PDA

View Full Version : Test tomorrow!

Rhiwbina_Squirrel
11-05-08, 07:48 PM
Got my practical test at half 2 tomorrow.

I spent today on the bike with an instructor and another student and I'm pretty confident. The instructor told me I should be fine for the test but two things are niggling at me. They're:

1. U-turns
2. The 125s couldn't pull the guts out of a rice pudding. I'm struggling to get to 45 on some of the roads that have a 60mph speed limit!

Apparently on the roads where national speed limit applies I'll only need to get to 45 just to prove I've acknowledged the change in speed limit but it's tricky getting there.

I can do U-turns but I put my foot down on 1 of the 10 or so I did earlier and I'm a bit nervous about doing it during the test. I'm using target fixation to get round, by the way.

Any advice to help me pass? Thanks in advance

Alex

yorkie_chris
11-05-08, 07:49 PM
Any advice to help me pass? Thanks in advance

Alex

Yeah, just relax.

the_lone_wolf
11-05-08, 07:53 PM
it's too late to do anything about things now, so just relax and try to enjoy yourself:)

Stig
11-05-08, 07:54 PM
Yeah, just relax.

Ditto. Just try to think of it as another lesson. Good luck for tomorrow.

Rich
11-05-08, 07:56 PM
I know what you mean about the 125's i did my test on one.. you'll be fine as long as you do your best and concentrate. Just wait it'll all be worth it!!

Tim in Belgium
11-05-08, 07:57 PM
Good luck.

tanis34
11-05-08, 08:06 PM
just try to forget its a test i had a problem with u turns as well ,on the lesson before the test i couldnt do the u turn at all then did it on the test , i just thought bugger it and went for it, good luck to u

shiver85
11-05-08, 08:06 PM
had the same problem when i did my test the other week

if your putting your foot down on the U turn just before you get all the way round its might be that your pulling in the clutch and slowing down. just ease the clutch back out and drive through it.

the test is easy just relax and ride one tip dont be too close to a car like i was thats why ive got my test again this friday

Binky
11-05-08, 08:16 PM
if your putting your foot down on the U turn just before you get all the way round its might be that your pulling in the clutch and slowing down. just ease the clutch back out and drive through it.

I know exactly what you mean, if you start to go to slowly on your U turn then the bike will start to tip in, just have faith and keep the momentum, but obviuosly try not to shoot forward and look out of control. Be smooth.

Good luck.:cool:

Ed
11-05-08, 08:23 PM
My top tip is - be sure to cancel the indies.

Hope all goes well:D - you'll have nice weather anyway.

missyburd
11-05-08, 08:34 PM
Good luck!!!

Shellywoozle
11-05-08, 09:19 PM
Good Luck dude you'll be fine ........... relax, smile and enjoy !

ArtyLady
11-05-08, 09:39 PM
Good luck! :D

hovis
11-05-08, 10:56 PM
good luck

:kiss:

jimmy-james
12-05-08, 01:45 AM
I passed DAS on an Kwak ER5 and with the U-turns i was tought to look where you are going set the throttle high slip the clutch and use the rear brake to keep control and it works a treat. On about 200 Uturns i have only put a foot down twice.

Ignore everything i have just said cos youv'e been tought already and just relax. Nerves are the biggest cause of failure treat it like your instructor is behind not an examiner usually the instructors are the most critical anyway!

MOST OF ALL GOOD LUCK!!!

Airfix
12-05-08, 04:38 AM
Relax and enjoy the ride, also biggest failure is not canceling indicators make sure you do, good luck. ;)

Mogs
12-05-08, 06:14 AM
Good Luck - dont overthink your riding, just do it. I was told to adjust my mirrors so that they were slightly out forcing me the move my head to get the view. The examiner cant miss your rear obs. this way.

melody
12-05-08, 06:59 AM
Hope you'll bring back some good news.

Good luck.

Speedy Claire
12-05-08, 07:03 AM
Very best of luck, fingers crossed for you

Ollie_07
12-05-08, 07:05 AM
Good luck matey!! :)

Rhiwbina_Squirrel
12-05-08, 07:11 AM
Thanks for all the good luck vibes for today!! I'm just getting kitted up now. I'll let you all know how I get on when I'm back :)

Alex

jumjum_0214
12-05-08, 07:21 AM
Good luck :-)

mister c
12-05-08, 07:29 AM
Take your time, chill out & relax. You will be fine.
As for the U-Turn, if you are using target fixation, all well & good, think positive & you will do it.
Good Luck :)

Alpinestarhero
12-05-08, 08:38 AM
You wo't be reading this yet, since I expect you'll be out having some last minute training. So when you reply, I hope its one along the lines of:

"woooooo!!!! i passed!!!!!! woooooo!!!!"

the 125 i trained on was capable of 60 mph, laying down on the tank, flat out.

Chances are, the instructor wont take you on a fast road.

Anywho, good luck.

