PDA

View Full Version : Charity TV Ads

Lissa
21-07-08, 07:40 PM
Do they work?

Do they make you want to put your hand in your pocket, or are there so many of them these days that they really don't affect you at all?

I'm getting to the stage where I'm starting to think,' FFS, not this ad again.'

Are they useful for raising money, or counter-productive?

hovis
21-07-08, 07:41 PM
no they dont work

IMO

especialy the african ones

Frank
21-07-08, 08:18 PM
rather give it to my own kids

21QUEST
21-07-08, 08:22 PM
Do they work?

Do they make you want to put your hand in your pocket, or are there so many of them these days that they really don't affect you at all?

Couldn't tell you Lissa .....don't have a telly :p ;)

Ben

Lissa
21-07-08, 08:30 PM
Couldn't tell you Lissa .....don't have a telly :p ;)

Ben

I thought my mum and step-dad were the only wierdo's without a telly:p

Speedy Claire
21-07-08, 08:51 PM
I wouldn`t say the ads i`ve seen have made me want to get out and set up a direct debit and the NSPCC ones just reduce me to tears. I do give monthly payments to the NSPCC , Royal Deaf Socity and Amnesty International but it wasn`t the adverts that prompted me into doing it.

Viney
22-07-08, 08:06 AM
What did annoy me is i got a dvd the other day and Whatsherface, erm, that bird whos maried to that coldplay fellow pops up on my screen telling me about the poor africans etc who are dying from aids etc. Yes its sad, i have my own views on what should be done, but at the beginning of the film, AND you couldnt fast forward past it, or skip it, you had to watch it, just really wound me up as i hate having this stuff thrown in my face. If i want to donate, then i will, and i think in todays society, we are all more than aware of the plights of many people less advantaged than us, just stop throwing it in my face.

Heres a fact. only 23% of all monies rasied has to go to the charity that its advertising! The rest can be used for wahtever purpose within that charity, so check how much goes to the 'victims' before you donate.

fizzwheel
22-07-08, 08:09 AM

Counter Productive. It really gets on my nerves and I just turn it over or ignore it completely.

I wander how much those ads cost to make and do the charities pay to have them made...

Its almost annoying as the volume going up to 300 decibels when the s*dding adverts come on the TV anyway.

Once I've got our sky signal sorted out I'm getting sky+ so I can fast forward through the damn things.

Ceri JC
22-07-08, 08:20 AM
They waste the money that people have already donated. If I put my hand in my pocket, I want it to go to some starving kid in Africa, not a marketing executive in London who makes twice what I do.

neio79
22-07-08, 10:08 AM
They dont work on me. I give to the charities thati feel are worth wile and i wantto support, not cos some idiot on telly tells me to do so.

Jayneflakes
22-07-08, 10:25 AM
I wouldn`t say the ads i`ve seen have made me want to get out and set up a direct debit and the NSPCC ones just reduce me to tears. I do give monthly payments to the NSPCC , Royal Deaf Socity and Amnesty International but it wasn`t the adverts that prompted me into doing it.

I agree, I chose my charities carefully for doing what I believe in. I chose Amnesty and SusTrans.

Basically human rights and Cyclepaths.

I feel that TV based adverts are put there to induce guilt, that way you are more likely to give them money.

The process I do not agree with though is the people who hassle you in the street for your bank details and direct debit forms to make you give to charity. This is a form of begging and some of their tactics can be a little intimidating, rude and antagonistic.

When I open my e-mail in Yahoo, I am often greeted with the Animal Right advert with a picture of a starving tortured dog, in the adverts down the side. It is grotesque and inappropriate first thing in the morning. I wouldn't mind, I am vegetarian because I believe in animal rights.

keithd
22-07-08, 10:28 AM
famine victims? let them starve
homeless? find a box
help the aged? they've had their turn, jog on.

hth

keithyd - putting the passion into compassion

Alpinestarhero
22-07-08, 10:28 AM

Already there. I don't mind the ones dealing with our own country's problems, but I turn over for foreign aid requests.

G
22-07-08, 11:23 AM
I hate them, we clear the house out every few month or so and all the stuff goes to the british heart foundation.......they send a letter to us saying how much stuff was sold for, how much our stuff has raised, and what it will be spent on IN THE UK

Look after your own before giving money to others (although half of europe and eatern countries live here now anyway)

Not forgetting our tax gets given in aid to EU (french bloody farmers) and africa to the tune of many many billions every year.

Lozzo
22-07-08, 11:37 AM
I agree, I chose my charities carefully for doing what I believe in. I chose Amnesty and SusTrans.

Basically human rights and Cyclepaths.

Someone once called me a cyclepath, so I stabbed him.

jimmy__riddle
22-07-08, 11:41 AM
i did feel sorry for a homeless guy i got chatting to after a night out, i bought him a kebab and ive never seen anyone so happy! at least that way i know all the money kinda helped someone.
The tv adverts just annoy me, too in your face. i give some money to charities at events and stuff, but always ask how much actually ends up in the right places. one person collecting money in pubs let slip they were taking nearly £20 an hour, i thought people volunteered for that sort of thing!
sometimes i work extra hours at work, i dont get paid for it, so that saves charities a few quid!

Lozzo
22-07-08, 11:42 AM
I hate them, we clear the house out every few month or so and all the stuff goes to the british heart foundation.......they send a letter to us saying how much stuff was sold for, how much our stuff has raised, and what it will be spent on IN THE UK

BHF are the only charity to get anything from me too, they helped out tremendously when my eldest daughter was first diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy as a small child. Since then we've had a huge amount of support and help from them whenever she's been taken ill.

Viney
22-07-08, 02:33 PM
famine victims? let them starve
homeless? find a box
help the aged? they've had their turn, jog on.

hth

keithyd - putting the passion into compassionWhen are you standing for PM? I can be your campaign manager :lol:

Miss Alpinestarhero
22-07-08, 07:59 PM
Nope they dont. They annoy me. Especially when they say "its only £1-£2 a month" Heck, If I gave every charity a pound I would have no money left!

I do my bit for charity in other ways such as donating my clothes to the British Heart Foundation. Or buying a cancer research/marie curie/etc badge to pin on my bag. Or chucking in loose change in a charity box.

If I was to donate a big sum of money, id choose my charity carefully, set up a justgiving account (so the money definately goes to them..!) and physically do something for it such as running X miles or something.

My mum struggled to unload the car with about 5 boxes of various bits and bobs and then struggled to take it to cancer research. The lady who works there was watching my mum (didnt help) and once my mum put the last box down the lady turned around and said "oh we dont want those, we want X, X, X, and X stuff". How rude and ungrateful.