PDA

View Full Version : WSBK - Valencia 6th April '08 (Spoiler Alert)

sinbad
05-04-08, 08:07 PM
Neukirchner sneaks pole ahead of Yukio on the other Suzuki. What about Yukio's lap though? Talk about on the raggedy edge, great to watch.

tricky
07-04-08, 11:14 AM
Kyonari's Superpole lap looked pretty hairy too.

Felt so sorry for Neukirchner, not only to have his win scuppered on the last corner, but a broken collarbone too :(

Flamin_Squirrel
07-04-08, 11:17 AM
He was one of my fantasy road race riders. Damn Checca, he should have been hauled up in front of the martials for that.

sinbad
07-04-08, 11:59 AM
Yep, it was a win or bust move and not really on, although he seemed genuinely sorry. Good races though, nice to see nitro back at the front but Bayliss is 08 champ for sure I reckon.

tricky
07-04-08, 12:49 PM
Good ride from Kyo in race 2 and another good ride/podium for Jonesy in SS600

Pedrosa
07-04-08, 12:51 PM
The only reason Checa's last turn move appears now to be wreckless/dangerous blah blah...is simply because unfortunately it did not come off. Checa is not an aggresive rider,but more smooth and calculating. He had nipped underneath several other riders as he clawed his way up though the field in similar fashion.

Checa had every right to go for that move,(not too dissimilar from Rossi Vs.Gibernau Jerez last corner 2006?) The only reason it did not come off was that his tyres were well past their best at that point and it is an off camber turn. Hence the front wheel turned in.Hard to blame a rider when that happens to him? It is racing after all not a ride out.

Terribly dissappointing for the young German rider and equally so for the Spaniard. I simply put it down to an honest racing incident.

timwilky
07-04-08, 12:54 PM
Checca was reckless. Injured a fellow rider, somebody should be having a word.

However, should questions not be asked about either the track or tyres with all those leaving the track on their arses.

Edit just seen your opinion above
Pedrosa, He had seen numerous crashes due to tyres giving up, he knew by the way he was catching up that his tyres were not going to last, and to go for **** or bust with a manoeuvre he was unable to complete was in my opinion reckless

Pedrosa
07-04-08, 12:59 PM
Tim I hear what you are saying but IF that move had come off and no one fell or sadly was injured...we would all be waxing lyrical about Checa today. You cant judge the incident in hindsight based on the fact that regrettably the German was injured.

Or just maybe I have a very odd view of such things.:rolleyes:

timwilky
07-04-08, 01:01 PM

No you is just trying very hard to be Spanish

Flamin_Squirrel
07-04-08, 01:04 PM
The only reason Checa's last turn move appears now to be wreckless/dangerous blah blah...is simply because unfortunately it did not come off. Checa is not an aggresive rider,but more smooth and calculating. He had nipped underneath several other riders as he clawed his way up though the field in similar fashion.

Checa had every right to go for that move,(not too dissimilar from Rossi Vs.Gibernau Jerez last corner 2006?) The only reason it did not come off was that his tyres were well past their best at that point and it is an off camber turn. Hence the front wheel turned in.Hard to blame a rider when that happens to him? It is racing after all not a ride out.

Terribly dissappointing for the young German rider and equally so for the Spaniard. I simply put it down to an honest racing incident.

Disagree. Checca broke so late he crashed of his own accord in front of Max, taking Max with him. He'd never have made the corner - rubbish.

Pedrosa
07-04-08, 01:05 PM
Opinions on occasion do differ. I am still content with my own view,just as the rather rude FS is.:p

sinbad
07-04-08, 01:11 PM
Tim I hear what you are saying but IF that move had come off and no one fell or sadly was injured...we would all be waxing lyrical about Checa today. You cant judge the incident in hindsight based on the fact that regrettably the German was injured.

No, you don't, it's racing and we have to applaud people that are prepared to "go for it", it's what makes it so entertaining.

