PDA

View Full Version : Bikesafe

Speedy Claire
01-04-08, 04:28 PM
After a couple of scary moments at the weekend I realised i`ve a lot to learn where my riding is concerned so I`ve booked myself onto a Bikesafe course with Merseyside police in a couple of weeks time. Tho it`s Merseyside (well, the Wirral) we ride into North Wales so will hopefully get some experience on the nice roads there.

Am hoping I`m gonna emerge a far safer and more experienced rider, am really looking forward to it

:smt026

I imagine i`m gonna have to stick the baffle back in my exhaust and change my number plate back to the original one. Will it be a problem that my exhaust is an Akrapovic????

Baph
01-04-08, 04:50 PM
Though I've not done Bikesafe, generally, things like that are overlooked.

The reasoning behind it is that they want riders to attend, so if they start clamping down on issues, they'll scare people off.

By all accounts, they do look at the bike to ensure that it's safe for the road, things like tyres etc. So long as the numberplate is readable (and yours is), I wouldn't worry too much about that. As for the baffle, probably safer to stick it in for the time you're on bikesafe. Shouldn't matter about the aftermarket exhaust, so long as it's road legal with the baffle in, there's nothing they can do anyway.

Speedy Claire
01-04-08, 07:19 PM
Thanks Baph... i won`t worry bout the exhaust or number plate then, is a good point that if they make it that strict people won`t bother, never thought of that!!!

Lissa
01-04-08, 07:27 PM
We did a full Bikesafe weekend with Warwickshire police. We did change our stubby for our baffle-less Akrapovic, but to be honest I don't think we needed to have bothered. There was no mention about cans, dark visors, plates, nothing.

If you have as good a time as we did, Claire, you'll love it:D

Baph
01-04-08, 07:27 PM
Double check with someone else before you take my word as gospel though :)

I know Luckypants has done bikesafe based at Colwyn Bay, so he's likely to have more accurate info than I.

Get the bikesafe done, then you can have even more fun on NW4 :)

Speedy Claire
01-04-08, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys... I`m so looking forward to it. So far if they don`t get anymore people taking part it`ll be one to one tuition for the 2 days whilst out riding. My confidence was returning at the weekend but the couple of mistakes I made has thrown me a bit. Do this course and then roll on the next rideout lol

Luckypants
01-04-08, 08:45 PM
I did Bikesafe last year like Baph says. On my SV with my open Rene's and a plate the same as yours. The only comment I got was on how well the bike sounded.

Good move on going down the further training route - we can all learn new stuff.

Lissa
01-04-08, 08:48 PM
Good move on going down the further training route - we can all learn new stuff.

+1.

It's a shame more people don't at least make the effort to improve their abilities, and who better to help you than the professionals!;)

Quiff Wichard
02-04-08, 12:42 AM
whats the cost if u dont mind e askin

and your riding was top!.

but its always good to learn more.

think i might go if i put them square tyres on again- i need it

Speedy Claire
02-04-08, 06:41 AM
Thanks Quiff but i know there`s a lot of room for improvement and my confidence still not 100%. The cost was £80 for the 2 days..... I didn`t actually think the cost was too bad

http://www.merseyside.police.uk/html/support/roads/bikesafe/index.htm

Luckypants
02-04-08, 09:16 AM
The North Wales ones are free to locals. N. Wales one is £80 to 'foreigners' :cool:

jamessunhill
02-04-08, 09:19 AM
Would you say it's worth me doing one?
It's something I've been thinking about for a while.

Luckypants
02-04-08, 09:22 AM
Yes - it's something worthwhile for everyone.

petevtwin650
02-04-08, 09:39 AM
Yes - it's something worthwhile for everyone.

+1

timwilky
02-04-08, 09:43 AM
Strange ain't it that some plod (Mine particularly) won't implement this "national" initiative

DoubleD
02-04-08, 09:45 AM
£80 for 2 days.... that sounds like a bargain, hmmmmmm might have a look at doing something like this myself as well. I too could do with a few pointers on my cornering skills (or lack of them)

DoubleD
02-04-08, 10:46 AM
hmmmm, only get this for my area so will have another look round at other areas

Lancashire Constabulary Bikesafe initiative has been postponed until further notice.

stewie
02-04-08, 03:01 PM
I think I will have to have a look at this myself, never too old to learn I suppose. Well done Claire

Baph
02-04-08, 03:37 PM
Free bikesafe? Didn't know that.

Just dropped Paul Cheshire an email to enquire about dates. :) Thanks for that little nugget Mike. ;)

stewie
02-04-08, 03:50 PM
The North Wales ones are free to locals. N. Wales one is ?80 to 'foreigners' :cool:

Free to locals ? thats handy see, cos I really live Llanbillynomatesduffbeer , just have a holiday home in Warrington ;)

dizzyblonde
02-04-08, 03:50 PM
oooooo do you think they would let a dizzyblonde play.....have to have a looksi at whats on offer round here!

edit....only Bikesafe in west Yorkshire is motorcycle first aid courses

stewie
02-04-08, 03:53 PM
Maybe we should do a day all together

Baph
02-04-08, 04:06 PM
Maybe we should do a day all together

Places are limited though. :( I'm after doing the Bikesafe with FBoS course, but it'll have to fit around my shifts.

