PDA

View Full Version : What to do!!!

KnightRider
28-11-08, 12:13 PM
My insurance company wont insure me with a non BS marked street can on the back? Do I just tell them that it is a non OEM legal can or sell it on and get something different?

DRAT DOUBLE DRAT

Stig
28-11-08, 01:42 PM
WTF.

Is it road legal or not? Does it enhance performance or not?

Who are your insurers? Bunch of idiots.

KnightRider
28-11-08, 02:27 PM
The can isnt road legal. But neither is any other can when the baffles get removed

KnightRider
28-11-08, 02:28 PM
gives me a whopping 1.5hp increase

G
28-11-08, 02:41 PM
How damn picky is that, My insurers couldnt give a crap when I told them. :confused:

Stig
28-11-08, 03:06 PM
how long into the insurance year are you? I would contemplate running it to the end, switching company / broker and then fit the can.

Actually, I'd just not declare it and fit it anyway. Get to the end of the insurance year and switch then. But that's just me.

Warthog
28-11-08, 04:18 PM
If you buy a non-road legal can surely that is to be expected, no?!?

SoulKiss
28-11-08, 04:29 PM
Why are you complaining that your insurer wont insure a non road-legal bike for use on the road?

Stig
28-11-08, 04:33 PM
If you buy a non-road legal can surely that is to be expected, no?!?

Why are you complaining that your insurer wont insure a non road-legal bike for use on the road?

Mine have :!:

I have a letter from them proving it.

KnightRider
28-11-08, 04:53 PM

I am assuming therefore that you leave the baffle in on your bike? If you take it out you are technically riding a bike with a non-legal exhaust. Does this effect your riding?

Naturally I could see their point if they charged me a little extra as people with race cans on their bike are likely to be higher risk - in fact that is what I expected. However, just cause the bike make more noise than legally permitted I am not sure why they should be the ones enforcing the rules!

SoulKiss
28-11-08, 05:01 PM
I am assuming therefore that you leave the baffle in on your bike? If you take it out you are technically riding a bike with a non-legal exhaust. Does this effect your riding?

Naturally I could see their point if they charged me a little extra as people with race cans on their bike are likely to be higher risk - in fact that is what I expected. However, just cause the bike make more noise than legally permitted I am not sure why they should be the ones enforcing the rules!

Think about it.

If they KNOW then they have to say no.

My can that was ridden baffle-less WAS road-legal with the baffle in, therefor it could be insured as road-legal - when I removed the baffle - well I didnt phone them and tell them (and actually I tended to put the baffle in as it sounded pretty much the same either way.

I am not saying you are wrong to WANT to ride you bike the way you want to.

What you did is the same as a 17yo going into the off-license, saying "Hi, its my 17th birthday today, I am planning a party, can I have 5 bottles of Vodka please".

Using the same analogy, BigApe went to a different offy, looked over 18 and didn't get ID'd

Stig
28-11-08, 05:06 PM
I called them and specifically told them it was a race use only exhaust. They said whatever, don't care. So I asked them to put that in writing, which they duly did. :cool:

zsv650
28-11-08, 05:10 PM
tbh if a can says not for road use that's pritty much what it means and the insurance company arnt wrong to tell you no to insuring you for a non road legal vehicle.

SoulKiss
I called them and specifically told them it was a race use only exhaust. They said whatever, don't care. So I asked them to put that in writing, which they duly did. :cool:

Ok amendmend

BA went to the offy that everyone knows would sell Vodka to a toddler as long as they had the cash and when this was pointed out they just said Meh!

FG1
At the end of the day, it is reasonable to expect an insurance company to refuse you insurance for use on the public highway if you are using an "illegal" exhaust.
I can appreciate the frustration knowing that the difference is minimal but at the end of the day if your bike is not "legal" then they are obliged to refuse you.
I am sure that there are a few little illegal things you do with your bike, visor and speed to name a couple. Why not just fit it and add another little thing to the illegalities????

Stig
28-11-08, 05:11 PM
Ok amendmend

BA went to the offy that everyone knows would sell Vodka to a toddler as long as they had the cash and when this was pointed out they just said Meh!

