PDA

View Full Version : Convenience on a budget

SV PILOT
22-04-08, 08:16 PM
Hey all. I need some advice. I do everyday riding to commute to work. My work is only 2-3 miles from my house but I find it an absolute pain to get my full kit on i.e. boots, jacket, trousers etc. Is their casual looking clothing that is protective that can be worn before and after journeys opposed to changing all of the time? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Dustin

wtdafk
22-04-08, 08:20 PM
Hello,

I have just ordered a pair of Draggin jeans combats, you can even unzip them and turn them in to shorts. Not sure how much protection they will offer in a smash though and thats why i went for the option to get added hip and knee armor. Lets hope i never have to test them and if i do the kevlar holds up!

injury_ian
22-04-08, 08:23 PM
I hear your greif, but most accidents happen within 2-3miles of home.

So if you were to ever need protective clothing.....

(textiles are a good in-between)

SV PILOT
22-04-08, 08:31 PM
Thing is, I'm all for safety but what a hassle with changing and storing gear at work! Are Kevlar jeans any good? Price? Any other options? Cheers

rob13
22-04-08, 08:32 PM
I just bought oversized textiles to fit over my work trousers and put the jacket over my shirt. No big deal really.

wtdafk
22-04-08, 08:51 PM
I know the feeling, theres not much room for my legs under my desk at work as it is and thats just with boots and textile trousers.Paid about 100 for the jeans with armor. They are a great fit and felt good in the shop but i gotta wait untill saturday (birthday) untill i get them. i have read and heard a few reports that they can withstand a slide pretty well so lets just hope i dont hit anything!! I shall still keep saving for my leather ones tho

Wayluya
22-04-08, 09:01 PM
Ok, I may get "shot" for saying this.......

......I have not been commuting since I got the SV last month, but the plan is to do the same as on the Scooter over the last 6/7 years and for a similar length of commute as you.

I will wear me suit or normal clothes - and a "Normal" jacket over, unless really raining and then I wear my Sailing Jacket. Cheapo waterproof trousers under the seat.

My only change from the Scooter will be on the shoes - not sure what I will get....something easy to put on / take off - and mildly waterproof.

I know that doom awaits me :smt026, but I figure........so far so good......plus any accident is very likely to be slow speed (albeit no guarantee of no harm, as it is never the speed that hurts. It's the stopping :smt005).

MiniMatt
24-04-08, 09:50 AM
Meh, Wayluya's big enough and ugly enough to make his own mind up, I'd advise against it, but hell you know the risks and you take your pick.

Got the Hood jeans - http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=88828

To be honest I wouldn't say these are all day office comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than full power ranger leathers obviously. They would be possibly liveable in (in the office) if you removed the hip and knee armour, suppose you could do that once you arrive.

They've taken two crashes since I wrote that, one a 30mph graceful slide down the road and one, um, stationary "crash" :D In the second "crash" I landed full force on my hip though, very big bruise but I guess could have been nastier without the hip armour. Stitching held up fine in the slide and they're perfectly servicable still.

Wayluya
24-04-08, 10:25 AM
Meh, Wayluya's big enough and ugly enough to make his own mind up,

Ugly? me? How dare you sir!

:farao:

MiniMatt
24-04-08, 02:08 PM
Ugly? me? How dare you sir!

:farao:

Teehee - I'll play with you because I think I've got a feeling for how you think :D

There's a difference between ignorance of the consequences and acceptance of the consequences, I'll play all high and mighty with those I suspect might be ignorant (ignorant is probably too strong a word) of the consequences, but those who've been around the block a few times and know the risks, hell it's their choice and I'll defend your right to wear whatsoever the hell you want. Just leave the thong at home next time you're in the Cotswolds eh? :D

I would say at a minimum (helmet is a given) always wear decent gloves - gravel rash on your legs is going to disturb no-one but your missus (so she tells me :D ), but grinding away all the flesh on your hands is going to be visible to *everyone*.

Meh, I'll stop being all grown up and sensible right now. Space Pirates is on Cbeebies, gotta go :D

Wayluya
24-04-08, 02:29 PM
Teehee - I'll play with you because I think I've got a feeling for how you think :D

Yeah, no worries :cool: But the word "think" may be overstating the case sometimes :(:)

svrob
08-05-08, 12:01 PM
I've been wrestling with the same issue for ages. Currently I wear my 2 piece leathers and boots for the commute and change when I get to work but it is a right royal pain. The other problem is that as the weather gets warmer the leathers get clamy and by the time I get to work and get changed I feel like I need another shower! Also my shirt always looks like I've slept in it as the tight jacket really creases it up. Ideally I want a pair of jeans I can wear all day but with proper impact and abrasive protection and a jacket with the same properties that isn't like a second skin

If anyone knows of something that fits the bill, please let me know. What do the rest of you do?

gettin2dizzy
08-05-08, 03:50 PM
I've been wrestling with the same issue for ages. Currently I wear my 2 piece leathers and boots for the commute and change when I get to work but it is a right royal pain. The other problem is that as the weather gets warmer the leathers get clamy and by the time I get to work and get changed I feel like I need another shower! Also my shirt always looks like I've slept in it as the tight jacket really creases it up. Ideally I want a pair of jeans I can wear all day but with proper impact and abrasive protection and a jacket with the same properties that isn't like a second skin

If anyone knows of something that fits the bill, please let me know. What do the rest of you do?
Wear some draggin jeans. Just whip the velcro Knox knee pads out when you arrive. Job done. (I whack my shirt in a bag instead. It tends to get less creased even when stuffed in to a bag)

_Stretchie_
08-05-08, 03:55 PM
Teehee - I'll play with you because I think I've got a feeling for you :D

Something you want to tell us mate??

:smile:

Stu
08-05-08, 04:06 PM
I try wearing jeans & no back protector to try and slow myself down when I just go into Guildford. :smt102 It doesn't work :cry:
Good luck Waylula staying at scooter speeds on an SV

ranathari
09-05-08, 03:17 PM
If it's only two or three miles, why bother riding in? The hassle of gearing up before you leave and getting it all off when you arrive isn't worth it over such a short distance.

Tim in Belgium
10-05-08, 11:40 AM
Might as well cycle.

xXBADGERXx
11-05-08, 01:35 AM
Alpinestars "Ridge" boots , 2 velcoe flaps and they are off , I wear them to work , fully waterproof and I slip into trainers within seconds , job done .

Steve_God
12-05-08, 12:15 PM
I have:

- Helmet
- Gloves
- Jacket
- Very protective Trainers (with work shoes in my rucksack)
- And some armoured knee pads that I wear over my trousers.

Can be fully kitted up and out the front door in less than 2 minutes!

Ruffy
12-05-08, 12:26 PM
Might as well cycle.
+1

Or walk. Never mind the health thing, just think of all that fuel money saved!