PDA

View Full Version : Servicing - 15,000

pencil shavings
22-02-09, 09:17 PM
Im coming up for my 15k serivce, and dont really think I would have a clue what I was doing, so where should I take it in the reading area? Or does anyone with the tools for valve clearance checking fancy coming around and watching me while you tell me what to do?

cheers! :thumbsup:

philbut
22-02-09, 10:52 PM
Its not really that tricky - all you need is a set of feeler (sp?) gauges and a haynes manual (assuming you already have a decent socket set). reading is a bit far really for me, plus I'm stuck in the garage rebuilding my 7R at the mo.

walkaboutandy
23-02-09, 09:07 AM
I thought that valve clearances don't need to be checked till 25,000? I had mine checked last summer after 30,000 miles and they didn't need any adjustment.

sandman
23-02-09, 09:45 AM
I think they need to be checked at approximately 15k ( i am waiting till 16k)
The guy who i use for services said they are rarely out but it is worth while to check just in case.

philbut
23-02-09, 10:35 AM
If they do not need adjusting then its a pretty easy quick job. If you are not confident doing the adjustment, I'd still do the check to save yourself the cost of someone taking your bike apart only to find it doesn't need doing!

pencil shavings
23-02-09, 12:54 PM
Cheers guys, I guess it makes sence to try it myself. I think I should be able to check it myself if its fairly straight forward to do.
Im also not sure on bearings and checking them. I think the head stock bearing might be on the way out, I think there is a tiny nocking noise under breaking which I believe would be becasue of this, am I right?

Stig
23-02-09, 04:41 PM
Im also not sure on bearings and checking them. I think the head stock bearing might be on the way out, I think there is a tiny nocking noise under breaking which I believe would be becasue of this, am I right?

It's a possibility but not restricted to this. Easiest way to check is to unload all weight on the front and give the steering a good shake back and fore. You will feel instantly if there is any give in the bearings. Don't rule out it being the suspension knocking if you have standard internals. Or even the front wheel bearings.

Sosha
23-02-09, 05:04 PM
Plus if it is the Headstock they may just need adjusting (Assuming the SV has ordinary bearings not tapered cos I've never looked)

Give away for dead'uns is graunchy (or notches....) when turning forks from side to side with the front wheel off the deck.

Discalimer: I know nothing

Sid Squid
24-02-09, 12:08 AM
Checking the clearances is pretty easy, if adjustment is needed then even though there are many engines that are fiddlier than the SV to adjust, unless you're completely sure of what you're doing it's probably best entrusted to someone who is able.
As for the schedule, the service intervals are primarily given in kilometres and then rounded for conversion into miles. The actual interval is 6000 km, rounded this is made 4000 miles, by the time you get to the fourth service, the valve service - 24,000 km which is closer to 15,000 miles - we've rounded up to 16,000 miles.

Plus if it is the Headstock they may just need adjusting (Assuming the SV has ordinary bearings not tapered cos I've never looked)
Both ball and roller bearings can need adjusting.

pencil shavings
24-02-09, 12:49 AM
cheers, Im on 14,9?? so I will be at 15k shortly. Oil and filter change I should be able to do as well as the checking some of the bearings but I dont really know what Im looking for. The thorttle body sync requires tools I dont have, is there anyother way or do I need vacuum gauges? and the valves... looks daunting.

I think I will have to take it somewhere to get those jobs done, rather be safe than sorry!

sam_p2000
26-02-09, 11:54 AM
Nick Robinson Motorcycles on the A33 (halfway between Basingstoke and J11 of the M4) does my servicing. He's the left turn in Just before the Petrol station at Turges Green on a right hand bend.

arcdef
26-02-09, 12:02 PM
Mine also need checking, so maybe if an "experienced" member would be willing we could organise some kind of workshop??

Cheeky i know :).

pencil shavings
26-02-09, 02:31 PM
workshop sounds good to me!! :) any offers?

arcdef
26-02-09, 04:04 PM
workshop sounds good to me!! :) any offers?
Think that is going to be our problem!

Warthog
27-02-09, 12:48 PM
Philbut is a student, he'll do you a workshop for a 4-pack of beer and some pork scratchings :-P

arcdef
27-02-09, 01:02 PM
A trip to Oxford is needed then!

