PDA

View Full Version : where do you guys mount your tax disk holder?

arcdef
25-11-08, 02:43 PM
as per title please, mine hasnt got one and no idea where to put it!

cheers

hovis
25-11-08, 02:44 PM
under the pillion seat

arcdef
25-11-08, 02:44 PM
literally inside the pillion seat or outside underneath??

RichT
25-11-08, 02:46 PM
Mines attached to the nearside top bolt of the rad. The tax disc holder that is, not the tax disc. :)

hovis
25-11-08, 02:47 PM
literally inside the pillion seat or outside underneath??

inside, so it cant be seen

which is illigal i think......but im a rebel;)

arcdef
25-11-08, 02:48 PM
yeah it is illegal, richT - you got any pictures??

cheers

Viney
25-11-08, 02:57 PM
Mine is located on the front Chain guard bolt. Vernas is monted on the Exhaust mount/clamp bolt

arcdef
25-11-08, 02:58 PM
so pretty much anywhere i can put it?

thats alrite then!

yorkie_chris
25-11-08, 03:00 PM
Anywhere on the left where it can be seen AFAIK

Dappa D
25-11-08, 03:02 PM
dont think theres any hard and fast rules really chap...aslong as its visible,

mine was on the lower of the forks when I first got mine like this

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn192/dappad/media2.jpg

hovis
25-11-08, 03:20 PM
so pretty much anywhere i can put it?

yup

although it should be on the left, and visable

SoulKiss
25-11-08, 03:25 PM
My tax-disk holder a Kreiga Stash, which I mount in my right rear pocket of my jeans, or on my belt.

dizzyblonde
25-11-08, 03:36 PM
the pillion peg mounts on the subframe

Dangerous Dave
25-11-08, 03:37 PM
+ 1, well one is the other is loose under the seat with the tool kit.

Ceri JC
25-11-08, 03:41 PM
The "letter of the law" is that it's supposed to be to the front of the engine on the Left Hand Side (hence it being mounted on the LHS of the rad on new bits). This is, quite rightly IMO, not enforced as things like fairings get in the way on modern bikes. I put mine on the back of the LHS pillion pegs mount, next to the subframe. Reasons being its both comparatively very crash proof and easily visible on the left hand (eg pavement) side so the police would have to be real jobsworths to have a problem with it.

RichT
25-11-08, 03:42 PM
yeah it is illegal, richT - you got any pictures??

cheers

Sorry none on this machine (work).... Will see what I've got at home later. If you still want one that is.

Scoobs
25-11-08, 03:43 PM
I've not had a tax disc on my bike for a couple of years......ever since it went missing on the first South goes North ride. Been spoken to by the feds a couple of times and they have mentioned it, but gone no further. they know if you're taxed or not.

However, saying that, it is your risk if it ain't on the bike.

arcdef
25-11-08, 03:57 PM
yeah was thinking about that, what happens if it disappears? you have to fork out for more tax?

dizzyblonde
25-11-08, 03:58 PM
I put mine on the back of the LHS pillion pegs mount, next to the subframe. Reasons being its both comparatively very crash proof and easily visible on the left hand (eg pavement) side so the police would have to be real jobsworths to have a problem with it.

Plus also when you come to change it, the nuts on the back of mine aren't ceased solid from the relentless amount of crud from the road, like mounting it around the front wheel

simesb
25-11-08, 04:05 PM

+2 - best place I've found so far....

startrek.steve
25-11-08, 04:06 PM
Huh,Huh, Huh.... he said mount!!

mr_s81
25-11-08, 04:18 PM
Mine is located on the front Chain guard bolt. Vernas is monted on the Exhaust mount/clamp bolt

+1

Mogs
25-11-08, 04:21 PM
Mines attached to the nearside top bolt of the rad. The tax disc holder that is, not the tax disc. :)

Same here.

vilguy
25-11-08, 04:54 PM
I dont mount it on the bike at all. Tax disc is safe at home in a little folder of bike documents.

So its illegal not to display it... in 7 years of riding without them displayed ive never been pulled.

Its just something to get nicked... so why bother. Besides, all tax information is stored on a database these days so they know instantly if your taxed or not.

Ceri JC
25-11-08, 05:01 PM
Its just something to get nicked... so why bother. Besides, all tax information is stored on a database these days so they know instantly if your taxed or not.

Yes, it seems very antiquated (not to mention costly) in these days of ANPR and databases of MOTs/Road Tax/Insurance that we are required to display them at all.

ricky
25-11-08, 06:31 PM
mine is not on the bike its in doors but the old tax disc for last year is on the bike ops

AmigaNut
25-11-08, 06:36 PM
On the rear bolt of the hugger/chain guard :bom:

madness
25-11-08, 07:18 PM
Cop says 'Do you realise you were exceeding the speed limit sir? Oh and isn't that a very loud exhaust, and look isn't that numberplate illegaly small and surprise, surprise you don't appear to be displaying a valid tax disc. Do you have insurance sir? Does the bike have an MOT sir?"

