PDA

View Full Version : IAM Advanced riding this weekend 18th Jan

Mark_h
16-01-09, 05:57 PM
I accept it's not for everyone and I'll not go on about it, but several people were interested last year so thought that as the weather has warmed up a bit I'd mention it.

This Sunday is the third Sunday of the month so the TVAM IAM club is open for anyone to turn up and see if they like it for free. You'll need to be at St.Crispins school, Wokingham at 09:00 Sunday with a tank full of fuel and a spare morning.

Particularly useless website with partially useful map can be found here. www.tvam.org

Pipe, slippers and lardy old touring bike will be allocated on arrival.

Drop me a PM if you want more details.

Cheers,
Mark

crewmanchris
16-01-09, 07:19 PM
sounds good but have you seen the forecast?! Will try to go anong later in the year!

Mark_h
16-01-09, 07:58 PM
Forecast shows Sunday to be the day after the rain on Saturday and before the hail on Monday. Cloudy with sunny bits according to the BBC.

Actually the worse the weather, the more you get to learn as
1. You don't feel you have to ride quick so can focus on technique.
2. Fewer riders turn up so you getter a better rider:observer ratio.

arcdef
16-01-09, 08:27 PM
what length of time should you have been riding for if you wanted to go along? ive ony been riding for a month or two so not sure if its worthwhile me going along?

ogden
16-01-09, 08:38 PM
what length of time should you have been riding for if you wanted to go along? ive ony been riding for a month or two so not sure if its worthwhile me going along?

30 to 40 years is the minimum, and you need to bring your own pipe and slippers. BMWs optional.

arcdef
16-01-09, 08:52 PM
30 to 40 years is the minimum, and you need to bring your own pipe and slippers. BMWs optional.

was hoping for a proper answer? dont care about reputation just want to get any advice possible :)

ogden
16-01-09, 09:01 PM
was hoping for a proper answer?

I know. :)

tonyk
16-01-09, 10:00 PM
Arcdef,
I went here last year…..There is no pressure into joining, so just turn up and get a free observed ride, plus free cup of tea…
There are a variety of riders with varied experiences, from month’s to years of riding……..
After your ride you get a debriefing stating on what parts you need to pay attention on ….
Its all cool stuff…
So don’t be intimidated in your lack of experience….
you’ve passed your test which IS a great achievement in it self….
Go for it…..

injury_ian
17-01-09, 12:05 AM
I was 24 when I joined, and I'd been riding a year, However, the sooner you start the less bad habits will have formed in your riding. (the less you have to re-learn etc)

Ie, join up as soon as you like, IAM is an on going thing, the test as actually quite a low standard, there is more to learn as you gain more experience.

Mark_h
17-01-09, 09:24 PM

Up to you. I've been out with one newbie who'd literally upgraded from his 125 to his full license the week before. Others have 40+ years and either keep scaring themselves, ridden with an advanced rider and liked what they saw or more often rode for 20 years 20 years ago, got back into it and want to get some confidence back. There is a right mixed bag and as long as you go in with an open mind and get allocated a decent observer you should get something out of it.

If you fancy it, just turn up and see what happens. Worse thing is you have a ride to Wokingham don't enjoy it and waste a morning.

There are three main camps.
1. Those that do it, get lots out of it and go evangelising to anyone who'll listen to the point it puts folk off.
2. Those that tried it and didn't like it.
3. By far the biggest group are those that have a strong view against it, are convinced it's full of beardy dullards and despite never actually trying it just tell everyone it's a waste of time.

Best to listen to groups 1&2 and make your own judgements about group 3 based on your experience of their general attitude to biking.

I think you've previously mentioned you are in Fleet. If you're up for it and your bike has some working brakes, feel free to meet up on the way in. That way you get to learn where the place is and someone will tell you what to do when you get there. Unless it's absolutely tipping it down I'll be meeting some others outside the estate agents between the two roundabouts in Hartley Whitney at about 08:30.

fat_brstd
19-01-09, 01:00 AM
go along if your in any doubt about it. Its friendly and nice. I decident i didnt want to carry on as it wasnt for me but one of the guys i work with absolutely loves it. To each there own. You can do worse things with your weekend

just noticed this is a day late, oh well. Always next month.

tonyk
19-01-09, 03:03 AM
so............
who went ?
was it any good ?
and the survey said ....:smt019
or :cheers:
please do tell..

arcdef
19-01-09, 09:26 AM
Didn't go this time as had no brakes :( was gutted aswell the weather couldn't have been any better!!!

