PDA

View Full Version : Newbie says hello

JustATrick
29-12-08, 10:11 PM
Hi All,

I've been lurking, and digging in the archives for newbie advice, for about a month now, so thought I'd say hello. Got my first bike, a yellow naked curvy ('02) about three weeks ago: first time on a bike was 1st Nov, when I did CBT 'just to see if I'll like it' - I did :-).

I'm in Abingdon, and plan to make it to a Shire Horse meet in the not too distant future, so hopefully see some of you there. In the meantime, I'll be out riding most days this week - nodding over-enthusiastically at anything on two wheels...

KnightRider, if you don't mind a very slow newbie tagging along (and I won't be offended if you do mind), I'd turn up for a ride.

Cheers,

Mick

tonyk
30-12-08, 12:01 AM
welcome to the TVSF tribe,
dont worry too much about how slow you are, you havent seen us ride...
139 mph on the straights..........................5 mph around the bends.....
see you soon on the meets..

flibble
30-12-08, 06:49 PM
howdy.. :smt039

kat_s1
30-12-08, 10:16 PM
helooo

:smt006

Foxy
30-12-08, 11:04 PM
Hellooooooo and welcome :D

KnightRider
31-12-08, 12:35 AM
Hi All,

I've been lurking, and digging in the archives for newbie advice, for about a month now, so thought I'd say hello. Got my first bike, a yellow naked curvy ('02) about three weeks ago: first time on a bike was 1st Nov, when I did CBT 'just to see if I'll like it' - I did :-).

I'm in Abingdon, and plan to make it to a Shire Horse meet in the not too distant future, so hopefully see some of you there. In the meantime, I'll be out riding most days this week - nodding over-enthusiastically at anything on two wheels...

KnightRider, if you don't mind a very slow newbie tagging along (and I won't be offended if you do mind), I'd turn up for a ride.

Cheers,

Mick

You got mail!

Welcome to the forum buddy. As others have said dont worry about speed at all. We all have a varying ability and we all ride to our own speeds (the faster guys just wait for the others to catch up). Personally I dont mind hammering it down the straights but am a wimp round the corners.

The only advice I can give you is:
- always ride well within your limits
- never get tempted to "keep up"
- watch this cold weather as your tyres wont warm properly and the roads are full of deadly ice.

Warthog
31-12-08, 01:10 PM
Welcome mate! Me and Philbut are in Oxford, so not too far away from you. When the meets get back going again we can swing past yours on the way down to the shire if you like. Bit nippy at the moment though...

KnightRider
31-12-08, 01:43 PM
Welcome mate! Me and Philbut are in Oxford, so not too far away from you. When the meets get back going again we can swing past yours on the way down to the shire if you like. Bit nippy at the moment though...

Lightwieghts! Mick and I braved it and .... erm ..... well ..... wished we were back in bed or in front of a hot fire!

JustATrick
31-12-08, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, all.

KnightRider mentioned you might be willing to do that - sounds good.

DanAbnormal
31-12-08, 06:23 PM
Howdy and welcome!

philbut
31-12-08, 07:34 PM
Lightwieghts! Mick and I braved it and .... erm ..... well ..... wished we were back in bed or in front of a hot fire!

Pah, I've done almost 600 miles so far since christmas lightweight my bum! ;-)

Good to have you on board mate. Nice one for sticking with the bike through this weather - I passed in November too, and rode all through that winter - you'll be glad when the good weather comes and you have a good load of experience so you can go and really start enjoying the bike.

Look forward to meeting you at the next meet.

KnightRider
31-12-08, 09:44 PM
Pah, I've done almost 600 miles so far since christmas lightweight my bum! ;-)

Good to have you on board mate. Nice one for sticking with the bike through this weather - I passed in November too, and rode all through that winter - you'll be glad when the good weather comes and you have a good load of experience so you can go and really start enjoying the bike.

Look forward to meeting you at the next meet.

Meh!

ogden
02-01-09, 09:55 AM
The only advice I can give you is:
- always ride well within your limits
- never get tempted to "keep up"

Disregard the above. Jon clearly knows nothing.

Always ride with someone slightly faster than you. Your limits are higher than you realise and it's the best way to get quicker. Riding like a mofo to catch up is one of life's great pleasures.

