PDA

View Full Version : Theft! Robbery! Possibly...

Warthog
17-02-09, 09:58 AM
Well, took my bike to work today for the first time since the January Shire Horse meet. Upon removing the cover, it seems my tax disc and holder have disappeared :confused:. Now, it has been a bit windy and snowy, but I can't imagine that has been enough to unscrew a bolt and make them all disappear without a trace? So I conclude that someone must have stolen them :(. Here's the funny part: I was coming outside to fit my new tax disc as my old one had expired :lol:. So they stole nothing! Apart from my holder.

Next question: my tax disc is now under my seat. I know many people keep it there because as just proven, if it is on display it can get stolen. But it does say on it it HAS to be displayed on the vehicle?! So has anyone got in trouble with not displaying it? ANPR etc will all know it is taxed, its only if a guy actually comes walking round whilst it is parked. Opinions?

plowsie
17-02-09, 10:02 AM
It is an offence "failing to display up to date road tax". However, if you have it in your pillion seat, you should be okay...

You've just reminded me, mines in my tail pack.....AT HOME!

Dave20046
17-02-09, 10:05 AM
Yes it must be displayed on the front left of the vehicle I believe. Although no one's bothered about the front left thing mine's on the front cylinder (RHS).

Sosha
17-02-09, 10:46 AM
Only bike I've dispayed a tax disc on in a while is the 400 for (obvious reasons). Never bothered on the SV. If you get a fine though, you can't sue me....

Edit: Stalked - mwuhahahahaha

shonadoll
17-02-09, 11:21 AM
I thought the new law was you couldn't be fined for not displaying it, only if they then check and you don't have one.

the_lone_wolf
17-02-09, 11:31 AM
I thought the new law was you couldn't be fined for not displaying it, only if they then check and you don't have one.

only within 5 days of the VED renewal date, to give time for those who do it online to get their discs in the post...

Stu
17-02-09, 11:40 AM
Only bike I've dispayed a tax disc on in a while is the 400 for (obvious reasons). Never bothered on the SV. If you get a fine though, you can't sue me....

Edit: Stalked - mwuhahahahaha
Isn't the 400 so old it's tax exempt? :confused:

madness
17-02-09, 12:16 PM
I got pulled because my tax disc had fallen off the windscreen of my car and was lying on top of the dashboard. It was not hidden, just not stuck to the screen. I didn't get a fine but got a 'producer', which was a pain. I think it comes down to what sort of day the copper is having when he sees you 'failing to display'

fat_brstd
17-02-09, 01:36 PM
ive not replaced my tax disk when it expired last summer. I have taxed the bike and have a valid disk at home but my holder is rusted solid and as such cant be undone and im not going to buy a new one just for that. Never had any trouble for it. They can look it all up on the computer, its a pointless law and not worth bothering with.

Obviously you can get in trouble for not having one and i am in no way condoning not having one but ive never had an issue.

Kilted Ginger
17-02-09, 02:10 PM
we had a spate of these thefts here a while back so i went along to the Nice Traffic Police and asked the question. One was a biker. Original must be displayed, not in walley, not under seat, Definately not a photocopy (which i previously had been told was fine) or you will get done for fraud as well as failure to display.

Pays your money and takes your chance, but if its not on display and you get done, dont moan about it ;)

Stig
17-02-09, 03:31 PM
No. Don't display. I have my tax disc in my bike jacket.

KnightRider
17-02-09, 05:39 PM
Join the club. Had 2 stolen whilst I was in London. I now have a colour copy in the holder and I have clearly written on it that it is a copy and that the original is with the rider.

walkaboutandy
17-02-09, 06:10 PM
Isn't there tamperproof ones you can buy? Or make one yourself. Buy a normal one and put torx headed bolts in cos most dodgy geezers don't have them in their toolboxes, or attach it to the bike so its easily seen but have the fixing bolt only accessible from under the locking pillion seat.

monkey
17-02-09, 09:35 PM
Little Chris had his tax disc and holder fall off on track! Was quite funny. On a side note three blokes were found IN my car once, one with the tax disc in his pocket and they had damaged the wiring trying to jump start it. Old bill came and despite evidence including video they didn't even prosecute.

I keep mine in my wallet.

Warthog
17-02-09, 10:55 PM
Well, at least that is a consensus of information :lol:

Was going to try the colour photocopy option but kind of got put off by the "fraud" statement?! Surely if you own the original it can't be fraud? I'd like to try to see them convict you in a court of 12 reasonable men and women.