Better. :lol:

KnightRider
28-11-08, 05:35 PM
At the end of the day, it is reasonable to expect an insurance company to refuse you insurance for use on the public highway if you are using an "illegal" exhaust.
I can appreciate the frustration knowing that the difference is minimal but at the end of the day if your bike is not "legal" then they are obliged to refuse you.
I am sure that there are a few little illegal things you do with your bike, visor and speed to name a couple. Why not just fit it and add another little thing to the illegalities????

I'll tell them that I have a non-OEM exhaust that is street legal and claim ignorance.

DanAbnormal
28-11-08, 09:12 PM
Ok amendmend

Heheh. Classic.

ogden
29-11-08, 12:56 PM
I'll tell them that I have a non-OEM exhaust that is street legal and claim ignorance.

Didn't we cover this a week or so ago?

Some insurers hate race rans. Some insurers hate pretty much any modification. Some insurers don't give a monkeys.

Decide which is more important to you - valid insurance or a cosmetic enhancement to the bike. If it's the insurance, either leave the can off or change insurers. If it's the cosmetic change, change insurers.

*Wny* are you bothering to change the exhaust in the first place, if the power increase is a measly 1.5hp and it causes all this hassle?

KnightRider
29-11-08, 07:07 PM
Didn't we cover this a week or so ago?

Some insurers hate race rans. Some insurers hate pretty much any modification. Some insurers don't give a monkeys.

Decide which is more important to you - valid insurance or a cosmetic enhancement to the bike. If it's the insurance, either leave the can off or change insurers. If it's the cosmetic change, change insurers.

*Wny* are you bothering to change the exhaust in the first place, if the power increase is a measly 1.5hp and it causes all this hassle?

I know you are a horse power lover but that isnt the be all and end all. Firstly the Yoshi is lighter, second it sounds better, third it smooths out the power curve and although you dont get a large increase overall the power response is smoother. Finally and overiding all the other points is...because I want to.

I'm not changing insurers because of this so will change the can and tell the insurers that it is legal but it does increase performance and be done with it. If the worst happens and they want to argue that the volume of the zaust caused an accident then they are free to try. Frankly I think that will be a tough sell.

ogden
29-11-08, 08:03 PM
Only yesterday morning, in another thread, you told someone to notify their insurers of a change of exhaust.

If you're going to tell porkies about what you're fitting, why bother notifying them at all?

Blackjack
29-11-08, 10:24 PM
Jon..........Putting on my TVP hat , if you get stopped with a non BS stamped can, you will get a fine and Three points. Also Plod could argue that as you are in technical breach of insurance conditions,you are uninsured which puts you in a world of merde

k

KnightRider
29-11-08, 11:47 PM
Need to get the old thinking cap on. I guess worst case I could hang on until the weather warms up and flog it on and make a bit of a profit.

Seems like everything is gearing me against putting the zaust on. Started removing the tail this morning but the weather was so cold I had to give up.

DanAbnormal
30-11-08, 12:35 AM
Need to get the old thinking cap on. I guess worst case I could hang on until the weather warms up and flog it on and make a bit of a profit.

Seems like everything is gearing me against putting the zaust on. Started removing the tail this morning but the weather was so cold I had to give up.

Or......wait until you change insurers and go with one that will allow mods. I can recommend Carole Nash or ebike.

KnightRider
30-11-08, 12:57 AM
Or......wait until you change insurers and go with one that will allow mods. I can recommend Carole Nash or ebike.

Possibly, but both of those quoted me a price over £1000 greater than what Express Insurance quoted me!

ogden
30-11-08, 12:58 AM
Come renewal time, ring around. I've found Motorcycle Direct or H&R to be excellent every time. There'll be someone who'll give you a reasonable quote with a race can.

walkaboutandy
30-11-08, 02:11 PM
Come renewal time, ring around. I've found Motorcycle Direct or H&R to be excellent every time. There'll be someone who'll give you a reasonable quote with a race can.
+1

I'm with motorcycle direct. They asked me if my can was kite marked (BS) and I said no, but then it doesn't say 'not for road use' and it passes an MOT so it must be road legal. They then say OK. Job done!