DanAbnormal
02-01-09, 11:23 AM
Always ride with someone slightly faster than you.

He has got an SV................therfore EVERYONE will be faster.

Tee hee! :p

ogden
02-01-09, 11:30 AM
He has got an SV................therfore EVERYONE will be faster.

I said *slightly* faster. So for someone on an SV that might be, oh, I dunno, a C90 or something.

DanAbnormal
02-01-09, 11:54 AM
I said *slightly* faster. So for someone on an SV that might be, oh, I dunno, a C90 or something.

I think you are being a bit generous here tbh. :p

tonyk
02-01-09, 12:58 PM
i'm trying to work something out here guys...
please help.
people have NOT got a SV bike...
but
put's down SV bike's on a SV forum...
doh....
am i missing something or what... :smt104

JustATrick
02-01-09, 01:27 PM

Maybe you just forgot to not take it too personally? :-)

JustATrick
02-01-09, 01:33 PM
Always ride with someone slightly faster than you. Your limits are higher than you realise and it's the best way to get quicker. Riding like a mofo to catch up is one of life's great pleasures.

That's a frighteningly well-balanced mixture of truth and mischief. Were you a bully at school? :-)

ogden
02-01-09, 01:59 PM
please help.
but
doh....

I could understand your point if we hadn't *had* SVs. But we have. And now we don't. QED.

DanAbnormal
02-01-09, 02:42 PM
please help.
but
doh....

Because it's no secret that the SV is a starter bike and eventually we all progress onto something quicker like a Vespa. :mrgreen:

tonyk
02-01-09, 02:43 PM
:smt115 should'nt you be on a gixer forum...or a vaspa forum.
if you dont like SV's then why are you even here.....:smt104

NO dont answer that...
i'll walk away...........

ogden
02-01-09, 02:49 PM
:smt115 should'nt you be on a gixer forum...or a vaspa forum.

A quick glance at the main forum index shows only three (SV Talk, For Sale, Stuff Wanted) that are specifically SV-related. To quote the T&Cs in the FAQ section: "We are most happy to have members from all walks of the biking community, not just SVs"

Besides, we *are* talking about SVs here, so it's arguably on-topic. There are a thousand other people here who'll tell you how brilliant SVs are. Surely a couple of dissenting voices among those can't trouble you too much?

tonyk
02-01-09, 02:51 PM
I was just reading the other subjects on this forum, most if not all actually like SV's.................
oh yea thats because its a SV site...:cheers:

oh well never mind...
i see your point.....somewhere.

DanAbnormal
02-01-09, 03:57 PM
Hehe, I don't own a Vespa or Gixxer. SV bashing is a new sport, quite fun. ;)

ogden
02-01-09, 04:03 PM
Hehe, I don't own a Vespa or Gixxer. SV bashing is a new sport, quite fun. ;)

Those in Honda-owning houses shouldn't really throw rocks.

DanAbnormal
02-01-09, 04:15 PM
Those in Honda-owning houses shouldn't really throw rocks.

Rocks? I could always throw some Suzuki parts instead, they seem to fall off easily enough.

ogden
02-01-09, 04:29 PM
That's just character. You Honda-owning types wouldn't know it if it walked up and handed you a gold-embossed business card to announce its presence.

Gene genie
02-01-09, 09:55 PM
Reeto justatrick, i'm from up north so i'm having to shout. Hope you dont mind.

Warthog
04-01-09, 03:14 PM
I'm sure somewhere amongst this childish SV-bashing is a thread welcoming JustaTrick :-P

TonyK, don't get your knickers in a twist! You know Dan and Ogden (unfortunately :-P)

KnightRider
04-01-09, 05:12 PM
This is turning into a great fight!!!

Stig
04-01-09, 05:34 PM
Hi and welcome to both the site and TVSF.

The next Shire meet is on the 13th. See you there.

I hate Honda's and I hate SV's. That's why I have one of each. Just to remind myself how bad they really are. :)

JustATrick
04-01-09, 06:06 PM
The next Shire meet is on the 13th. See you there.

I'll be skiing that week, so will miss it. Will try and make the next one though.

Stig
04-01-09, 06:11 PM
:cool: Well it is every other week.

See you on the 27th then. :)

sv650nutter149
04-01-09, 10:29 PM
hello and welcome mate :)