Get the picture? ;)

jimmy-james
25-11-08, 07:27 PM
http://forums.sv650.org/picture.php?albumid=78&pictureid=836
On the rad bolt as in the picture.

tanis34
25-11-08, 07:31 PM
got fed up of replacing the tax disc and holder so i keep it in my wallet now

vzzzbuxt
25-11-08, 07:53 PM
just a quick question whats a tax disc holder???

...and more importantly whats a tax disc?.....

noob-saibot
25-11-08, 07:53 PM

+3 i think. Although a cut out full colour copy goes in the holder and the original stays at home ;)

vilguy
25-11-08, 07:55 PM
Cop says 'Do you realise you were exceeding the speed limit sir? Oh and isn't that a very loud exhaust, and look isn't that numberplate illegaly small and surprise, surprise you don't appear to be displaying a valid tax disc. Do you have insurance sir? Does the bike have an MOT sir?"

Get the picture? ;)

well the insurance is also on a database which they can check instantly, along with the mot. Hence why you can tax your vehicle online now.

Aside from that - stupidly loud exhaust - just gets you pulled and gets on your nerves after a few hundred miles

small numberplate - just attracts the rozers... whats the point.. and it just makes it more difficult at mot time.

as for the speed limit.... well thats a tough one... but my usual excuse is to not plead guilty to anything! always be polite as hell and then say things like... my apologies if my speed crept over the speed limit officer... i must have been to busy looking where i was going and avoiding hazards and my speed must have crept up...... got me out of many a jam. :)

Dangerous Dave
25-11-08, 07:55 PM
just a quick question whats a tax disc holder?
http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/inter-bikeshop/admin/images/accessories/tax01.jpg

importantly whats a tax disc?.....
http://www.plates4less.co.uk/images/public/forms/large/taxDisc.jpg

The tax we pay twice for, one for every vehicle and then again everytime we buy petrol as the tax on that is partly classified a road fund tax.

vzzzbuxt
25-11-08, 07:59 PM
http://www.plates4less.co.uk/images/public/forms/large/taxDisc.jpg

The tax we pay twice for, one for every vehicle and then again everytime we buy petrol as the tax on that is partly classified a road fund tax.

oh sweet, do you reckon its a cood performance add on? i was thinking about buying one,.... though i decided against it due the the drag and extra weight effects it may have on my bike!:smt120

dizzyblonde
25-11-08, 08:07 PM
Don't forget if you get one the old fashioned way from the Post Office...it clearly states that your rocket..I mean motorbike..is really a bicycle ;-)

MR UKI (1)
25-11-08, 08:17 PM
got fed up of replacing the tax disc and holder so i keep it in my wallet now

+1. No probs in the 4 years i have been doing so.

Frank
25-11-08, 08:44 PM
left hand side of windscreen

Lozzo
25-11-08, 08:51 PM
Don't forget if you get one the old fashioned way from the Post Office...it clearly states that your rocket..I mean motorbike..is really a bicycle ;-)

I use bicycle lanes where I can. I'm waiting to be nicked for it and then I shall point at my tax disc and tell them to prosecute me if they feel they have to or can.

My tax disc holder is mounted off the lower front caliper mounting bolt on the left side. It's one of the Motrax hexaonal types and I fitted stainless steel screws and nuts to it to make it less likely to corrode.

arcdef
25-11-08, 10:12 PM
like the idea about a copy, may have to do that, mounted it on the chain guard now :)

cheers for all the advice guys!

DarrenSV650S
25-11-08, 10:15 PM
Is there any tax disc holders that don't rust at the first sign of water. And that actually keep the disc dry?
I'm getting sick of the crappy things

arcdef
25-11-08, 10:17 PM
i got a 1.99 job today and its all plastic so shouldnt rust!! dunno about the water yet though!

Grinch
25-11-08, 10:18 PM
In my wallet... :-)

dizzyblonde
25-11-08, 10:30 PM
Is there any tax disc holders that don't rust at the first sign of water. And that actually keep the disc dry?

the ones like dangerous dave posted, are probably not much different to the one on Suzy. Its got tiny allen bolts on the front and a nut on the back, they don't leak to my knowledge, can still read mine after 12 months, and because I attach it to the pillion peg mount its the furthest away from anything thrown off the road, unlike the front wheel or the chain guard.