Matt

Drew Carey
12-05-08, 09:14 AM
You wo't be reading this yet, since I expect you'll be out having some last minute training. So when you reply, I hope its one along the lines of:

Anywho, good luck.

Matt

+1 - Let us know when you have passed buddy.

muffles
12-05-08, 09:20 AM

Anywho, good luck.

Matt

When's your restriction over? It's in the next few months I thought, except you've removed it from your sig ;)

Well Oiled
12-05-08, 11:51 AM
Good Luck. If it's owt like mine the instructors take you somewhere where the U-turn is a bit tighter than the examiner typically chooses to get you up to the point where you have a margin for error, so hopefully it will be an easier one today.

Cheers Keith

G
12-05-08, 12:29 PM
Good Luck. If it's owt like mine the instructors take you somewhere where the U-turn is a bit tighter than the examiner typically chooses to get you up to the point where you have a margin for error, so hopefully it will be an easier one today.

Cheers Keith

On my test the instructor took me around all the local examiners hot spots knowing that I would have practiced the U turns where they are done on tests.

Its to late for me to wish good luck now as you wont see it.

So hope you come back with good news

Rhiwbina_Squirrel
12-05-08, 05:02 PM
Well, bad news, I failed and I'm absolutely gutted, to be honest:(!

My U-turn was perfect but he said my emergency stop wasn't quick enough :???: (but that was only a minor) and the reason I failed was because I was speeding. I asked him to explain and he said his speedo read 32mph and I was accelerating from him and was doing something closer to 40. I was looking at my speedo at the time and I was doing 32...Tops!! So, I'm very annoyed with that:smt013:smt013. Then, he went on to explain that I should've been going faster on the faster roads but the bike just wasn't capable. GRRRR:smt097!!

My instructor said that he was being very very harsh. He'd failed the girl before me for pulling out infront of a car that she argues simply wasn't there. So, my instructor's 2nd and 3rd ever fail was on the same day with the same examiner. What a bummer?! It's not like any of us could do anything about it either :(

Got my test re-booked for the 27th and hopefully I won't have the same guy([-o<) but if I do I'll just have to live with it.

That's my rant over...for now. Just hope my mate and I can pass next time!

Alex

missyburd
12-05-08, 05:05 PM
Aww what rotten luck! :( He sounds really strict :smt108 I hope they're not all like that!

At least you've managed to get another booking in fairly quick though, get a bit more practice in if anything :)

timwilky
12-05-08, 05:40 PM
At least it isn't like when I was a kid. There was a 6 month wait for tests.

Best of luck next time

gettin2dizzy
12-05-08, 05:45 PM
I drove perfectly on my first test, and failed. On my second I couldn't have got more wrong ; pulling out without indicating etc yet I passed with barely a minor. Luck can play such a huge part.
Good luck next time though :thumbsup:

Gene genie
12-05-08, 05:50 PM
the fact that your still a little concerned shows that your not over confident which would be a bad thing. try to relax, follow the examiners instructions, and then apply what you've already learned. keep a level head and if you do make a mistake carry on as you would normaly do and don't lose your nerve, stay in control.
the very, very best of luck (cos that does have a part to play) and let us know how you got on.

Gene genie
12-05-08, 05:59 PM
i've just seen your piccy. i'm not bloody surprised the 125 can only reach 45mph your quite a big chap. just let me check my previous post to make sure i haven't offended you, no i don't think so.:(
dont worry about your test nobody in their right mind are gonna fail you.:D:D:D

Stig
12-05-08, 06:28 PM
Gutted for you. Better luck next time.

shiver85
12-05-08, 06:34 PM
Well, bad news, I failed and I'm absolutely gutted, to be honest:(!

My U-turn was perfect but he said my emergency stop wasn't quick enough :???: (but that was only a minor) and the reason I failed was because I was speeding. I asked him to explain and he said his speedo read 32mph and I was accelerating from him and was doing something closer to 40. I was looking at my speedo at the time and I was doing 32...Tops!! So, I'm very annoyed with that:smt013:smt013. Then, he went on to explain that I should've been going faster on the faster roads but the bike just wasn't capable. GRRRR:smt097!!

My instructor said that he was being very very harsh. He'd failed the girl before me for pulling out infront of a car that she argues simply wasn't there. So, my instructor's 2nd and 3rd ever fail was on the same day with the same examiner. What a bummer?! It's not like any of us could do anything about it either :(

Got my test re-booked for the 27th and hopefully I won't have the same guy([-o<) but if I do I'll just have to live with it.

That's my rant over...for now. Just hope my mate and I can pass next time!

