PDA

View Full Version : cheep racing (cb 500)

Spike1105
24-02-08, 09:25 PM
hi Im wanting a cheep way into racing as im in college and dont have parental backing, so i have been researching have found a series for honda cb500's were the bike has to be kept virtually standard and think this could be perfect for me. i was just wondering if anyone has raced in it or no's anyone who's raced cb 500's.

i was planning on gettin a cb 500 for a winter hack next winter and turning it into a race bikeafter the winter, what are you htought on this, the idea came about when i realised i didnt want to ride the sv im planing on gettin through the winter

Sideshow#36
24-02-08, 09:42 PM
Bloomin eck, you are at collage, you want a road SV and you want to race too? You must also have a job on top of this I presume to pay for it all seeing as you havnt got parental support? Ive heard CB500 racing is fairly cheap but racing is still quite expensive. Its all of the other costs that you dont innitaily think of that creep up on you.

How are you going to get the bike to and from races? You will need a car with a trailer or a van. Thats more cost on top of what you are already running. You need somewhere to sleep at races. Fair enought a tent would suffice but I wouldnt reccomend it. So a caravan is the best option.

Race entry fees? Tyres? Spares and consumables? Then there is the innitial outlay for the bike and while it may be staying "road standard" you still need to bring it up to conform with the ACU rules and regs which can cost a bit. All the paddock support equipment that goes with it too. Generator, tyre warmers, paddock stands, tools, etc.

I'm not trying to put a damper on things but it does cost more than you think. Im just about to start in the Minitwins and me and the Mrs. are in quite well paid jobs and we have had to cut back on a lot of things.

Spike1105
24-02-08, 09:49 PM
i ride on the road at the moment and work all the hours im not at college at halfords and will be able to get my licence done and get an sv on the road by the summer, i have a padock stand and acess to alot of tool (dads) and a neighbour of mine has loads of friend who race that have offered to help me out, however transport is the majour problem at the moment

i was just wondering what the average cost per season of racing a cb as i believe u could get a race set up for under a grand, am i right or not?

o i have a friend who is a painter who has offerd to paint help out a bit in exhacge for his name on the swingarm and belly pan but understand i will need more sponsors to afford a full season

Sideshow#36
24-02-08, 09:59 PM
As I say I couldnt comment on the CB series but the Minitwins is £2002 alone in just race fees. (10 rounds)
If you want to do the Friday practice day thats about another £750 a season.
I'm not sure on how quickly CB's need tyres changing etc. But ill be lucky if I see change from £1500 in tyres for the season.
And thats just the basics. Then as I say add onto that things like food and water for the weekend. Fule to and from the tracks and for the bike on track.
Check out http://www.cb500cup.co.uk/ . These guys may be able to help you a littler more.

metalmonkey
24-02-08, 10:16 PM
Mate it gonna cost everything you earn and the rest.....

My job pays alright, I will struggle to find enough to pull it togther that with arranging part sponorship as well. The inital cost is a lot to get started, I still thinking of getting a cheap, cheap van on basic insurance.

Also you need to a join a club like Bemsee, then get your rookie ACU licemce, plus you need one piece leathers ect, its quite a list.

If you get a van, then at least you can sleep in it. But then your going to you driving licence as well. So at the moment your looking at getting your bike licence, drving licence, a van and a road bike. As young teenager your insurance will be high, I have been and paid for all that.

I would sit down and cost it all out, being realistic, you won't be able to afford, all that I might be able too, by working silly over time, I think in one week I'm doing 52 hours just make extra money and a bit of help. But if I did, it mean no hoildays, buying no new clothes or anything like that my MP3 player has broken, I would like a new one, but not sure I can one....you know you won't have a spare penny. But if your gonna do it, do t know before your older and have reponsabilities!

Spike1105
24-02-08, 10:26 PM
yes i have looked on the cb500 cup foruma and have looked at the regulation and recon you can get a bike for under ?500 get it acu ready (lock wire it all, have engine armounr and oil catch pans etc), get new tyres (?100 a pair) and get it looking good for under a grand, if i can arrange (not me driving) this will save as i dont reli want to do my driving test til after uni, from looking at all the cost i think the entry fee's are goning to be the big hit in terms of cost

metalmonkey
24-02-08, 10:34 PM
The biggest cost are the entry fees, followed by the praticse day, then tyres, but all soon adds up. Tyres depends on hard you ride the bike ect, mate if you can do it, then go for it, but just remember it gonna cost.

Go to motofurm.net that the fourm for club racing, I'm sure someone there will be able to help more than we can here, or call Bemsee of who runs the class, they should be able to help you. Good Luck!

sv650k4
25-02-08, 04:34 PM
most/any class of racing will still cost you a good few quid 2 get stared and will still cost you good money when you have all the stuff ie...entry fees,fuel,maintaining the bike,tyres,your transport fuel etc...