PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to adjust the clutch lever?

shonadoll
16-03-08, 05:20 PM
On the sv? Mines a K7 pointy, and has adjusters on the brake but not on the clutch. It's ok for the first half hour or so, but my hand is getting really sore on longer rides, and it becomes really difficult to let the clutch out smoothly.

I do have quite small ladyhands, but why did they give an adjuster on the brake and not the clutch?

Any ideas?

mattb200
16-03-08, 05:24 PM
I know what you mean, i used to get really aching hand especially as I don't ride through the week to "train" the muscles.

Anyway you will be be amazed at the difference simply adjusting the angle of the lever can make! I angled mine so that my arm/wrist is straight as opposed to my standard setup where they were'nt.
I was tempted to get one of the pazzo adjustable levers but at ?70 pound a time this is much cheaper (and works for me).

hope this helps
Matt

Sid Squid
16-03-08, 05:30 PM
Slacken the cable adjustment a bit, as long as the clutch still lifts sufficiently in order to disconnect the drive it will be fine. An adjustable lever does the same thing, it puts the lever closer to the 'bar: the less the lever moves the less the cable is pulled, as long as it's enough it's OK.

Dangerous Dave
16-03-08, 06:07 PM
There is a Kawaski lever that will fit the SV's clutch lever mounting that comes with an adjuster like the Brake has, can't remember which one but someone on here has done it.

Lozzo
16-03-08, 06:08 PM
An adjustable GPZ500 one can be made to fit - there's something linked from the front page that tells how to do it.

shonadoll
16-03-08, 06:52 PM
Ok, will have a look, thankyou. I'm looking at the pazzo ones- are they adjustable or just a smaller reach?

Dangerous Dave
16-03-08, 06:56 PM
I know some of the clutch levers you get from them are adjustable;
http://www.motonekoparts.com/files/detailed/d_922.gif

St0rmer66
16-03-08, 11:20 PM
Got a Kawasaki GPZ500 one fitted to mine. My old bike was a GPZ so it just happened to be right next to it! Straight swap over apart from having to short the switch which used to make the clutch lever have to be pulled in before starting. The lever on the GPZ was black, so I got a ZX6R clutch mechanism and used the silver lever from that on my SV (the other clutch mech. went onto the GPZ to replace the one I took off).

Any Kawasaki bike from around 98-02 will be exactly the same clutch mechanism so don't feel it has to be a GPZ one. As a small list, ZX6R, ZX9R, ER-5 and GPZ500 will all fit perfectly and I'm sure there will be others. Just try get a silver lever if possible is my advice :) . I paid around ?15+P&P from eBay. Pazzo levers like pictured above are closer to ?100 if I remember correctly..

After my first long ride on the SV my wrists ached for about 2 weeks! (and twinges for around a month). Wasn't used to it at all. My hands are actually very big, but pulling the clutch in became PAINFUL after around 150-ish miles. I have the new mechanism adjusted to 5 (as close to the bar as possible) and it's now sooo much easier. Means I can ride in comfort.

shonadoll
07-04-08, 07:30 PM
Just an update in case this helps anyone else- I ordered and fitted a set of Pazzo levers, and what a difference. OH fitted them and said it was a piece of cake, and took 15 minutes. I've been out on the bike and it's fabulous the difference, worth every penny, and no more sore hands!

shonadoll
12-04-08, 07:37 PM
Here's a picture of them fitted in case it helps anyone.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/shonadoll/pazzo008.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/shonadoll/pazzo001.jpg

Rich
12-04-08, 07:54 PM
Looking good, a mod to add to my long list!!! :-)