Warthog
27-02-09, 04:21 PM
Do it! We can have a bike workshop session, as I have a couple of things that need doing to my bike too. I'll invite you all round to his garage :-P

pencil shavings
27-02-09, 04:51 PM
Im up for that!

arcdef
27-02-09, 06:26 PM
The man himself is staying quiet though! Anyone else got the knowledge to spread??

sv650nutter149
27-02-09, 11:14 PM
i know how to oil a chain, change brake pads, fit clutch plates, change oil and filter levers rear sets and i think thats bout it atm until i can think of anyother stuff but dont have space to set up workshop or equlavent

sam anon
02-03-09, 12:14 PM
I'm in the process of giving my bike it's 16000 mile service, it's nothing you can't understand with a manual, the right tools and some borrowed vacuum gauges.

All I've left to do is replace the oil, and the front and rear brake fluid.

First tip: Extend a tube off the front carb vacuum nipple. It handily appears in the hole in the fairing (on a half faired curvy anyway!)

Second tip: Don't stand over the carbs while balancing them with the airbox off and a slight hangover. The breather tubes from the crankcase point right at your head and leave you feeling a bit worse for wear!

philbut
02-03-09, 02:54 PM
The man himself is staying quiet though! Anyone else got the knowledge to spread??

I have been in my garage all week end swearing at my ZX7R. normally I'd be up for this as I like tinkering but I've got pleanty on at the mo with my own bike.unfortunatly I don't have an SV any more or I could do a photo workshop. I can post some pictures of the process on an IL4 750 engine - Won't be exact obviously but it may help give you the general gist of what is involved.

tonyk
04-03-09, 05:49 PM
ok folks,
lets have a show of hand's who needs 15-16000 miles service.:smt104
1....me.
2....?

maybe we might get a discount for group service......you never know.

pencil shavings
04-03-09, 06:00 PM
me

arcdef
04-03-09, 09:47 PM
1. Tonyk
2. pencil shavings
3. arcdef

tonyk
05-03-09, 08:11 AM
ok guy's,
lets phone around and see who will do any discount for 3 bikes..
and remind them that the lowest quote gets the bussiness....

sandman
05-03-09, 08:51 AM
Add me to that list please mine is almost on 15k

tonyk
05-03-09, 10:00 AM
1. Tonyk .........................sv650 k7
2. pencil shavings
3. arcdef
4. sandman.
sorry guys but i need to know which bike needs servicing.:cyclopsani:

sandman
05-03-09, 10:22 AM
GSXR 600 K7
56 plate
15k service

pencil shavings
05-03-09, 10:39 AM
Sv650s k3

I would much rather do the work myself with someone there to guide/help if I get stuck, and have the use of their tools! Is this your plan tony?

arcdef
05-03-09, 10:42 AM
Sv650s k3

I would much rather do the work myself with someone there to guide/help if I get stuck, and have the use of their tools! Is this your plan tony?

Have to agree there, id prefer to spend some money being trained to do it so in future i can get it done for free!!

oh and its a sv650sy

tonyk
05-03-09, 10:55 AM
Have to agree there, id prefer to spend some money being trained to do it so in future i can get it done for free!!

oh and its a sv650sy

its a sv650sy what K ? or what year..?

JustATrick
05-03-09, 01:26 PM
I just paid for my 15,000 service to be done at AMS Motorcycles in Reading (decided I couldn't do it all myself - shame you weren't organising this a month ago). I got the recommendation from searching the archives in here, and then was impressed by their website: http://www.amsmotorcycles.org.uk/id30.html. It says they'll give you a course on how to do the service yourself (including the service, IYSWIM) for £50 extra, or you could just go and rent a lift and tools in their workshop. Maybe you should try them for a group discount?

