PDA

View Full Version : Bike trailer - hire

Ed
12-06-08, 11:20 PM
Just a brainstorm thing really. I investigated hiring a trailer to get my bike to Rockingham - but I couldn't find anyone local who hired 'em. I don't really want to buy one (as they're pricey and I wouldn't use it that much) unless I could get some money back on it. So I was wondering about - if I bought one, could I hire it out. T&Cs aren't a problem, neither is liability insurance.

Do peeps reckon that there's a market for hiring em out? Or is the fact that there wasn't anything local indicative of no demand?

stewie
13-06-08, 10:42 AM
You could do your own transporting buisness, friend of mine used to offer his sevices on Ebay, you know man and van stuff, was doing ok till his van blew up #-o

Mogs
13-06-08, 01:50 PM
Have you seen this - linked via Indespension (http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/jsp/home.jsp).

http://www.tow-it.eu/

At £16 a day there can't be a lot of money in it for the small business.

wheelnut
13-06-08, 02:34 PM
I have used Indespension in the past, I did a trackday at Silverstone and once when I went to Rockingham. As you said in your CSS thread, you need to be there for 7am. It was a lot easier to pack the bike and all my kit the day before, wake up and drive to Corby. If you bin it, you can still get home without having to listen to Gloom while he tapes your bike together:D

I think it cost me about £100 all in with straps which are mine to keep.

The one I hired was all singing with hydraulic lift and extra security devices.

I reckon it is cheaper to hire one when required.

Demonz
13-06-08, 09:28 PM
I think its a good idea Ed. I looked into hiring one but my local hire company only had the standard trailers, no ramps ect. I would say there would be a market for it but in need of the right marketing to work.

Set up a network of trailers under a decent brand. Website with locations of people with motorcycle trailers to hire. ?30 p/day max though I think.

600+
14-06-08, 04:15 PM
there is a guy on ebay that hires trailers as well

600+
16-06-08, 07:46 AM
Just an update as I was shopping around for trailer hire prices.

Indespension mentioned above prices are £25 per weekday and £40 per weekend and £100 per week. They also want a £200 deposit just incase you never come back with the trailer.

At these prices for the person doing the odd trackday I think it's well worth it. You'd need to go to 10 trackdays to justify the cost of a new bike trailer :)

Ed
16-06-08, 01:14 PM
Just an update as I was shopping around for trailer hire prices.

Indespension mentioned above prices are £25 per weekday and £40 per weekend and £100 per week. They also want a £200 deposit just incase you never come back with the trailer.

At these prices for the person doing the odd trackday I think it's well worth it. You'd need to go to 10 trackdays to justify the cost of a new bike trailer :)

Yep have been doing some homework. Went into the Honda Centre here in S'bury and Mike - the owner - doesn't know anyone who can hire a trailer. Plus they have a classifieds board up, and no trailer hire on it. I reckon there's be a few MX type takers too. On the other hand, I wouldn't want it sat in my garage doing nothing for months and the phone not ringing. Decisions...:confused:

Demonz
16-06-08, 03:12 PM
I think if you are into MX you would sort something out more permanent as you will be using it more often than your avg track day enthusiast.

the_lone_wolf
16-06-08, 04:08 PM
Yep have been doing some homework. Went into the Honda Centre here in S'bury and Mike - the owner - doesn't know anyone who can hire a trailer. Plus they have a classifieds board up, and no trailer hire on it. I reckon there's be a few MX type takers too. On the other hand, I wouldn't want it sat in my garage doing nothing for months and the phone not ringing. Decisions...:confused:
ed, as someone who just bought a racebike i'd say you will probably find that most motocross or supermoto race / trackday guys will either have their own trailer/van or know someone with one that they use to travel together. i bought my own as i realised that once i'd been to a few trackdays or weekends away it would have paid for itself, plus once i take the bike channels off and bung some diamond plate on i have a flat trailer for doing anything

you'd probably get more business from people who've bought bikes at the other end of the country and need a one off to transport them. but then you have to compete with van rentals. given the choice of a covered locked van or an exposed 60mph limited trailer i'd take the van every time, the only reason i have a trailer is because i can't afford to run a van and a car...

nomad
16-06-08, 11:54 PM
I think its a good idea Ed. I looked into hiring one but my local hire company only had the standard trailers, no ramps ect. I would say there would be a market for it but in need of the right marketing to work.

Set up a network of trailers under a decent brand. Website with locations of people with motorcycle trailers to hire. ?30 p/day max though I think.

I think the above would be an excellent idea, I have a trailer that is only very rarely used, I would be happy to hire it out and I'm sure there would be others who would feel the same, a network could be set up through this and possibly other forums.

GSXR Carlos
17-06-08, 11:59 AM
buy a trailer off eBay you tight sod :lol

i bought mine for £50 and then ply lined it for £30.

Storage is aways the problem though

paiste
21-09-08, 09:55 PM
I hired a bike trailer from www.barwelltrailerhire.co.uk (http://www.barwelltrailerhire.co.uk) to collect my bike from wakefield, cost me £20 including ramp and 4 tie down ratchet straps. Really nice bloke. really flexible with collection and return times. He just told me to ring him whenever I got home as long as it was befor 2am and he'd come and meet me at his lock up!