PDA

View Full Version : I BRING YOU THE Curvy V Pointy debate.... get it off your chests here!

sv_rider1990
21-07-08, 06:25 PM
Right..... here is a good idea i think this thread should be dedicated to everyone who has there differences between the curvy and pointy, anyone that feels they need to make an outburst to newbies when they ask "what the difference is" or "i have the choice between a curvy and pointy"........ hold fire on the keyboard and make a trip to this thread to get it off your chest as i'm growing tired of seeing "yeah pointys are faster" or "curvys are like jelly moulds" or whatever soooooo here is the thread to put the debate on......not to invade a thread that turns into a curvy v pointy debate when someone is simply asks what is the difference as it is growing slightly boring.

So here is the answer to all them threads that have been thread jacked, i have heard your crys for an answer....... I give you:

THE POINTY(the worst) :puker:VS CURVY(the best) :smt045 DEBATE 2008!

I'l start it off............... Curves are faster than points simple lol!!:winner:

(this thread could be exciting) :smt077:smt077:smt077 mwohaahaa!

injury_ian
21-07-08, 06:39 PM
Curveys should come with a free trip to the opticians.....

sv-robo
21-07-08, 06:40 PM
So here is the answer to all them threads that have been thread jacked, i have heard your crys for an answer....... I give you:

THE POINTY(the best) VS CURVY(Butt ugly) :smt045 DEBATE 2008!

I'l start it off...............Pointys are faster than curves simple lol!!:winner:

Job done:p

BillyC
21-07-08, 06:54 PM
Having seen this "debate" numerous times since the Pointy's arrival in 2003, it's got no place in the useful section of "Bike Talk & Issues"... happy for everyone to get this off their chests in Idle Banter though.

By the way, Pointies rule... and anyone who thinks otherwise is a rotten egg! :p

dizzyblonde
21-07-08, 06:59 PM
Yeah but black curvys can slice through large deer like a knife through butter.....and ride thousands of miles with no apparent damage......

mawaaaaaaaaa ninja.....toooo hard by far!!!

And yellow curvys need to fanfair because they are just too damn coooool:cool:

Stingo
21-07-08, 07:18 PM
Right..... here is a good idea i think this thread should be dedicated to everyone who has there differences between the curvy and pointy, anyone that feels they need to make an outburst to newbies when they ask "what the difference is" or "i have the choice between a curvy and pointy"........ hold fire on the keyboard and make a trip to this thread to get it off your chest as i'm growing tired of seeing "yeah pointys are faster" or "curvys are like jelly moulds" or whatever soooooo here is the thread to put the debate on......not to invade a thread that turns into a curvy v pointy debate when someone is simply asks what is the difference as it is growing slightly boring.

THE POINTY(the worst) :puker:VS CURVY(the best) :smt045 DEBATE 2008!

I'l start it off............... Curves are faster than points simple lol!!:winner:

Clearly you are drunk...you also require medical attention...stay where you are...help is on its way...:smt066

Stig
21-07-08, 07:28 PM
Oh not seen this debate before. Honest.

Curvy naked with clipons is the best by a million miles.

Pointy fared is better than curvy fared so long as it has the lowers as well.

hovis
21-07-08, 07:31 PM
they are both $hite

the end

Frank
21-07-08, 07:38 PM
I am off to see the doctor

just looked at a pic of Lilys bike and now realise that I had the wrong shape all along
pointies now rule

dirtsk8
21-07-08, 07:43 PM
Ah! Spectrum versus Commodore 64 circa 1983!

let's go!

Demonz
21-07-08, 07:51 PM
Curvy naked with clipons is the best by a million miles.

It's the Fonzie of SV's :cool:

Jayneflakes
21-07-08, 10:22 PM
For me the Pointy looks slightly insectile, in a cool way. Kind of like an army ant.

As for the curvy, I love the tubular frame, and the soft edges to the casting, but really don't like the look of the faring.

For ultimate beauty, maybe a Curvy, with a pointy faring.

When I bought Silvie, I had a choice of Curvy or Pointy. Pointy won due to pretty faring, (and less miles on the Odo) pretty lights and really comfy seat (important to a chronic pain sufferer).

