PDA

View Full Version : No longer a dole scrounging layabout!

MiniMatt
18-07-08, 12:05 PM
Start on Monday :D

On a related note, does anyone know how best to roll/fold a suit so it fits into a rucksack/tank bag and doesn't look like I slept in it the next morning? As there's no way I can afford to get the car back on the road till next payday.

For anyone stuck on benefits of any kind at the moment, I sympathise greatly.

For anyone who thinks it's a life of luxury, try surviving on £60 a week when your rent is £80 a week, and bills are another £40 a week. I just weighed myself - I'm currently 7 stone 2lb. At 5'5". First paycheck I'm going to be eating Grinch's share of cake :D

hovis
18-07-08, 12:08 PM
about bloody time

G
18-07-08, 12:10 PM
Congratulations, take a suit and some shirts to work once in the car then leave them in your office....then ride the rest of the days and change at work. All work places should legally have an area to get changed.

And theres a difference between a genuine job seeker on job seekers allowance......and a scrounging **** claiming every benefit under the sun that then can legally and illegally wangle from the govement because they cant be arsed.

custard
18-07-08, 12:13 PM
yeah bin there. congrats on the job!

unemployment - why we went to iceland...

Ceri JC
18-07-08, 12:15 PM
Suits can be a bugger- just the shirts are usually okay, it's best to 'bundle' them around other clothes. Normal approach seems to be to take your suit in and keep it in work and then just take shirts for the week in on Monday. I'd be inclined to put it inside a suit carrier and then put that in a large rucksack. Once the suit is in, just take the week's shirts in rolled up in the tailpack. It's amazing how much less creased they are when they are bundled rather than folded or even rolled (although rolled is miles better than folded). If you're not happy wearing a big enough rucksack whilst riding, is there any way you could get a lift/public transport in for the first day (to get the suit there) then just take the bike with shirts from then on? I get 2 pairs of trousers with a suit and then you can change the trousers over weekly too.

ooger
18-07-08, 12:16 PM
unemployment - why we went to Iceland...

I wouldn't want to work there either.

custard
18-07-08, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't want to work there either.

thankfully didnt work there. just spent my dole. months food for £50. rockin! (its utter ****e mind)

timwilky
18-07-08, 12:29 PM
Well just off to the job centre with the wife. To explain yet again that she is unable to work because her doctor say "You are not well enough".

OK, the computer says "come back in another month"

Jayneflakes
18-07-08, 12:31 PM
Well Done Matt, Glad it happened for you.

;-)

sarah
18-07-08, 12:35 PM

Congrats!

I just weighed myself - I'm currently 7 stone 2lb. At 5'5". First paycheck I'm going to be eating Grinch's share of cake :D

OMG you must look like a skellington.

timwilky
18-07-08, 02:36 PM
update, she was told to come back again in 3 months this time. And queried was she well enough to be out.

They certainly get the message over, the adviser at the job centre has MS, walks with a pair of sticks, you get the impression that if she wants to and can work with her condition (Although she did say she had to give up her career as a HR director) that anyone capable of doing work despite disability should.

G
18-07-08, 02:39 PM
update, she was told to come back again in 3 months this time. And queried was she well enough to be out.

They certainly get the message over, the adviser at the job centre has MS, walks with a pair of sticks, you get the impression that if she wants to and can work with her condition (Although she did say she had to give up her career as a HR director) that anyone capable of doing work despite disability should.

Unfortunately (whilst trying not to offend) that is how it should be. Nearly everyone is capable of doing something.

timwilky
18-07-08, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately (whilst trying not to offend) that is how it should be. Nearly everyone is capable of doing something.

Oh I agree. The joke with this is my missus has a job, but after 6 months on SSP. you then have to go on Incapacity Benefit. Here the job centre try to get you back into work. Nice initiatives like £40/week if you go back and earn less than £16,000/year, motivation courses etc.

But to my mind they would be better to focus on those who are long term unemployed rather than those like the missus who are going through illness with every intention of returning to their jobs when well.

melody
18-07-08, 06:28 PM

On a related note, does anyone know how best to roll/fold a suit so it fits into a rucksack/tank bag and doesn't look like I slept in it the next morning? As there's no way I can afford to get the car back on the road till next payday.

For anyone stuck on benefits of any kind at the moment, I sympathise greatly.

For anyone who thinks it's a life of luxury, try surviving on £60 a week when your rent is £80 a week, and bills are another £40 a week. I just weighed myself - I'm currently 7 stone 2lb. At 5'5". First paycheck I'm going to be eating Grinch's share of cake :D

Congratulations Matt.

You can have my share of cake too.:smt001

Razor
18-07-08, 06:37 PM
sod the cake, eat some pies!
congrats on the job tho ;)

Miss Alpinestarhero
18-07-08, 07:14 PM
Woohoo congratulations :D Whats the job?

Im not well equipped to advise on how to get your suit to work but other peoples suggestions seem good. Is there anywhere you could leave your suit? If not, then I guess practice folding it/rolling it etc and see which methods equals the less creases?

Maria

Blue_SV650S
18-07-08, 08:40 PM
Congrats. \\:D/

Do you HAVE to wear a full suit? Many places are happy with just a shirt an tie. Just roll the trousers and shirt up and pack an iron, your shoes a towel and the iron in the tank bag and give the shirt a quick iron (place the towel on the floor and iron on that) when you get to work!! :) ... just make sure you get to work with enough time to do this in secret obviously ;)