PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the rider is irresponsible?

laMon
05-10-08, 09:49 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2916591552_119eb78105.jpg

When you saw this picture did you think the rider was responsible or just confident and a bit nuts?:smt026

xXBADGERXx
05-10-08, 09:51 PM
Is it you ?

I think the rider is vastly irresponsible , I mean , C`mon , that Jacket is abysmal LOL :D . The Standing up thing , well each to their own .

hovis
05-10-08, 09:53 PM
Do you think the rider is irresponsible?

no........ i have had a go of doing it a few times

laMon
05-10-08, 10:01 PM
yes it is me, the bike is moving or you can't balance. I want to send this picture as a part of collage in my pitch for a Dakar Rally sposorship (in a car!) My son said that I'm irresponsible as it's a public road and I'm a driving instructor who should set an example and part of my pitch relates to the driving instructor thing, but I also wanted to show that I have "some" confidence in my abilities:D and since you need to be nuts to do the Dakar I might just have what it takes, especially being a woman:D

xXBADGERXx
05-10-08, 10:03 PM
Well it was a risky move I`ll grant you that , if it was done in a safe manner with no chance of harm coming to somebody else then so be it , your jacket is still bad :D

laMon
05-10-08, 10:10 PM
Well it was a risky move I`ll grant you that , if it was done in a safe manner with no chance of harm coming to somebody else then so be it , your jacket is still bad :D

Why was it a risky move and why do you not like my jacket?:D

TSM
05-10-08, 10:11 PM
No risky as long as youve checked dangers first.

Ive done it loads, no problem as the bike will allways want to go in a straight line.

I regularly let go of the bars when im comming up the the traffic lights.

xXBADGERXx
05-10-08, 10:15 PM
Why was it a risky move and why do you not like my jacket?:D

Just teasing you about the jacket , that`s all ;) . Risky in the way that something may have come towards you or at you from the sides and you may not have had chance to get back down and control the bike . As far as standing up and doing that , I can`t see much risk from it as the bike will want to stay upright anyway .

laMon
05-10-08, 10:20 PM
Just teasing you about the jacket , that`s all ;) . Risky in the way that something may have come towards you or at you from the sides and you may not have had chance to get back down and control the bike . As far as standing up and doing that , I can`t see much risk from it as the bike will want to stay upright anyway .

There are no other roads on the sides and it takes a split of a sec to sit down or even jump off the bike;)

Demonz
05-10-08, 10:22 PM
I like the pic in your avatar better - shows more skill and confidence. The pic there is a bit soft.

xXBADGERXx
05-10-08, 10:23 PM
There are no other roads on the sides and it takes a split of a sec to sit down or even jump off the bike;)

In that case , it`s all under control :D , your still mad for wearing that jacket though :p

laMon
05-10-08, 10:49 PM
In that case , it`s all under control :D , your still mad for wearing that jacket though :p

cool, about the jacket-shut up you tart :tongue:

laMon
05-10-08, 11:06 PM
there's another
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2915855335_174f82c149.jpg

here I'm pretending to be a plane
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2916708332_a6f3b598d7.jpg?v=0

trying off road gear for the first time
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2784675043_e9d14910c0.jpg?v=0

new Don Quixote?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2786452364_98aaa3236c.jpg?v=0

ridelikeaturtle
05-10-08, 11:18 PM
Alternatively: how could this in any way be considered "responsible"?

Be honest, you're showing off, and that incorporates risk, however reduced it might be with your "there are no other roads on the sides..." rationalizations.

Don't try to minimize this by getting a bunch of us nutjobs to say it's OK :). It might show your skills, it might look cool. But ultimately it's irresponsible, and this sort of thing cannot be recommended to do on any public road.

laMon
05-10-08, 11:26 PM
Alternatively: how could this in any way be considered "responsible"?

Be honest, you're showing off, and that incorporates risk, however reduced it might be with your "there are no other roads on the sides..." rationalizations.

Don't try to minimize this by getting a bunch of us nutjobs to say it's OK :). It might show your skills, it might look cool. But ultimately it's irresponsible, and this sort of thing cannot be recommended to do on any public road.

i'll remove the public road with photoshop:D, and we could start a debate on what is responsible;). i'm not showing off, i like the kick it gives me riding like that:kiss:

TSM
05-10-08, 11:26 PM
balderdash and piffle ..... que????

FG1
05-10-08, 11:56 PM
I don't usually have an issue with things like this but seeing as you asked........

The only thing which concerns me is the width of the road and the fact that the other vehicles in the picture, even though stationary, are facing the other direction which would indicate a two way road.

If you need to ask, the first person you should be asking is yourself.

laMon
06-10-08, 06:06 AM
I don't usually have an issue with things like this but seeing as you asked........