Also she looks even better with Carol sat on her...:winner:

Doofer
21-07-08, 10:40 PM
Gotta be the curvy :D :D :thumleft:

I'm short (5'1") and the curvy is the lower of the two models, my seat is cut down, but no lowering kit fitted, yet I can still reach the floor comfortably.

I like to do all my own maintenance and repairs, and fuel injection is just to much hassle (yeah, I know, power commanders and the like, but I enjoy stripping a set of carbs down, cleaning them and resetting them from time to time)

I have the 400 and they never made that in pointy, but it has had such a drastic affect on my riding that I suspect the 650 might not have done (just a confidence thing, I needed to back to basics and learn to enjoy riding again)

Doof

maclovin
21-07-08, 10:44 PM
just bought my first one a curvey faired one , think naked curvey and faired pointy looks best (so have got worst of both worlds) but its growing on me very quickly

SV-net
21-07-08, 10:50 PM
Whatever is written here just looks like we tell all what bike we have. What would be interesting is somebody who has had both bikes and can write a decent experience of both.
Mines a pointy and does the job well. Dont know about the curvy but IMO its retro ugly. But probably a great bike. If I had wanted that look I would have purchased one. Then I could have slated the pointy.

BanannaMan
22-07-08, 12:39 AM
Curvys Rule!!!
I'ts a known fact around the world.

But don't take my word for it...let's ask World Superbike rider Eric Bostrom....

http://www.allenschevron.com/curvys.jpg

There see.....I told you so! ;)

sv_rider1990
22-07-08, 09:08 AM
In heinz site we're all slagging off the SV as at the end of the day curvy or pointy we all have an SV whatever it is...... I just wanted this thread to all be about the curves v points instead of thread jacking other peoples it annoys me lol :D!!!

sv_rider1990
22-07-08, 09:08 AM
.................................................. ... Curvys are the best! may i add!

neio79
22-07-08, 10:19 AM
Well I as manufacturers tend to progress and improve things as they go, I would have thought that the fact Suzuki themselves changed to the pointy with its many updates and improvements would say that pointy are the best.

Couldn’t really care less anymore as I don’t own one anymore!!

rictus01
22-07-08, 10:28 AM
Well I think you can only do this from a personal perspective, So as an outline; I've owned 3 curvys (still have two on V5 anyway), but worked on and ridden perhaps 30 or so pointy's.

Both are close enough for the engines to not be an issue between them, however in standard form I thing the pointys are a little more powerfully, but the curvy's are easier to tune-up beyond there.

I love the frame on the curvy, the almost hand made feel to the thing, the pointy has a more "industrial/mass produced" look which isn't to my taste really.

Fairings, the curvy is far more organic, although without lowers does look a little over-sized to me, the pointy isn't pointy enough, for an example look at some of the Yamaha fairings, it's that last 5% Suzuki didn't, just a bit "soft pointy" for my liking.

Naked curvy a little to trim and skinny, pretty yes, but doesn't have the bulk to feel "muscular" the naked pointy does this better.

Other stuff, well I'll live with the over fuelling of top end setup on a decent set of carbs as that's my background anyway and ride around any carb icing problems I get, the FI on the pointy is by now means bad, but you can tell it was built to a price.

Engine bits, well the oil cooler is nice, but the convenience of the removable clutch cover out weights it I think, only being an issue if it's over tightened and causes a leak.

Swing arm on the curvy is far prettier and it's one of the areas Suzuki saved money on the later pointy.

In summery, the pointy wasn't available when I got mine, however if it had of been I probably wouldn't have got an SV at all, and that would have been a shame as the engine is a real peach in either model.

I'd recommend the SV to anyone as a good bike for the right money but to do the basic suspension mods ( just springs oil and static sag setup), slip-on can, and a big bag of stainless bolts to replace all the bolts on the bike ;) .

Cheers Mark.

sinbad
22-07-08, 10:37 AM
In heinz site we're all slagging off the SV as at the end of the day curvy or pointy we all have an SV whatever it is...... I just wanted this thread to all be about the curves v points instead of thread jacking other peoples it annoys me lol :D!!!

Heinz site? That where they bake 'em and tin 'em? I did not know it was a popular meeting place for the .org ;)

But seriously, it's all lighthearted stuff, who cares anyway? There are other better bikes out there, it's not like the curvy would be the best bike in the world were it not for the existence of the obviously superior pointy :p

Ceri JC
22-07-08, 10:45 AM

let's go!

