PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheels

fizzwheel
08-06-08, 04:33 PM
Just so we have some idea of numbers, can you vote accordingly if you are planing on bringing a car with you.

Thanks

dirtydog
08-06-08, 04:44 PM
Yep 'fraid so

diamond
08-06-08, 05:24 PM
Me thinks there may be quite a few yes votes on this one, which might be a bit of an issue as there's not much parking on site.

I'll be i on my mountain bike, if thats any help.

dizzyblonde
08-06-08, 08:16 PM
2 bikes one tent, voted no...but in a manner of speaking....4 wheels ;-)

Stig
08-06-08, 08:34 PM
Yes and it's rather larger than a car. Will there then not be enough room in the field to park?

fizzwheel
08-06-08, 08:39 PM
Yes and it's rather larger than a car. Will there then not be enough room in the field to park?

There should be enough space for bikes by tents, but I'm not 100% sure you'll get a big vehicle into the field as I can't remember how big the access space is.

There is parking out the front of the pub and also space behind the pub for parking as well. Its not an unlimited space though.

I just want to make sure there is going to be room for eveybody thats planning on bringing a car or something else, and I dont really want to compromise the amount of space available for bikes either.

I'm going to nip out there one night this week and just make sure of how much space is available.

At this point I cant guarantee there will be space for cars especially if loads of people in cars turn up. I'm just trying to get an idea of how many cars or bigger we'll need to find a space for just so I know the size of the problem that needs solving or if indeed their is a problem as I'm starting to worry about it now.

dizzyblonde
08-06-08, 08:47 PM
Fair play to those that are bringing the kids in their car:-), and those who can't ride because of wonky limbdom;-), but if peeps are planning car for a 'can't be bothered with bike' thing, perhaps a little effort is in order.....after all its only once a year we all gather, and we are gathering in larger and larger numbers. To show effort some of us are going with very wonky limbs on a bike...but then again some of us don't have a car either:-(

no offense intended at all, just a dizzy logic:-)

Drew Carey
08-06-08, 08:52 PM
Lily is going in her car soley cause we can't get all our gear on the bike whilst two up. Also, we are bringing gear for others too.

dizzyblonde
08-06-08, 09:02 PM
forgot about the nice people taking others gear:oops:, I could be really mean and get Im Indoors to take all our gear on his bike...hehe.
We used to take the lot when I didn't ride..its a squeeze but possible.

Drew Carey
08-06-08, 09:06 PM
1 tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 roll mats and other bits and bobs. I just wouldn't feel safe with that amount of stuff.

Drew Carey
08-06-08, 09:07 PM
+ - By not going on the bike it means I get to enjoy the Sunday ride on my tod whilst Lily potters off home. Woo Hoo.

Sorry fizz. Derailing.

dizzyblonde
08-06-08, 09:15 PM
1 tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 roll mats and other bits and bobs. I just wouldn't feel safe with that amount of stuff.

we will be taking, 1 tent, 1 inflatable mattress, 2 inflatable pillows, double sleeping bag, weekends worth of clothes and bits n bobs( in panniers
+ tailpack) .
Like I said we've got that lot 2 up before now, but Matts been going to rallies for yrs, so has lots of bike camping experience.
I am slowly catching up, but like you, I have a limit to how much i feel safe with. Makes ya feel a bit wobbly if your not used to it. Which is why we spread the load now, and doubt his hip can take that much weight now anyway, if i was to sit on the back with it all.

the only thing I won't be taking...apart from the kitchen sink is a pair of hair straightners....lol;)

oops bit of a derail there

Frank
08-06-08, 09:47 PM
Lily is going in her car soley cause we can't get all our gear on the bike whilst two up. Also, we are bringing gear for others too.
Mrs Gid and I

rigor
08-06-08, 09:56 PM
If we're coming (Not 100% yet), then Sam will be in the car, as Lupo moves around too much to be pillion, and Mina's feet don't reach the footpegs yet.

tee jey
08-06-08, 11:15 PM
Car and bike trailer.

Lissa
09-06-08, 05:52 AM
If we're coming (Not 100% yet), then Sam will be in the car, as Lupo moves around too much to be pillion, and Mina's feet don't reach the footpegs yet.

PMSL:D:D:D:D

Tara
09-06-08, 06:00 AM
i was gonna take the car but i'm going with Kitkat now so thats one down now and Law has very kindly offered to do the food run with Jamaxx

redbouy
09-06-08, 06:18 AM
sorry but its going to have to be a car.

