PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about doggies ... Samson poorly

Shellywoozle
16-07-08, 06:29 PM
Hey all, got a vets appointment tomorrow but worried about Sam tonight.

Sam has had a dodgy tum for a while now. 1st time was a month ago after Sam had an intake of ice cream, he had the runs in vast amounts during the night. All settled down and he was OK the next day.

About 2 weeks later, after eating his normal food he had another bout of the runs during the night, I dont mean small bits, he is leaving his mum a pressy of 4 giant piles on my nice cream carpet then lots of little spots, this time he had a bit of sick in too.

Then last week it happened again, but this time I have noticed he is not wanting his food. It hit me when someone said "has Sam lost weight". Sam has NO fat on him whatsoever, I was always concerned he was underweight but the vets said he is spot on on every check up and the fact you can see his waist is good.

So with me knowing he lost weight I been watching what he eats, making sure he eats 2 meals. He is strugglin with 2 meals and just walks away from his fav food, but he still begs and will take treats if offered.

He is running about OK when enticed but otherwise just sleeps curled up in a little ball, he even fell asleep sittin upright today which he has never done before. His gums look OK as do his eyes.

Today he ate a full meal :smt023, then this afternoon he threw it up. :smt012

I have given him chicken and rice but what else can I give him that will be easy on his tum.

As I say I am going the vets tomorrow but they cant get me in til 5pm and I dont like to think of him starving or with an unsettled tum.

Can anyone suggest something he could eat that would be easy on his poorly tum? Dont want him not to eat. Looked on the web but one site contradicts another.

Cheers

Shell and Sam x

jimmy__riddle
16-07-08, 06:34 PM
maybe worms? my dog was ill like that after eating horse poo! little fella just started eating as much as he can for some reason then had the exact same symptoms as youve described. Trip to the vet and some pills and he was fine.

Shellywoozle
16-07-08, 06:39 PM
Could be makes sense, Sam has had his worming tablets every 3 months, although he has only just has his last ones last week.

Ahhh I have a dog who has pets of his own LOL. Thanks x

stewie
16-07-08, 07:00 PM
Good luck shell, and samson of course ;)

Speedy Claire
16-07-08, 07:08 PM
not too sure hun but hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Try feeding him just plain white boiled fish and rice, thats what the vet advised me to give my dog once when she was poorly, best of luck for tomor x

Speedy Claire
16-07-08, 07:09 PM
oh was also gonna suggest that as horrible as it sounds try to scoop up a little bit of his poo tomor and take it with you in a container. The vet could send it off for analysis and see if there`s any bugs there that might be causing the upset

Shellywoozle
16-07-08, 07:12 PM
oh was also gonna suggest that as horrible as it sounds try to scoop up a little bit of his poo tomor and take it with you in a container. The vet could send it off for analysis and see if there`s any bugs there that might be causing the upset

Errr his runny poo, gonna take him the field now and pray he poos, he hasnt all day as he not eaten.

Ahhh new symptom, well not new but I just laughed it off before, every time he jumps up on the sofa he farts .... yes laugh guys but I assume wind build up somewhere in his little tummy :(

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7913/sammyuy5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7913/sammyuy5.88aeb45cdc.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=357&i=sammyuy5.jpg)

This is unlike him, been there for ages :( Sad Sam

tanis34
16-07-08, 07:14 PM
maybe worms? my dog was ill like that after eating horse poo! little fella just started eating as much as he can for some reason then had the exact same symptoms as youve described. Trip to the vet and some pills and he was fine.
+1 or it could be a partial blockage of the stomach or intestinal tract but only the vet could identify this , but it doesn't sound to serious as he seems ok in himself , good luck at the vets let us know how you get on:grouphug::kiss:

Speedy Claire
16-07-08, 07:23 PM
Errr his runny poo, gonna take him the field now and pray he poos, he hasnt all day as he not eaten.

