PDA

View Full Version : Doh!!!

Blue_SV650S
07-02-08, 10:05 AM
I was full of the joys of motorcycling life today... had a really fun ride in . nice 2-shift wheelie past a fit burd in a leaner car ... that sort of
stuff ... :riding: 8)

I get to the bike sheds at work and my normal space is taken up. ok, so I decide to reverse into another spot as there is a gap between a post and another bike. I am on RHS of the bike and start reversing in and I realise there isn't enough room for me, my bike and my rucksack without touching the bike I was parking next to with my rucksack. So I decide to rest the bike on its sidestand and walk round the other side where there was room ... so push the bike away from me to its stand side ... only evidently I didn't have the sidestand down!!!! :shock:

... tried to save it, but when the weight gets away from you like that, you have no chance!! So the inevitable happened ... There was a tank-post interface!! :smt022

The air was all shades of blue I can tell you!!! :smt091

Warthog
07-02-08, 10:07 AM
Hahaha, something about pride coming before a fall? But seriously, thats unlucky mate, how badly damaged is it? If its a dented blue tank, welcome to my club!

Blue_SV650S
07-02-08, 10:12 AM
Hahaha, something about pride coming before a fall? But seriously, thats unlucky mate, how badly damaged is it? If its a dented blue tank, welcome to my club!

Yep, hoofing great dent in the tank ... the whole weight of the bike was on the corner of a concrete post!! :shock: ... tank is gonna lose :(

Its taken about 3" square of paint off and everything!! :cry:

pmapp
07-02-08, 10:17 AM
Oh fudge

rob13
07-02-08, 10:51 AM
New tank then Blue.....

Speedy Claire
07-02-08, 10:51 AM
Geez sorry to hear that.... :( I can imagine how blue the air was!!

K
07-02-08, 11:08 AM
You could take a hammer to the other side and call an experiment in aerodynamics?

No?

Thought not. ;)

At least it was just the tank I s'pose - would have been worse if you'd set all the bike over domino fashion.

Blue_SV650S
07-02-08, 11:08 AM
New tank then Blue.....

Yep :cry: And what are the chances of me finding a good one at a fair price?!!? :(

Geez sorry to hear that.... :( I can imagine how blue the air was!!

And not the good Blue_ blue either!! :D

It was one of those egg card equilibrium moments!! :smt082

To be fair it obviously wasn’t in an way shape or form MY fault … … it was firstly the guy who parked in my normal spot and secondly the guy I had to squeeze my bike into spots fault … I am obviously totally absolved …. :mrgreen:

Blue_SV650S
07-02-08, 11:09 AM
At least it was just the tank I s'pose - would have been worse if you'd set all the bike over domino fashion.

That did cross my mind!! :shock: .. but as it was the post was in the way and there were no (motor)bikes the other side of the post anyway ...

lookskyward1
07-02-08, 06:21 PM
I feel for you, I dropped a full bike fuel tank on its top before and literally cried like a bairn.:smt089

Try one of those Dent Master / dent Devil type of guys they seem to be able to work wonders with car panels and are a lot cheaper than a body shop.

If the dent will not come out completely you may be able to fill the dent using car filler. When it comes to the top coat of paint don't worry too much about the paint colour matching exactly as the tank is a separate panel from the others and looks slightly different due to the light. You are best to work on the tank in a warm and dry environment.

You will need filler, filler primer, primer, top coat, various grades of wet and dry paper, masking tape, newspaper and paper towel and cellulous thinner for cleaning up. Keep everything spotlessly clean.

1 Roughen up the surface to be filled.
2 Use small amounts of filler in thin layers to build up the level.
3 Once you have got enough filler in the dent use plenty of water with a course 'wet and dry paper on a block to sand down to the tanks profile.
4 Use your hands to feel the area you are working in to compare with the undamaged side.
5 Use small amounts of filler to bring the surface up again and use a progressively finer wet and dry paper to smooth off.
6 Once you are happy with the shape of the repair use a filler primer.
7 Use a fine wet and dry paper to smooth off.
8 This is when you need to make the decision to add more filler or carry on with paint, if you use more filler make sure you use filler primer to re-check the results.
9 Use a primer that is suitable to match the top colour of the car.
10 Smooth the undercoat paint with wet and dry.
14 Allow the undercoat full drying time before applying the top coats of paint, use a very fine wet and dry between coats.
15 As you spray on the top coats of paint follow each spray line with the next so that you are spraying right alongside/overlapping a previoiusly wet spray line.
16 If you need to use a clear varnish over the paint again use a fine wet and dry to give it a key.
17 Once the paint is settled you can polish it gently with T cut to polish it up.