C64 had the (much) better sound chip, but it had worse games and all the people who owned them were nowhere near as cool as the people with spectrums.

Jayneflakes
22-07-08, 10:57 AM
So, the SV is not the fastest, best suspended or most efficient bike ever built, but you all must admit, it does have character to it, great big dollops of the stuff. :cool:

My SV is a beauty and just to add to my fence sitting even more, I would like a Curvy as well because I think the frame is a work of art too. I was a bit disappointed when I discovered that pointy frames are not box section tubular, but a strange lattice of cast sections. The shame, because a Box frame would look so lovely to look at.

How much of the engine is used as a stressed member in each frame type?

:smt003

dizzyblonde
22-07-08, 10:58 AM
Ok, to end the debate with the truth....
:laughat:without the invention of the superior CURVY....they would not have made the pointy, they always ruin the original invention with some inferior dilution of its former superior self:smt003

So you see the curvy is at the end of the day the better bike, because it came first, and to be honest, apart from Suzuki trying to keep up with other pointy type bikes of the current days fashion, there isn't much difference between the two, as they are the same bike effectively.

Oh and I believe..correct me if I'm wrong...but, the curvy was modelled on the TL1000...certainly what some mens wet dreams were made of...
......don't see many pointy TL1000 do ya;-)

blueto
22-07-08, 11:06 AM
curvy pointy........

whats better on a curvy than a pointy? Cos i think my specs arent workin right if you can spot anything.....

Curvys are BUTTTTTTTT ugly.....Its like saying the vauxhall cavalier was cool in 1985....NOPE>>>>>>>.it became cool in 1990 with the sri shape!

See ....its all about shapes....Points are modern.....curves are sodden

jumjum_0214
22-07-08, 11:11 AM
Oh dear.................................lol :-)

Bear
22-07-08, 11:14 AM
Well, I personally prefer the looks of the pointy, but the curvy has a few more practical things on it: bungee rail under the seat for one, and I've been told by those that know that the curvy is easier to work on...

A cross-breed would surely be the best, right? But would it be called a purvy or a c*nty...

dizzyblonde
22-07-08, 11:15 AM
curvy pointy........

whats better on a curvy than a pointy? Cos i think my specs arent workin right if you can spot anything.....

Curvys are BUTTTTTTTT ugly.....Its like saying the vauxhall cavalier was cool in 1985....NOPE>>>>>>>.it became cool in 1990 with the sri shape!

See ....its all about shapes....Points are modern.....curves are sodden

Whatevaaaaa
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07_02/LaurenCooperBBC_468x346.jpg

AM I bovverred:smt003

thedonal
22-07-08, 11:15 AM
You know, while I prefer curves to straight lines and points in general and prefer the lines of the curvey's fairings....

My main grip with the pointy was that without lowers, it looks kind of chopped off at the neck- unfinished- in exactly the same way as the fairing on a Fazer. It really detracts from the look of the bike as it makes the fairing look out of place.

So- while I still love my curvey most, I would have a pointy 'SV Sport' if I was buying a new one.

custard
22-07-08, 11:16 AM
pointy
pointy
pointy
pointy

to be precise my naked sv1000 pointy and all the rest are just bum.

startrek.steve
22-07-08, 11:32 AM

let's go!

My Amiga stomps on your ST!!

dizzyblonde
22-07-08, 11:38 AM
oooo I had an Amiga 3000 think it were....excelllent

startrek.steve
22-07-08, 11:38 AM
C64 had the (much) better sound chip, but it had worse games and all the people who owned them were nowhere near as cool as the people with spectrums.

WHAT! Custom sound chip! custom Video chip! disk drive!

far superior!!

Steve

startrek.steve
22-07-08, 11:41 AM
oooo I had an Amiga 3000 think it were....excelllent

Posh tart!
Wish I could have afforded one!
A500 with 5MB Ram & 20mMB H/Disk!

Steve

Grinch
22-07-08, 11:42 AM
I have 2 curvy's, so don't ask me.

hovis
22-07-08, 11:46 AM
i only had a vic 20

then i upgaded to a comadore 16 +4

ooger
22-07-08, 11:50 AM
Hi i am new and thinking of getting a bike lol

What is the main differences pls?

kthx

bye

ooger
22-07-08, 11:52 AM
i only had a vic 20

then i upgaded to a comadore 16 +4

I had an Amstrad CPC464. It was "kewl"

Tape drives and everything.