So yeah who went and was it any good??

Dave20046
19-01-09, 09:47 AM
I accept it's not for everyone and I'll not go on about it, but several people were interested last year so thought that as the weather has warmed up a bit I'd mention it.

This Sunday is the third Sunday of the month so the TVAM IAM club is open for anyone to turn up and see if they like it for free. You'll need to be at St.Crispins school, Wokingham at 09:00 Sunday with a tank full of fuel and a spare morning.

Particularly useless website with partially useful map can be found here. www.tvam.org (http://www.tvam.org)

Pipe, slippers and lardy old touring bike will be allocated on arrival.

Drop me a PM if you want more details.

Cheers,
Mark
Quick question, if you're a member of the IAM is that it, full stop? Or do you have to be a member of the car IAM and a member of the motorcycle IAM to get your respective insurance discount and recognition of being an old man on each.
Sheffield IAM car group is one of the top performing in the UK :cool:

Mark_h
19-01-09, 10:16 AM
Quick question, if you're a member of the IAM is that it, full stop? Or do you have to be a member of the car IAM and a member of the motorcycle IAM to get your respective insurance discount and recognition of being an old man on each.
Sheffield IAM car group is one of the top performing in the UK :cool:

Depends on the insurer. Some take the fact that you have any IAM membership at all as indication that you are more likely to be a lower risk. Others will need the specific class (car, bike, HGV) before they apply discounts.

If you pass and become a member of IAM you have access to insurance products that are not necessarily available to non-members but I've not yet tried to get car discount leveraging my bike membership.

matt_rehm_hext
19-01-09, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone.

A friend of mine I know through scouting who is a member and has been riding bikes for years asked me if I'd like to come along to yesterday's meet, with the view to seeing how it is and then pass my advanced test. I went along as my riding(on my SV, compared to my CG125) is crap.

My observer was Mark h (starter of this thread) and we went out with another person. Before I went to TVAM I had no real confidence in how to take corners properly, and wasn't very good at sitting on the bike in the proper position.

During the ride, after discussing what I was doing wrong and trying the things Mark suggested, I found I was cornering at 50+mph (a bit throttle happy sometimes) with confidence and being in total control, where as before I would have been ****ting myself and braking hard in anticipation of (what would be for me) difficult corners.

So my opinion on TVAM is that it's a very good thing, the fact that the observers do what they do free of charge and the detailed analysis of your riding that you get afterwards is great. Can't believe how much I improved in just one morning.

Anyone that is unsure about going, don't worry, it's a good club and everyone's friendly. As for people branding it with things like "full of old men, people on tourer's" or anything like that, well it's not really like that.

Ok, so from what I saw, most of the people there are older than me, but I'm 21 so that would seem the case from my point of view, but thats not neccessarily a bad thing, the help you get from people who are experienced riders, for the small yearly fee is excellent.

Mark-Thanks for the help.

Matt

Stu
19-01-09, 06:37 PM
Didn't go ?
:cheers: Wey Hey - means I get to poach you for the Wey Valley IAM at Ripley - 1st Sunday of the month with an open evening classroom session beforehand on the last Tuesday of the month
http://www.wvam.org.uk/index.php?page=/index

arcdef
19-01-09, 06:59 PM
:cheers: Wey Hey - means I get to poach you for the Wey Valley IAM at Ripley - 1st Sunday of the month with an open evening classroom session beforehand on the last Tuesday of the month
http://www.wvam.org.uk/index.php?page=/index

lol or not as i have the advantage of being able to ride to the place with Mark_h as he lives in same town as me ;) seeing as my scene of direction isnt the best think this may win it for me!

Hi everyone.

