PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a ride this week

KnightRider
29-12-08, 01:33 PM
The weather is cold but reasonably dry and having got an Xbox 360 with Moto GP for xmas I am desperate to get out and play with the bike.

Anyone else got the bug?

Stig
29-12-08, 01:52 PM
I'm off out tomorrow as it happens but will be on the Dullsville (if it starts) as the SV is well and truly off the road. Not only have I got electrical issues, the fork seal blew last time I was out. I thought it felt vague at the front but put it down to the slippery surface. :oops: I will mostly going shopping for fork seal parts. Interesting. Not.

Warthog
29-12-08, 03:27 PM
its in the minuses for the next few days, I am afraid I am staying indoors to nurse my cold with a whisky. Stay safe out there.

tonyk
29-12-08, 11:57 PM
jon,
I went to the Pied Bull on boxing day, didnt know any one there,
so it was a ride there n back...:smt104
if you want company, how's this wednesday ?
yea why not this wed, short ride from shire to fox's,
any where ..............

KnightRider
30-12-08, 01:00 AM
Weds sounds good. Went for a ride today and it was horrid. I forgot that the weather is so cold that I couldn't get any warmth into the tyres and as a result I had no grip. Am now apprehensive about going on a proper ride if the weather doesn't warm a tad.

I need to go to Saeed (Devil Biccy's) house to pick up my tent and sleeping bag so I might just take a gentle ride to his place if he is in?

tonyk
30-12-08, 04:04 AM
yeah.
a tad cold yeah.......
could be this month.....
well it is december and it is winter you know.

oh well i'll be doing the shire to fox's via thame,
yep your right, the tyres never get hot or even warm but thats the way
it is.......winter = cold ....

when i get bored silly sitting at home, i go for a ride.....
3 factors
1/ rain
2/ snow
3/ ice
apart from them i'll be out......see you around jon, when the weather is warmer.........

tonyk
30-12-08, 05:45 AM
oh well,
it's the thought that counts i spose..:smt104

tonyk
30-12-08, 06:06 AM
oh well never mind,
it was a good idea.......may be in the summer...i spose.:smt104

DanAbnormal
30-12-08, 10:16 AM
It's way too cold to be riding for fun at the moment so I'll get back to you in Spring! My fingers are still frozen from this mornings commute. :mad:

KnightRider
30-12-08, 03:39 PM
I am going to go to Saeed's tomorrow and will be aiming to get there at 11-11.30. Anyone welcome to join.

Jon

Stig
30-12-08, 03:51 PM
I went for a ride today. Was nice. Blast all the way down the A4 and back. Was going to be on the Honda but it decided it didn't want to play so ended up chucking all the wiring back together and taking the SV.

Fed up with the electrics cutting out all the time though. Grrrr.

Now have replacement fork seals and dust covers. Anyone guess what I will be doing tomorrow?

JustATrick
30-12-08, 09:34 PM
I am going to go to Saeed's tomorrow and will be aiming to get there at 11-11.30. Anyone welcome to join.

Poking around your map of members, I guess this means Maidenhead -> Tring. I could be up for that, provided I can drag myself out of bed early enough. When would you be leaving Maidenhead, and where could we meet? Coming from Abingdon, I'd need somewhere warm to get the feeling back in my fingers before heading off again.

(I had a run down to the Shire Horse today, just to check I could find the place. At the bar, I talked to a smart old gimmer with no front teeth and a Suzuki watch strap. He told me, amongst other things, that: 1. British Superbike will struggle for the next few years (recession, don't you know); 2. The SV is a girl's bike; 3. If I'm going to crash, try and put the bike down lowside and separate myself from it; 4. Bikes will be banned from the roads by 2020. I saw no reason to doubt him :-))

Mick

Stig
30-12-08, 09:40 PM
Hi Mick.

I hope you didn't wander down there today expecting to see any of us. We were not there. :lol:

Two weeks time will be the next meet. It sounds like you bumped into one of the Bandit owners but I am sure they only come out in the summer. :confused:

I wont be riding anywhere unless I can get this damn SV fixed.

JustATrick
30-12-08, 10:13 PM
I hope you didn't wander down there today expecting to see any of us. We were not there. :lol:

No, no, I realised there'd be no-one there. The last couple of days I'd been wandering aimlessly, so it was good to have a place to aim for.

Two weeks time will be the next meet.

I was freezing cold as I arrived home at 4:15pm, with the sun going down. I did start to doubt whether I'd make the same trip on an even colder, darker Tuesday evening... but you never know.

It sounds like you bumped into one of the Bandit owners but I am sure they only come out in the summer. :confused:

:-) He said he doesn't ride anymore, except as pillion on his brother's 'busa.