Viney
09-06-08, 07:53 AM

Eh? Thats not a lot of stuff. I will dig out a photo of my mates XJR with (If i remember)

2 camping chairs
tent
DUVET
Pillows
Clothes
Airbeds
and a unicycle
2 up to Wales. Wide load he was.

I have seen a few bikes that carry the tent straped to the mirrors on the front of the bike!!!

Jester666
09-06-08, 08:20 AM
Easy to get lots on a bike!! :lol: Including an Abba stand!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/jesterSV650S/SV%20Transformation/2008_02040001.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/jesterSV650S/SV%20Transformation/2008_02040003.jpg

Drew Carey
09-06-08, 08:47 AM
You lot are nuts. I just wouldn't feel safe doing nearly 340 miles (170ish each way) two up with all our gear. lol. Would even have Gid overtaking me if I did that!!!!! lol :D

dizzyblonde
09-06-08, 11:28 AM
tis not that bad, and Lily is a good passenger..lol.

Viney
09-06-08, 12:45 PM
You lot are nuts. I just wouldn't feel safe doing nearly 340 miles (170ish each way) two up with all our gear. lol. Would even have Gid overtaking me if I did that!!!!! lol :D
Fair enough, but its all about the packing.

How much stuff do you need anyway?
Tent
Sleeping bags
Rolls mats
1 change of clothes
a couple of undegarments
Deodrant

Job done. Fit that in a rucksack you could.

Warthog
09-06-08, 01:21 PM
Haha nice one Jester! My mate has been all over Europe for the last 6 years, this is his GPZ900 complete with generator on the back haha. He now has welded some ammo boxes to a custom frame, it does a very good job:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/deathUK2003/bikeload.jpg

Here are the ammo cans, makes stacking stuff on top much easier too:
http://www.phillipjackson.co.uk/trips/hotrodrally08/photos/pict0014.jpg

fizzwheel
09-06-08, 01:24 PM
I'm going over to the Pub on Sunday evening with Viper, we'll double check what the situation is regarding car / minibus parking and report back.

It'd be handy if everybody who is planning on bringing a car has indicated so by Sunday so that we can make sure we know numbers to that everybody can be accomodated hopefully...

Frank
09-06-08, 08:36 PM
git,My bike has more power dont forget.
Be carefull ,When you are at the AR I may sneak up to yours and kidnap the Lizard

yorkie_chris
10-06-08, 10:42 AM
Easy to get lots on a bike!! :lol: Including an Abba stand!

Spot the courier lol.

MissYC and myself won't be taking a car. With enough bungies, anything is possible hehe

Ed
10-06-08, 10:54 AM
Mrs Ed is acting as sherpa, bringing stuff in the car for me John and Daryl, but she ain't stopping - will leave as soon as unloaded.

hovis
10-06-08, 10:56 AM
git,My bike has more power dont forget.
Be carefull ,When you are at the AR I may sneak up to yours and kidnap the Lizard

thats not vey nice.......... calling lily a lizard

fizzwheel
10-06-08, 10:57 AM
Just as a reminder, if you're bringing a car as you have to much stuff or you cant fit stuff on your bike, you dont need to bring a tent or a rollmat as Liz can provide sleeping space and or a rollmat, see here

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=111808

Just need to tell her you'll be wanting to use it.

phil24_7
10-06-08, 05:29 PM
Yup, 1 car 1 bike. Not enough room for all our stuff and 2 up and any other luggage from Devon and Cornwall!

Stig
11-06-08, 01:28 PM
Yup, 1 car 1 bike. Not enough room for all our stuff and 2 up and any other luggage from Devon and Cornwall!

I've been touring in Ireland for a week two up with enough stuff on the bike for the duration. Last but one AR, two up with two tents and all the rest of the gear from Newbury to Shrewsbury and back.

Just how much stuff do you really think you need? It's only three days max.

Samnooshka
11-06-08, 01:54 PM
I'll be taking the car too.

BILLY
11-06-08, 02:47 PM
Here'smine loaded up for last years AR! 2 up as well!
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/tracy_5/CB1/Image000.jpg

phil24_7
11-06-08, 04:55 PM
I've been touring in Ireland for a week two up with enough stuff on the bike for the duration. Last but one AR, two up with two tents and all the rest of the gear from Newbury to Shrewsbury and back.

Just how much stuff do you really think you need? It's only three days max.

