PDA

View Full Version : What's needed in a pair of boots?

MiniMatt
09-07-08, 04:29 PM
I'm quite pragmatic about safety gear really. I want the best, but I want to know why it's the best. And I won't be swung on most expensive = safest.

Anyway, bike boots. For the last ten years or so I've had a pair of HG own brand bike boots. They've seen me through perhaps a dozen crashes. They're nothing special, no armour as such, a bit of padding round the ankle is all.

A little while back I had to shift a mate's bike back from the garage and kinda had to bodge the safety gear. Thankfully most of his gear fitted me, but his freaky feet meant that his boots never would. So I went in my DMs. Tucked the laces in for obvious reasons. And they were so unbelievably comfy on the bike I was amazed. I suspect most of this was down to the heel on the DMs being quite substantial and making up for my diminutive stature whereas my bike boots are quite flat.

Anyway, got to thinking, what makes my bike boots "safe" and the DMs "bad"? Ankle protection is arguably better on my DMs, the strength of the sole also makes them far more resistant to lateral crushing, and the rigid leather upper makes them moderately more resistant to vertical crushing. The only thing they're missing is shin protection, but then the shin protection on my bike boots is just a sheet of leather, no armour as such. And abrasion resistance for shins and calves is better covered by leather trousers. Barring the issue with laces (tuck 'em in if you want to keep your toes), I was left thinking that DMs are definitely more comfy and quite possibly safer than my bike boots. How can that be? What am I missing?

And assuming I've missed something significant, any recommendations for boots that are all day comfy to walk in as well as ride? Is there such a thing?

Neeja
09-07-08, 08:47 PM
Comfy boots: http://teknic.bikersworldshops.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1074

I wear these for approx. 12 hours per day - never both changing them in work they're so nice to wear. Feels odd to be wearing anything except these now :)

metalmonkey
09-07-08, 11:53 PM
I have Alpinestar SMX-4 boots which are waterproof have arour and are a great boot for the road, they are about £150 and I love my boots they are great.

Jester666
11-07-08, 06:42 AM
The important stuff in no particular order;

1. Price
2. Armour. Mainly in the shin and especially the ankle areas.
3. Comfort. There's nothing worse that painful/uncomfortable boots.
4. Looks. Some people only buy big name brands, some buy whatever. Don't get white boots!! They go grey/brown very quickly!
5. Waterproof. Although you can get waterproof socks. I wear 'Sealskinz'.

HTH

K
11-07-08, 07:23 AM
Hmmm - what's needed in good bike boots...

... well, that they fit for a start! ;)

To be honest I used to wear DM's all the time back in the 'old days' - but back then they didn't make any bike gear that fit teeny little birds like me. ;)

Personally I like my Sidi's, (blackrains I think) perfectly waterproof, armour to the shin and ankle and also come in half sizes so they fit my freaky feet wonderfully.
I could easily wear them all day... but as a significant part of my day is spent trudging through horse poo I tend not to. ;) Leave my somewhat knackered yet comfy old army boots for that.:roll:

I guess it also depends on what trousers you're wearing.
I've got some Sidi 'Ankleboots' too - which are just as comfortable n stuff but lack any shin protection - however they are perfect to go with my Alpinestars leathers which have shin armour in them already. Great if going to a mates and then getting changed into regular clothing or sommat as I never need to take a change of boots.

Overall I'd rate comfort very highly. Otherwise you'd fidget = not good when riding a bike.

en4rab
10-08-08, 07:37 AM
I have a pair of Hi-tec magnum protector ST steel toe capped boots, mostly so I can get off my bike and go straight into work, they are water resistant enough that they are still dry after my 20 min ride to work even if its tipping down with rain.
http://global.magnumboots.com/en/product_more_info/boots/safety_uniform/31/

zsv650
25-09-08, 08:59 PM
got a pair of daytona non stop's superbly comfortable waterproof high quality thick leather i'll be sticking with them now and i trust them if they need to do their job they'll do it.

G
25-09-08, 09:15 PM
I have a crappy pair of alpinestar touring leather boots, they have pretty much no protection but do an ok job, I imagine if I came off and the bike landed on my leg/ankle it would probably hurt alot and break my ankle.

I want some decent racey boots for my next set, something with good side ankle protection, and good front shin and rear achilies protection.

A good boot depends on the riding you are planning on doing, I see nothing wrong with DM's for most road riding.

Something along the lines of these SMX-Plus boots....DM's offer nowhere near the same level of protection, pointless expenditure though unless you think you may need that level of protection at some point.

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/ProductImages/details/20512_large.jpg

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/ProductImages/details/20512_inside.jpg

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/ProductImages/details/20512_back.jpg

Biker Biggles
26-09-08, 09:52 AM
The vital thing about boots is they must have soul.

Taxi!

Incidently I have a pair of Sidi Black Rains which are a couple of years old now but leak in even light rain.