It does sound like a lot of work but patience is the key and don't be afraid to go back and refil or sand down as necessary to get a good finish. Good luck.

yorkie_chris
07-02-08, 06:34 PM
To be fair it obviously wasn’t in an way shape or form MY fault … … it was firstly the guy who parked in my normal spot and secondly the guy I had to squeeze my bike into spots fault … I am obviously totally absolved …. :mrgreen:

OK firstly what about the guy who put a CONCRETE post there? Eh? The reckless b4stard, should have used a duck-down post.
Absolved? ... totally, it's a damn conspiracy.

Secondly, you big, gay, bum loving poofter, what's this about a new tank? Dented tanks give a bike character, especially when you cover over the rusty bits with £2 rattle can paint.
(guess who won't fork out for a new one hehe)

lookskyward1
07-02-08, 06:52 PM
especially when you cover over the rusty bits with £2 rattle can paint.

Aha, Baglux tank cover:rolleyes:

Stu
07-02-08, 07:26 PM
I nice 2-shift wheelie past a fit burd in a
What 1st to 3rd on one wheel? :notworthy:

:smt056

Thought you were the picture of innocence oon the road :???:

sv-robo
07-02-08, 07:59 PM
bet you did,nt do that in front of the fit burd in the learner car,lol.

Blue_SV650S
07-02-08, 08:14 PM
Ok, I have decided just to stick with the tank I have for now, perhaps keep an eye out for a new one, but not that bothered about getting one straight off, I only use the bike to go to work and back .. I have started my own repair, but I am not going to the hassle of trying to repair a bit more properly in the manner suggested. I have rubbed it down and put some grey primer on it to prevent rust ... I now just need to find a large enough sticker to cover it!! :D

As for the wheelie, yep, started off in first, lofted now, flicked into second by the time I was just about level with her bonnet ... carried on a bit then 3rd ... managed to carry that for a bit and she came down nice and controlled/slow ... I am not really a 'stunt' type person, but it was sweet 8) ... oh and I am sure the learner burd was not particularly impressed!! :D

It makes me chuckle to think of the conversation that probably took place between her and the instructor mind!! :D:D:D

blueto
07-02-08, 09:26 PM
I get to the bike sheds at work and my normal space is taken up.!!! :shock:

... tried to save it, but when the weight gets away from you like that, you have no chance!! So the inevitable happened ... There was a tank-post interface!! :smt022

The air was all shades of blue I can tell you!!! :smt091

I blame the other biker. he new the blue sv parks there ussually and should have had some bike parking respect! Ask him to foot the bill!

metalmonkey
07-02-08, 10:25 PM
Yeah know that doh moment, when I had my 125 I was trying to get into the garage in the rain, I lost my foot I slipped and dropped my bike:smt022I was well angry with my self I had broken my front brake leaver! Nice one Thunder....Well I have no mastered getting my bike in backwards in the garage in the rain, I really don't want to drop my SV. Did that once, I hope never again!

Oh yeah I was put a massive huge ass dent in a work van a few years ago, my boss was like who's fault was it...simple I said what kind of idiot puts bollands where vans can get caught on them, he wasn't that impressed but he was **** and I didn't like my job:smt077:smt097he got that I got new job, lol.

phil24_7
08-02-08, 05:43 AM
spay liquid nitrogen on the dent (nick some from the doctors if you have to!) to shrink the metal back and pop the dent out.

Gordon B
08-02-08, 10:26 AM
spay liquid nitrogen on the dent (nick some from the doctors if you have to!)

:smt103:smt103:smt103

Kate Moss
08-02-08, 10:36 AM
doh indeed! At least the world has restored its clever dumb balance!!

Baph
08-02-08, 10:59 AM
Blue, I have to admit, I've done exactly the same thing with my K6.

Only change the "pushing bike away on to it's side stand" to "pushing the bike through a narrow gate in my garden."

Oh yeah, and change the "post" for "bush".

Oh yeah, I didn't dent anything either.

I personally blamed the previous owner of the house, and immediately ripped their obviously inadequate gate down, and part of the wall to put a proper 3ft gate in it's place. Not been a problem since.

When are you taking the sledge hammer to work to remove (partially at least) the post? :D

Blue_SV650S
08-02-08, 11:11 AM

I notice the bike that took MY spot yesterday isn't there today ;)

tactcom7
08-02-08, 12:48 PM
Fill it full of water and bang it in the freezer, dent will pop right out! ;)

Works for Sigg water bottles so why not? hehe

neio79
08-02-08, 01:24 PM
ohh bugger, i know how you feel today mate!!

Blue_SV650S
08-02-08, 07:32 PM
And here it is!! Its not a little one! Look at the PAINT!!!:smt022

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/blue_sv650s/dent.jpg