Sosha
17-02-09, 10:59 PM
Having stalked you through both threads now - I'm officially bored. Might have to start stalking someone else....:smt090

Warthog
17-02-09, 11:04 PM
Wow, epic fail, I am a boring stalkee :(. But maybe it is just because you can't see what interesting things I am doing in real life! Like, er, setting up a wireless network, and doing some press-ups...

Sosha
17-02-09, 11:07 PM
maybe it is just because you can't see what interesting things I am doing in real life! Like, er, setting up a wireless network, ...

You know it'll never give a decent signal there - you need to move it about a foot to the left.....

Warthog
17-02-09, 11:18 PM
What, oh.. yeah, ok got it. Much better! Thanks!

*checks window for spooky white faces*

sv_rory
18-02-09, 12:22 AM
Its funny i read this thread because a few months ago i had my bike at work and the security saw a couple fo foreign lorry drivers looking at my bike, he came to tell me and when i got out there the tax disc holder had been stolen, the dvla charged me 6 quid i think for a new 1 plus i had to buy a new holder :(

thinone
18-02-09, 03:31 AM
Well, took my bike to work today for the first time since the January Shire Horse meet. Upon removing the cover, it seems my tax disc and holder have disappeared :confused:. Now, it has been a bit windy and snowy, but I can't imagine that has been enough to unscrew a bolt and make them all disappear without a trace? So I conclude that someone must have stolen them :(. Here's the funny part: I was coming outside to fit my new tax disc as my old one had expired :lol:. So they stole nothing! Apart from my holder.

Next question: my tax disc is now under my seat. I know many people keep it there because as just proven, if it is on display it can get stolen. But it does say on it it HAS to be displayed on the vehicle?! So has anyone got in trouble with not displaying it? ANPR etc will all know it is taxed, its only if a guy actually comes walking round whilst it is parked. Opinions?
mine is in the kitchen drawer

Stig
18-02-09, 11:31 AM
I don't believe someone would have actually taken the time to unbolt it and remove it. They would simply have snapped it off. I also find it unlikely they would have made off with the bolt as well.

Personally I would suspect lack of maintenance and it fell off en-route from the Shire to home.

DanAbnormal
18-02-09, 11:42 AM
Woah Nick, you're doing pressups!!? :eek:

Warthog
18-02-09, 01:22 PM
I don't believe someone would have actually taken the time to unbolt it and remove it. They would simply have snapped it off. I also find it unlikely they would have made off with the bolt as well.

Personally I would suspect lack of maintenance and it fell off en-route from the Shire to home.

It is entirely possible. I am not so bothered about the theft, just what to do now.

Warthog
18-02-09, 01:24 PM
Woah Nick, you're doing pressups!!? :eek:

Yeah HOOA! Its my new excercise regime. Its relaxed though I admit. Few press-ups here, bit of cycling there, bit less cheese on the spaghetti. But I feel better :).

walkaboutandy
18-02-09, 01:32 PM
Does that mean you can drink more fine ale?

Warthog
18-02-09, 01:44 PM
Does that mean you can drink more fine ale?

Now you see the point of the excercise :-D

walkaboutandy
18-02-09, 02:08 PM
:cool:

thinone
18-02-09, 03:03 PM
i'd say - just move to Slough - at least you when they are checking up on things - there is a camera crew running around!

what's your town famous for?

carlos
18-02-09, 07:38 PM
You are not going to get done for fraud for sticking a photocopy of your tax in the holder! You may get questioned about forgery and counterfeiting but fraud no:D Even then if you have written 'copy -original with rider' how the hell would CPS get it to court??? You may well get stuck one for failure to display, but as always be :smt083 not :smt072 and you may well get let off with words of advice. As with exhausts, number plates, dark visors, etcyou take your chances.

ogden
19-02-09, 07:36 AM
FWIW, I almost never bother putting tax discs on my bikes. I don't even bother keeping them in my wallet, they tend to be in a file with all the other paperwork at home. It's never caused me any problems.

DanAbnormal
19-02-09, 11:50 AM
Yeah HOOA! Its my new excercise regime. Its relaxed though I admit. Few press-ups here, bit of cycling there, bit less cheese on the spaghetti. But I feel better :).

Hold on....is the missus underneath when you are doing these 'pressups'! :)

Kilted Ginger
19-02-09, 02:25 PM
I emailed the national police legal dept this morning and their reply was.