Speedy Claire
02-04-08, 04:27 PM
There`s some spaces left on my course Stew 19/20 April.... is in Bromborough but is the Merseyside course

skeetly
02-04-08, 05:02 PM
Free in north wales you say?
Think they let noobs on them?

Baph
02-04-08, 05:14 PM
Free in north wales you say?
Think they let noobs on them?

From the website (google > North Wales Police Bikesafe ... 1st result), they aim the course at inexperienced riders, and those that don't know Roadcraft.

Personally, I'd rather do the one with FBoS (First Bike on Scene) as I'm pretty comfortable on the bike, and I'd like to brush up on both riding & First Aid knowledge.

orose
02-04-08, 05:52 PM
edit....only Bikesafe in west Yorkshire is motorcycle first aid courses

South Yorks have dates available roughly monthly, if I recall - they're based just off the M1 at Barnsley, if thats handy for you.

Luckypants
02-04-08, 09:01 PM
Personally, I'd rather do the one with FBoS (First Bike on Scene) as I'm pretty comfortable on the bike, and I'd like to brush up on both riding & First Aid knowledge.

I emailed Paul Cheshire about the one on 19/20th April - will let you know the outcome.

skeetly
02-04-08, 09:45 PM
Yes yes Baph. I can google and also consider meself told off for being lazy :)

Baph
02-04-08, 09:52 PM
I emailed Paul Cheshire about the one on 19/20th April - will let you know the outcome.

Cheers Mike, I've emailed him too asking for a list of dates he expects the course to run on. Couldn't see any calendar/schedule on the website. EDIT: I've just seen them on the site now. :oops:

Yes yes Baph. I can google and also consider meself told off for being lazy :)

Sorry dude, it wasn't meant to come across that way. I was actually being too lazy to go get the URL after I'd closed the window. ;)

Luckypants
02-04-08, 09:55 PM
Cheers Mike, I've emailed him too asking for a list of dates he expects the course to run on. Couldn't see any calendar/schedule on the website. EDIT: I've just seen them on the site now. :oops:

just beat me to it http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/wales/northwales/Northwales.html

skeetly
03-04-08, 06:34 PM
Joking Baph :)
No offence taken :)

El Saxo
03-04-08, 06:39 PM
Shame that neither GMP or Lancs police run the Bikesafe scheme, I guess I'll have to book with the Merseyside one as that's closest.

Bluepete
03-04-08, 07:21 PM
Would you say it's worth me doing one?
It's something I've been thinking about for a while.

Yep, teaches about forward obs! ;)

markryker
03-04-08, 09:17 PM
just beat me to it http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/wales/northwales/Northwales.html

Nice one Mike, just contacted Paul myself. Cheers.

jamessunhill
03-04-08, 10:20 PM
Yep, teaches about forward obs! ;)

Alright. Point Taken!:roll:

I haven't found that "moment" on the videos yet.

Lissa
03-04-08, 10:21 PM
Alright. Point Taken!:roll:

I haven't found that "moment" on the videos yet.

Titter:D

glsuk1970
04-04-08, 01:35 PM
The North Wales ones are free to locals. N. Wales one is £80 to 'foreigners' :cool:
Awesome! Been meaning to get some additional training and now that it's free there's absolutely no excuse.

Thanks for the tip off! :D

plowsie
04-04-08, 01:41 PM
Mike is that the bloke you know up at the Ponderosa that your on about?

Luckypants
04-04-08, 01:50 PM
Mike is that the bloke you know up at the Ponderosa that your on about?

If you mean the big smiley fella that was manning the BikeSafe caravan, then yes! (I know a fair few folks that go up to the Ponderosa mate :rolleyes:)

plowsie
04-04-08, 02:14 PM
Yeah you know what I meant, the bloke on the fire bike!

mac608
04-04-08, 05:47 PM
http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/events/Cheshire.htm

Cheshire still do one.

El Saxo
04-04-08, 07:14 PM
http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/events/Cheshire.htm

Cheshire still do one.

Thanks Mac, I've submitted my contact info :D

stewie
04-04-08, 07:38 PM

Me too

Shellywoozle
04-04-08, 07:46 PM
If anyone wants to do Bikesafe in Staffs let me know. It's free and I am mates with the guys who do it.

I am going to go out with him on me tod for him to give me some helpful tips, it's good to have useful mates :p

PM me if anyone wants and I will find the dates and the venues they work from on those dates.

