PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Smaller Rideout on Sunday ?

fizzwheel
09-02-08, 12:24 PM
Does anybody fancy this ? It wont be part of the official rideout, so it wont be marked or marshalled in the same way, I just thought I'd offer this up off my own back.

Saturday is main rideout day, But would anybody who is making a weekend out of it like another 2nd smaller rideout over some different roads on Sunday ?

I had a thought that taking a smaller group of riders up the Zig Zag on Sunday might work OK. Its not particularly easy to ride up as its sharp hairpin bends that switchback on themselves. Its got a bit of notoriety locally but it can be done if you ride it slowly and take some care.

Its been re-surfaced since the BBC article I have linked to was published and its much better to ride up now. Its not far from the campsite so its easily do able.

Just thought I would offer it up as an option for Sunday should people fancy it I am more than happy to take a group up there.

More info

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4683276.stm

A you tube vid of it, the Zig Zag itself is covered in the first 1 minute and half of this vid

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUU95SaJUM

I havent included this in the Saturday rideout route. I thought that it was a bit ambitious for new / nervous riders and I wanted the main rideout to be accessable to all.

It is fun and it is safe as long as you leave space between you and the bike in front and keep your speed down on the approach to the corners.

If anybody wants to do this seperately during the weekend let me know. Or if you are down in the area again let me know and I'll guide you round it.

Cheers

Fizz

Frank
09-02-08, 06:43 PM
Up for that one.Being as I havnt got far to go home

hovis
09-02-08, 07:04 PM
hang over permitting............ yes

Frank
09-02-08, 07:05 PM
hang over permitting............ yes
oh no

Viper
10-02-08, 01:25 PM
Im in :smt003:smt003:smt003

I love ZIG ZAG.

Come on MOGS sign up for this i could do with a laugh, remember we ride on the left :D:D

neio79
10-02-08, 06:45 PM
oh yeah count me in , time to test the Ninjas suposidly great handaling!!

tee jey
11-02-08, 12:27 PM
Im in :smt003:smt003:smt003

I love ZIG ZAG.

Come on MOGS sign up for this i could do with a laugh, remember we ride on the left :D:D

Me too, however the best bit is the road after ZZag over the hill to Tollard.

tee jey
11-02-08, 12:28 PM
oh yeah count me in , time to test the Ninjas suposidly great handaling!!

It will

Gordon B
11-02-08, 03:18 PM
Does look amazing, but I've got a long ride back to Yorkshire so gonna have to pass....

Baph
11-02-08, 03:21 PM
I'm not going on the AR, but top idea Fizz.

That's something that was missing in last years rideout, a more complex ride, without really excluding novice riders.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Skip
19-02-08, 10:44 PM
The chance to go on some roads that someone else knows in a place I dont?! Count me in!! :D

northwind
20-02-08, 07:20 PM
While I like the idea, I won't be fit to ride the morning after :thumbsup:

phil24_7
20-02-08, 08:10 PM
Same as Hovis.

Yes - hangover permitting!

Lissa
20-02-08, 08:15 PM
No hangovers for us, so all being well and the tentative area arrangements hold, we'll be up for it.:D:D

tinpants
21-02-08, 07:58 PM
While I like the idea, I won't be fit to ride the morning after :thumbsup:

Well said that man!!!!

Hope those that do go out on the Sunday remember to close one eye. ( so they only see one set of cats eyes!!!)

fizzwheel
21-02-08, 08:00 PM
Tis a good point. I should add a caveat that I'll only lead you round when I feel fit to ride or should that be if....

Ed
21-02-08, 08:55 PM
Looked at the vid. Some of those bends are more than 90 degrees:smt101

Lissa
21-02-08, 09:03 PM

Looks great, doesn't it:D

Besides, how can I not do a ride that visits MY county;)

neio79
21-02-08, 10:13 PM

IIRC we done that hill last september on the dorset doddle, i had no idea what was coming and did not find it too bad at all, just as Fizz says keep your speed down on the corners. Although they are tight you would have to be a nutter to try and get to knee down speeds on them.

the best bit is the fast sweeping section on the newly surfaced road:D

have no fear Ed my Kwak and your 675 should at least make us look ok to good rders on the hill ;)

fizzwheel
21-02-08, 10:19 PM
IIRC we done that hill last september on the dorset doddle

Aye that we did

Drew Carey
22-02-08, 05:51 PM
Looks good that road, deffinately up for it. Subject like everyone else to having no hangover.

Stig
23-02-08, 09:14 AM
This could be a possibility. Would like to, just don't know if it will be possible.

Viper
23-02-08, 09:43 AM
This could be a possibility. Would like to, just don't know if it will be possible.

Its a posibility it my be possible possibly ;)