I'm not really qualified to judge the quality of the work they did (I haven't found anything wrong...), but was very impressed by their customer service. They picked the bike up free from home at 6:30pm on Tues, delivered it back on Weds at 7:00pm, as arranged, and charged what they said they'd charge. Provided they did the work right, then I'm extremely happy with them.

pencil shavings
05-03-09, 01:45 PM
I used them for the last major service and I was dissapointed with the work done. found errors, such as the rear brake holding plate not being connected back to the rear wheel, front brakes haddnt been bleed properly, and the bike felt exactly the same as it did when I gave it to them, ie not tight like it dose after a proper service like the one I had before at Lamba motorcycles in Carshalton SM5.

this dosent meen that yours wasnt done right, just I dont feel like mine was.

tonyk
05-03-09, 01:58 PM
folks......
pm me for the price that i got quoted from garages....

arcdef
05-03-09, 04:26 PM
its a sv650sy what K ? or what year..?

The Y is what they used before the K's but its a 2000.

ogden
06-03-09, 07:43 AM
ok guy's,
lets phone around and see who will do any discount for 3 bikes..
and remind them that the lowest quote gets the bussiness....

Yeah, when my bike needs a service, I always take it to the cheapest place. It's the only way to be sure they'll do a proper job.

Stig
06-03-09, 08:54 AM
Yeah, when my bike needs a service, I always take it to the cheapest place. It's the only way to be sure they'll do a proper job.

The only way to ensure you get a good and full service is to do it yourself. That or stand there looking over their shoulder.

ogden
06-03-09, 09:09 AM
The only way to ensure you get a good and full service is to do it yourself. That or stand there looking over their shoulder.

Au contraire, the kind of service I'd ensure by doing it myself is a half-arsed, hamfisted one.

philbut
06-03-09, 10:34 AM
Yeah, but then if it does break you only have your self to blame!

jusy had a call from my mate with a 2005 995i Daytona. He droped it in the snow and holed an engine casing. Bought a new one and put it on BUT DIDNT REPLACE THE GASKETS AND SEALS. It blew up at 70 last night - new engine required - only has 4k on ti too!!!

pencil shavings
06-03-09, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but then if it does break you only have your self to blame!

jusy had a call from my mate with a 2005 995i Daytona. He droped it in the snow and holed an engine casing. Bought a new one and put it on BUT DIDNT REPLACE THE GASKETS AND SEALS. It blew up at 70 last night - new engine required - only has 4k on ti too!!!
school boy error. :(

philbut
06-03-09, 11:22 AM
Yep. He has no mechanical know how, i feel so sorry for the guy. The accident wasn't even his fault but the taxi just drove off. On the plus side, I now get to play with a Daytona whilst I swap the engine for him hopefully!

pencil shavings
06-03-09, 11:31 AM
back on topic, I think im just going to do the basic elements of the service myself and let someone else do the compression and the valves. Are you up for doing that philbut? [-o<

Warthog
07-03-09, 10:20 AM
Well I am helping him with his bike on Sunday, maybe you can ride up? Depends how much time he needs on his 7R as that takes priority. But don't listen to me, Phill's the man here, let him decide if he has the time and can-be-bothered-ness :)

sandman
08-03-09, 02:20 PM
i am now taking my bike to a local garage in Wycombe as it now needs some additional wiring works on it and the guy said i can watch with the valve clearances and other bits

tonyk
23-03-09, 05:43 PM
i am now taking my bike to a local garage in Wycombe as it now needs some additional wiring works on it and the guy said i can watch with the valve clearances and other bits
yo Jerry,
can you tell me which garage ?....i will be needing it when i need to change the chain and spockets..

philbut
23-03-09, 05:58 PM
back on topic, I think im just going to do the basic elements of the service myself and let someone else do the compression and the valves. Are you up for doing that philbut? [-o<

Oh ello, I completely missed this. I'm so busy at weekends at the moment I doubt I'll have time as it is a whole weekend job really if they do need adjusting. Just found yet ANOTHER problem with the 7R so that is more time locked in the garage when I want to be out riding, grrrrrrr.

I really wouldn't bother doing a compression test, especially if the bike has only done 15K. I've never bothered on any of mine. The only time I'd consider that is when trying to diagnose a serious fault or loss of power.

sandman
23-03-09, 08:23 PM
Hi Tony
It is Duwards Auto in Piddington near West Wycombe
I can get you the number if you like
Just got my bike back from its service and is running fine