PDA

View Full Version : Broken wrist means no maintenance?

Neeja
19-07-08, 07:04 PM
Like hell it doesn't:
http://www.indiegallery.com/sarcasm/glove.jpg

Jayneflakes
19-07-08, 07:09 PM
Good on Ya...

Don't let a little broken bone stop you having fun.

Although cleaning wheels after a long wet ride or repairing crash damage is hardly fun though is it?

Anyway, respect sir. I admire your refusal to give up. :mrgreen:

Neeja
19-07-08, 07:35 PM
Actually, I stripped down the back of the bike and found this:
http://www.indiegallery.com/sarcasm/rust.jpg

Rust! Noes! :(

Guess I have something to do with my 7 weeks off work afterall ;)

tanis34
19-07-08, 08:42 PM
if thats wot you can do with a broken wrist bet your ruddy good without a break lol

dizzyblonde
19-07-08, 08:53 PM
Actually, I stripped down the back of the bike and found this:
http://www.indiegallery.com/sarcasm/rust.jpg

Rust! Noes! :(

Guess I have something to do with my 7 weeks off work afterall ;)

thats not rust!! this is rust...lolhttp://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/loubi650/2008_01260016.jpg

now carry on, good to see you don't let a pot on the old arm keep you from your work!!:cool:

Neeja
19-07-08, 09:02 PM
thats not rust!! this is rust...lol

Was that left outside since it rolled off the production line and occasionally rubbed all over with road-salt?

Mine's not so bad...but the pic was taken after it was all cleaned off ;) Going to grab hold of some hammerite anti-rust paint and clean off all of the crap next week. Did it last year to a CG frame, and it's still rust-free, despite being sat outside in the lakes now. Good stuff!

dizzyblonde
19-07-08, 09:22 PM
It may as well have been. It was 7 years of Yorkshire all year round commuting that did that, and a previous owner thats sat on the settee here, who kept her well mechanically on the inside, but failed to look after her on the outside!!!

Neeja
19-07-08, 09:27 PM
It was 7 years of Yorkshire all year round commuting that did that

Huh. Maybe I should strip 'er down more often. Hopefully new property will have a garage to make this a bit easier :roll:

dizzyblonde
19-07-08, 09:36 PM
Huh. Maybe I should strip 'er down more often. Hopefully new property will have a garage to make this a bit easier :roll:

If I show you what happened to the shock do you promise you won't faint??

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/loubi650/2008_01260024.jpg

and if you want to see the rest....looksi here
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=103561&highlight=suzy+bares

Neeja
19-07-08, 09:41 PM
If I show you what happened to the shock do you promise you won't faint??
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock::shock::shock::shock:

On a more positive note, I think my shock's a lot better than that...not that it matters - it's hopefully going to be replaced in about December :D

I want my forks doing like yours, though :(

dizzyblonde
19-07-08, 09:55 PM
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock::shock::shock::shock:

On a more positive note, I think my shock's a lot better than that...not that it matters - it's hopefully going to be replaced in about December :D

I want my forks doing like yours, though :(

LOL, the replacements much better.
However, to get forks like mine you need a pair of wrists..........as there is a lot of rubbing involved:smt047.......

unless, of course you get somebody else to do them;)

Neeja
19-07-08, 09:59 PM
LOL, the replacements much better.
However, to get forks like mine you need a pair of wrists..........as there is a lot of rubbing involved:smt047.......

unless, of course you get somebody else to do them;)

Ahh, if only I could get someone to do the rubbing for me O:)

I don't have the tools to drop the forks out either, really - I'm working with a small ratchet set and a few screwdrivers. I really need a longer bar to crack stubborn bolts with - I can't even get my calipers off at the moment :(

dizzyblonde
19-07-08, 10:03 PM
Lissa polished her forks whilst they were still in the bike......TBH, its hard work whilst they are out to do em, they won't stay still.
I've got to strip the laquer off the new forks in my other SV, and I'm going to attempt to do that and polish em up, whilst still in it, as I don't have the tools either, nor can I afford the time for the bike to be without a front end at the moment, seeing as though the yellow one is ill again!