Shell xx

DoubleD
05-04-08, 12:32 AM

Me too

Me Three

mac608
05-04-08, 06:17 PM
I did a bikesafe with Cheshire and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The best part was the ride. You were encouraged to make progress, so as you are overtaking cars with a fully liveried police bike in close proximity you could just see the drivers thinking "he's going to get knicked". And of course I did make a mistake that the required the blues & twos, pulled over, got the bollocking ( I touched a solid white line) car drivers look at the pair of us on the side of the road, thinking, ha !biker got his just deserts. So just what they thought when I overtake them again still with the police bike on my tail god knows.

That wasn't the only thing I got stopped for. There were several.

I think the one thing that has stayed with me is on an overtake, I never overtake when there is a vehicle coming the other way, ie the bike is the meat in a car sandwich. The bike cops who did my course were VERY discouraging of this, even went as far to say they would pull a bike doing this type of manoeuvre. The reason why they don't like it is that no escape route if either car does something.

Baph
09-04-08, 08:24 AM
I just had an email from Paul Cheshire about the NW Bikesafe courses.

They're getting pretty booked up (being free for NW residents and all), so if anyone is thinking of doing it, I suggest you get in touch with Paul & book quickly!!

The next available BikeSafe with FBoS isn't for another 3 months!!

Luckypants
09-04-08, 08:52 AM
I just had an email from Paul Cheshire about the NW Bikesafe courses.

They're getting pretty booked up (being free for NW residents and all), so if anyone is thinking of doing it, I suggest you get in touch with Paul & book quickly!!!

ditto, my email showed first FBoS course (First bike on Scene) first aid course available is in August.:(

BikeSafe is well worthwhile IMHO and a good laugh to boot. I learned a lot on the one I did.

jamessunhill
09-04-08, 12:24 PM
Birthday prezzie from my dad is now sorted.

He's getting me the IAM Skills For Life course.
Once I suggested it, there was no way he could back out of that one.\\:D/

DoubleD
09-04-08, 12:32 PM
I have not heard anything for Cheshire Bikesafe or Shell :smt085

stewie
09-04-08, 12:42 PM
Not heard nothing from Cheshire, where you considering the staffs bikesafe Dave ? I may do that one as well, shift pattern permitting, I could tag along.

DoubleD
09-04-08, 12:54 PM
I have consider it yes but waiting for Shell to get back to me....

Shell, you got them dates, I did send you a PM.

Baph
10-04-08, 11:56 AM
Not heard nothing from Cheshire, where you considering the staffs bikesafe Dave ? I may do that one as well, shift pattern permitting, I could tag along.

Not really TBH Stewie, but whoever is offereing it for free, then fine :)

I don't even mind doing the same course multiple times. :lol:

Nah, seriously, if NW Police are offering it free, I'll happily do that & wait if I have to. Wouldn't want Shell pushing her luck with mates just to get me a freebie. That'll leave more folks outside NW that can possibly get a free BikeSafe course.

Speedy Claire
19-04-08, 08:09 AM
Have had to cancel my course this weekend... Minor surgery on my gum mid week has left me with half a face resembling a rugbyball thanks to an infection provided free of charge by our wonderful NHS. Can`t be separated from my painkillers for too long either!

Next date is May which means i`d have to miss out on NW3.5 but Junes date I`m on my hols and July`s date I`m in Edinburgh....... really wanted to do this course before going to Europe.

Am totally pee`d off

*Speedy slopes off to find some toys to throw out of pram, kicking the cats as she goes*

Baph
19-04-08, 09:05 AM
Am totally pee`d off

Understandably due to the infection. :(

However, take the BikeSafe on the NW3.5 dates, I'll be missing NW3.5 too. Then you can come back to NW later (I'll pop out for a ride and I'm sure LP would too) and put BikeSafe into practice a little more :)

And you can show me some of what you've learnt, so as to prepare me for my BikeSafe in August. :(

DoubleD
19-04-08, 09:47 AM
I have not had anything back from anyone about doing bikesafe. Thats not fair!

Baph
19-04-08, 09:57 AM
I have not had anything back from anyone about doing bikesafe. Thats not fair!

I can forward the application form if you like :) But I can't gurantee that the dates are accurate in terms of availability.

I'm doing NW BikeSafe on 9/10 August. :)

DoubleD
19-04-08, 10:57 AM
yes please Baph, do you need my address or can it be e-mailed

Baph
19-04-08, 11:01 AM
yes please Baph, do you need my address or can it be e-mailed
Email sent.

Speedy Claire
19-04-08, 12:14 PM
Understandably due to the infection. :(

However, take the BikeSafe on the NW3.5 dates, I'll be missing NW3.5 too. Then you can come back to NW later (I'll pop out for a ride and I'm sure LP would too) and put BikeSafe into practice a little more :)

And you can show me some of what you've learnt, so as to prepare me for my BikeSafe in August. :(

Yep I`ll ring them Monday and tell them to put me down for the May course. Was so looking forward to seeing if my riding had improved come NW3.5 but will definitely arrange a rideout with you both following the course.

Is probs a good thing that I cancelled today, I can hardly stay awake cos I feel so rough, my concentration would have been zero.