PDA

View Full Version : Converting a road bike

sweepdoggydog
27-08-08, 08:58 AM
Hi,

Following my last post, I'm hoping to start racing in the Bemsee Minitwins league next season and I'm looking to buy a bike at the moment. In order to keep the costs to a minimum the bike will have to serve as a road bike as well as the race bike.

At the moment I have around £2000 to spend on a bike, I’m thinking of buying regular (pointy) SV road bike with the aim of converting it into a race bike over the next six months or so using money saved up over those months as I dont have all the money now. Is this a sensible idea and how much is it likely to cost to convert a road bike into race bike? I’m guessing the main components of a minitwins race bike are firstly the suspension, then a full exhaust system and also the race fairings and WOW’s. Would a bike with just the suspension modified potentially be competitive? And how much is it likely to cost sort out the suspension, about £1-1.5k?

I understand that it would probably be cheaper to buy an already set up race bike, but I really need a road bike asap so I think buying a road bike and converting it the only real option available, so If anyone has a pointy/injection model for sale I may be interested, (if the bike already comes with suspension modification a may be able to stretch the budget).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Will

Sideshow#36
27-08-08, 05:03 PM
I was in the exact same position as you this time last year, and I spent a smidge under £3500. The main stuff to concentrate on is suspension. Elka/Ohlins are the main ones around the paddock and you wont go far wrong with either of these. However you will be lucky to get change out of £500!

The front end can be as simple or complicated to sort as you want. I am just running hyperpro springs with 20W oil and it feels good. However you can also look into emulators and spacers, oild gaps etc. My front end cost about £150 and that included new seals etc. So not too bad really.

I run a K4 and i'd say injected was the way to go, however there really isnt much in it to be honest. Race fairing are also cheaper than you may imagine. If you want to go really minimalist just get a belly pan and seat unit with a front number board. Simple. However if you look around you can pick up some bargains on fleabay. And with a bit of ally and imagination you can make almost any fairings fit.

I was lucky with my full system as it was on ebay so I paid half the price for a full M4 race system. Akrapovic/Micron and Hindle are also popular. Get a decent air filter such as K&N or BMC, then a bit of dyno time. You can buy a PC3USB and re-map that way or just remap the stock ECU. I'm running 71.4 BHP which is dammed good for a minitwin and bang on the limit. That was at our last spot check dyno at Brands.

Then as you say things like WOW's. A good set of wheels with discs is probably about £250. Then the wets on top of that. The costs are quite frightning. But just ignore your bank statement and do it!! ;-)

If you want anymore advice or tips let me know. Because there are a lot more little costs you may not have thought about.

All the best, Chris B #36

sweepdoggydog
28-08-08, 08:33 AM
Cheers for the help Chris. £3,500 is roughly what I would be aiming to spend, I'm hoping to pick up a k/3/4/5 for around £2,000 which I will use as a road bike over the next six months and then get the suspension set up nearer the time as well as picking up the other bits as and when they appear on eBay.

One other question, the minitwins league seems to be well subscribed, is it possible to race at every meeting, or is it done on a first come first served basis?

Cheers

Will

Sideshow#36
28-08-08, 09:06 PM
Yeah it is always alomost full or full! On average you will get about 35 entries per round and thats only 5 below the limit. Snetterton was overbooked earlier this year and I missed it but luckily fo me someone dropped out at the last minute and I was first reserve. Brands Hatch is another one that attracts a lot of riders. About the 55 mark for both Brands meetings this year. So we were seperated into Rookies and Clubman for them. Just make sure you get your entries in on time!

boo86
29-08-08, 10:19 AM
keep it real/cheap. my 2000 runs a gsxr 750 rear shock from an 07 model. Up front it's got k tech 0.9nm per mm fork springs 20w oil and home made spacers I made out of ali tube. Fairings are for posers, I've went passed tons of faired bikes on the straits with my naked cheap skate. remember there's a horse power limit but no minimum weight limit. Use the rules to your advantage. How much does a fairing weigh ? Check out my bike on the left <--

Sideshow#36
29-08-08, 03:10 PM
Who do you curently race with Boo? Ok fair enough fairings will weigh a little more than nothing at all but places like Snett and Thruxton i'd choose a fairing any day!!

sweepdoggydog
29-08-08, 03:31 PM
I've got an option to buy a fully sorted 2005 bike for £3000, however I keep telling myself to buy a cheap hack to start with, Boo86 if you don't mind me asking, how much did your bike set you back?