PDA

View Full Version : water proof boots with proper ankle protection?

bourne
09-02-09, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

I was looking around for all year round boots that offer proper protection. SIDIs seem to be really popular and look good as well. SIDI Black rain seemed to be reasonably priced, water proof and price was reasonable.

Now, I went to a store and was surprised when the employee showed me how easy all SIDIs bend at just below the ankle protection (the area between heel and ankle). I understand that boots with eso skeleton do better in that area but most eso skeleton boots are meant for racing and hence are not water proof.

Is that an important criteria? Any boots that you know offering both eso skeleton and waterproof? I'm looking to buy safe boots and I don't like to see a boot bend so easily there.

Thanks.

Dave20046
10-02-09, 09:29 AM
TCX gortex boots about £190, all round wear extremely comfy.

Luckypants
10-02-09, 09:51 AM
Alpinestars SMX-4 waterproof, great all year boot. Not had a drop of water get through yet, despite riding in some monsoon conditions.

gavinsky23
10-02-09, 10:20 AM
TCX goretex are brilliant. I've had mine over a year and wear them everyday. Very comfy, never leaked!

Viney
10-02-09, 10:24 AM
Hey guys,

I was looking around for all year round boots that offer proper protection. SIDIs seem to be really popular and look good as well. SIDI Black rain seemed to be reasonably priced, water proof and price was reasonable.

Now, I went to a store and was surprised when the employee showed me how easy all SIDIs bend at just below the ankle protection (the area between heel and ankle). I understand that boots with eso skeleton do better in that area but most eso skeleton boots are meant for racing and hence are not water proof.

Is that an important criteria? Any boots that you know offering both eso skeleton and waterproof? I'm looking to buy safe boots and I don't like to see a boot bend so easily there.

Thanks.Hey Bourne. Welcome to the site. I am sure that Sidi do one of thier race boots thats waterproof. In all honesty, i have never looked at how my boots flex and it wasnt something that i considered. My main thing was are they waterproof! Most bike clothing will be fine for the kind of 'offs' that occur. I have a couple of offs with in my Sidis and they were fine. I did however, have a few issues around waterproofing! I eblieve that they are now Goretex lined which should make them a lot better. The Sidis should be fine, and dont be put off by a slaesperson scaring you into buying dearer boots!

the_lone_wolf
10-02-09, 10:38 AM

I use black rains and theyyyyyyy're great... they're not designed to be an exoskeleton at all, simply to provide leather between your ankle and the road, they do have armour over the point of rotation of your heel so will offer some protection is you smack you foot into the road, they're plenty waterproof too, having ridden in some foul conditions i'd take them again any day

if you really want to go overboard get some MX boots, i also have a pair of sidi crossfires:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2007_Sidi_Crossfire_TA_Boot.jpg

for supermoto, also waterproof but they feel like you're wearing solid armour, very little flex compared to a road boot (and they weigh in at about 1kg each) but they offer a bit more protection

however, at the end of the day it's the luck of the draw, you might just catch it wrong like some guy did on france last year, 0:21 in you can see the bike tuck and he broke his ankle, he was wearing mx boots...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIAUTTTQhfM

:o

bourne
10-02-09, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm so new to riding that I don't even have a license (the exam is on 17th Feb), however, I'm trying to do my prep work so once the exam is done I spend my money wisely and not on the shiniest gadgets.

I remember someone in this forum writing something around the lines of "if you can twist your boot into a ball... what protection does it offer". I'm sure 90% it all depends on luck, but being a noob I want to have the rest 10% on my side ;)

Thanks for specific boot models, right now "TCX Competizione S Goretex" would probably on the top of my list.

Thanks again everyone.

ophic
10-02-09, 03:57 PM
I don't like the Sidi Black Rains for 2 reasons - the heel is abrasive and rubs the paint off your heel plates - and they leaked like sieves.

On the plus side, they were extremely comfortable. It's possible i just got a bad pair, or perhaps they have improved the design recently?

the_lone_wolf
10-02-09, 04:00 PM
I remember someone in this forum writing something around the lines of "if you can twist your boot into a ball... what protection does it offer". I'm sure 90% it all depends on luck, but being a noob I want to have the rest 10% on my side ;)

ain't gonna matter what you're wearing when that 18 wheeler rolls over your foot...

no bike boot is going to stop you overflexing or breaking your ankle, if it did you wouldn't be able to move your foot - if you're twisting your leg i'd rather have the extra motion a lighter boot offers, with those crossfires on it's going to be your knee joint snapping like pulling a drumstick off a chicken:pukel:

arcdef
10-02-09, 05:16 PM
I have a pair of these (http://www.bici.co.uk/p/484377/gaerne-gr-w-aquatech-waterproof-roadrace-boot.html) GAERNE GR-W AQUATECH. Amazing boots, really nice to wear, cant even manage to bend it slightly sideways and am yet to get wet or cold. I also didnt pay that much, jsut used that page to show you.

Sally
10-02-09, 10:25 PM
http://www.3fun.pl/sklep/_var/gfx/ea79b44f604c75d0e3324f2e97b5927d.jpg

Sidi Vertigo.
First pair of 'sports boots', has adjustable calf strap thingy, means my large calfs can fit in them, the prior problems with all other sports boots i tried on..

Water proof, comfy, dont squeek alot, can fit my leathers/textiles.jeans in them.
Got mines for £200, feel worth the money.

Miles
24-02-09, 08:23 AM
I've got rainsport blacks, and really like them, they're comfortable, have a bit of protection and seem well made.

I've ridden all through winter with no problem, but got a 'damp' foot in a severe downpour the other day. I only bought them in May.

Do you think they'd swap them if I take them back?

thor
24-02-09, 08:27 AM
oxtar do some off road boots too

I have some sidi black rains. They have lasted very well for 5 years now. If I was buying new ones, I would get the vertigos above.

Drew Carey
24-02-09, 09:16 AM
+1 for the Alpinestars SMX-4 WP. Not only are they comfy (can walk round town etc with no issues) they have been 100% waterproof through 2 winters of constant riding. Plus, I managed to faceplant the motorway tarmac last Feb at 70mph and flipped and rolled down the motorway, had no issues with my feet / ankles at all and the boots just needed a good polish to get rid of the scuff marks.

In fact, it was the only bit of kit I still have and use from that crash and they are still brill.