PDA

View Full Version : Removing the rear wheel

gilby104
06-07-08, 02:45 PM
have just gone to the bike to find i have a puncture. want to remove the rear wheel myself. have jacked it up from the rear suspension linkage which is underneath the bike. im really looking for an absolute idiots guide to taking the rear wheel off and putting it back on. do you have to take the rear brakes off? which bolts need taking off, just loosening, stuff to remember, getting the chain off etc. would really appreciate the help. its a 2003 pointy 650.

tanis34
06-07-08, 03:11 PM
http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm

Red Herring
07-07-08, 06:21 AM
Not sure I'd want to be taking the rear wheel out with the bike balanced on a jack under the linkage, especially for the first time when there is going to be a certain amount of pushing and shoving going on.
If you are going to get into this sort of activity it might be worth investing in a paddock stand, makes lubing the chain etc a great deal easier as well (circa ?30 - ?40)
If it is only a puncture can you inflate the tyre and see if it is only a slow one? If so you would then be able to ride to where ever is going to fix the puncture and they will probably have not just the paddock stand but the expertise to show you how to use it, and take the wheel out.

Dave20046
25-09-08, 06:52 PM
Quick question - in the manual it says use a special seal remover to remove a seal in the wheel, is there an alternative?

Saint Matt
25-09-08, 07:10 PM
You can use a screwdriver, be careful not to scratch the inside of the wheel where the seal sits.

Dave20046
25-09-08, 07:17 PM
You can use a screwdriver, be careful not to scratch the inside of the wheel where the seal sits.
cheers- off to the garage now

Davido
25-09-08, 07:18 PM
May be worth loosening off the wheel nuts before balancing the bike. That way you minimise the chances of it making an unplanned trip across the garage.

Dave20046
25-09-08, 07:40 PM
May be worth loosening off the wheel nuts before balancing the bike. That way you minimise the chances of it making an unplanned trip across the garage.
I'll put it back down now! cheers, just nipped back in for some allan keys

scottjames
25-09-08, 08:09 PM
buy your self a haynes manual. ive found it a great help to to have in case. few on ebay.

for 30 40 quid you can get front and rear padok stands they are a great help. having both will also mean you can save a few quid when changing tyres as you can take just the wheels in. most places will do it while you wait then.

scott

Dave20046
25-09-08, 08:31 PM
Just got it out thanks for your tip davido - taking it to the shop now.

Dave20046
25-09-08, 09:17 PM
buy your self a haynes manual. ive found it a great help to to have in case. few on ebay.

for 30 40 quid you can get front and rear padok stands they are a great help. having both will also mean you can save a few quid when changing tyres as you can take just the wheels in. most places will do it while you wait then.

scott
Cheers scott - I've got a paddock stand a mate gave me one yesterday. Practically brand new aswell they're brilliant I pooing it lowering it back off thinking I'd drop the bike but nice and controlled it went down fine.

Dave20046
25-09-08, 09:22 PM
Just realised i didn;t need to anyway I was skimming through the manual to see if I could get it done tonight - read the wrong bit! ('dismantling wheel')
Just taking it for a new rear tyre.
By the way I've gone with dunlops (didn't catch the model name) as the bloke in the shop recommended them at £150 (that's inc. my discount I think) whereas avon storms which I'd been recommended elsewhere were £170 and he'd have to order them in. Reckon they'll be okay?

Davido
26-09-08, 06:56 AM
No Worries.

now that the wheel's off, it would be a good time to lube/adjust your chain when you re-fit. :)

Viney
26-09-08, 07:10 AM
No Worries.

now that the wheel's off, it would be a good time to lube/adjust your chain when you re-fit. :)
You should be doing that weekly anyway, or at least checking adjustment, and loobing weekly(if you use the bike during the week that is!)

And £150, was that for 1 tyre!!!!

Dave20046
26-09-08, 07:12 PM
You should be doing that weekly anyway, or at least checking adjustment, and loobing weekly(if you use the bike during the week that is!)

And £150, was that for 1 tyre!!!!
It was two dunlop stormmax's or something :oops:
Grr I'm struggling adjustong my chain now just chucked my paddock stand across the garage and had to come up here for a breather.
**** knows what I'm doing wrong but one side won't move nomatter how mcuh I unscrew the adjuster all that happens is that stupid plate at the back of the swing arm gets wobbly and loose. grrrr

Dave20046
26-09-08, 07:23 PM
Ohh apparently you're not supposed to use a paddock stand. How the hell does the wheel move back and forwards with it on the ground then? :S

ejohnh
26-09-08, 07:27 PM
It was two dunlop stormmax's or something :oops:
Grr I'm struggling adjustong my chain now just chucked my paddock stand across the garage and had to come up here for a breather.
**** know what I'm doing wrong but one side won't move nomatter how mcuh I unscrew the adjuster all that happens is that stupid plate at the back of the swing arm gets wobbly and loose. grrrr

yep - that happens. The adjusters only move the wheel backwards. You need to push the wheel forward manually, if that is what you are trying to do. And a rear paddock stand is fine.

Dave20046
26-09-08, 07:28 PM
yep - that happens. The adjusters only move the wheel backwards. You need to push the wheel forward manually, if that is what you are trying to do.
duh I knew you had to push it one way I was pushing it back wards! (pulling really)

Davido
26-09-08, 07:34 PM
After you've fiddled with the adjusters, give the wheel a tug or a push to loosen it off.

The way I do it is make it so the chain is really loose, with the wheel pushed all the way forward, then tighten up both sides equally, using the marks on the swingarm for a guide.

simesb
26-09-08, 07:39 PM
The way I do it is make it so the chain is really loose, with the wheel pushed all the way forward, then tighten up both sides equally, using the marks on the swingarm for a guide.

The marks are rubbish though and don't necessarily match up. Get the wheel straight with strings, and the just make sure you adjust each side the same. Check the alignment every now and then if you're worried.

Dave20046
26-09-08, 08:27 PM
The marks are rubbish though and don't necessarily match up. Get the wheel straight with strings, and the just make sure you adjust each side the same. Check the alignment every now and then if you're worried.
Me being me I've just gone out and done it to the marks, it's a bit tight (only about 2cm play) but I'm just so fed up. I'm only riding it 5 minutes to the mot centre tomorrow anyway.
Cheerd