A friend of mine I know through scouting who is a member and has been riding bikes for years asked me if I'd like to come along to yesterday's meet, with the view to seeing how it is and then pass my advanced test. I went along as my riding(on my SV, compared to my CG125) is crap.

My observer was Mark h (starter of this thread) and we went out with another person. Before I went to TVAM I had no real confidence in how to take corners properly, and wasn't very good at sitting on the bike in the proper position.

During the ride, after discussing what I was doing wrong and trying the things Mark suggested, I found I was cornering at 50+mph (a bit throttle happy sometimes) with confidence and being in total control, where as before I would have been ****ting myself and braking hard in anticipation of (what would be for me) difficult corners.

So my opinion on TVAM is that it's a very good thing, the fact that the observers do what they do free of charge and the detailed analysis of your riding that you get afterwards is great. Can't believe how much I improved in just one morning.

Anyone that is unsure about going, don't worry, it's a good club and everyone's friendly. As for people branding it with things like "full of old men, people on tourer's" or anything like that, well it's not really like that.

Ok, so from what I saw, most of the people there are older than me, but I'm 21 so that would seem the case from my point of view, but thats not neccessarily a bad thing, the help you get from people who are experienced riders, for the small yearly fee is excellent.

Mark-Thanks for the help.

Matt

sounds great mate, just like what i need really abit of direction to build some confidence and weather permiting i should make it along to the next one!

Mark_h
19-01-09, 07:22 PM
Hands off Stu. I spotted them first!

Matt,
Glad you enjoyed it. Next time we'll work on landing those wheelies a bit better as currently your wheelie to stoppie transition is a little messy.

Arcdef,
I think Matt has about the same big bike experience as you (couple of months) so I guess if he got something out if it, you may too. Also, nothing in theory to stop you doing the WVAM taster session on the first Sunday, then the TVAM taster on the third Sunday and deciding which you prefer. However I understand the WVAM lot have a bacon butty van to lure riders in which we are sadly lacking over at TVAM just tea, chocs and pit girls.

Messie
19-01-09, 07:43 PM
Sorry to butt in on this discussion, but MarkH, do you know of anything like this in the Essex/Colchester area?

Thanks

Stu
19-01-09, 07:54 PM
Sorry to butt in on this discussion, but MarkH, do you know of anything like this in the Essex/Colchester area?

Thanks
Easier to search if you have a postcode & then use http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroups/groupdirectory/
tick bikes!

Messie
19-01-09, 08:05 PM
:smt019
:mrgreen:

Just thought it would be easier to ask someone who knows, straight out!

:p

Mark_h
19-01-09, 10:21 PM

Thanks

http://www.cadam.org/

or any of these

http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroups/groupdirectory/eastenglandinclondonnorthofthethames/

Essex of Essex
20-01-09, 04:46 PM

Thanks

CADAM,meets second Tuesday of the month near to the Army and Navy roundabout in Chelmsford. Active social scene as well as the training, guest speakers on some club nights, rideouts, track training days at Cadwell (Martin Hopp Rider Training) Trips away, the next 2 to Scotland and Belgium.

Come along and say hello, it's like being at the Hawk but with more bikes:)

philbut
21-01-09, 12:30 PM
thanks for the head up on this one mark. Unfortunatly I missed it but I fully intend to give it a go at some point. I've been saying that for ages but Sundays are always either busy or hungover :-(

Can you let us know a little more in advance next time so I can put it in my calender? that would be great!

Cheers
Phil

Stig
21-01-09, 12:50 PM
thanks for the head up on this one mark. Unfortunatly I missed it but I fully intend to give it a go at some point. I've been saying that for ages but Sundays are always either busy or hungover :-(

Can you let us know a little more in advance next time so I can put it in my calender? that would be great!

Cheers
Phil

That has to be such a lame excuse. Dude you have world knowledge at your finger tips. I am sure with a very small measured amount of effort you could find that out all by yourself. :lol:

philbut
21-01-09, 02:21 PM
That has to be such a lame excuse. Dude you have world knowledge at your finger tips. I am sure with a very small measured amount of effort you could find that out all by yourself. :lol:

I'm lazy, how's that for an excuse :mrgreen:

Stig
21-01-09, 03:01 PM
I'm lazy, how's that for an excuse :mrgreen:

Now that sounds more like the Phil we know. :lol:

Mark_h
21-01-09, 03:42 PM

Cheers
Phil

Not sure how much notice you'll need, but it's always 3rd Sunday of the month so........

