PDA

View Full Version : SV650 Road trim to race???

weecorey
30-08-08, 06:48 PM
Hello Folks, I'm looking at a 2006 SV650 road bike to start racing on next year here in Ireland in the LWSS class. What modifications should I budget for, apart from the race body work, will I need to upgrade the front and rear susspension in my first years racing? I'd likely put a set of rear sets and damper on, is an exhaust system worth that 4/5 bhp?

Please give me your comments as I haven't really got a clue as to what I'll need to do to the bike. Your time is much appreciated.

Regards, Emmet

Dangerous Dave
30-08-08, 09:16 PM
Strip the bike completely, if its not used or needed it shouldn't be there. You will make money back by selling on your road stuff, front headlight and fairing for example.

I can see your point with not replacing the exhaust, but it is very heavy and a set of cheap headers (http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/278.html) will give a little performance boost as well as save a lot of weight.

The suspension is not the SV's greatest asset, the forks can be reworked fully or just springs and oil but unfortunately the shock can't have the same treatment. If you start to out ride the budget rear shock it will need to be replaced.

Biker Biggles
30-08-08, 09:21 PM
Dont know much about it,but surely it is much cheaper to buy a race bike thats already been sorted?There seem to be plenty available,and reasonably priced presumably because it is such a limited market.

weecorey
31-08-08, 08:28 PM
Dont know much about it,but surely it is much cheaper to buy a race bike thats already been sorted?There seem to be plenty available,and reasonably priced presumably because it is such a limited market.

I've been offered a K6 with cosmetic damage only for £1600 with 3700 road miles and V5. Including sv race fairings, GSXR rear shock and GSXR front end, not on the bike of course. I would imagine another £1400 and I would have a well sorted race bike for a total of £3000???

Dangerous Dave
01-09-08, 06:10 PM
Forget the GSXR rear mate, you want a proper SV rear shock on there if you want to make the most out of racing. Something like Ohlins, Elka, Nitron, etc....

weecorey
01-09-08, 08:02 PM
Forget the GSXR rear mate, you want a proper SV rear shock on there if you want to make the most out of racing. Something like Ohlins, Elka, Nitron, etc....

i bought the bike today, the guy I bought it from races an SV himself along with zx10 and GSXR1000, he used a gsxr rear shock for a year and won races, then replaced it with an ohlins (only because he got it cheap and was racing on the roads) he recond it didn't make a very big difference so I'll take his word for it and give it a go.

flymo
01-09-08, 10:00 PM
i bought the bike today, the guy I bought it from races an SV himself along with zx10 and GSXR1000, he used a gsxr rear shock for a year and won races, then replaced it with an ohlins (only because he got it cheap and was racing on the roads) he recond it didn't make a very big difference so I'll take his word for it and give it a go.

If it'll win races in current trim I wouldnt spend anything on it. Save your money for tyres and crash damage repair.

sv650k4
01-09-08, 10:04 PM
I had a gsxr1000 shock in my race bike for a bit it dose make a bit of a differenc then i got a proper sv ohlins shock it 2 be honest it was way better than the gixer shock.

i also used the standard shock for a bit aswell the shock isnt a real must have for your 1st outing on the bikeget the bike race worthy 1st then start 2 do the upgrads etc...you dont need 2 have everything in the world done 2 the bike for the 1st run out on the bike so dont be thinking you do it will take you a we bit probley 2 get used 2 the bike and stuff.

Dangerous Dave
02-09-08, 06:55 AM
gsxr1000 shock in my race bike for a bit it dose make a bit of a differenc then i got a proper sv ohlins shock it 2 be honest it was way better than the gixer shock.
+ 1, the GSXR shock is not set up to work on a SV. If you get a SV specific shock fitted in the rear and have it set up to suit you then there is nothing better and it is ten times better than a bodge job shock.

he used a gsxr rear shock for a year and won races, then replaced it with an ohlins (only because he got it cheap and was racing on the roads) he recond it didn't make a very big difference
Obviously never had it set up properly, believe me there is a huge jump in the increase of performance when comparing GSXR to Ohlins.

If it'll win races in current trim I wouldnt spend anything on it. Save your money for tyres and crash damage repair.
Good advice.