PDA

View Full Version : Greenlaning in Devon

Demonz
14-10-08, 02:48 PM
Had a great weekend down in Totnes throwing myself around the local lanes. If you ever get a chance to try some greenlaning it is so much fun. We stayed at Wheeldon Farm and spent a little time on their indoor track friday ngiht before attacking the lanes on Saturday and Sunday - Body is still aching.

Here's my outake on weekend: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-jgcDE9a5Ew

and the obligatory heifer shot:
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/1694/file0062smallso3.jpg

Wideboy
15-10-08, 06:23 PM
very nice!

i'd like to have ago at that

caz650s
15-10-08, 07:04 PM
Hi .. I live near Totnes and must have a go at their indoor arena ...do they still use KTMs ? ..they had a load stolen a few months ago !

I used to greenlane around Totnes / Newton Abbot You can go for miles & miles off road can't you ? I spent alot of time going up the high banks that run alongside the tracks ...by accident !

Glad You had a fun time in my neck of the woods !

stanie
15-10-08, 07:05 PM
can you tell me more about the indoor track???

caz650s
15-10-08, 07:22 PM
Hi .. tourneogrant will proberley come up with the address I know it is between Totnes & Kingsbridge.

They are Brothers who used to .. or maybe still farm in the area & the built a massive barn containing a dirt track and they used to hire you a KTM to go round on or you could use your own bike.

There was also the option of a guided session greenlaning usualy in groups of six to ten riders.

hope this gives you a bit more of an idea !

Demonz
15-10-08, 07:33 PM
Hi .. I live near Totnes and must have a go at their indoor arena ...do they still use KTMs ? ..they had a load stolen a few months ago !

I used to greenlane around Totnes / Newton Abbot You can go for miles & miles off road can't you ? I spent alot of time going up the high banks that run alongside the tracks ...by accident !

Glad You had a fun time in my neck of the woods !

Wheeldon are with Suzuki now - more people into them than KTMs so commercially made more sense I guess.

The terrain was a lot more stone than what I'm used too so we struggled a lot with our MotoX tyres where as the locals (and those that read the pre-ride information) used trials tyres. Still had a bag of fun.

can you tell me more about the indoor track???

http://www.wheeldontwo.co.uk/ - the indoor track is a super-x track as far as I know. We were riding 125's that night on a small team event - 1.5hr enduro to see which team could do the most laps. They have all the Suzuki off road range there so 250s etc. I think the Devon TRF will run the same event next spring and then autumn again if you are interested in getting along.

very nice!

i'd like to have ago at that The trf have groups all around the country. Worth looking into if you ever get fed up from road riding.

Demonz
15-10-08, 07:36 PM
Hi .. tourneogrant will proberley come up with the address I know it is between Totnes & Kingsbridge.

They are Brothers who used to .. or maybe still farm in the area & the built a massive barn containing a dirt track and they used to hire you a KTM to go round on or you could use your own bike.

There was also the option of a guided session greenlaning usualy in groups of six to ten riders.

hope this gives you a bit more of an idea !

The brothers still own the farm. They are limited to only using the suzukis on the tracks though. Although you can take your bike down to greenlane whilst staying on the farm and they do combined packages if you are wanting to do something similar. Otherwise take a look on the trf deveon site for next time they organise another weekend.

Wideboy
15-10-08, 08:25 PM
do you have to supply your own bike or can you hire one?

Demonz
15-10-08, 09:18 PM
do you have to supply your own bike or can you hire one?

If you just want to try out some off roading then you can do experience days all around the country - there are a few small companies offering this, hire bikes, and guide for the day. At wheeldon they supply all the bikes for riding on the farm.

Otherwise if you buy your own you can join the TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship) which is a organisation that will show you your local lanes.

Wideboy
15-10-08, 09:19 PM
oh cool

i was thinking about getting a lane basher but i didnt know where you could do it? can you just go anywhere?

Demonz
15-10-08, 09:27 PM
oh cool

i was thinking about getting a lane basher but i didnt know where you could do it? can you just go anywhere?

The lanes are all over but you need to know which you can and cant use and they are not easy to find. I met a good bunch of guys from Dorchester that were raving about the Salsbury lanes so we are pretty keen to get a look around down your way. This is your local group - http://www.southern-trf.org.uk/ -