Feb 15th
March 15th
April 19th
May 17th
June 14th
July 19th
Aug 16th
Sept 20th
Oct 18th

I'll let you work out dates beyond that.

Third Sunday of the month, 09:00 St.Crispins School Wokingham. You + Bike + fuel + open mind. + credit card if you like it and want to join up.

philbut
21-01-09, 03:50 PM
cheers Mark

See Si, why use your initiative when some kind person will provide you with all the knowlage with no effort required! Just like dinner really, wait around long enough and someone is sure to leave some tasty looking mouthfulls ;-)

Messie
21-01-09, 05:10 PM
CADAM,meets second Tuesday of the month near to the Army and Navy roundabout in Chelmsford. Active social scene as well as the training, guest speakers on some club nights, rideouts, track training days at Cadwell (Martin Hopp Rider Training) Trips away, the next 2 to Scotland and Belgium.

Come along and say hello, it's like being at the Hawk but with more bikes:)

Is this known as something like the Essex Advanced Group? If so i think I know someone else there. Guyon ring any bells anyone??

Stig
21-01-09, 05:26 PM
cheers Mark

See Si, why use your initiative when some kind person will provide you with all the knowlage with no effort required! Just like dinner really, wait around long enough and someone is sure to leave some tasty looking mouthfulls ;-)

Yes well I look forward to the end of year excuse when you still haven't managed to attend any of them. :lol:

Stu
21-01-09, 06:21 PM
Is this known as something like the Essex Advanced Group? If so i think I know someone else there. Guyon ring any bells anyone??
Thankfully not with a name like that ;)

Essex of Essex
22-01-09, 12:40 AM
Essex Advanced is a different outfit, meets at Channels Golf club but I don't know when. They are no longer an IAM group but offer training for IAM and ROSPA.

DanAbnormal
22-01-09, 11:53 AM
wait around long enough and someone is sure to leave some tasty looking mouthfulls ;-)

Is thiis one of the benefits of the Essex advanced group.......:mrgreen:

I will try IAM again at some point, I need some confidence in wet weather. If you see me at an IAM meet DO NOT approach me, I will deny all knowledge of ever being there. :rolleyes:

walkaboutandy
22-01-09, 12:57 PM
Essex Advanced is a different outfit, meets at Channels Golf club but I don't know when. They are no longer an IAM group but offer training for IAM and ROSPA.
Does that mean that they are an IAG group?

Institute of Advanced Golfers! ;)

Messie
22-01-09, 04:48 PM
Essex....

You have PM

Stu
22-01-09, 04:50 PM
I will try IAM again at some point, Great :D
I need some confidence in wet weather. 8-[ I don't know what you expect will happen, all my wet weather confodence comes from riding bolt upright and not thinking about the consequences :oops:.

Essex of Essex
24-01-09, 11:09 PM
Essex....

You have PM

Miss Messie I sent a response but the dog ate it!

Stig
24-01-09, 11:17 PM
You two do realise this is the TV section right?

Messie
25-01-09, 10:01 AM
Miss Messie I sent a response but the dog ate it!

Thank you got it! Will maybe try to get there when the weather improves

You two do realise this is the TV section right?

And...? You can come and chat in the Essex Lounge whenever you want. In fact, do. It'd liven it up a bit!!
;)

Mark_h
08-02-09, 01:42 PM
To give you a little more notice, 15th Feb is third Sunday so open day at TVAM Wokingham. Not sure yet if I'll be there as it depends on weather and how far I get fitting the new kitchen.

philbut
08-02-09, 06:27 PM
I'm up a mountain in scotland then unfortunatly. Cheers for the heads up though

arcdef
08-02-09, 08:46 PM
To give you a little more notice, 15th Feb is third Sunday so open day at TVAM Wokingham. Not sure yet if I'll be there as it depends on weather and how far I get fitting the new kitchen.