Ahhh new symptom, well not new but I just laughed it off before, every time he jumps up on the sofa he farts .... yes laugh guys but I assume wind build up somewhere in his little tummy :(

yep his runny poo lol.... scoop a little bit up, could be something as simple as a stomach bug which would respond to anti biotics. You walk him on fields which i assume other dogs use and the first thing a dog will do is smell another dogs poo.. infection could easily be picked up there. The microbiology report would either rule out a bug or prove one is there and then recommend what to treat it with, really hope its something as simple as that and not the more severe blockages etc.

Shellywoozle
16-07-08, 07:27 PM
yep his runny poo lol.... scoop a little bit up, could be something as simple as a stomach bug which would respond to anti biotics. You walk him on fields which i assume other dogs use and the first thing a dog will do is smell another dogs poo.. infection could easily be picked up there. The microbiology report would either rule out a bug or prove one is there and then recommend what to treat it with, really hope its something as simple as that and not the more severe blockages etc.

Thanks hun :smt023 I have kept his off the field for a few days, one cause he has a favourite drinking spot and two so he dont pass it on to any other pooches. I walk him on a football field on my estate, they have removed the goal posts leaving 8 holes in the ground which are full of stagnent smelly rain water. Samson being Samson likes to drink from any puddle, and he finds it fun to stick his bum in the air and his head in these holes.

Maybe this is the source of his bad tum, but as I say I have kept him away hoping it would clear up. :smt087

Right off the poo collecting thing .... cheers Claire wish you where here ;) what you do for ya pets

Shellywoozle
16-07-08, 08:18 PM
Got my poo !! For all interested LOL - it's not runny :smt023 good Samson. I could post a pic if you want ?? :) but i won't errrrr LOL

Who had fun running around and the only 2 dogs he came in contact with he growled and snarled ... bad dog :smt012 and he looks so sweet.

Now he is home he just polished off his food ... grrr I think he is having me on :smt076

tanis34
16-07-08, 08:21 PM
Got my poo !! For all interested LOL - it's not runny :smt023 good Samson. I could post a pic if you want ?? :) but i won't errrrr LOL

Who had fun running around and the only 2 dogs he came in contact with he growled and snarled ... bad dog :smt012 and he looks so sweet.

Now he is home he just polished off his food ... grrr I think he is having me on :smt076
he might be after the sympathy vote lol (whose a clever doggy then):D

K
16-07-08, 08:24 PM
Finger's crossed and hoping it's just a tummy bug.

Plain pasta, chicken, boiled rice (with or without vegetables), white fish or even simple bread. All are kind on the stomach and can make a tempting change from usual dog food.

dizzyblonde
16-07-08, 10:31 PM
Could be makes sense, Sam has had his worming tablets every 3 months, although he has only just has his last ones last week.

Ahhh I have a dog who has pets of his own LOL. Thanks x

sometimes my youngest dog has the worst bout of crappy stuff after being wormed, goes through him like a dose of salts, hes got a sensitive tum, and worm tablets are harsh.

Your stagnant puddles could be the answer too. My youngest dog eats everything in sight, and drinks orrid water too. Its awful cause he farts like a trooper and its like green mist, makes your eyes water I can tell you!

Could he have eaten a toy, perhaps, that can send em off too.
Try squeezing him, and see if he squeeks:smt044

shorn
16-07-08, 11:09 PM
Thought I'd add something to this. I'm a dog handler for Customs, and by no means have any veterinary experience, but I do have a fair amount of experience with dogs (and bad bellies!) :pukel:

I would suggest that if he is sick/diarrhea then it is advisable to starve him for 24 hours, then try boiled chicken/rice as suggested.

Can I ask what type of food he eats? Just dry/dry with tinned meat/just meat?

I have recently had the same problem with my own lab, ever since he was young, he kept getting intermittent sickness and bad bellies, and every time we starved him, back on rice/chicken and then normal dry food (James Wellbeloved,) and in a short while he wasn't well again.