Shame. What's up with it - you mentioned electrics? Sounds frustrating...

Stig
31-12-08, 09:15 AM
Well, you never know Mick, in a couple of weeks time we could already be into the hottest summer ever that is predicted. Pah!

Was this gentleman you were talking to still p*ssed from Christmas? :lol:

Electrics, yes nightmare. I have a pointy clock morphed on to my curvy bike. Used to work. I messed with it, now it doesn't. Hey ho!.

DanAbnormal
31-12-08, 10:41 AM
Shame. What's up with it

It's a Suzuki.

Here rests my case. ;)

KnightRider
31-12-08, 01:40 PM
My goodness was that cold.

Nice to meet you Mick. Sorry the ride was so rubbish, the cold weather was absolutely rotten! Hopefully future rides you come on will be like that except with the warmth of the sun beating down on you!

JustATrick
31-12-08, 04:19 PM
Yeah, thanks Jon, and to Saeed for the tea and hospitality. I'll agree that it was cold, but not that it was rubbish - I had a great time, particularly on the run back. It was good to sit behind and see how it should be done.

It seems I need to develop a new attitude to speed. You see, when driving the cage, I took some pride in never intentionally (we all make mistakes) exceeding a speed limit. Since getting the bike I might've already strayed more than I'd have allowed myself in the car. This morning I might have strayed a bit further (peer pressure, 'tis a terrible thing, and for a man nearing his 30s :-)), and came away grinning, so I'm having to re-evaluate. Maybe it'll become clear after several beers.

On the way back there were a couple of bends that previously I'd taken so slowly that I worried I was holding up traffic. It didn't seem an issue this afternoon...

Oh, and thanks for the advice: I've got ACF-50 ordered, and I'll toddle off to pick up a back protector later this week.

DanAbnormal
31-12-08, 06:25 PM
To be honest in this weather it's better to err on the side of caution. I had an off in November riding in a perfectly straight line, as did Ape I think. The weather will be with us in a few months for kneedown sillyness once again! :cheers:

Stig
31-12-08, 08:56 PM
To be honest in this weather it's better to err on the side of caution. I had an off in November riding in a perfectly straight line, as did Ape I think. The weather will be with us in a few months for kneedown sillyness once again! :cheers:

FFS you don't have to tell everyone. :roll:

True though, lost the front going in a straight line doing a constant speed. You just can never tell in sub zero temperatures. :roll: At the moment this is not an issue for me. Seeing as I do not currently have a working motorcycle. :(

KnightRider
31-12-08, 10:01 PM
Today was particularly difficult as the roads were slippy and greasy, there was no sun so nothing dried out and it was so cold that the tyres wouldn't warm up. Just go at your own pace and play it safe. I thought I would slow a tad on the way back so you had someone to follow, although I may have sneaked off a few times for some throttle action!

To be honest you will find that you will improve substantially over the next few months as your confidence will grow with the grip. Just be extra cautious of moist days where the sun has dried out most of the tarmac but has left the shaded areas wet and slippery - that always catches me out!

My policy on the speed thing - on open country roads or dual carrigeways/motorways I go at what I consider to be a safe speed given the conditions. In built up areas I try not to break the rules and therefore ride much slower.

ogden
02-01-09, 09:56 AM

Skip it.

You Know It Makes Sense.

DanAbnormal
02-01-09, 11:20 AM
Just be extra cautious of moist days where the sun has dried out most of the tarmac but has left the shaded areas wet and slippery - that always catches me out!

The roadcraft book refers to these as 'micro climates'. I fell asleep for the rest of the book though! ;)

And Ape, you are always falling off eh? I reckon it's all those wheelies. :mrgreen:

Stig
04-01-09, 05:39 PM
Skip it.

You Know It Makes Sense.

If you want to provide a motorcycle substitute free of charge that produces the same amount of fun factor I get out of it, I will.

And Ape, you are always falling off eh? I reckon it's all those wheelies. :mrgreen:

You know nothing young man.

ogden
04-01-09, 08:45 PM
If you want to provide a motorcycle substitute free of charge that produces the same amount of fun factor I get out of it, I will.

Just what amount of fun factor *do* you get out of a non-running bike?

Stig
04-01-09, 10:14 PM
Just what amount of fun factor *do* you get out of a non-running bike?

Very good point. Well made.

The truth is, I can go outside right now and start it up no problem should I choose to.

The issue I have is that If I then decide to go anywhere, I can't have my lights on (I loose all electrics) and if I turn it off, it wont start again.

So it is a runner. Sort of.