it as I haven't seen her for over 11 years.

Family issues and all that.

But she's still blood!

monkey
30-01-08, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear that Paul.

It's a reminder for us all to see if we can donate. It's only a blood test I think.

Here's the linky:

https://secure.blood.co.uk/bonemarrow.asp

ethariel
30-01-08, 12:41 AM
Bugger mate, sorry to hear.

My Grandad passed away from Lukemia a good few years ago (was a test subject errrr volunteer at the Uk A Bomb testing - no connection there honest say MoD).

Colin

Luckypants
30-01-08, 01:41 AM
Paul

Bad news mate. not able to help on what to expect, but am able to offer you the assurance that the Palliative Care team in York is first class. Your aunt is in good hands.

Best wishes to your aunt and all of you.

Fizzy Fish
30-01-08, 09:45 AM
sorry to hear it Paul :(

Bear
30-01-08, 09:50 AM
Again, no help on the what to expect front, but you know where I am mate.

metalmonkey
30-01-08, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear this mate always a shock when you get news like this. I have not been through this but as the others said, you know where to find us all.

Alpinestarhero
30-01-08, 01:18 PM
It can be hereditary, as cancer involves DNA and stuff, although there are many factors involved in determining whether or not you'll actually develop cancerous cells. I don't know alot about leukemia, although one of my freinds developed it when he was young and through chemo pulled through; he's still very well, although a bit of a chav.

I'm biased towards chemical treatment, chemicals being my freinds and all! Treatment for leukemia depends on what actual type leukemia it is; leukemia itself is where there is a abnormally large increase in the amount of blood cells made, which crowds the bone marrow structure (ref: wikipedia :D) so anything to reverse this should be an effective treatment.

Best wishes Paul,

Matt

helen
30-01-08, 01:39 PM
My dad had Hodgkinson's disease twice c. 15 years ago, which is kind of akin to leukaemia, but obviously a different sort of cancer. He had bone marrow transplants, blood transfusions, chemo, radiotherapy, the lot twice over from what I can recall (I was c 14/15 at the time).

But it is so hard to comment upon individual cases of cancer.

All I can say is that it isn't necessarily a death sentence - my dad's been 'in the clear' for 13 years or so, and doing fine. And treatment would have come on in leaps and bounds since then.

ranathari
30-01-08, 04:54 PM
Can you tell us what kind of leukaemia it is? Some specific subtypes of leukaemia tend to be inherited far more than others.

I know it's a bit callous to say but you should be okay because it's just your aunt and godmother. When you have two or more first-degree relatives (e.g. Mum, Dad, brother, sister) then you're likely to be at increased risk. Aunts are second-degree relatives so you need more of them to have it before you're at increased risk.

Spiderman
30-01-08, 08:47 PM
I have nothing usefull to add mate. My best wishes to her for a good comeback against it.

Cazza
01-02-08, 12:42 AM
Hi Paul,

Really sorry to hear about this. Each case is individual - but the NHS Direct website is usually a good place to start for basic information: http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=231&sectionId=1

The staff looking after her will be able to tell you what her treatment plan will involve and answer questions you may have about side effects etc.

In addition to the treatment provided by the medical team, don't underestimate the positive effect that the love and support from your family will have on your Aunt - it's amazing what it can do.

K
01-02-08, 08:10 AM
Got no experience with this - but thoughts are with you and yours. :(

Devil Biccy
02-02-08, 04:53 PM
Paul, have faith in the NHS and the industry that keeps it going i.e. Pharma, There have been significant advances in the treatment of leukemia via the chemical route and know of a few treatment options post Chemo that maybe used, however as Cazza said in her earlier post the positive support of family and friends can be just as helpful in recovery.

http://www.novartisoncology.com/page/glivec.jsp

One of the drugs I worked on many years ago if this the type of Leukemia that is being treated

Jester666
03-02-08, 01:26 AM
Thanks for all the replys and info.

I'm off up to Mum and Dads on Monday so won't be online much.

We are off to see my Aunt on Wednesday in York and Mum is having the test to see if she can be a bone marrow donor.

See you all soon.

Paul

Alpinestarhero
03-02-08, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the replys and info.

I'm off up to Mum and Dads on Monday so won't be online much.

We are off to see my Aunt on Wednesday in York and Mum is having the test to see if she can be a bone marrow donor.

See you all soon.

Paul

Take care mate, if you need to talk when you back let us know, I'll shout you a cup of tea at the ace :smt056

Matt