The only thing which concerns me is the width of the road and the fact that the other vehicles in the picture, even though stationary, are facing the other direction which would indicate a two way road.

If you need to ask, the first person you should be asking is yourself.

...it's a country road in a village of Farningham on a Sunday afternoon, there are no hazard warning road markings in the middle of the road as there are no hazards...no danger...and I can see half a mile down...so yes I have done my risk assessment...and unless my tyres blow there's none, or I could have a white van drive into my back at 100m/h:D

dizzyblonde
06-10-08, 09:39 AM
I don't think its irresponsible at all. I just don't know how you get your hands off the bars and do aeroplanes..if I take my hands off the bike wobbles everywhere:-(

I do go down the mway at 70;-) with my bottom in the air when my bums gone numb on long distance though. As long as your in control and theres no danger to others, why not

G
06-10-08, 09:48 AM
Its not hard to do and not irresponsible really.....It does however look completely naff though and I have no idea why you would want to send it off to try and get sponsership.

Send off photos more in tune with what your going to be doing (Like your avatar)......cant see them being wowed by you riding down a quite village high street looking like a pillock.

The Guru
06-10-08, 02:52 PM
All I can say is... Why??

All it takes is for the Police to walk out of a shop/house or appear behind you in a Police Car and your screwed.. hardly in proper control of your machine on a public road..

I wouldnt even class as irresponsible.. more like stupidity.

:smt021

the_lone_wolf
06-10-08, 03:06 PM
crikey... people think THAT'S irresponsible???

i've seen worse on some org rideouts, and having ridden with some very, erm, confident supermoto riders i'd say this is driving miss daisy in comparison, but there's a time and a place for silly buggers, perhaps the middle of town isn't it

i'd still not consider it appropriate stuff to send away with a sponsorship application, sends the wrong message, but as a private thing messing about, fine, just don't get caught and don't hit some kiddy on a push bike

Stu
06-10-08, 03:41 PM
This is what they teach us in the IAM after we pass our test ;)
I do take my hands off the bars, but I guess I am just too lazy to stand up :)

.....and I can see half a mile down...so yes I have done my risk assessment...and unless my tyres blow there's none, or I could have a white van drive into my back at 100m/h:D
But you couldn't see the kid or dog run out from behind that white building across the road, and you appear to be on the wrong side of the road on a 2 way street, so probably not the best photo to show your skill at controlling a vehicle.

plowsie
06-10-08, 03:49 PM
Irresponsible.

EDIT: Your on a public road, the possibility of something coming out, make that a one second(at least) reaction time. Your on the other side of the road aswell, from the pic it looks like its a right hand turn ish...

Pretty cool that you can do it though.

laMon
06-10-08, 03:53 PM
This is what they teach us in the IAM after we pass our test ;)
I do take my hands off the bars, but I guess I am just too lazy to stand up :)

But you couldn't see the kid or dog run out from behind that white building across the road, and you appear to be on the wrong side of the road on a 2 way street, so probably not the best photo to show your skill at controlling a vehicle.

Opinions are divided as always in this kind of thing, and yes Stu I would see as I did not ride pass the white building standing up, as they were teaching you in the IAM am sure you position for vision and that position gives me much better vision down the road and it's perfectly acceptable to be on the other side of the road. ;)

laMon
06-10-08, 05:00 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2919316768_cac58fcc20.jpg?v=0 what about this one? it could be anywhere in the world...

G
06-10-08, 05:04 PM
You still look a plank in it lol, its really not cool and shows nothing.

Send a picture in with you launching off the top of a sand dune :rolleyes:

ArtyLady
06-10-08, 05:23 PM
I think it would be really cool if you did a handstand on the tank (just kidding ;) )

I do think its skillful (cos I couldnt do it) but I agree with some of the others I dont think it worth sending off as much as your avatar pic :cool:

laMon
06-10-08, 05:38 PM
it's going to be a part of a collage (few small pictures of me...) the pitch for sposorship is not simply a pitch to get money out of them, it's a business idea that could make the company "few" quid, the Dakar is an add on the the whole thing or maybe simply my pay off :)

Binky
07-10-08, 11:22 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2919316768_cac58fcc20.jpg?v=0 what about this one? it could be anywhere in the world...

In general i think it's a tad irresponsible. Seen worse though.

BTW if you do decide to send a photo like this use one where you're standing straight and your arms are level. This example looks like you're really uncomfortable with this "move" and are liable to fall off at anytime.

monkey
12-10-08, 11:27 AM
You look like you're about to headbutt the cameraman in a row about a spilt drink!

I found the ability top take both hands off the bars a bit of a revelation.