View Full Version : west end cafe llandovery

hovis
10-02-08, 10:45 PM
£3 for a bacon sarnie

£5 for sausage & egg bap & cup of tea

heard a few people moaning about their prices laterly

Spiderman
11-02-08, 02:54 PM
Sounds about average for london and a little cheaper than the Ace Cafe too.
I'm curious tho....how much is an "average" bacon/sausage sarnie & cup o tea round your way then mate?

ASM-Forever
12-02-08, 04:37 PM
+1 to what the webslinger said.

I think that you yokels are used to be being spoiled. :)

Zombie Jesus
12-02-08, 06:03 PM
llandovery isn't eaxctly in a weathly area like the SE of england, it in the middle of nowhere between brecon and lampeter!

it was about £3 something for burger and chips last time I went :-k

the white rabbit
12-02-08, 06:08 PM
I dont remember the breakfasts ever being cheap.

the white rabbit
12-02-08, 06:09 PM
llandovery isn't eaxctly in a weathly area like the SE of england, it in the middle of nowhere between brecon and lampeter!

Yeah, but a middle of nowhere that attracts loads of bikers. I think Llandovery is relatively afluent compared to say Rhayader. I think its overrated though food wise.

Xan173
12-02-08, 07:15 PM
Yeah, but a middle of nowhere that attracts loads of bikers. I think Llandovery is relatively afluent compared to say Rhayader. I think its overrated though food wise.

Agreed.

I'll be on the lookout for somewhere that serves something a bit more wholesome and healthy this year. Why is it always burgers, eggs sausages and chips?

So far the best place I've found in our neck of the woods is the The George at Newnham-on-Severn (http://www.locr.com/photo_detail.php?id=11096&ref=24&index=2&user_id=348). There's a whole food cafe downstairs and a walled garden out back, parking very nearby.

Welsh_Wizard
12-02-08, 08:47 PM
The West End Cafe is bunk !! Crap prices and all they sell is greasy ****e!

I had a cup of tea, a shortcake dunking biscuit and a bowl of chips and it was £5.65. Thats a stupid price !! Even more stupider than the fact they seem to bring out an inflated menu when the flippin' sun comes out! Daylight muggery.

ejohnh
03-03-08, 01:40 PM
The West End Cafe is bunk !! Crap prices and all they sell is greasy ****e!

I had a cup of tea, a shortcake dunking biscuit and a bowl of chips and it was £5.65. Thats a stupid price !! Even more stupider than the fact they seem to bring out an inflated menu when the flippin' sun comes out! Daylight muggery.

+1 for Hovis and WW.

The hot drinks and food are tasteless rubbish. A cold sausage roll approx 15mmx50mm offered @ £1 last week.

Tea and coffee have a similar flavour(water). I paid something like £6 for a mug of teawater and a bacon roll last summer and resolved never to buy anything there again.

The 'burger' vans scattered around provide better quality stuff at 1/2 the price. It's about time bikers boycotted the place.

Viney
03-03-08, 02:04 PM
I still like the cafe. In all hoesty, thats about the right price for us londoners.

ejohnh
03-03-08, 02:53 PM
I still like the cafe. In all hoesty, thats about the right price for us londoners.

I'm an ex Londoner(NW10) myself (For which I will ever be thankful ;)) but it still feels a like a rip off when compared to other greasy spoons around here.

There is another 'Biker' cafe just outside Cowbridge(an affluent area) which sells a decent mug of tea at 40p less than the WEC. If the WEC stuff was any good I wouldn't mind at all.

As I recall from many years back, the food in the Ace used to be quite reasonable and the tea actually contained tea. :)

Mogs
03-03-08, 03:06 PM
You could try the little cafe attached to the petrol station in Sennybridge, the prices are a little cheaper, and its real food.

ejohnh
03-03-08, 03:27 PM
You could try the little cafe attached to the petrol station in Sennybridge, the prices are a little cheaper, and its real food.

Is that on the A40 Mogs?

Mogs
03-03-08, 03:50 PM
Yes. It on the left hand side when entering Sennybridge from the west, just before the speed limit drops to 30mph.

Beckett
03-03-08, 07:54 PM
Or the right hand side if you are going westwards, just before it goes to an NSL....

Its not always open though, at least it wasnt when I usualy go past it !

Viney
04-03-08, 03:58 PM
Look, its at the correct end of the A40 though.