Lozzo
25-11-08, 10:59 PM
the ones like dangerous dave posted, are probably not much different to the one on Suzy. Its got tiny allen bolts on the front and a nut on the back, they don't leak to my knowledge, can still read mine after 12 months, and because I attach it to the pillion peg mount its the furthest away from anything thrown off the road, unlike the front wheel or the chain guard.

Mine's mounted up front with stainless screws and hasn't corroded or leaked water

petevtwin650
25-11-08, 11:14 PM
We were having a discussion with some other bikers at the weekend and one of the one guys reckoned that the disc had to be in a forward position. Same as a car licence has to be in the front screen and not placed on a side or rear window.

Under the seat for me although the Welsh cop did suggest that Lissa buy me a yellow tax disc holder for Xmas.:D

dizzyblonde
25-11-08, 11:22 PM
one of the one guys reckoned that the disc had to be in a forward position. Same as a car licence has to be in the front screen ..Under the seat for me although the Welsh cop did suggest that Lissa buy me a yellow tax disc holder for Xmas.:D

How on earth would you be able to put it in a forward position:confused:

colour co-ordination, yes i agree:cool:

DarrenSV650S
25-11-08, 11:24 PM
That's the type of thing I've been using. Been through a few of them. The screws rust and the thing leaks even when I'm just washing the bike. I have mine on the pillion peg bolt

Stu
26-11-08, 12:08 AM
The "letter of the law" is that it's supposed to be to the front of the engine on the Left Hand Side (hence it being mounted on the LHS of the rad on new bits). This is, quite rightly IMO, not enforced as things like fairings get in the way on modern bikes. I put mine on the back of the LHS pillion pegs mount, next to the subframe. Reasons being its both comparatively very crash proof and easily visible on the left hand (eg pavement) side so the police would have to be real jobsworths to have a problem with it.
You Sir! are utterly and completely wrong!!

:D only joking but you are wrong those extra rules don't apply to motorbikes

Stu
26-11-08, 12:09 AM
yeah was thinking about that, what happens if it disappears? you have to fork out for more tax?
No, just about £7 for a replacement disc

Stu
26-11-08, 12:16 AM
My tax disc holder is mounted off the lower front caliper mounting bolt on the left side. .
you disappoint me, your rebel status has been revoked :smt012

Stig
26-11-08, 04:20 AM
In my pocket

dirtydog
26-11-08, 08:43 AM
In the filing cabinet at home with the other bikes tax and documents. I haven't displayed a tax disc on the bike for a couple of years now in fact I still have the tax from 2007 under the seat on the SV.

As for where it should be mounted I believe that it should be on the left towards the front of the bike

Ceri JC
26-11-08, 10:53 AM

They're stupidly over-engineered and it's time consuming/fiddly to change the tax disc, but the carbon fibre ones of these:
http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/inter-bikeshop/default.asp?numperpage=1&images=on&display=full&categoryid=298&searchstr=TCB-R&itemname=Motrax%CArbon/Ally%Tax%Disc%Holder%with%O%Ring%(Motorcycle%Tax%D isc%Holder)
Don't leak, are well built, weigh nowt and tick the "tart's carbon" box.

Ceri JC
26-11-08, 11:08 AM
You Sir! are utterly and completely wrong!!

:D only joking but you are wrong those extra rules don't apply to motorbikes

No, I'm not. It does have to be displayed on the kerb side,

"If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle."

from: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514

If by "extra rules" you mean, 'in front of the engine' (and if so, then why the plural 'rules'?), then perhaps. I can't find anything officially revoking the old requirement for it needing to be in front of the engine, conversely, I can't find anything confirming that this is still the case. If you find something either way, I'd be interested.

As I said, this point doesn't really matter as I've never experienced, or even anecdotally heard of anyone being told off for not displaying a tax disc, when the tax disc is where I described. :)

Dangerous Dave
26-11-08, 11:57 AM
I have a carbon fibre one like this....

http://www.motorcycleworldl-spa.co.uk/images/uploads/Carbon_Fibre_Tax_Disc_Holder.jpg

...which has a rubber o-ring which stops water getting through, comes with stainless bolts and nuts too.

oh sweet, do you reckon its a cood performance add on? i was thinking about buying one,.... though i decided against it due the the drag and extra weight effects it may have on my bike!:smt120
It costs £66 so it will add a minimum of 15bhp which will easily overcome any drag fitting one would cause. This is the logic of some members on here... ;)

STRAMASHER
26-11-08, 12:11 PM
I have that carbon one in stainless steel*.

Even though it COSTS me 15bhp, cos of the added weight on the chain guard , it does give me extra ballast for low, metre long wheelies. Waterproof, shiney AND aerodynamic.