Why are you doing maintenance with a naffed wrist anyway......have I missed an 'off' thread somewhere?

Neeja
19-07-08, 10:10 PM
Lissa polished her forks whilst they were still in the bike......TBH, its hard work whilst they are out to do em, they won't stay still.
I've got to strip the laquer off the new forks in my other SV, and I'm going to attempt to do that and polish em up, whilst still in it, as I don't have the tools either, nor can I afford the time for the bike to be without a front end at the moment, seeing as though the yellow one is ill again!

Why are you doing maintenance with a naffed wrist anyway......have I missed an 'off' thread somewhere?

I didn't actually do an off thread - I joined up the day after the accident trying to source a replacement fairing panel ;)

Long-story short, some dude in a shiney silver mercedes on the motorway got cut up and managed to do 70-0 in a ridiculously short time. I braked and avoided him, but he managed to clip me as I went past him, sending my flying off and skidding along (and knackering my brand new Raid 2 which I'd had for all of 32 hours :smt019), bouncing off the central reservation 3 times. Walked away with a sprained ankle, bruises and abrasions. The A+E dept told me after 2 x-rays that my wrist was fine.

Roll on 2 weeks, a doctors visit, 4 more x-rays and an MRI scan later, and they finally decided the wrist was actually broken, hence plaster.

Polishing in-situ is an option, I suppose, but I'm not sure that I'd be up to that right now. Maybe with the front wheel removed it'd be a lot easier, but I've got nothing to brick the bike up with (or the tools to remove the wheel ;)) How hard are they to keep clean once polished up, or would they be better powder-coated?

ooger
19-07-08, 10:15 PM
In an almost relevant newsflash my neighbour was knocked off his bike (mountain) today by his border collie

Broken wrist

The collie is being charged with failing to do shoulder checks before moving out.

Get well soon, determined invalid :D

dizzyblonde
19-07-08, 10:15 PM
I have a polishing fetish, so I don't find it a problem to keep that shiny. I advise that you get a big barrel of Autosol, and that keeps em tip top after you've done the hard work.

As for the accident, my other half can almost feel that description, theres a lot of sucking through the teeth going on from the other side of the sofa;-)Hes bounced down the M62 head first in the fast lane.....so you have his sympathy and congratulations on being such a jammy git!!

Neeja
19-07-08, 10:24 PM
The collie is being charged with failing to do shoulder checks before moving out.

Did you get his license-plate? Nobody got the one of the guy that hit me! ;)

I have a polishing fetish, so I don't find it a problem to keep that shiny. I advise that you get a big barrel of Autosol, and that keeps em tip top after you've done the hard work.

As for the accident, my other half can almost feel that description, theres a lot of sucking through the teeth going on from the other side of the sofa;-)Hes bounced down the M62 head first in the fast lane.....so you have his sympathy and congratulations on being such a jammy git!!

I like keeping things shiney, spend hours on the downpipes whenever I clean the bike, but can't always spend the time. Maybe once I've cleaned off the forks I'll try it for a month or two, and if it gets too annoying I'll get them coated.

Want to know what's even more lucky? The bike only suffered approx. ?110 worth of damage. The worst of it is the front-right fairing panel, which is going to cost ?70 to respray since I'm not confident doing it myself. 'course, the kit didn't get off that lightly, but the jacket was getting on anyway, and I never liked the helmet anyway.

Honest.

:smt090

ooger
19-07-08, 10:32 PM
Did you get his license-plate?

Nah, it was pretty black and white in this case as to whose fault it was ;)

Neeja
19-07-08, 10:34 PM
Nah, it was pretty black and white in this case as to whose fault it was ;)

:smt064 That's *terrible*

;)

yorkie_chris
19-07-08, 11:20 PM
Lol I attempted to service a car with a totally fubar wrist, didn't really do too well as it took 9 hours and I had to get my mate to do quite a bit of it. Oh well...