If you could post up here a few days before, as i would be more comfortable being able to follow someone there so i actually made it instead of getting lost :P.

Cheers.

Mark_h
08-02-09, 09:54 PM
No problem, just remind me if I forget.

DanAbnormal
09-02-09, 05:27 PM
Want to but doubt I'll make it. :(

tonyk
10-02-09, 05:43 AM
yea..
i'm off.. .bout time i had weekend off.:cheers:
As long as it's not peeing down then i'll make this one,:smt104
just to see how much they think i've changed since last year...
( :laughat: its him again ....hopeless.. )
Is any one going ?..would not mide meeting up somewhere first.

JustATrick
11-02-09, 05:09 PM
As long as it's not peeing down then i'll make this one,:smt104

My thoughts exactly. The forecast is for light rain - if that's right then I'll go and try it out.

Mark_h
13-02-09, 09:11 PM
Sorry folks, the kitchen refit is gaining on me so I'll be spending Sunday having a great time with come levelling compound and a trowel rather than on the bike.

The school is on the main road between Wokingham and the A329M. Go in then kind of go anti-clockwise round the school. When you get to the bit with a couple of hundred bikes, you're in the right place.

Ask anyone where the new comers desk is then relax, get what you can out of it and if nothing else enjoy a free cuppa.

Make sure you're there by 9 and have most of a full tank of fuel. You'll probably only do 30-50 miles but it's really annoying if the first quarter of an hour is taken up watching some numpty buying fuel.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Mark

Stu
14-02-09, 06:34 PM
Does your IAm give lessons? How to fill up in less than 15 mins and not be a numpty? :lol:

Mark_h
14-02-09, 07:54 PM
I may be able to make it after all but no guarantee. If you're over my way (Fleet) then feel free to come meet up to ride in. A few of us meet outside the estate agents between the two roundabouts in Hartley Whitney. Even if I'm not there several others will be, are friendly and will lead you in.

If I'm there I'll be on a silver bike wearing a red jacket.

arcdef
14-02-09, 07:55 PM
My bike still isnt fixed :( i will be at the next for sure as i cant go another week without my bike lol.

edit, think i saw mark_h this morning as i walked over the canal.....was a verrrry nice silver sv1000, got jealous o fall the bikes out today aswell!

Mark_h
15-02-09, 07:25 PM
I know Tony-K was there and at least one other. How did it go?

arcdef
15-02-09, 07:29 PM
No i mean in fleet when i was walking over the bridge lol, my radiator hose is bust and new one is on its way hence i couldnt make it, thought the bike might have been you.. nevermind!

Mark_h
15-02-09, 07:32 PM
My bike still isnt fixed :( i will be at the next for sure as i cant go another week without my bike lol.

edit, think i saw mark_h this morning as i walked over the canal.....was a verrrry nice silver sv1000, got jealous o fall the bikes out today aswell!

I would have been turning right over the canal bridge about 08:20 this morning. Wave next time.

arcdef
15-02-09, 07:34 PM
Aye, must have been you, next time i will hopefully be following!

tonyk
15-02-09, 08:18 PM

mark_h - nice meeting you, i'd like to meet up again sometime and go for a ride.

mick - i was very impressed with your riding considering you have only been riding for a short while. lets meet up sometime and for a longer ride.

regards tonyk.

JustATrick
15-02-09, 11:14 PM

I was probably the one other (If we met I didn't realise, sorry :-)).

I enjoyed it, and learned a few things (from both Tony and my observer). I'm now a fully paid up red card holder (will the pipe and slippers come in the post? ;-)), so will be heading down there fairly regularly.

Tony - good to meet you, and thanks a lot for showing me the way, and for the loan of your inner gloves (oh, and sorry I forgot to return them...).

arcdef
26-02-09, 09:38 PM
Is the next one on the 15th of march??

Mark_h
27-02-09, 09:58 PM
Is the next one on the 15th of march??

Yep.

Always the third Sunday of the month.

I'll not be at the March one though as I'll be cheering Mrs.H on as she belts round the Fleet half marathon.

Others will hopefully confirm it's dead friendly and you'll be made welcome if you just turn up.