PDA

View Full Version : Musty boots

missyburd
11-03-08, 03:18 PM
I've just bought a pair of Frank Thomas boots off ebay for a bargain price, received them today and it's clear that they've been sat unused in a cupboard for rather a long time :roll: They have a very musty smell, so much so it's managed to stink out my room in the space of ten minutes :shock:

Obviously they just need a good airing but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to get rid of the smell quicker, that will eradicate it not just cover it up.

Cheers in advance :)

Maria

plowsie
11-03-08, 03:21 PM
Wash em?

Grinch
11-03-08, 03:23 PM
Just buy some boot sanitizer, we have some that sits next to the boots, they get a good spray after a long ride. It also kills all the nasty bacteria that builds up.

SoulKiss
11-03-08, 03:27 PM
I've just bought a pair of Frank Thomas boots off ebay for a bargain price, received them today and it's clear that they've been sat unused in a cupboard for rather a long time :roll: They have a very musty smell, so much so it's managed to stink out my room in the space of ten minutes :shock:

Obviously they just need a good airing but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to get rid of the smell quicker, that will eradicate it not just cover it up.

Cheers in advance :)

Maria

Stick them in the freezer

missyburd
11-03-08, 03:37 PM
wow that was quick, thanks guys!

My freezer really isn't big enough for boots lol, that boot sanitizer might be worth a try though. Where would I get it from?

plowsie
11-03-08, 03:39 PM
You can just use febreeze spray, or go into a HG and see if they have boot sanitiser, they have a lot of stuff in there, they should have something.

Grinch
11-03-08, 03:42 PM
Yep Hein Gericke, or I would expect you local cobblers should have something.

missyburd
11-03-08, 03:45 PM
a trip to the cobblers it is then, town not big enough to have a Hein Gericke! Was in there just yesterday getting a pair of boots resoled, poor bloke's gonna think I'm stalking him :rolleyes:

Grinch
11-03-08, 03:58 PM
Take them with you, then he'll know why you there... He might even have something in the shop that he uses that would work better then the off the shelf stuff.

missyburd
11-03-08, 04:00 PM
Take them with you, then he'll know why you there... He might even have something in the shop that he uses that would work better then the off the shelf stuff.
will do :thumright:

Grinch
11-03-08, 04:05 PM
Yep I imagine they get alot of stinky foot wear there, so he's either used to it, or has a trick to get rid of the smell.

missyburd
11-03-08, 04:24 PM
:smt078

I never thought of cobbling like that but tis a good point, what a job :shock:

Grinch
12-03-08, 09:23 AM
So did you get it sorted?

missyburd
12-03-08, 09:29 AM
i'm in uni all day so will be have to be tomorrow. Have work to do this morning :rolleyes:

I shall report back :salut: :)

SoulKiss
12-03-08, 10:40 AM
Tip from my Sister

Bicarb of Soda

Berlin
12-03-08, 10:44 AM
DON'T use Febreze, the smell (of the Febreze) will never go away (from experience!)

The fix is the same one as we use for Fishing waders in the summer.

Sprinkle some Bicarbonate of soda (not baking soda, that's different) into the boot and wear them. The smell will disappear straight away.

It works by killing the bactieria that casue the smell. they can only live in an acidic environment. Bicarb is slightly alkalai so they die, along with the smell.

It also adsorps the smell (in comparison to adsorbs,which is a physical thing, adsorps is a chemical thing).

If you have atheletes foot it'll clear that up for you too :)

Try it on your smelly trainers too.

Cheers, Carl

missyburd
12-03-08, 12:24 PM
yeah, I've used bicarb of soda before on smelly shoes but i didn't think the 'been sat around in a cupboard for aaaages' smell was caused by bacteria? Apparently they've only been worn a couple of times :smt102

missyburd
13-03-08, 04:09 PM
Right well I went to see him and have now got some stuff that i can spray in them, so hopefully it will work, fingers crossed!