PDA

View Full Version : My first drop

JustATrick
25-01-09, 04:21 PM
Well, that didn't take long: I'm just back from my first ever bike drop. I was turning round in an entrance to a country road (just near Farmoor reservoir). It was gravely and very uneven, so I made the turn very carefully. Job done, I was moving back to the white line to rejoin the main road. I came to a stop with too much lean and it started going over, and despite my best efforts I ended up laying it down gently on its right side.

Very minor damage: small scuffs to mirror, front brake lever, bar end and exhaust, and the rear brake lever is bent at an angle I don't recognize.

Things I learned: my slow speed control is dodgy, and I've developed a bad habit of using the front brake for very low speed stops.

Mood: a bit ****ed off.

No-one was around to laugh at me (a couple of passing cages don't count), so thought I'd let you lot do it. Once you've finished, anyone know the best place to find a rear brake lever for a 2002 curvy, and what I should expect to pay? A quick search online didn't find anything (one on ebay a bit less bent than mine) - is there anywhere better than my local Suzuki dealer?

BBadger
25-01-09, 04:28 PM
Ah it happens to the best of us. Just got to try and stay off that front break. I did the same a left a small dent in the exhaust and tank....you'll soon cheer up and not care.
Gota learn somehow dont you.

As for the lever im not sure but some one will be alonge to help soon.

philbut
25-01-09, 05:16 PM
Bugger. It happens to everyone mate. I did it on Brighton sea front infront of 1000's of people - Invest in some crash bungs and if it happens again you won't have any bent levers to worry about. At least the SV is pretty light so you can pick it up on your own. Brake levers are a pain to get hold of as people always damage them in a drop. Put up a post in the wanted section on here to see if anyone has on lurking in the garage. New prices from Suzuki will be rediculous i think. You could take it off and try and re-bend it in a vice with a scafold pole or similar - if it breaks you haven't lost anything. if you can live with it I'd say do that for the time being. As BBadger has said, you will soon not be too bothered about a few imperfections - they all add character!

Dave20046
25-01-09, 05:34 PM
Well, that didn't take long: I'm just back from my first ever bike drop. I was turning round in an entrance to a country road (just near Farmoor reservoir). It was gravely and very uneven, so I made the turn very carefully. Job done, I was moving back to the white line to rejoin the main road. I came to a stop with too much lean and it started going over, and despite my best efforts I ended up laying it down gently on its right side.

Very minor damage: small scuffs to mirror, front brake lever, bar end and exhaust, and the rear brake lever is bent at an angle I don't recognize.

Things I learned: my slow speed control is dodgy, and I've developed a bad habit of using the front brake for very low speed stops.

Mood: a bit ****ed off.

No-one was around to laugh at me (a couple of passing cages don't count), so thought I'd let you lot do it. Once you've finished, anyone know the best place to find a rear brake lever for a 2002 curvy, and what I should expect to pay? A quick search online didn't find anything (one on ebay a bit less bent than mine) - is there anywhere better than my local Suzuki dealer?
oops I do that didn't know it was a problem.

Ah well mate you live and learn, don;t beat yerself up about it.

JustATrick
25-01-09, 07:57 PM
Thanks all.

you'll soon cheer up and not care.

You're not wrong there - took it out for another spin after posting, and came back in a much better mood :-). I will post in the wanted section for a brake lever, but my bent one works perfectly so no real rush.

I felt a few twinges in my arm while I was out, and now think I must've strained my forearm while trying to hold the bike up (wuss...). I didn't notice at the time: I was obviously concentrating on looking skywards and muttering "please don't, please don't, come on..." :-)

Just got to try and stay off that front break

So you think that is likely to be the problem? That was my guess, but it'd be good to have my mistake confirmed. I'll feel much better when I know what I did wrong, so there's something to work on.

BBadger
25-01-09, 08:13 PM
So you think that is likely to be the problem? That was my guess, but it'd be good to have my mistake confirmed. I'll feel much better when I know what I did wrong, so there's something to work on.

:mrgreen:see riding always cheers you up.
As for the strain, sounds about right and try not to make it to much worse or put some ice on it later. ( the hard man way )

As for the right and wrong way to to things it only seems to happen while you have the bars at far lock or close to it. Notice when you stop its very gradule and that last meter or so the front dives and bites hard. So do that when your least expecting it with the bike turned or leaning and it doesnt mix well.

No biggy just think what your doing next time and take the front break a little easier. 2 fingers works well.

ogden
25-01-09, 11:48 PM
Bugger. It happens to everyone mate. I did it on Brighton sea front infront of 1000's of people

I did it on mud riding through the school gates in front of just about everyone I knew. Which was nice.

And then there was the time riding home from the Frog & Bucket. And the time I was racing Roy round Maidstone town centre. And the time in the Slade car park. And, god, if only I could remember every time I fell off in my first couple of years of riding.

KnightRider
26-01-09, 10:14 AM
Glad your back up and riding buddy. Slow riding accidents happen to the best of us. Getting balance when going slowly is a skill and takes lots of practice. Definately recommend using the rear brake for slow manouvers. I nearly always come to a stop using the rear brake as it is gentler. To be clear though I usually just release the front brake at 2-3 mph and let the rear do the rest.

My first off was similar to yours - I was trying to turn around in a drive way. Made it all the way round, went to put my foot down and....oh crap I am not tall enough for my foot to reach the ground when the bike is between raised pavement and road.

That was on my brand spanking new SV650 2008. Felt rather stupid but the crash bung stopped most of the damage.

ogden
26-01-09, 10:16 AM
I am not tall enough for my foot to reach the ground

Superfluous text deleted.

Warthog
26-01-09, 07:42 PM
Haha!

Warthog
26-01-09, 07:43 PM
At Jon, not JustaTrick of course! I have also come off at slow speed, everyone has!