Raf
22-07-08, 11:52 AM
I'm short (5'1") and the curvy is the lower of the two models, my seat is cut down, but no lowering kit fitted, yet I can still reach the floor comfortably.

Right let's correct some facts here. When the pointy was introduced back in 2003 suzuki raise the seat height for K3 650S, 650N, 1000S but the 1000N had the same height as the old 650S/N. From the K4 models onwards I believe they should all be the same seat height as the old curvy model, at least that is what I remember without looking at the figures.

hovis
22-07-08, 11:56 AM
I had an Amstrad CPC464. It was "kewl"

Tape drives and everything.

lol

the funny sound the tape made as it was loading

Grinch
22-07-08, 12:04 PM
Yep the k3 is the year to avoid, as its not even the same on parts as the later models.

carnivore
22-07-08, 12:09 PM
POINTY = GAY
CURVY = TL1000 STYLING = COOL AS :smt035

Filipe M.
22-07-08, 12:12 PM

Somebody buy the man a beer.

Drew Carey
22-07-08, 12:14 PM
It has two wheels.....it beats donkeys in corsa's.......its fun through bends.......it does nought to whatever for less money than most can afford cars to do........we all ride one.......we all love them.......Pointy or Curvy????????? Who cares, we all ride bikes and laugh at car drivers. Nuff Said.
:D

Filipe M.
22-07-08, 12:18 PM
:laughat:
It has two wheels.....it beats donkeys in corsa's.......its fun through bends.......it does nought to whatever for less money than most can afford cars to do........we all ride one.......we all love them.......Pointy or Curvy????????? Who cares, we all ride bikes and laugh at car drivers. Nuff Said.
:D

Hey look, another pointy rider! :lol:

custard
22-07-08, 12:19 PM
am it teh poynty tiem yet?

ooger
22-07-08, 12:21 PM
lol

the funny sound the tape made as it was loading

That was the best bit! And the funky flashing/stripy borders that came with it

If my memory serves me correct, it was:

Control (green) and (little) blue Enter
Close tape deck
Press Play
Press any key
....wait for it....

OOOOOO WWWWWWEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOO
CHHHHSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKSSKSKKKSKKSSSSS

....wait 30 minutes.

Play game.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/Fantasy_World_Dizzy_Loading_Screen.png

That was perhaps one of the best things I ever had. That and stickle bricks.

dizzyblonde
22-07-08, 12:29 PM
POINTY = GAY

Hello dear, wondered when you'd add your two penneth:smt052, the expert has spoken:cool:

Somebody buy the man a beer.

NO.....he's got plenty in my fridge;)

wow Ooger I'd forgotten that game...coool as f'''.....Oh and Settlers on the Amiga, the most addictive game in the world!! Had it on my old PC for a While

Grinch
22-07-08, 12:31 PM
Ooooh Dizzy, sweet.

sv_rider1990
22-07-08, 01:07 PM
Heinz site? That where they bake 'em and tin 'em? I did not know it was a popular meeting place for the .org ;)

But seriously, it's all lighthearted stuff, who cares anyway? There are other better bikes out there, it's not like the curvy would be the best bike in the world were it not for the existence of the obviously superior pointy :p

Lol you know what i mean spelling aint my strong point....... This thread is just a lighthearted friendly debate intended just to let people voice there opinions on here and to let people like me say.............. curvys are the nuts!!!!!

Jayneflakes
22-07-08, 04:21 PM
POINTY = GAY

Hmm, is that a homophobic comment?...........:eye:

Anyway, me and my Girlfriend have a pointy and technically I bought the bike while I still had a boyfriend. :smt067

dizzyblonde
22-07-08, 04:29 PM
Hmm, is that a homophobic comment?...........:eye:

Anyway, me and my Girlfriend have a pointy and technically I bought the bike while I still had a boyfriend. :smt067

Nope hes not a homophobic...quite the contrary...his Missus's bro is gay.....

My other half means it in the chav way...ghey:rolleyes:

Pointies are gay!!! hehehehehe

john2811
22-07-08, 08:42 PM
I had a black curvy S when they first came out in 99, since then dotted in amongst GSs, KTMs, GSX-Rs, R1s, Blackbirds, R6s, CBR-RRs, I've had naked curvy and 3 pointys, 2 naked and 1 S.