We have now come to the conclusion that it was the rice element of his dry food and switched him to Wainwrights potato based food, and he's been good as gold ever since.

Im not saying this is the problem, but if it continues then it is worth considering.

Sometimes a switch of food can do them the world of good, but be sure to switch it gradually.

Shellywoozle
16-07-08, 11:57 PM
Thanks folks!

DB - he destroys all squeeky toys within mins and now has solid rubber which he cannot eat, so he certainly doesn't squeek ... good thought tho. And yes his farts make my eyes water, even Sam is disgusted in his own bum at times :(

Shorn - I feed him gluten and wheat free dry biscuits which sometimes he has soaked in water, he also has natural dog meat, not the tinned stuff but the stuff that has rice and carots in. I put that in his meat as something different.

Y'day if I picked a biscuit out of his bowl and hand fed him he'd eat, he turned his nose up at the bowl, but today he wont even do that. I put chicken and rice in and he wolfed it down.

He wont sit still now, keeps sitting down then getting settled, 5 mins later he will get up and flop somewhere else, huffin and puffin as he goes.

Getting worried now, so unlike him not to come and sleep on bed with me :(

SupaSonic
17-07-08, 05:13 AM

$tevo
17-07-08, 08:39 AM
Only just seen this myself Shelly - Good luck with Sammy, keep us all informed.

I'll say a little prayer for your best mate:)

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 11:19 AM
Sorry hun didn't see this until I saw your PM, and I hadn't turned PC on until after I fed Sam this morning.

Heres the science bit:
1) You do say he destroys toys, just be sure to never let him eat them as this was the last dog we had an obstruction on.

I am always with him when he plays so he don't eat cause I know what a little bugger he can be, sam with anything I give him to be honest, typical male!

2) You dont mention any mucus or blood in the stool, which means its not any severe form of colitis, I also assume that he is up to date with his vaccinations and also since there is no blood that its not Parvovirus

His vomit is literally his food, a big pile of mushed up doggy biscuits, looks almost as how they went in just a bit mushier.

3)You say you have wormed him often and recently, hope it was Drontal as that is a full spectrum wormer, other wormers only kill some kinds of worms, but you dont mention any worms in his poo or that he has coughed any up so it's probably not that.

Not seen any worms in his poo, the runny stuff is just a weird shade of brown LOL errrr without worms

4) You dont mention any distention of the gut, drooling and excessive pain and you say that he is farting for England, also he is not a large deep-chested breed, so more than likely not bloat or the resulting gastric torsion that it causes, good job there...you feed him dry food, right, just make sure that he doesnt drink large quantities of water at once and/or exercise to boisterously after eating, try to feed small frequent meals.

I always take him for his runs then he eats after, he then goes in the garden for toilet before bed etc or a small walk around the estate to loosen anything up. I have pressed his tum gently and he appears to be in no discomfort - he just looks at me as if to say "stop it mum it tickles"

6) All advice given is correct, any gastro probs like vomiting and diarrhoea, starve 24 hours then feed something easily assimilated like carbs, rice and pasta or protein, chicken. Feed little and often.

Rice and chicken seemed to be nice for him this morning, licking his lips looking for me, half a bag of boil in bag rice with half a chicken breast with a few of his doggy biscuits. Yum yum he liked that!

7)You dont mention where he is walked and if he could have eaten something that has disagreed with him.

I walk him on a football field on our estate, it has trees on the one side which he often finds a branch and munches as he runs around with it, no stopping him as if I go near he runs away with it. He eats those fir cones but when he sicks those up they come out usually, but there aren't many on the field at the mo. But he has found the holes wehere football post went which now are full of stagnent water, likes a drink from them, I know am keeping him off the field while is is poorly just in case. But yes he eats everything on that field. Kids leave stuff which I usually get to before Sam, muller rice pots #-o etc, kids eh !

8) You say he is losing weight and is very active, it might be that he has hyperthyroidism, vet will prob do a blood test and send that poo off to the lab for you, might just be some bad gut bacteria that have caused this and you have caught it before the mucus/blood stage...good on you for noticing.