Alex

that sucks man i know how you felt i thought stuff this cant be botherd then handed over £145 for the retest and thought well looks like ill be doing it again lol

my instructor was harsh on me its just the luck of the draw fingers crossed i pass this friday as ive got the bike and all my new gear

Ed
12-05-08, 06:56 PM
Aw RS that's tough. It will make passing all the sweeter, believe me. I failed *cough* a number of times (foot down in yewwie responsible) and now all the pain seems like ancient history, but I still remember the feeling when I passed:D

tanis34
12-05-08, 06:57 PM
tough luck m8 betterluck next time sounds like he was a tough bugger but i didn't pass:( first time either

Binky
12-05-08, 07:12 PM
I was speaking to some people today about passing first time etc. Was just wondering what you guys think. Are people who take a couple of times to pass better drivers/riders because of them learning more from mistakes etc and having more test experience or are 1st time passers generally slightly better????

hovis
12-05-08, 07:15 PM
thats a bit of a gutter.............

good luck with the next one though

muffles
12-05-08, 07:46 PM
Keep at it, I failed twice before passing! It's a gutting feeling and it seems like the next test is an age away, but you'll look back and wonder why you worried...

Speedy Claire
12-05-08, 08:06 PM
Gutted for you hun... very best of luck next time, i`m sure you`ll do fine. You won`t beat my record of 5 attempts!!!

Attempt 1........ dropped the bike on uturn leading up to the test and wimped out, my nerves just got the better of me.

Attempt 2........ Got knocked off the bike by a learner driver as I was pulling into the test centre

Attempt 3....... Got cancelled 5 mins into test due to heavy rain

Attempt 4....... Bike wouldn`t start

Attempt 5........ Put foot down on uturn and was told to do it again, didn`t put foot down but whilst performing the uturn rode up a ramp, along a little bit of pavement and down the next ramp and passed, examiner said "well you didn`t put your foot down" !!!!

Rhiwbina_Squirrel
12-05-08, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Feeling a little better now and I'm texting the girl who did her test before me :) So, I'm pretty good actually.

That's pretty impressive Speedy Claire!! Sounds like you had a really cool examiner too :P

Good luck this Friday patrick860k. Let us all know how you get on.

Alex

Binky
12-05-08, 08:24 PM

Alex

Huh, i'm confused. Good luck for what??? :confused:

shiver85
12-05-08, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Feeling a little better now and I'm texting the girl who did her test before me :) So, I'm pretty good actually.

That's pretty impressive Speedy Claire!! Sounds like you had a really cool examiner too :P

Alex

its me with the test on friday lol

Rhiwbina_Squirrel
12-05-08, 08:36 PM
Ahhh.. It's been a long day...

Alex

yorkie_chris
12-05-08, 08:54 PM
He'd failed the girl before me for pulling out infront of a car that she argues simply wasn't there. So, my instructor's 2nd and 3rd ever fail was on the same day with the same examiner. What a bummer?! It's not like any of us could do anything about it either :(

What a bellend.

I was speaking to some people today about passing first time etc. Was just wondering what you guys think. Are people who take a couple of times to pass better drivers/riders because of them learning more from mistakes etc and having more test experience or are 1st time passers generally slightly better????

The US military did a study about this, they found out that people who take slightly longer to pick things up do them just as well as people who pick up how to do a task quickly.

metalmonkey
13-05-08, 01:01 AM

Alex

Dude thats rotten luck, I would have posted earlier but couldn't get online then was out.....

I didn't pass past first time either in fact I'm paying for my DAS later ths month its been on one on my credit cards for months so I need to all £660 of it now gulp:smt100 Well worth it though.

I failed because I was so dam nervous, me you wouldn't think so but I was s*** scared, but passed with one minor in the end. The DSA guy sounds like a ****, my 125 would do about 50ish so know that feeling. I once made it go nearly 70 with the wind behind me, downhill heading for a red traffic I [-o< it would stop before I ran out of road.

It doesn't sound like from what your saying that you did much wrong, you can appeal against the **** if you want too. But you the next test you do you will ace. Good luck with it, and you will get there. I drank a bottle of wine in the evening I failed my test. I spent the best part of the next day at work feeling like I was gonna puke into a filing cabeint, it was a very long day.

mister c
13-05-08, 06:59 AM
I took a bloke for his test a few months back, when he got back he had failed for speeding as well. The examiner actually told him that he had a warrant card & could prosecute him for his speeding. He did it 3 times in 45 minutes the pillock :clown:
He passed next time though, so good luck to you on the 27th :)

Mogs
13-05-08, 07:56 AM
Tough luck. It seems the examiner was having an anti-bike day, your instructor may be able to find out if any bikers passed yesterday. From your description there is not much you can take away to rectify for you next bash at it. If your unfortunate to get the same guy again, I would attempt (without it looking too staged) to get in the pre-test conversation that the bike is underpowered for your weight. You now know for certain what the test is like so will be more relaxed next time.

metalmonkey
13-05-08, 08:51 AM
I took a bloke for his test a few months back, when he got back he had failed for speeding as well. The examiner actually told him that he had a warrant card & could prosecute him for his speeding. He did it 3 times in 45 minutes the pillock :clown:
He passed next time though, so good luck to you on the 27th :)

That was guy was talking s*** sounds like a nob casue he couldn't have done that, no evidence you see.