PDA

View Full Version : Russia, Georgia, America...

gettin2dizzy
12-08-08, 06:27 AM
Stop that. Stop that now. We're too old for this kind of nonsense.

Russia - Stop being a bully. You've proved your point
Georgia - Let S.O. have a referendum. As a state alone; it's more democratic than yourselves.
USA - Stop interfering. The hypocrisy is monumental.

Georgia > :kiss: < Russia

Tris
12-08-08, 06:52 AM
I was only thinking about this on the way to work this morning

As I understand it Georgia invades (maybe disputed I'm not sure??) a chunk of Russia. Russia moves to throw them out and Russia are the bad guys. Have I got thet right, or did Russia move in unprovoked?

Secondly, how can that muppet Bush have the audacity to preach to Russia about invading sovereign states. IRRC the US did that to an arab state not so long a go because they maybe/might have WMDs but have definitley got a load of oil

gettin2dizzy
12-08-08, 07:09 AM
I was only thinking about this on the way to work this morning

As I understand it Georgia invades (maybe disputed I'm not sure??) a chunk of Russia. Russia moves to throw them out and Russia are the bad guys. Have I got thet right, or did Russia move in unprovoked?

Secondly, how can that muppet Bush have the audacity to preach to Russia about invading sovereign states. IRRC the US did that to an arab state not so long a go because they maybe/might have WMDs but have definitley got a load of oil
South Ossetia declared independence in the early 90s after a civil war. Since then they've governed themselves and it's been relatively peaceful. During the opening ceremony of the olympics, just hours after an agreed ceasfire between the S.O. separatists and Georgians the Georgian Army stormed in to 'claim back' their land, bombing a few civilian buildings. The Russians (who have some of their people in the region) just flattened them in what was obviously a preplanned attack. They claim to be protecting their people and was acting as a peacekeeper.

The reason the Russians are being criticised is the brute force they went in with. Thousands of civilians are dead already, and the Russian forces seem to be approaching the capital of Georgia; as if it's going for a complete takeover.

Regardless of the current conflict in the Middle East, this situation just harks back to the Kosovo crisis. There the Americans stormed in to protect the 'independent state' of Kosovo, regardless of the fact it wasn't recognise internationally. The hypocrisy is so, so deep.

the_lone_wolf
12-08-08, 07:18 AM
I quite liked the american spokesman on the radio yesterday who said something along the lines of:

"It's amazing that Russia thinks there is a military solution to this problem..."

Strangely ironic:rolleyes:

Grinch
12-08-08, 09:46 AM
It's bloody drepressing.

Filipe M.
12-08-08, 10:24 AM
Apparently there's a cease fire... linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm). Let's see how long that'll last.

Grinch
12-08-08, 10:25 AM
Pah... theres been loads of those.

Mr Speirs
12-08-08, 10:26 AM
The only reason georgia invaded was because of a cease fire. Maybe now theres another they'll give russia a go?

arc123
12-08-08, 10:31 AM
It was known that a serious confrontation had been building up. British Intelligence predicted this year that a war in the Caucasus was probable. The focus was Georgia, the West’s main ally in the region and the only export route for Caspian oil and gas outside Kremlin control.It's pretty accepted that Georgia being the 'West's main ally' means that they are supplied and funded militarily by America. And with the prospect of them being invited to join NATO (read America's arm of military power in Europe), I am not surprised that the Russians feel a little threatened by this.

In my opinion, it's another war for resources and balance of power.

embee
12-08-08, 01:11 PM
A few people need a good slap on the back of the leg and made to sit on the naughty step for an hour or 2, then sent to bed with no milk and biscuits.

Just leave other people alone and get on with something useful. Bunch of spoilt kids................

gettin2dizzy
12-08-08, 02:52 PM
Bunch of spoilt kids................
Which is exactly what they are. Their armies are just their toys!

Biker Biggles
12-08-08, 03:12 PM
I have a relative there(a bit stuck I think)and I dont know the full details of what has happened.The area concerned is officially part of Georgia,but has been trying to become independant.It appears that Georgia sent in troops to enforce sovrienty and Russia retaliated to support the independance movement,which I would have thought was entirely predictable.As is the inevitable outcome.

gettin2dizzy
13-08-08, 03:39 PM
The Yanks are sending the military to Georgia. Place nice Russia!

Filipe M.
13-08-08, 03:40 PM

Oh $hit... :rolleyes:

the_lone_wolf
13-08-08, 03:47 PM
so although there's no military solution when russia send in their troops, if america do it everything is yee haa awesome?

i'm amazed the american leaders don't drop dead from the irony:rolleyes:

G
13-08-08, 03:50 PM
Amusingly Georgia played russia in 'Beach Volley Ball' today at the olympics.......and won

SoulKiss
13-08-08, 03:54 PM
i'm amazed the american leaders don't drop dead from the irony:rolleyes:

Thats because they believe that irony means "like or made of iron"

Besides is Hypocracy rather than Irony.

You just know that when he was last elected Dubya wanted the "America **** yeah!" song from Team America playing in the background at his inauguration speech......

gettin2dizzy
13-08-08, 03:56 PM
Did you know the states spend more money on the military, than the next 46 highest spending countries in the world. 48% of the total worlds military spending. No one would stand a chance :(

Filipe M.
13-08-08, 03:58 PM
Did you know the states spend more money on the military, than the next 46 highest spending countries in the world. 48% of the total worlds military spending. No one would stand a chance :(

Would that be because it's the only way they can impose themselves? I've always been told that violence is what one resorts to when one has ran out of reasonable arguments... :rolleyes:

G
13-08-08, 04:01 PM

Quality over quantity......They would blow half of themselves up straight away.

Russia has more nukes than any other country = game over if the US really wanted to throw the toys out of the pram and play rough.

Biker Biggles
13-08-08, 04:07 PM
Game over for all of us if anyone throws the teddy out.

the_lone_wolf
13-08-08, 04:08 PM
Besides is Hypocracy rather than Irony.

Irony: the use of words to convey a meaning other than the literal interpretation

What they say: There is no military solution

What they mean: There is no military solution unless it's us that's militarily in charge

It's both hypocrisy and irony;)

Filipe M.
13-08-08, 04:11 PM
Irony? That's just like goldy and silvery, but made of iron...

Coat, Taxi...

SoulKiss
13-08-08, 04:21 PM
irony: The use of words to convey a meaning other than the literal interpretation

what they say: There is no military solution

what they mean: There is no military solution unless it's us that's militarily in charge

it's both hypocrisy and irony;)

bogof

:p

Sosha
13-08-08, 04:29 PM
scream.

What a mess.

the_lone_wolf
13-08-08, 04:31 PM
bogof

why would i "buy one get one free"?

:confused:

gettin2dizzy
13-08-08, 05:38 PM
FE

Irony ;)

anna
13-08-08, 06:26 PM

yes and they earn more then any other country selling it to people who they then decide to go to war against!