Beckett
07-03-08, 06:46 PM
Yup, you are right there.... kinda goes crap once it leaves Wales !

graham04
06-10-08, 07:11 PM
Here is a tip to all who travel to the West End cafe. As I can be found in the cafe most Sunday mornings all year round at about 8am ( this provides a fairly plod free run to start the day ) , I feel I should share this info with you all.
I have watched with some amusement riders arrive on their exotic Italia costing many thousands of pounds more than humble SV's . They wear £300 alpine stars, £1000 plus matching leathers, £500 helmets and £160 gloves. With all this clobber on, they stumble about 100yds up the road where you can find several cafes open. This saves them 30p for a tea and 50p for the bacon butty. Once they are full, they return desperately looking for admiring glances from the poor souls who are unable to make such an arduous journey.
So if you are in need of saving a couple of bob, join the exotica and walk up the road. Frankly who cares what it costs, this is the start of biking heaven in any direction.
Graham

ejohnh
06-10-08, 07:25 PM
Here is a tip to all who travel to the West End cafe. As I can be found in the cafe most Sunday mornings all year round at about 8am ( this provides a fairly plod free run to start the day ) , I feel I should share this info with you all.
I have watched with some amusement riders arrive on their exotic Italia costing many thousands of pounds more than humble SV's . They wear £300 alpine stars, £1000 plus matching leathers, £500 helmets and £160 gloves. With all this clobber on, they stumble about 100yds up the road where you can find several cafes open. This saves them 30p for a tea and 50p for the bacon butty. Once they are full, they return desperately looking for admiring glances from the poor souls who are unable to make such an arduous journey.
So if you are in need of saving a couple of bob, join the exotica and walk up the road. Frankly who cares what it costs, this is the start of biking heaven in any direction.
Graham

I think it's more a case of objecting to being ripped off for dishwater tea or coffee mate. Oh yes, and being short changed a few times too. I wouldn't buy there for exactly those reasons. As for the exotic biker gear, I haven't noticed a lot of that there. But there again, I don't go in for all that bitchy stuff, it doesn't bother me :smt058
John

hovis
06-10-08, 07:36 PM
Graham

its $hite.......

the only good thing about it is the free visor wipe things

Lissa
07-10-08, 05:57 AM
I have watched with some amusement riders arrive on their exotic Italia costing many thousands of pounds more than humble SV's . They wear £300 alpine stars, £1000 plus matching leathers, £500 helmets and £160 gloves.
Graham

Ah, so that's where we're going wrong.................we still wear the same gear we had for riding the SV.:p

The West End cafe WAS good, a few years ago. The standards have dropped dramatically. We will now use the cafe at Sennybridge instead, as contrary to your bigoted idea of Italian bike riders, we aren't minted, and prefer value for money!

Lou M
07-10-08, 02:42 PM
Now that's useful, we've seen many bikers at Sennybridge, but didn't realise there was a cafe next to the Petrol Station.

Personally we always go to the t-bar at Llanspyddid, good prices and food is just better than good, and the lady that runs it is very pleasant and friendly and never forgets a face.

But then Llanspyddid is about half way on our regular run from Worcester to St Davids.

G
07-10-08, 02:55 PM
Do we have a cafe supporter/investor in our midst......perhaps they can take back this good advice to the establishment and make suitable changes.

Lissa
07-10-08, 03:14 PM
Now that's useful, we've seen many bikers at Sennybridge, but didn't realise there was a cafe next to the Petrol Station.

It's excellent. The food is very good................and you should see their ice cream sundaes!:shock:

hovis
07-10-08, 03:23 PM
It's excellent. The food is very good................and you should see their ice cream sundaes!:shock:

i have heard good things about the place in sennybridge, but not yet been.

i think i may include it on the welsh TT 2 i have planed for november

Xan173
07-10-08, 03:43 PM
I'm in two minds about the West End Cafe.

THE GOOD
It stays open all year.
It seems to employ loads of local youngsters.
It does a wide range of food.

THE BAD
Pricey, particularly for tea/coffee.
Fed up with being told "Run out of Sunday Roast" only to see staff sit down on the next table 30min later to have theirs.
Outside area has really gone to pot.

Alpinestarhero
07-10-08, 06:15 PM
Graham

Might be all the penny pinching that got them the money to afford italian exotica in the first place?

Anywho, whats all this about alpinestars being the mark of a rich man :D

Lou M
07-10-08, 08:48 PM

Oooohhhhhh, you've sold it to me, Ice Cream Sundaes!!!

OY MR LOU, FANCY A RIDE OUT ON SUNDAY? I KNOW A LOVELY CAFE!!!

Ceri JC
21-11-08, 09:31 AM
As Mogs says, the Sennybridge cafe is better and it is near some cracking (and comparatively plod-free) roads.

_Stretchie_
21-11-08, 09:50 AM
I like the cafe, but the food's average at best and waaaay to pricey for what it is.

ejohnh
21-11-08, 11:23 AM
I like the cafe, but the food's average at best and waaaay to pricey for what it is.

I went there a couple of times during the summer and I thought the fare was very reasonably priced, and a lot less than the WEC,

_Stretchie_
21-11-08, 11:34 AM
Really? I feel an agreed (non AR) camping weekend in Wales coming on earlish next year.. And we can have this as one of the stops (always nice to have an excuse to go away for the weekend...)