PDA

View Full Version : I've mullered a bolt - what to do now?

Dappa D
25-02-09, 06:37 PM
right tonight I went to put my new right hand footrest bracket on as the old one is snapped and i cant use the rear brake at all....really simple job i thought...take off the bolt holding the brake pedal on, undo the two bolts holding the bracket on, and unto the two allen bolts holding the heel plate/kick plate thing on...

the second damn allen bolt holding the kick plate on rounded as i was trying to undo it....

quick run to the laptop - search on here - says try cutting top of allen bolt so you can get a flat head in there....or try hammering in a torx/allen key next size up in the hole and doing it that way....

neither of these worked, my tools are very limited...hammered in next size up torx key...didnt work....used a chisel and hammer to make a flat line to try a flat head screwdriver but this didnt work properly...dont really have anything else i can try to get a good cut in there...

so what do i do? do i need to buy something or is there a way of doing it with a drill....??

if it wa the other side id of just snapped the thing off and binned it but on the rh side it connects to something to do with the rear brake...its dark now so gonna have to try in the morning before work...grrrrrrrrrr

any advice appreciated

thanks
dapps

dizzyblonde
25-02-09, 06:40 PM
borrow a dremel, use a small cutting disc to cut a slot for a flat head screwdriver?

done it meself in desperation

cymroboi
25-02-09, 06:52 PM
or even if you haven got a dremel borrow a hacksaw and do the same as above with a flat tip screwdriver

or even do as i would
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss285/cymroboi/fiveohheaders010.jpg
only jokeing on that part lol

Dappa D
25-02-09, 07:14 PM
ive got a saw...like proper big saw lol...may try that in the morning, ideally need it done in the morning to get to work, guess ill have to borrow a dremmel if i have no luck

shonadoll
25-02-09, 07:36 PM
We drilled out the bolt in my bar end, after trying everything else.

svtomo
25-02-09, 07:48 PM
sharp chisel on the edge of the bolt head and tap it round, do it all the time on locking wheel nuts at work.
hold chisel straight down at about 10-11 oclock on bolt head and give it a good wack to get it dug into the bolt.

Dappa D
26-02-09, 09:51 AM
it is now fubar'd.....

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn192/dappad/allenbolt.jpg

not very good pic, ripped the heel plate off in frustration, blade snapped on the hacksaw:mad:

i put it back together as seen in the pic and am now riding with a boken bracket and no back brake, not good.

Dave20046
26-02-09, 09:57 AM
borrow a dremel, use a small cutting disc to cut a slot for a flat head screwdriver?

done it meself in desperation
I wish I knew how to attach the cutting discs to my dremmel I desperately need to get front carb choke plunger bolt out but it's knackared and innacessible with molegrips and hack saw.

dizzyblonde
26-02-09, 11:15 AM
tsh, men:rolleyes:
small cross head attachment that has a washer loose on it IIRC off the top o my head

Mr Speirs
26-02-09, 12:59 PM
Personally with that I would cut a 1mm line through the head with the blade of the hacksaw. It will take a lot of time but you should be able to do it. Then get a large flat head or a 50p piece and use that to undo it.

Dappa D
26-02-09, 02:33 PM
Personally with that I would cut a 1mm line through the head with the blade of the hacksaw. It will take a lot of time but you should be able to do it. Then get a large flat head or a 50p piece and use that to undo it.

snapped me hacksaw didnt i!!!, going to my brothers work at about 4 ish he works for ats lots of bits and peices, proper tools unlike i have so hopefully be sorted....ive cut my thumb up big time using the hammer and chisel lol, it hurts! im such an office boy!

Dappa D
27-02-09, 10:50 AM
well its sorted guys..should have left it to begin with and just took it to my brothers work....he had on of those little handheld grinder things that work on the airline..took him about 30 seconds to get it off.....but he did say it looked like the thread had locktight on it?..hmmmm

vardypeeps
27-02-09, 12:26 PM
I know it's fixed now but after you snapped your heel plate. You could just cut through the reminder and take it off the get some mole grips or pliers on the bolt to undo it?

Dappa D
27-02-09, 02:45 PM
I know it's fixed now but after you snapped your heel plate. You could just cut through the reminder and take it off the get some mole grips or pliers on the bolt to undo it?

tried for ages with mole grips....hammering that last little bit of heel late that was on there in so i could get a grip....but couldnt get a grip!

Monkey_SDMF
27-02-09, 05:46 PM
Replacement one here.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV650-SV-650-S-99-02-FOOTREST-HEEL-PLATE-R-H_W0QQitemZ390033228943QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motor cycle_Parts?hash=item390033228943&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV650-SV-650-S-99-02-FOOTREST-HEEL-PLATE-R-H_W0QQitemZ390033228943QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motor cycle_Parts?hash=item390033228943&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

thefallenangel
27-02-09, 05:49 PM
min had locktight on it. Took a vice, cutting etc . . to get it off. I got one in my front mudguard to do tomorrow. Dremmel borrowed ready to cut it.

gettin2dizzy
27-02-09, 07:05 PM
well its sorted guys..should have left it to begin with and just took it to my brothers work....he had on of those little handheld grinder things that work on the airline..took him about 30 seconds to get it off.....but he did say it looked like the thread had locktight on it?..hmmmm

min had locktight on it. Took a vice, cutting etc . . to get it off. I got one in my front mudguard to do tomorrow. Dremmel borrowed ready to cut it.
Taken mine out tonight, and it was a real *******. There's not locktight on it, it's just the wrong bolt for that hole. Certain metals corrode when put together, like in this instance, and the two metal parts almost weld themselves together!

daved407
27-02-09, 10:15 PM
In my limited experience the footpeg bolts and brake caliper bolts do have locktite on them. This is the case with several makes not just Suzuki. But as gettin2dizzy said above, steel bolts and alloy do seem to have a chemical reaction just as though they were welded.

Glad you got it out one way or another.

_Stretchie_
28-02-09, 12:19 AM
The Haynes book of lies has tips for this

; )

Dan
28-02-09, 12:38 AM
Recommendation:

Better quality tools make for easier life.

kwak zzr
28-02-09, 12:41 AM
better quality suzuki fixings make life even easy'r