Not lost loads of weight but can see his ribs a tad more than before, could always see them when he breathed in cause he is one skinny breed of doggy when fit and he never stays still. And I am walking him lots as I am off sick so maybe I am overdoing it, didn't thionk you could with Springers tho.

Thanks for ya time and effort hun, if he is sick before vets I will defo give you a call, I will be poking thru his puke to see if I can spot stuff, errr :mad:

appollo1
17-07-08, 11:24 AM
Poor Sam

You've got some very professional advice from Sonic.

Just a quick question, in the park where you walk him, have you noticed anyone spraying the field recently? Does Sam eat grass?

Good luck at the vets and keep us updated.

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 11:26 AM
Poor Sam

You've got some very professional advice from Sonic.

Just a quick question, in the park where you walk him, have you noticed anyone spraying the field recently? Does Sam eat grass?

Good luck at the vets and keep us updated.

No its more just a field with 2 football pitches for the local teams to play on a Sun, noone does anything apart from cut the grass.

Yeah Sam has been eating the grass for a few weeks, not alot but munching the odd bit, I know this is their way of being sick isn't it?

Thanks hun will post up after been vets later, fingers crossed its simple.

He may give me a nights sleep, he up and down up and down like a yo yo LOL

shorn
17-07-08, 01:37 PM
Aside from the sickness problem, and thinking about the not eating part... we have had this recently with two of our springers, (they are fed dry mix and 1/2 tin of chappie, once a day) and when they've been off their food, we normally mix up some gravy and put that on it. They usually are quite eager to eat it with some bisto! We then keep this up for up to a week and at some point they usually turn there nose up to it with gravy on and decide they want it dry again, and then are back to normal.

The fun part is that they will always keep you guessing! #-o

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 03:04 PM
Aside from the sickness problem, and thinking about the not eating part... we have had this recently with two of our springers, (they are fed dry mix and 1/2 tin of chappie, once a day) and when they've been off their food, we normally mix up some gravy and put that on it. They usually are quite eager to eat it with some bisto! We then keep this up for up to a week and at some point they usually turn there nose up to it with gravy on and decide they want it dry again, and then are back to normal.

The fun part is that they will always keep you guessing! #-o

LOL he loves gravy. Just been to Asda bought 8 pieces of chicken breast and lots of rice. I spent more on him than I did on me :confused: summat wrong there LOL. Why is chicken so expensive LOL :smt105

punyXpress
17-07-08, 03:09 PM
[quote=shorn;1570626]Thought I'd add something to this. I'm a dog handler for Customs, and by no means have any veterinary experience, but I do have a fair amount of experience with dogs (and bad bellies!) :pukel:

Hi Shorn
Round here we have problems with gamekeepers putting poison in rabbit carcases but doubt this applies in this case.
Sending PM on separate subject.

kwak zzr
17-07-08, 04:58 PM
glad samson is ok shell, dont want me little mate poorly do we:(

stewie
17-07-08, 05:07 PM
Whats the word then Shell ? everything ok ?

kwak zzr
17-07-08, 05:10 PM
shell text me and sam is ok, tummy bug the vets think.

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 05:53 PM
Hello Sam here - "I like the vets, cool place. I perked up as soon as I walked through the door, pulled Mummy straight into the waiting room past the receptionist where all the other cats and doggies had been, smelt good :thumleft:

Mum made me sit for 5 mins before a big door opened and a woman in green asked me to go in, she didn't ask for Mum but she came in anyway :smt016. Mum picked me up and put me on this big table thing, she struggled I think she hurt her arm. I was as tall as everyone else now and I thought I could jump back down but Mummy stopped me :(

The lady in Green and Mummy had a chat about my poo and me bing sick and then the lady in green stuck something cold up my bum whilst Mummy held my head, I didn't like it but Mummy was giving me cuddles so it wasn't too bad. Woman in green said I was the right temperature.