The original tax disc must be displayed on the left hand side of the vehicle, no copies, not under the seat etc. Failure to display carries a £60 fine, no points. This would be the penalty for displaying a copy although depending on the officers opinion of your intent you may be charged with something else.

Another note if you cover your bike (or car) with a protective cover it must have transparent windows at the tax disc and number plate or this also constitutes a failure to display.

HTH

Stig
19-02-09, 04:00 PM
I emailed the national police legal dept this morning and their reply was.

The original tax disc must be displayed on the left hand side of the vehicle, no copies, not under the seat etc. Failure to display carries a £60 fine, no points. This would be the penalty for displaying a copy although depending on the officers opinion of your intent you may be charged with something else.

Another note if you cover your bike (or car) with a protective cover it must have transparent windows at the tax disc and number plate or this also constitutes a failure to display.

HTH

Yes well if you ask directly you are going to get the text book reply. The truth of the matter is regardless of if it is displayed or not, it is now possible for the police to check on the spot if the vehicle has a current and valid tax licence, MOT and insurance. The displaying of tax disks as far as I can see is only a requirement so you can get properly fined for illegal parking.

Warthog
19-02-09, 06:19 PM
Oh great, that makes my cover illegal now too! Well screw the police then, if they are going to make things hard (how many bike covers have transparent windows for tax disc holders and number plates??)

Kilted Ginger
19-02-09, 07:04 PM
The truth of the matter is regardless of if it is displayed or not, it is now possible for the police to check on the spot if the vehicle has a current and valid tax licence, MOT and insurance. The displaying of tax disks as far as I can see is only a requirement so you can get properly fined for illegal parking.

Whether you have tax or not is irrelevant, FAILURE TO DISPLAY is the offence. unlicenced vehicle is a different thing altogether.

ogden
19-02-09, 07:16 PM
Oh great, that makes my cover illegal now too! Well screw the police then, if they are going to make things hard (how many bike covers have transparent windows for tax disc holders and number plates??)

Do you really care that much?

monkey
19-02-09, 08:40 PM
Ever heard of scissors Nick?

metalmonkey
20-02-09, 12:37 AM

You guys are reading far too much into this.

I can only suggest what I would do, or may accpet. In my view keeping the real disk under seat, to me isn't a problem I think a half descent cop would know that. A guy at work had his tax disk stolen too, I did laugh when he told me(was that mean?)

For me long as you have paid and have the real thing with the bike I can't see a problem as I know the problem of having a holder that can be removed.

However if can't be arsed to pay, for tax insurance ect, they oh well.

I can't predit what others may do, but I know what I consider to be reasonable.

Sosha
20-02-09, 11:08 AM
Do you really care that much?

Well he's got two threads going......

Warthog
20-02-09, 11:35 AM
I'm not that bothered :rolleyes:, just trying to gauge a few opinions. Trouble is, my bike lives on the street, so it must get seen very many times by traffic wardens etc, when I am not there so can't tell them it is under the seat. They will just ticket me. Can traffic wardens do that? Or is it only police?

ogden
20-02-09, 11:38 AM
Trouble is, my bike lives on the street, so it must get seen very many times by traffic wardens etc, when I am not there so can't tell them it is under the seat. They will just ticket me. Can traffic wardens do that? Or is it only police?

A traffic warden is unlikely to give a monkeys. But there aren't many traffic wardens around these days, they're mostly council parking attendants who don't have the statutory right to do much at all.

Just stop worrying about it, ffs.

Stig
20-02-09, 01:07 PM
Whether you have tax or not is irrelevant, FAILURE TO DISPLAY is the offence. unlicenced vehicle is a different thing altogether.

Yes and its one of those laws that has been left in when technology advancement no longer requires it. It makes no difference what so ever if the disk is displayed or not. The police I am sure would make the necessary call to find out regardless if the disk was displayed or not. Forgery and theft springs to mind. The theft part being of course the reason why motorcyclists do not display them in the first place.

Stig
20-02-09, 01:08 PM
A traffic warden is unlikely to give a monkeys. But there aren't many traffic wardens around these days, they're mostly council parking attendants who don't have the statutory right to do much at all.

Just stop worrying about it, ffs.

Indeed. A traffic warden is only going to be concerned if your bike is parked illegally. Which I assume is not the case if it is parked outside your house.