PDA

View Full Version : ZXR400 Track Bike

600+
17-03-08, 11:21 AM
Might have a chance on buying a ZXR400 for ?500.

Needs new downpipes and end can and there is slight noise from the engine that can be sorted cheaply ( i know the problem).

Question is - any ideas what racing I can get involved with?

Thanks

Blue_SV650S
17-03-08, 11:44 AM
Might have a chance on buying a ZXR400 for ?500.

Needs new downpipes and end can and there is slight noise from the engine that can be sorted cheaply ( i know the problem).

Question is - any ideas what racing I can get involved with?

Thanks

So you want to race it not just 'track' it right?

Is this a road bike or a ready built track bike? .. if it is a road bike, it'll cost you more than it is worth* to get it to track/race spec.

I'd advise against using it as a trackday bike, but if you want to race it, then pretty much any/every club has a 400 grid, if not their own grid, one they can run in.

*you could buy a ready-made package for less.

metalmonkey
17-03-08, 11:47 AM
http://www.motoforum.net/index.php?showtopic=24778

Something like that maybe? Look on motoforum there are always race bikes coming up for sale.

600+
17-03-08, 11:48 AM
erm - well I would like to track it and if possible race it

could u point me to the direction of those ready made packages? if they are cheaper i might as well track one of those

sv650k4
17-03-08, 11:53 AM
it depens how well you want 2 prepair it.you could just stick a set of race body work on it for around ?150 and you will beable 2 race or do trackdays on it then or on the other hand you could spend loads and fully race prepair it which then you would be better just buying a full race bike.

is the bike an H model or an L model?

metalmonkey
17-03-08, 11:54 AM
www.motofourm.net (http://www.motofourm.net) look in there under race bikes for sale.....

But as the engine are tuned they are likely to go bang and will need rebuilding, refresh ect though I have never had a 400. I'm sure someone here will beable to give you more info.

Also post on motofourm its for club racing, so people in that class could give you advice. Be ready to spend everything you go as well.

600+
17-03-08, 11:57 AM
it depens how well you want 2 prepair it.you could just stick a set of race body work on it for around ?150 and you will beable 2 race or do trackdays on it then or on the other hand you could spend loads and fully race prepair it which then you would be better just buying a full race bike.

is the bike an H model or an L model?

OK from looking at the 400L that is being sold at motoforum I don't think I would spend that much on it.

I was looking at spending ?500 to buy it, then another ?150 for the exhaust plus race fairing. I would like to track it and if poss race it just for the experience.

It's an L model

Blue_SV650S
17-03-08, 11:58 AM
could u point me to the direction of those ready made packages? if they are cheaper i might as well track one of those

You got a computer do it yaseln :D

Point is, unless you source all the required race kit 2nd hand at good prices too (unlikely), to get a 'road' bike up to a competitive 400cc race bike spec using new parts and paying a tuner will cost you more than buying one that is already done ?

As for track bike, bearing in mind everything else out there is 600+cc why would you trackday a 400? Or are you a masochist like me that went for an SV trackbike!?!? :D

Blue_SV650S
17-03-08, 12:01 PM
OK from looking at the 400L that is being sold at motoforum I don't think I would spend that much on it.

I was looking at spending ?500 to buy it, then another ?150 for the exhaust plus race fairing. I would like to track it and if poss race it just for the experience.

It's an L model

If you notice, that bike never sold ... not even for ?1500 on ebay, let alone ~?2.3k he original wanted! ;)

If you just want a cheap trackday bike then ?650 and you are out there, then why not 8) If you wanted to race it .. I don't think it is the most cost efective way of doign it!! ;)

sv650k4
17-03-08, 12:04 PM

It's an L model

if its only really experience your looking on the racing side then around the 300 quid mark would have it ready for racing.

but if you want 2 start doing engine tuneing,rear sets,rear shock,front forks and so on etc...you will be better just buying a race prepaired bike.

600+
17-03-08, 12:09 PM
You got a computer do it yaseln :D

Point is, unless you source all the required race kit 2nd hand at good prices too (unlikely), to get a 'road' bike up to a competitive 400cc race bike spec using new parts and paying a tuner will cost you more than buying one that is already done ?

As for track bike, bearing in mind everything else out there is 600+cc why would you trackday a 400? Or are you a masochist like me that went for an SV trackbike!?!? :D

The only reason why I am looking at this ZXR400 is because I know the owner and the bike.

If you notice, that bike never sold ... not even for ?1500 on ebay, let alone ~?2.3k he original wanted! ;)

If you just want a cheap trackday bike then ?650 and you are out there, then why not 8) If you wanted to race it .. I don't think it is the most cost efective way of doign it!! ;)

yeap I think that is the idea behind this. I wouldn't want to race prep a bike that has cost me only to find that it's not for me.

if its only really experience your looking on the racing side then around the 300 quid mark would have it ready for racing.

but if you want 2 start doing engine tuneing,rear sets,rear shock,front forks and so on etc...you will be better just buying a race prepaired bike.

yeap agree! not interested in doing any of those at the moment. just a track day bike that could get into a race as well

sv650k4
17-03-08, 12:35 PM
yeap agree! not interested in doing any of those at the moment. just a track day bike that could get into a race as well[/quote]

if thats all your looking then that bike would be fine basically just fix it up and get it running then put a toe guard on and do some lock wireing and if you wanted put a set of race fairings on and it will be able 2 entre a race.;)

Blue_SV650S
17-03-08, 12:37 PM
if thats all your looking then that bike would be fine basically just fix it up and get it running then put a toe guard on and do some lock wireing and if you wanted put a set of race fairings on and it will be able 2 entre a race.;)

Thinking about it, is it NG that do a 'streetstock' series? :scratch:

A virtually road spec bike might be competative in that :scratch:

600+
17-03-08, 12:46 PM
yeap agree! not interested in doing any of those at the moment. just a track day bike that could get into a race as well

if thats all your looking then that bike would be fine basically just fix it up and get it running then put a toe guard on and do some lock wireing and if you wanted put a set of race fairings on and it will be able 2 entre a race.;)[/quote]

great many thnx for the info ;) now lets see if I can convince him to sell it sooner than later ;)

sv650k4
17-03-08, 12:51 PM
[great many thnx for the info ;) now lets see if I can convince him to sell it sooner than later ;)[/quote]

no problem.keep the thread up-dated if/when you get it.;)

sv650k4
17-03-08, 11:19 PM
this here may be of some interest 2 you:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-ZXR-400R-ex-Track-Bike-Taxed-and-MOTd_W0QQitemZ260221363010QQihZ016QQcategoryZ9807Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

squirrel_hunter
17-03-08, 11:55 PM
Take a little look over to 400 Grey Bike (http://www.400greybike.co.uk/). Plenty of info on 400 racing and the ZXR. Its a much smaller site than this and is undergoing a bit of a shake up at the mo, but it might be of some help.

600+
19-03-08, 06:25 PM
cheers I'll register and have a look ;)

flymo
20-03-08, 09:57 AM
Being in Manchester you arent too far away from me. You could race it in any of the North West clubs. I race in the Wirral 100 club and they have both a formula 400 class and a forgotten era class, the latter being for bikes up to 1989. I think yours might be newer than that so you would be limited to the formula 400. I raced a Yam FZR400 for about 5 years with them.

You dont need to do too much to it to get it in a race, but beware, once bitten by the bug you will spend MUCH more.

Why not come along to Oulton on the 12th and say hello, we can talk it over.

600+
20-03-08, 03:31 PM
hi flymo

on call on the 12th but i have made a note of it and see if i can turn up. i know it can be a bug but better on track than on the road :)