Lady then felt my tummy, looked in my ears and eyes and in my mouth and then she put me on some scale things. She said I was 18kg the same I was on my last visit so she was happy saying I was in good condition. I like this woman.

Then her and mummy was talking about how my poo is OK again now and the vet didn't want to see the poo Mummy had taken with her, god it smelt yuk !
I sniffed round the room while they talked, I think I showed Mummy up ! :smt080

Lady in green asked Mummy to feed me chicken and rice / fish / scrambled eggs for next few days then put me back to my boring food :(.

May go for a walk in a bit, going to chill and watch some TV first, had some yummy Chicken and Rice tonight and wolfed it down, I get it all w/e while mummy watched bikes go round a race track. Think Nanny is looking after me and I know she spoils me so I am happy!

Mum asked me to thank everyone that helped her earlier, I think I worried her abit but she looks happier now. :smt105

(Basically Sam is recovering from tummy upset which he could have picked up from anywhere, but with his poo being normal again the vet had no concerns, she said dogs are piccy with food and Sam is very, doesn't eat every day religiously. Juts got to keep an eye on him and introduce his normal food after a few days when his tum is settled) :)

Speedy Claire
17-07-08, 07:09 PM
brilliant, glad to hear he`s ok and was nothing serious. By the way Shell, when I said take a sample of poo I meant the dog`s runny pool....... not your own!!! :D

mac608
17-07-08, 07:40 PM
My wife's dog is a really fussy eater too but he is due for an MRI next week, he has had two seizures. Thank god for insurance.

Glad Sam is recovering

appollo1
17-07-08, 07:58 PM
My wife's dog is a really fussy eater too but he is due for an MRI next week, he has had two seizures. Thank god for insurance.

Glad Sam is recovering

My dog has just cost me nearly 4 thousand pound for an MRI and surgery to fix his back :smt005:smt005. Thank god for insurance.:D:D

Shelly

Glad Samson has been given the all clear. :thumleft::thumleft::thumleft:

18kg is that all!!! My dog at last weigh in before his op was 52kg then after 51kg. Sometimes I think he forgets he is a big dog.

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 08:18 PM
18kg is that all!!! My dog at last weigh in before his op was 52kg then after 51kg. Sometimes I think he forgets he is a big dog.

He only ickle to ain't he, god your doggy must be huge

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9465/samcs8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Post a piccy of yours Ricky and compare LOL :smt005 You can see why I was worried, there is nothing on him as there is so when he looses just a bit of weight he looks wrong. Vet says he fine tho and he doesnt need to be fatter.

appollo1
17-07-08, 08:43 PM
I'm in work at the moment but will post a pic of my dog either tonight or tomorrow (depends what time I finish)

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 08:47 PM
I'm in work at the moment but will post a pic of my dog either tonight or tomorrow (depends what time I finish)

Work, how does work involve Orging LOL ;) OK hun

appollo1
17-07-08, 08:50 PM
Work, how does work involve Orging LOL ;) OK hun

Priorities my dear Shelly, Priorities!!!! Wanted to find out how Samson was!

Davido
17-07-08, 08:54 PM

Glad Sam is recovering

Same thing happened to my dog,we ended up going down the MRI route and nothing was found.

He's currently on medication that makes him hungry all the time, and weakens his back legs (not good for an alsation) but it calms his fits down. Nothing prevents them, but they are definitely less violent since going on the pills.

If your dog has what mine has, then I am doubtful an MRI will find anything.

Good luck with it. :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/davidopi666/CIMG0085.jpg

Shellywoozle
17-07-08, 09:01 PM

Glad Sam is recovering

Fingers crossed that the MRI finds something simple or nothing and doggy is OK. Let us know how he goes xx

timwilky
18-07-08, 12:31 AM
Glad Sam is OK. Now a lesson for you pet owners re insurance.