Both curvy and pointy are brilliant in their own way.
To my taste the curvy S fairing looks dated (but that can be replaced) curvy frame still a great design.

sv_rider1990
23-07-08, 10:19 AM
I had a black curvy S when they first came out in 99, since then dotted in amongst GSs, KTMs, GSX-Rs, R1s, Blackbirds, R6s, CBR-RRs, I've had naked curvy and 3 pointys, 2 naked and 1 S.

Both curvy and pointy are brilliant in their own way.
To my taste the curvy S fairing looks dated (but that can be replaced) curvy frame still a great design.

Sorry disagree, the curvy fairing i would say looks dated i would say.... classic looking, not over the top by any means not to sporty looking and not to old looking. I dont think itl ever look dated just classic.

Ash

startrek.steve
23-07-08, 11:19 AM
pointy
pointy
pointy
pointy

to be precise my naked sv1000 pointy and all the rest are just bum.

Badgers,Badgers,Badgers,Badgers...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

Steve

dizzyblonde
23-07-08, 11:33 AM
Badgers,Badgers,Badgers,Badgers...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

Steve

hehehe:joker:that is sooo funny, but yet so annoying.....a bit like pointy SVs:smt118

Grinch
23-07-08, 11:54 AM
I like my bike the same way I like my women, nice and curvy. Don't like it pointy I like soft and curvy.

startrek.steve
23-07-08, 12:50 PM
I like my bike the same way I like my women, nice and curvy. Don't like it pointy I like soft and curvy.

Actually, I like my women curvy and just a little bit pointy!!
Steve

Gary C
23-07-08, 12:53 PM
To me the curvy is starting to look a little dated,but then again as i own a pointy i may be biased.

Grinch
23-07-08, 12:57 PM
At the end of the day if some one gave me a pointy for nothing, I'd ride it...

Nope, who am I kiding, I'd sell it and buy another curvy.

john2811
23-07-08, 12:57 PM
Sorry disagree, the curvy fairing i would say looks dated i would say.... classic looking, not over the top by any means not to sporty looking and not to old looking. I dont think itl ever look dated just classic.

Ash

Glad you disagree to agree that it looks dated, I agree too ;-)
"Classic" well that's for time to decide. Personally I don't think there was much that hadn't been done before, whether a curvy SV-S will be considered a classic piece of design in the same way as the VW Beetle, Porsche 911 or Ducati 916/996 or MV Agusta F4 time will tell. Personally I doubt my grand children will be drooling over an SV at the motorcycle museum.

Seriously it would be a very boring world if us humans only found one form beautiful, Vive la Différence.

Grinch
23-07-08, 01:00 PM
The way I'm going I will still have a curvy when my nippers all grown up, I've had one 7 years now and 2 for 3 years.

startrek.steve
23-07-08, 01:01 PM
hehehe:joker:that is sooo funny, but yet so annoying.....a bit like pointy SVs:smt118

Theres also....

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/special+edition/

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/trailer/

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/testy/AdventCalendar/day24.html

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Big+Ass+Badgers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6mpaVEaTg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wky5H1xC6-I

Had enough?......

Steve

john2811
23-07-08, 02:45 PM
The way I'm going I will still have a curvy when my nippers all grown up, I've had one 7 years now and 2 for 3 years.

Grinch, indeed the 7 year old one will soon be a classic, Carole Nash consider any bike over 10 years to be eligible for their classic insurance policy, could be in for some discount LOL :-)

muffles
23-07-08, 03:27 PM
In heinz site

I know it's been commented on already but I :smt043'd at that so much!!

:smt043 !

P.s. K3 is the best - the K4+ tail looks like it's been flattened (well, it has) and the side profile makes it look baaad :p

Grinch
23-07-08, 03:30 PM
Grinch, indeed the 7 year old one will soon be a classic, Carole Nash consider any bike over 10 years to be eligible for their classic insurance policy, could be in for some discount LOL :-)

Cool, that means Jax's 98 monster will be eligible soon.

dizzyblonde
23-07-08, 08:18 PM

ooo that means I have 2 yrs on one SV and 3 years on the other to wait......cheap as chips already but wehay it'll be peanuts by then:p