In this case, though, Checa misjudged the move. Whether his error was attempting it in the first place, or simply misjudging the grip available to his front tyre it was his mistake entirely, therefore whether anyone else was injured doesn't really matter, if Checa did that sort of thing repeatedly he would get a real talking to.
The fact that it's an isolated incident doesn't make this crash any less reckless/careless and I think he realised his error and is remorseful.

tricky
07-04-08, 01:17 PM
Just a bit too eager to win his first WSB / Home race, it was a bit of a lunge from a long way back.

All credit too him though for an awesome ride to come through the pack and catch Max. Perhaps on another day he might of been a bit more mindful of the state of his tyres and settled for the 2nd rather than the DNF

Flamin_Squirrel
07-04-08, 01:22 PM
Thing is Pedro, it wasn't a small missjudgement. Braking where he did Checca wouldn't have made the corner, hence he crashed. He didn't turn tighter to avoid max - he was past him. He turned tighter just to stay on the track - which if he'd managed he'd have gone so wide and been so far off line he'd have had to open the throttle so late he'd have been beaten to the line and lost anyway. All in all, a stupid pointless manuver.

Flamin_Squirrel
07-04-08, 01:27 PM
Just a bit too eager to win his first WSB / Home race, it was a bit of a lunge from a long way back.

All credit too him though for an awesome ride to come through the pack and catch Max. Perhaps on another day he might of been a bit more mindful of the state of his tyres and settled for the 2nd rather than the DNF

He didn't DNF, he still got 5th.

Pedrosa
07-04-08, 01:43 PM
I fully accept the counter arguments presented. Sound reasoning indeed, I am though,(possibly it's the wild streak in me?)still unwilling to condemn Carlos. Regretable as it is that Max was hurt and did not participate further.

Flamin_Squirrel
07-04-08, 01:46 PM
I fully accept the counter arguments presented. Sound reasoning indeed, I am though,(possibly it's the wild streak in me?)still unwilling to condemn Carlos. Regretable as it is that Max was hurt and did not participate further.

Fair enough. Hard to do if you've spent the last half hour cheering them on:jocolor:

tricky
07-04-08, 01:50 PM
He didn't DNF, he still got 5th.

You knew what I meant ! :p :D

Tomcat
07-04-08, 02:21 PM
Well I enjoyed Checca's grit..... shame it went t*ts up, but thats racing spirit, he went for it, and I would expect nothing less from a pro racer :D

sinbad
07-04-08, 02:32 PM
Well I enjoyed Checca's grit..... shame it went t*ts up, but thats racing spirit, he went for it, and I would expect nothing less from a pro racer :D

Hmm, I think it was not the move of a good professional rider, despite Checa being just that. If anything it was a moment of madness. In the grand scheme of things a second place was a great result.

Tomcat
07-04-08, 02:34 PM
Hmm, I think it was not the move of a good professional rider, despite Checa being just that. If anything it was a moment of madness. In the grand scheme of things a second place was a great result.

last corner, he HAD to try ?

sinbad
07-04-08, 02:55 PM
last corner, he HAD to try ?

Did he? Even if it was a 50:50 move at best?
Would he try it again in the same situation?

Trying doesn't mean risking everything anyway. Nobody could say he hadn't tried, the way he kept reeling him in after picking his way past everyone else in the early stages. I think the red-mist descended when he realised he might have a chance.

Pedrosa
08-04-08, 11:36 AM
ADMISSION:

After just watching repeated replays in slow mo of the last corner incident,I now withdraw my defence of Carlos Checa. He did go in way too hot and was never going to get the bike turned in enough.

Flamin_Squirrel
08-04-08, 03:49 PM
ADMISSION:

After just watching repeated replays in slow mo of the last corner incident,I now withdraw my defence of Carlos Checa. He did go in way too hot and was never going to get the bike turned in enough.

:thumbsup:

Just hope max is fit enough for the next race. Any idea what length of time racers (rather than us mear mortals) need before they're back on form after a break like that?