Jasper has always had insurance. A couple of years ago he was having problems with his bottom and eventually he had to have the glands removed. His insurers refused to pay for the op.

Because we opted to take out a new insurance cover on line with his existing insurer than renew his current policy. Therefore it was considered a pre existing condition. We had gone this route as it saved us about 20 quid. Lesson learnt. But makes you wonder about things like home insurance when did the subsidence start etc if you change etc.

Jasper currently is being investigated for allergies. His tummy is bright pink and he is scratching a lot. They have identified 4 different grasses, storage mites. So his IAMs or the way we store it may be a problem. And they are now lucking at a vaccine for him. Poor chap, it cannot be pleasant being poorly and unable to tell people what is wrong.

tanis34
18-07-08, 05:40 AM
glad sam got the all clear shell:smt026
paul

$tevo
18-07-08, 05:51 AM
Phew:)

Keep him muzzled when he's out if he's a womblivor!

Good news anyway

Devil Biccy
18-07-08, 07:32 AM
Glad your Dogs well again Shell

appollo1
18-07-08, 11:17 PM
Here's my little dog!!

Shellywoozle
21-07-08, 10:35 AM
Here's my little dog!!

OK Appollo do you know what the world LITTLE means? Sam I classed as a medium dog, maybe I am wrong in all this but your dog is LARGE, but very cute and cuddly !

You misses must be happy ! LOL :smt077

Samnooshka
21-07-08, 11:06 AM
OK Appollo do you know what the world LITTLE means? Sam I classed as a medium dog, maybe I am wrong in all this but your dog is LARGE, but very cute and cuddly !

You misses must be happy ! LOL :smt077

LOL both your dogs are little compared to mine LOL!!!

jimmy__riddle
21-07-08, 11:10 AM
yours make mine look small!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2238109972_e0b6faed16.jpg

Shellywoozle
22-07-08, 09:35 PM
yours make mine look small!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2238109972_e0b6faed16.jpg

Star of MIB

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/mib2.JPG

K
23-07-08, 07:18 AM
Oh well then - if we're showing the off too ;)...

... my little bundle of fun 5 months ago when he was a wee pup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/spazmutt/Spider/P100054820.jpg

Though now I've only just realised that I've no recent pictures of him on my computer - all still on the camera. I really must remedy that. :oops:

wheelnut
23-07-08, 07:41 AM
Here is your little dog bigger.
http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1855&=1&d=1216423019

Shellywoozle
23-07-08, 10:25 AM
That dog ain't little, Samson was playing with 2 of those on the field yesterday and they were 50kg and they were huge !! Appolloe your dog is officially BIG.

Samnooshka, I hate to think how big your doggies are -notice I didnt call them puppies ;)

And as for K, I want your bundle of fluff, swap it for my lurvely mad bundle, please !!

wheelnut
23-07-08, 08:28 PM
Appollo, who told you to throw a stick for the dog and it will bring it back?

That stick is huge too, lol

appollo1
23-07-08, 08:54 PM
Here is your little dog bigger.
http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1855&=1&d=1216423019

Thanks Wheelnut.

Yes that is a tree trunk he is playing with and he was trying his best to pick it up. My dog doesn't like small sticks and we could have great bonfires with the big sticks he brings home.

Devil Biccy
24-07-08, 01:07 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/saeed65/CIMG0664.jpg

here is mine and this is what he did las week dragging me through a muddy puddle

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/saeed65/CIMG0666.jpg

so much for taking the dog for a walk to ease me back to a gentle heart rate!

K
24-07-08, 01:51 PM
And as for K, I want your bundle of fluff, swap it for my lurvely mad bundle, please !!

No deal.:cool:

Can't believe I've not got any recent photos other than those taken on my phone... which is poo so the mostly come out looking like black fuzzy blobs - occasionally with a couple of eyes!

This is probably the best one - spaniels doing one of the things they do best... rootling around in grass that is far taller than them! ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/spazmutt/Spider/SP_A0130.jpg