Congratulations, I bow down to you and your pillions superior ability to pile yourselves, and your bike, high and heavy with gear, and be comfortable with that for a long journey! I now feel worthless and useless as a motorcyclist, nay, human being for not having this ability in me!:rolleyes:

Kate's nervous on a bike to start with so wouldn't be comfortable carrying a bag, she needs a lot of stuff, I always like to be over prepared rather than under prepared (always travel with a small tool kit, small first aid kit flask of squash and flask of tea) and there's a possibility that I'll be bringing luggage for other people from this area.

I don't necessarily need to park the car on site, just somewhere safe and within a mile or so, just need to drop all my stuff off on site then go park the car.

phil24_7
11-06-08, 04:58 PM
Ooh, I also don't have panniers or anything that you could make into some, so I'd be limited to tank bag, small rucksack and whatever I could SAFELY fit on the small bit by the grab rail, for 2 people's stuff!

Drew Carey
11-06-08, 07:10 PM
You said what I was trying to think of to say. lol.

I know there are a few cars going, but I for one do not feel safe being stacked up that way.

If there is an issue of space, then like Phil, we will happily leave the car elsewhere but within close distance.

Stig
11-06-08, 08:21 PM
Congratulations, I bow down to you and your pillions superior ability to pile yourselves, and your bike, high and heavy with gear, and be comfortable with that for a long journey! I now feel worthless and useless as a motorcyclist, nay, human being for not having this ability in me!:rolleyes:

No need to be pedantic and juvenile about it.

Just for the record though. My wife carried nothing. The highest thing was the tent on the carrier on the back. Which also served as a nice comfortable back rest for her. I could go on regarding what is a need and what is a want, but don't want to upset you further for fear of another knee jerk retort.

phil24_7
11-06-08, 09:23 PM
Not upset at all BA, was using sarcasm (hence the smiley). Just thought this thread was about getting an idea of who's bringing what transport, not a way of telling me that you can do A, B or C and ask how much stuff am I planning of bringing.

If I was on my own, I'd stack it however I was comfortable, but as I am not I have to consider Kate's comfort and safety (and how safe she feels), therefore a car is being taken.

If everything were to go perfectly, I would only need my bike and some money, however life isn't perfect so I shall bring some stuff too!

dizzyblonde
11-06-08, 09:36 PM
I'm still going on 4 wheels...just in 2 pairs:riding::smt080

fizzwheel
15-06-08, 07:04 PM
Update as promised.

The field is bigger than I remember it being. Theres access available to the field on two or four wheels. The Gateway is a bit narrow but you should be able to get a minibus into it.

If you dont wanna park in the field then theres room round the back of the pub should you wise to use it.

If you wanna use your car during the weekend for a beer run etc then its probably best to put it in the space at the back of the pub, if you put it in the field its probably going to get blocked in by tents and bikes etc so you probably wont be able to get it out again till Sunday once the majority have left.

So we're good to go on this score.

Cheers

phil24_7
16-06-08, 04:24 PM
Woo hoo, everyone's a winner. Cheers fizz

Regards

Stu
16-06-08, 04:40 PM

I'll be taking the car too.
And 2 votes.
Does that mean 2 cars :-k

phil24_7
16-06-08, 05:48 PM
Seems like some of the couples on here need to communicate more!!! :-D

Lissa
16-06-08, 06:21 PM
Seems like some of the couples on here need to communicate more!!! :-D

Hang on.................I have to LIVE with Pete, I'm not talking to him as well:p

phil24_7
16-06-08, 07:48 PM
Ha ha, excellent come back Lisa, I almost pee'd!!!

kitkat
17-06-08, 04:52 PM
bags me a space behind the pub for the supermarket run on saturday. unless im not required and ill park nearer the tent as we will have the dog. he will sleep in car at night. it is a wee car and wont take up much room - oh wait im not taking my car, ok car I am taking is slightly bigger but not big.

Tara
18-06-08, 05:44 AM
bags me a space behind the pub for the supermarket run on saturday. unless im not required and ill park nearer the tent as we will have the dog. he will sleep in car at night. it is a wee car and wont take up much room - oh wait im not taking my car, ok car I am taking is slightly bigger but not big.

you will need to do the supermarket run hun as i am coming with you

Kate Moss
03-07-08, 08:39 AM
Sorry Phil, i know its all my shoes taking up all the space!

BernardBikerchick
08-07-08, 12:58 PM
oh dear i voted for this now by mistake !!! duuhhhh

yorkie_chris
08-07-08, 03:04 PM
Doesn't matter really now though... no harm done lol

phil24_7
08-07-08, 05:12 PM
oh dear i voted for this now by mistake !!! duuhhhh

Pillock!