Very nice.

(*Not SV.Too heavy to put on a SV)

Stu
26-11-08, 06:56 PM
No, I'm not. It does have to be displayed on the kerb side,

"If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle."

from: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514

If by "extra rules" you mean, 'in front of the engine' (and if so, then why the plural 'rules'?), then perhaps. I can't find anything officially revoking the old requirement for it needing to be in front of the engine, conversely, I can't find anything confirming that this is still the case. If you find something either way, I'd be interested.

As I said, this point doesn't really matter as I've never experienced, or even anecdotally heard of anyone being told off for not displaying a tax disc, when the tax disc is where I described. :)

There is a legal requirement as set out in Reg.6 of The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002, as set out below.

Exhibition of vehicle and nil licences
6. - (1) When a vehicle licence or nil licence has been delivered to the Secretary of State with an application for a replacement licence, no licence need be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle to which the licence relates until the replacement licence is obtained.

(2) Except where paragraph (1) applies, the manner in which any vehicle licence or nil licence in force for a vehicle is to be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in accordance with the provisions of section 33(1) or (1A) of the 1994 Act, when it is used or kept on a public road, is that specified in the following provisions of this regulation.

(3) Each such licence shall be fixed to the vehicle in a holder sufficient to protect the licence from the weather to which it would otherwise be exposed.

(4) The licence shall be exhibited on the vehicle -

a) in the case of an invalid vehicle, tricycle or bicycle, other than in a case specified in sub-paragraph, (b, or c] of this paragraph, on the near side of the vehicle;

b,) in the case of a bicycle drawing a side-car or to which a side-car is attached, on the near side of the handlebars of the bicycle or on the near side of the side-car;

c) in the case of any vehicle fitted with a glass windscreen in front of the driver extending across the vehicle to its near side, on or adjacent to the near side of the windscreen;

(d) in the case of any other vehicle -

(i) if the vehicle is fitted with a driver's cab containing a near side window, on that window; or

(ii) on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver's seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road.

(5) In each case referred to in paragraph (4), the licence shall be so exhibited that all the particulars on the licence are clearly visible in daylight from the near side of the road.

If by "extra rules" you mean, 'in front of the engine' (and if so, then why the plural 'rules'?), yes I did mean 'in front of the engine' & I used plural because I was also thinking of the height requirement that I used to think applied (the red bit above). But the only requirement I know of is the blue bit above (the red desn't apply to bikes. Never heard of an in front of the engine requirement, only in front of the driver's seat (which doesn't apply to bikes :D)

AmigaNut
26-11-08, 08:03 PM

The oxford ones with the security screws are made from stainless and have a seal.

Mine never gets damp in those. :sunny:

sv_rider1990
26-11-08, 08:14 PM
The oxford ones with the security screws are made from stainless and have a seal.

Mine never gets damp in those. :sunny:

them oxford ones slow your bike down by 20 bhp poor choice, poor choice.... should have got that carbon fibre one DD's got only lose 15bhp lol!!!;)

Daywalker
30-11-08, 05:57 PM
On the near side fork leg where it bolts to the front fender, and the tax disc is a colour copy so if any low life scum nick it iv'e got the original one back home. :cool:

sv-robo
30-11-08, 06:53 PM
Here....
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/sv-robo/Captured2008-9-2000011-1.jpg

aarond
30-11-08, 09:15 PM
here

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/ad53ggz/IMG_1244.jpg

yorkie_chris
30-11-08, 09:28 PM
Nice bike :-)

dizzyblonde
30-11-08, 09:38 PM
Thought it were yours at first glance...lol

yorkie_chris
30-11-08, 09:39 PM
Way to clean to be my back wheel that.

aarond
30-11-08, 09:42 PM
lol that its quite clean for me

dizzyblonde
30-11-08, 09:46 PM
dead giveaway is YCs chain is immaculate compared to yours ;-)
the rest is just as mucky!

aarond
30-11-08, 09:47 PM
ah after that pic have just cleaned and lubed my chain ( reason for the paddock stand!)

yorkie_chris
30-11-08, 09:48 PM
I just put a scottoiler on and keep pouring oil into it. Chain is still on sprockets so must work.

aarond
30-11-08, 09:49 PM
I just put a scottoiler on and keep pouring oil into it. Chain is still on sprockets so must work.

getting one for christmas!:D

Lozzo
01-12-08, 12:45 AM
you disappoint me, your rebel status has been revoked :smt012

I rode for years without tax. My reasoning behind this was they didn't ever fix the roads, so why should I pay road tax.

Nowadays my bikes are always MOTd, taxed and insured. The bikes themselves may not comply with the law in every respect, but the paperwork is always in order.